The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 12:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

The court has confirmed that QMII is right now on winter holiday in Norway.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/dronning-ma...rferie-i-norge

Old 03-09-2020, 03:47 PM
Administrator

The traditional torchlight procession in the inner Palace Courtyard of Fredensborg Palace that was scheduled for March 12 has been cancelled.

Usually Queen Margrethe is welcomed by Fredensborg's citizens and scouts to Fredensborg, but today the Palace announced that the Municipality of Fredensborg together with the Royal House have decided to cancel the event for reasons of safety - mass gatherings are considered to be too dangerous due to the possible spread of the Corona virus.

** kongehuset: AFLYST: H.M. Dronningen modtager Fredensborg bys fakkeltog **

Old 03-09-2020, 04:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
The traditional torchlight procession in the inner Palace Courtyard of Fredensborg Palace that was scheduled for March 12 has been cancelled.

Usually Queen Margrethe is welcomed by Fredensborg's citizens and scouts to Fredensborg, but today the Palace announced that the Municipality of Fredensborg together with the Royal House have decided to cancel the event for reasons of safety - mass gatherings are considered to be too dangerous due to the possible spread of the Corona virus.

** kongehuset: AFLYST: H.M. Dronningen modtager Fredensborg bys fakkeltog **
Well, that's pretty much it, isn't it?

If the situation hasn't improved by 16th April the traditional balcony appearance at Amalienborg is bound to be cancelled as well. As way more than 1.000 people are expected to gather there.
Wonder how they will handle that one? A TV-greeting? (Sounds tame though.) Postponing all the festivities till next year?
Old 03-13-2020, 11:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

The court has announced that QMII upon coming back from Norway has taken up residence at Fredensborg, where she intends to stay. - Basically a self-imposed quarantine.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:09 AM
Majesty

She is obviouslt acting out of an abundance of caution. Where she leads a lot of Dane's will follow even with reluctance.

She is one smart cookie and knows in this time of national emergency her place is in Denmark being seen to lead her people per the instructions of the experts.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

I concur with Marg.
We all have to live with disappointments during this crisis.
BTW Marg I hope Jacinda Arderns travel restrictions work for NZ.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:09 AM
Aristocracy

The queen will adress the nation tonight at 20:00 pm

Hendes Majestæt Dronningen taler til befolkningen | Kongehuset

Her majesty the queen will this evening adress the whole nation from Fredensborg palace, about the serious situation in connection med with the spread of corona virus. The speech will be shown 20:00 pm on DR and TV2.

The queens speech is recorded this afternoon.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

QMII gave a short speech, which will probably be available in English shortly.

It was a full support of the government and the health authorities and cracking the whip a little: Do what is being told, people will die, if you don't!
She mentioned that not all people seems to have understood the seriousness, like still going ahead celebrating round birthdays. (QMII has as you know cancelled hers.)

She used a phrase which was good: "We must stand together, by keeping a distance to each other."

- It is sensational that a Danish Monarch speaks to the nation outside the New Year address.

--------------

One of the problems the authorities is facing is that the weather, for once, is good, so people milled out into parks and public places, without being able to maintain a proper distance during the weekend.

ADDED: A photo from a private home of people watching QMII's speech:
https://images.scribblelive.com/2020...7c9ede228e.jpg

Such an extraordinary speech has not been held by a Danish Monarch since 1945.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
QMII gave a short speech, which will probably be available in English shortly.
Her Majesty The Queen’s Address on the Coronavirus Situation | The Danish Monarchy - Front Page
Old 03-19-2020, 09:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Normally QMII moves her residence to Marselisborg in Aarhus, during Easter, but due to the Corona crisis, she has decided to remain at Fredensborg.

- A sound precaution. When QMII moves residence, a number of people are on the move as well. From drivers, to PET officers to guardsmen.

And at present a number of guardsmen from the Guards Battalion of the Royal Lifeguards Regiment are in quarantine at their barracks in Høvelte Barracks.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am surprised that the Queen chose to describe the actions of some of her subjects as "thoughtless" and "inconsiderate".
Old 03-19-2020, 11:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I am surprised that the Queen chose to describe the actions of some of her subjects as "thoughtless" and "inconsiderate".
I'm not surprised at all. The Queen has previously never shied away from taking the Danes by the ears if they misbehave. This was very much Mutti Margrethe speaking. She's also right - the actions of those not adhering to government guidelines is endangering the health and even the lives of others. I might have chosen more colourful words myself to express my feelings about those people.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

That is really an excellent address. It hits all the important points: it admonishes those who aren't taking it seriously, offers sympathy and encouragement, and thanks those who are doing the hard work of dealing with the crisis. It's exactly what is needed from QMII right now.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I'm not surprised at all. The Queen has previously never shied away from taking the Danes by the ears if they misbehave. This was very much Mutti Margrethe speaking.
Thank you for the clarification! I was unfamiliar with the history of the Queen's speeches.
Out of curiosity, what were her most memorable "Mutti Margrethe" remarks previous to this?
Old 03-24-2020, 02:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

An all time high number watched QMII address the Danes on occasion of Corona, 3.3 million out of a population of 5.8 million.

In comparison 2.1 watched QMII's last New Year speech. A viewer rating most can only dream about.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...e-slaar-rekord
Old 04-02-2020, 12:26 PM
Majesty

You really can't underestimate the place a royal family holds in the heart of its people. When SHTF in as dire and devastating a way as the arrival of Covid-19 they are the glue.

People's entire lives are disrupted, even destroyed, jobs are lost and, in many cases, absolutely no money is coming in and fear rules the hearts and minds of the people. Their lives have been shattered and nobody has a clue what the "new nornal" will be.

This is when a connection showing mlyour monarch and royal family going about the business of living in a calm and confident manner, with grace and kindness speaks even louder than any words. They act as an anchor speaking praise or demanding the government do better. They praise those on the frontline, having spent their lives visiting frontlines caused by fire, flood and earthquake. Now we add Covid-19 and see they or their families are in as much danger as everybody else! And they help lead the way, cool, cam and collrcted
Old 04-07-2020, 03:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

QMII has given an interview to a women's magazine, where she talks about her life coming to an end.
Her relationship to her grandchildren.
Her health.
Thoughts about PH.

- As not much else is happening, I think I'll have a look at it.

-------------

And for your viewing pleasure.
Here is an article by the same magazine.

In which the author claims QMII would be a good fashion-blogger should she decide to go online. - One of the main arguments is that QMII always know how to pose and present herself in the photo. (That is selected by photo-editors in the various picture agencies and magazines, but don't let trivialities get in the way of a good fill-story.)
https://www.alt.dk/mode/dronning-margrethe-stil
Old 04-08-2020, 03:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...nningen-paaske

QMII will spend Easter at Fredensborg - pretty much on her own all Easter.
Apart from a LiW and an adjutant and a couple more from her staff.

There will be no guests, no going to church (being a devout Christian Easter is otherwise very important for QMII) and no lunch with the family.
QMII sticks to the guidelines issued by the government - and in her own speech.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...nningen-paaske

QMII will spend Easter at Fredensborg - pretty much on her own all Easter.
Apart from a LiW and an adjutant and a couple more from her staff.

There will be no guests, no going to church (being a devout Christian Easter is otherwise very important for QMII) and no lunch with the family.
QMII sticks to the guidelines issued by the government - and in her own speech.
I suspect it will be the same for a lot of the royals around the world: The Queen and Prince Philip at Windsor, C&C up at Birkhall, The Cambridges at Anmer, Princess BEatrix probably on her own, J-C and Sofia in their individual corners of Zarzuela....
Old 04-09-2020, 03:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Summary of interview with QMII in Alt for Damerne #15, 2020.
Interviewer: Marie-Louise Truelsen.

The interview is based on a number of photos of QMII wearing a dress or an outfit, then the questions gradually shift to other topics.
I will in this summary omit the dresses, unless relevant, and instead focus on answers from QMII that are of more general interest in regards to QMII's personality and opinions.
If you wish I may write a little about what QMII has to say about the photos.

Here we go.
QMII is asked about her thought about turning 80.
QMII: "Yes, time flies and then all of a sudden you are going to turn 80. I can't quite understand it myself. But when I look back I can see a tremendous lot has happened. A lot happens in 80 years.
You are used to regard people of 80 as very old and I don't that at all myself. But of course I probably am. (Laughing)"

A: Do You feel people look at You differently today?
Not really, responds QMII, probably because she has reached the age where people don't that much from year to year.
"I feel the same as I have for the past many years."

A: Do You still feel young inside?
QMII: "I certainly don't feel like an old person. I have never pondered much about my age. After all it's no secret. Everybody in the country knows when I was born and makes it all very easy."

A: Is there an age You look back on as something especially nice?
QMII is more thinking about that she has now been more than 50 for 30 years. She doesn't really thing at was that long ago she was 50.

A: What thoughts do You have about the coming ten years?
QMII: "I don't think there are ten years ahead of me. I really don't. But we shall see. I don't feel time is running out, but with a certain degree of realism you have to acknowledge that there isn't ten years ahead of me."

A: But You are healthy and well?
QMII: "Yes, and that's good as long as it lasts."

A: How is it to think that there are perhaps not ten years ahead of You?
QMII: "I'm actually very at ease with that. I'm busy because I do 117 things (= a zillion) all the time, so no, that doesn't play a big role as the years go by, I think."

A: "What's the best part of the age You have now?
QMII points to her experience build up over many years doing what she does.

A: Is there another calm or overview?
QMII: "Yes, perhaps there is, that might be."

A: I watched the documentary about Frederik IX, about Your father recently, how was it for You to take part and look back on history in that way?
QMII: "It was fun to be reminded about many things from that period. I actually think they did the series very well, but at the same time I can also see that the interior is undeniable somewhat made up. Apart from the scenes that really does take place in the real places, I couldn't help thinking from time to time: Well, that's NOT how it looked at my parents home. (Laughing.)"

A: What's the worst part of being Your age?
QMII responds that no longer being able to ski does annoy her, but apart from some physical limitations, she's pretty well.

A: Do You pick all the clothes You are seen wearing Yourself?
She does.

A: What does it mean to You to gather the whole family?
QMII: "It's nice when the whole family can gather. We were all gathered during Christmas 2018 and that was very, very cozy. We are so fortunate that we have pretty good room where we live, so there is room enough for people can be both together and not sit on each others lap all the time. And that's fine. And all the kids are outside most of the time, especially at Cayx, because the weather is usually summely. And during Christmas we gather around all the traditions and enjoy that."

A: How is it to see all the grandchildren together?
QMII: "I have noticed that Prince Joachim's two big boys are fantastically sweet towards their younger siblings. There is a very lovely relationship between Prince Joachim's four children, that I'm very impressed with. And the little ones look up to the two big ones, and that's so utterly charming/sweet."

A: How are You as farmor (paternal grandmother)?
QMII: "I'm certainly no exemplary farmor. I really am not. I think it's difficult to see as much to the children as I really would like to or ought to. And that's probably because I still have a lot to do, which is probably is the big difference between me and other grandmothers. I still have my hands full, so that's why there isn't quite as much time for the grandchildren. As it is now, most of the grandchildren out abroad. In Paris and Switzerland. Fortunately both teams are tremendously happy with their schools and that's nice to see.
Unfortunately I don't think I will have time to visit any of them while they are abroad."

- Okay, I'm taking a break.

There is much more though.
- Overcoming the loss of her husband.
- The last years of PH and how it was for the best he died.
- Her friends.
- The balance between being a royal, and being normal.

You may enjoy the scans here, and those who can understand Danish may enjoy the text as well:
https://app.box.com/s/udkhrgdgm0hg0nto6nvhdvsvbypnvish

Closed Thread