Infanta Elena and Children, Current Events Part 10: March 2011 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible accident, and one that is bound to evoke some really troublesome memories for the King and the Royal Family in general. I am glad Froilan is all right though.
Children of that age are very hard to keep an eye on; if Froilan was wounded during target practice, no matter how much his father or other adults kept an eye on him, there is always a possibility of an accident.

I´m totally against any kind of firearm, except for policemen or people in the armed forces.
What a scary accident, especially for a family with a history of tragedy with firearms.
I know many royal families hunt and teach their youngsters to hunt, but it´s something that is not only cruel but stupid.
IMO one should only hunt for food and if there is not other way around.

They probably did skeet shooting / clay pidgeon shooting and not hunt. I personally dont think that a 13 year old should carry a weapon, I guess its illegal anyway, but we know how people are, if Jaime's family is very familiar with weapons of course they include the kid, same way adults let youngsters drive cars on their property while sitting on the passenger seat. There is always a risk, some parents decide it can well be taken.

In general, I think the SRF have shoot themselves in the foot with this story because what comes up now is of course the accident in which Juan Carlos killed his own brother with a firearm decades ago.

Spanish King Juan Carlos' grandson shoots himself in foot - Telegraph

I wonder what will happen here, in other countries the police would be all over the place and for sure charges would be pressed against the parents for giving a minor access to firearms and they would be lucky if they escaped with a fine, instead of losing their license to hold firearms in the first place. Lets wait & see if everyone is equal with regard to the law, including the Borbon family. Froilan could easily have been killed if the gun hadnt pointed to the ground, or killed somebody else.

Queen Sofia and Princess Elena of Spain
leaving a hospital in Madrid after visiting Felipe Juan Froilan, Elena's 13-year-old son who accidentally shot himself in the foot while doing target practice at his father's house in Madrid
Madrid, Spain - 10.04

WENN Photo Library - Search Results

10-04-2012 Madrid Queen Sofia and Princess Elena leave the Quiron University Hospital in Madrid, where Elena's 13-year-old son, Don Felipe Juan Froilan de Marichalar, is admitted due to a bullet wound in his right foot after his smallbore rifle fired accidentally when he was exercising target practice in the courtyard of his family's second home in Soria.

http://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?start=0&zoektype=2&search=10-04-2012 Madrid

Last edited:
Glad he's okay; this could have been tragic.

I wonder what will happen here, in other countries the police would be all over the place and for sure charges would be pressed against the parents for giving a minor access to firearms and they would be lucky if they escaped with a fine, instead of losing their license to hold firearms in the first place. Lets wait & see if everyone is equal with regard to the law, including the Borbon family. Froilan could easily have been killed if the gun hadnt pointed to the ground, or killed somebody else.

The hospital notified the court, according to the law, and now they will open an investigation. I do not think Jaime de Marichalar will escape the fine and withdrawal of the arms license.

:previous: Maybe the weapon doesnt belong to Jaime but to other family members. Whoever the holder is, he will be responsible.

...the two ladies are all smiles...the Queen has said "estaban de caza" y que "con los niños siempre pasa eso". She said "with Children always happen this...? I cannot understand how can the Qeen said this... this is a very serious thing that should not be ignore...and it seams that both ladies are trying to ignore...

Why was a 13 year old holding a gun in the first place?:eek: Looks like, the Borbons insist on not learning from the past.:ermm:

Why was a 13 year old holding a gun in the first place?:eek: Looks like, the Borbons insist on not learning from the past.:ermm:

They are Marichalar, not Borbon. The accident was on the estate of Marichalar family and when the child was under the care of his father.

Really we do not know which is the opinion of the infanta, if she agrees with that her ex husband teaches the boy to shoot or not. The infanta has emphasized that the child was with his father. Evidently she is not going to criticize the father of her children in front of the press, though their relation seems that it is not precisely good, after the divorce. Queen Sofía has the attitude that has always when there is a problem, smiles and tries to diminish the importance of the things.

Spanish King's grandson, 13, shoots himself in foot in tragic reminder of day 56 years ago that Juan Carlos shot dead his own brother
The 13-year-old grandson of Spain's King Juan Carlos is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the foot with a shotgun. Felipe Juan Froilan was doing target practice outside the family home north of Madrid, when he misfired into his foot as he walked. It is thought the safety catch may have been off, which caused the small 36 calibre shotgun to accidentally fire.

It probably wouldn't have been a problem in the United States or Canada. Laws vary by state or province, but generally anyone over 12 can shoot targets or skeet. Younger kids can shoot with adults present. (Hunting rules vary more by location and game.)

But, that's clearly not the law in Spain... Between Inaki's problems and Jaime letting the kids handle guns, the king must be wishing he'd put his daughters into a convent! :)

It probably wouldn't have been a problem in the United States or Canada. Laws vary by state or province, but generally anyone over 12 can shoot targets or skeet. Younger kids can shoot with adults present. (Hunting rules vary more by location and game.)

But, that's clearly not the law in Spain... Between Inaki's problems and Jaime letting the kids handle guns, the king must be wishing he'd put his daughters into a convent! :)

In Europe its very strict. Usually there would be charges pressed against the owner of the weapon (each weapon needs to be registered) for causing bodily injury by negligence. For sure he would be subject to a fine but most likely the owner will lose the license to have weapons alltogether. The owner is responsible for the weapon and its a serious offence to give access to someone else, let alone a minor.

You never walk around with your finger on the trigger of any gun. Thank goodness it appears he is not seriously hurt. And this should be a wake up call to all Royal parents about teaching children about safety first before using anything as dangerous as a gun.

Obviously it's quite disturbing that a such thing has happened (especially because he's under age), but thank god that nothing more serious happened. I'm glad to hear that Felipe is alright.

Poor little Froilan! I hope he feels better very soon!!!

poor felipe juan froilan!!! nice to see the little leonor and sofia in hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom