Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 6: July 2017 - February 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Put Queen Daisy amongst the ruins and you have a happy Queen Daisy! Its clear to see that she's at a place she really enjoys being at. Perhaps that's one of her favorite perks of being who she is. She gets to satisfy the amateur archaeologist in her soul sometimes. :D

Wonderful pictures.

It really is wonderful to see the Queen enjoying one of her passions. and in lovely Rome

Queen Daisy is very much in her element during this trip. She gets to mesh her royal duties with her profound interest in ancient ruins and relics. She even looks dressed for the part in her pants suit. All that's missing is the pith helmet.

Are the pants too tight or too lose? :ohmy:

Or are we seeing a QMII version of burying the hands in her (non existing) pockets? ?
She must really be relaxed.

Later this evening there will be a programme in the occasion of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation here in DK, where QMII among other things will talk about her faith and thoughts about life and death.
Should be interesting.
I expect to see it on the Net at some point and perhaps write a summary here.

Are the pants too tight or too lose? :ohmy:

Or are we seeing a QMII version of burying the hands in her (non existing) pockets? ?
She must really be relaxed.

Later this evening there will be a programme in the occasion of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation here in DK, where QMII among other things will talk about her faith and thoughts about life and death.
Should be interesting.
I expect to see it on the Net at some point and perhaps write a summary here.

I hope there is. I, for one, would be very interested in hearing her thoughts.

The pants are just right. She looks very comfortable and ready, willing and able to climb among the ruins if given the chance to. I love her sense of color even with a neutral shade in the pants suit.

Here are a few more photos from Queen Margrethe II visit to sites in Rome ,the queen looked very interested in her surroundings.

PPE Agency

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #43, 2017.
Written by Trine Larsen.

As you know QMII has now arrived in Rome, where she is indulging herself in her passion for archeology and history.
QMII has of course been to Rome before and some 60 years ago she went there with her morfar, King Gustav VI Adolf, with whom she was very close.
The two of them went digging together and these digs are among the places QMII is visiting these days. One such place was Necropolis in Tarquinia, where she took part in excavating an Etruscan town.
- The Etruscans had a vivid vision about the afterlife, constructing what was essentially minor towns for the death. They also dominated at least the northern half of what is now Italy - including Rome, which was pretty insignificant back then. So when the Romans came up on top, they made sure to present the Etruscans as a civilization obsessed with death. The Romans were masters in propaganda and history-rewriting. Their views on the Carthaginians were widely believed as the gospel truth until not much more than 50-75 years ago.
But QMII is also visiting a Italian-Danish dig at Ceasar's Forum in Rome. I imagine she will be spell-bound!
As a head of state QMII will naturally drop by the Italian head of state to say hello.

There will be more coverage of QMII's visit next week.

- It's nice to see QMII enjoying herself. She is clearly going to see places and doing things that has her interest and for which she is passionate. I think it's been many years since QMII has visited that many historical sites and archeological digs as in the past year or two.
The more heavy stuff is now left to M&F. - Apart from the odd state visit, which she is still taking on. But I wonder for how much longer?

Anyway, here is this weeks issue of BB: BB #43, 2107

HM Majesty back problem seems going better. She is right to wear confortable flat shoes.

`Did H.M.The Queen visit the Pope during the visit to Rome?

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #43, 2017.
[...]
QMII has of course been to Rome before and some 60 years ago she went there with her morfar, King Gustav VI Adolf, with whom she was very close.
[...]

I like the expressions farfar, farmor, morfar and mormor. It is indicates directly which grandparent is meant.

Queen Margrethe:

Farfar - Christian X Konge af Danmark
Farmor - Alexandrine Herzogin von Mecklenburg-Schwerin
Morfar - Gustaf VI Adolf Kung av Sverige
Mormor - Princess Margaret of the United Kingdom of Great-Britain and Ireland

Last edited:
I have now seen the programme where QMII talked mainly about her faith and it was as can be expected well worth watching. After all, when QMII opens her mouth usually something interesting comes out.

The programme was made on the occasion of Luther starting a wave of reformations 500 years ago. In 1536 the Reformation came to DK - and was surprisingly peaceful here. Apart from one order, all monks and nuns were allowed to stay in their abbeys and cloisters until the last one died. Some cloisters were amalgamated for practical reasons but otherwise no persecution and no vandalism took place. I've written about that before and that's outside the scope of this post.

Back to QMII.
You can watch the programme here: https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/dronningens-roede-trad/-/dronningens-roede-trad
And I will encourage those interested to do so, while keeping an eye on this post. because QMII's facial expressions is half the show.
I can't provide a translation of what she says, that would take at least four hours! What I have done instead is to give the film-segments a headline, so to speak and then provide a brief summary of QMII's comments to the clips.

Here we go.

We start at 00:55 after the introduction. What does the Lutheran church mean to QMII?
- She admits she wasn't much of a churchgoer. But she eventually discovered that there was so much to gain by going to church.

01:47. As Queen of DK and head of the church, she's actually the only one in DK who does not have a right to choose her religion. A freedom Luther advocated.
- She finds it wonderful that she doesn't have to look for a version of religion that suits her better than others. Instead she has to work from where she is and that's it. And then she tries to do her best within those frames and it's actually liberating not to have that concern.

- Her parents were regular churchgoers, her father more than her mother. During her childhood she and her sisters were sometimes told: "It really is time for you, to come with us to church". Okay then. But it didn't mean much to her back then. Nor at her confirmation. She thought: Christianity that's sort of for older people and it's a bit over the top. A bit gross actually and she didn't want that!
But she discovered it wasn't so. You are not supposed to disconnect your brain when going to church. On the contrary. There is plenty to chew on, also intellectually.

1953. Youth. Heir. Marriage.
06:00.
- She clearly remembers her wedding day.
But could she concentrate on God in that situation? Or were her thoughts mostly on love?
She wasn't particularly religious at that point in her life. When she had become an adult and didn't tag along with her parents anymore, she didn't go much to church at all. It was more a formality for her back then.

J&M's wedding. QMII going to Luther's church to unveil the antependium she had created for the church.
09:00.
She was surprised but very moved when being asked to create the antependium.
Red was chosen because that's the color they use during Whitsunday and festive occasions. That symbolizes the Holy Spirit. The flames suits the passion of Luther. The rose was Luther's personal symbol.
The Danish Reformation was an adoption of Luther's version and has been embraced to such an extent that's it not possible to distinguish it from Danish culture in general. Not least because DK had some excellent poets who wrote a number of brilliant psalms that are used to this day.
She doesn't have favorite psalms as such, but she always sings along, although not very well.

12:50.
She likes the idea of belonging to a parish. Where you know your church, your priest and fellow churchgoers. In Copenhagen she usually go to the nearest church. Garnisons Kirke. But also the Naval Church, which means so much to her, her family and father.

Frederik's baptism:
14:10.
QMII prefer a service to take place they way it usually is done. The sermon can be different, sometimes good, sometimes less good. But even if the sermon is less than interesting you can still enjoy a service or simply enjoy the church.
She can't help viewing a church with her archeological eye.

Her beloved father.
Frederik IX was a very modern father! He not only pushed the pram but also changed diapers, something that men usually had no clue about until some three decades later.
17:45.
This is the first time for many years she has seen the whole speech she gave on that day.
This was a really significant day for her. This is it. Now it's for real.
It was an icy day and shortly after 1968, yet so many thousands turned up. "You gotta be kidding!" She thought.
She felt this is it, but she won't be alone. Not just because of the public support. "There was more than that. This I couldn't do on my own. But I wasn't to be on my own". (19:25)
Did she find faith that day?
Dunno, that's a fancy way to put it. She discovered that the faith was an essential part of her and that she could not live without it.
The funeral was a strong experience for her. Especially the tolling cathedral bells, which filled the air.

21:50:
The death of her father woke her up spiritually speaking.
She rode on a wave, realizing that she was to fulfill her task, but not fulfilling it alone.
When she was in her early 30's she met and had a lengthy discussion with a number of theologians. It was a discussion, sometimes very funny discussion, on a certain intellectual level about church, Christianity and service. But also in a levelheaded way, which she very much appreciated. Because with her partly scientific background (having studied archeology on an advanced level) she cannot help looking at Christianity in a analytical, investigating way.
To her it fits the Lutheran way of thinking. I.e. that you are to use your brain, also in church.
So is it an intellectual joy for her?
It is, but you are also to have your feelings, it's not one or the other. You are to use your brain and heart.

Chasubles.
25:00.
It was very much Queen Ingrid who inspired QMII to make chasubles.
Traditionally the four seasons each have their own chasuble. In different colors. It started with a green chasuble for Fredensborg Palace Church and then it caught on.

27:00.
Initially she was a bit hesitant to use bright colors for the chasubles. (27:10) "And that simply isn't my style! Not at all." A service is also a festive occasion with colors.
Day to day is fine, but it has to be distinguished from the everyday life. So colorful chasubles helps make a service a festive occasion.

M&F's wedding.
29:45.
This time she had more of an overview to ponder the religious part of the ceremony.
But despite being married in the church, many get divorced?
True, but a church wedding isn't mortar. So that people can't get unstuck. The church blessing isn't a another spice to put in the dish called marriage. It something to work from.

Queen Ingrid's funeral.
33:50.
How has faith helped her grieving?
We have lost one dear to us, and we are sad about that, but that person is safe. Her parents lived and fulfilled a long life and for that there is only to be grateful. But of course you are sad. But if you are so fortunate to have your faith you know they are in good hands.

Her proverb: With the help of God, the love of the people, the strength of Denmark.
35:25.
The proverb was decided during the days her father was dying and it is derived from the proverbs of three kings.

QMII has once said that no one is ready to bow out, because you always want to turn yet another leaf in the book. Is that still her opinion?
37:20.
Oh yes, she still thinks she's only middle-aged even though she's an "elderly wife".
Few people plan their own funeral, but she has to.
That's pretty natural to her and (37:47) "because one can't help interfere in everything, right?"
It's a good thing to plan ahead so that you don't have to reinvent the wheel each time.
You can't just do it in the spur of the moment, after all "you don't know the hour."

Christian's baptism.
39:55.
How was it to see your grandchild being baptized?
It was a lovely occasion. They stood there with their firstborn.
Baptism is a pretty serious affair, you agree to quite a lot of things. And it was paramount in Luther's teachings. What do you think you should consider before a baptism?
She has never considered that they shouldn't be baptized. She believe it's very important to christen your children when they are babies. They can't consent to anything but you can't consent to life either. We are being born without being asked. And we need someone to take care of us. Beyond what our parents, family and close friends can do for us. And that's the purpose of the christening. The child becomes a part of something that is much bigger and which can last all the way. And it's a lovely occasion.

41:40.
Does she doubt?
Of course you do. You are not altogether convinced about everything 24/7/365. But there is still the underlying feeling that you are not alone. And being in doubt if totally legitimate.

She always end her New Year speeches with: God preserve/save Denmark.
That has been a tradition since the first new year speeches were broadcast on the wireless.

- I hope this summary made sense. ?

Last edited:
I can't thank you enough for this Muhler. As a practicing Christian myself, one of the reasons I admire Your Queen so much is her faith and the times she has spoken about it in a very thoughtful and intelligent way. I also love her church vestments and yes, colourful is a good description of them! I've shown members of my own church the altar cloth that she embroidered for Wittenberg and everyone has been very impressed.

Does the Queen and Prince Henrik take part in celebration of the 500th Anniversary of Reformation?

:previous:
From the The Danish Monarchy website - translated by me:

October 31th:

The Queen, the CP couple, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and Princess Benedikte is present at a ceremony on the occasion of the Reformation Anniversary. Landstingssalen and Vandrehallen, Christiansborg, at 11:00 (Danish time).

The Queen, the CP couple, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and Princess Benedikte attends a fest-concert on the occasion of the Reformation Jubilee. DR Concert Hall at 19:45 (Danich time).

From me: There are no information (on the TV-GUIDE sites) whether it will be sent live or not, but according to the DR Concert Hall site, the concert will be sent live on DRK (not the main channel).

In Norway, events like this would have been sent live on NRK1 (the main channel). And that is also the case, the evening service at Nidaros Cathedral on October 31th (attended by the NRF) is being sent live on NRK1.

BTW, thanks to Muhler for his great post.

Last edited:
Having got myself all prepared to watch the programme re QM talking about her faith etc it won't let me see it outside of Denmark, [emoji45] Usually, most of their programmes about the Danish royal family are viewable so I was surprised and disappointed about this. Here's hoping they will make it accessible at some point (unless someone knows how I can fake a Danish IP address, lol!)

Thank you once again, Muhler for your wonderful post that give such good insights on the words of Queen Daisy.

I do so admire her for her ability to put her thoughts into words and be able to speak openly and frankly about how she sees things. She is quite an intelligent person and one has to know that she's also a very thoughtful one.

Having got myself all prepared to watch the programme re QM talking about her faith etc it won't let me see it outside of Denmark, [emoji45] Usually, most of their programmes about the Danish royal family are viewable so I was surprised and disappointed about this. Here's hoping they will make it accessible at some point (unless someone knows how I can fake a Danish IP address, lol!)

What a pity. I'm sure though that it will be uploaded later for all to see, or end up on youTube.

Have you tried using Hola or another VPN?

You learn something new every day, lol! Thank you very much for the suggestion JR76 - I will give it a go.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #44, 2017.
Written by our woman in Italy, Trine Larsen.

As you know QMII went to Italy to mainly have a look at art and archeological excavations, thoroughly enjoying herself!
It was also a Queen in fine form who at the end was interviewed by our reporter.
QMII mainly stayed in Rome, but she also went to the old Etrucian lands and visited the town of Tarquinnia, where she had been excavating herself some 60 years ago, with her morfar.
Actually princess Margrethe visited Italy for the first time back in 1955, by then she was already bitten by a mad archeologist and it was her mother, Queen Ingrid, who told her father about princess Margrethe's passion, so he invited her along.

In the town of Tarquinnia, QMII was received by the local mayor at the local town hall, that is decorated with frescoes from the middle ages, so QMII was pretty delighted from the very start!
She was then invited for lunch at one of the local restaurants and QMII decided to stroll through the town to the restaurant. That was very appreciated by the locals who applauded her and uttered several "vivera la regina". - (I've only had the pleasure of visiting Northern Italy, but this is very much in line with the general friendly nature the Italians give the impression of showing.)

In Rome QMII went to the museum Galleria Borghese to have a look at sculptures. One in particular delighted her! But more on that later.

QMII started the interview with explaining the reason for going to Italy: "We were there to emphasize and formalize that now they start making new investigations of the forum which Cesar made... That is before the forum that today is in Rome (Forum Romanum). It's located more or less under ground... yes, so many things here are... and the there the Italians and the Danes have joined forces. It's very, very exciting and - you'd be safe to say - a very fine feather in the cap for Danish science that the Italians will have us to join them at nothing less than Forum Romanum.
And since we were there I asked for the opportunity to ask: What am I looking at, when I walk around here. Because I don't know much about Forum Romanum".

Q: The Queen however looked very thrilled?
QMII: "Yes, it's always amusing (a favorite expression of QMII) to talk about something that is interesting or which I at least think is interesting".

Q: For the rest of us however it can look like there isn't much left to dig, because it has already been excavated?
QMII: "Well... They can't dig the ground in Italy, and certainly not in Rome, without something popping up which hasn't been found before. Because it's so dense, there is so much. That's one of the things which I think is wildly (here she's picked up a grandchildly expression) frustrating, on one hand for the scientists because they can't keep up, and on the other hand for those who are to dig the bigger holes in the ground, that they can hardly work and put the spade in the ground before they again have to stop, because archeologists have to be called in, who must see and investigate this and that".

Q: When Your Majesty visit a city like Rome does the Queen have time to visit tourists attractions like the rest of us?
QMII: "I haven't this time. But I did many years ago. But it's not that, I... that is, that's also very nice, certainly. But I think there are so many other things you can experience when you come to Rome".

Q: What for instance?
QMII: "Well, I was for example at Palazzio Borghese and that's aplace Ive never been to before.
That's the place where you can see some of the grandest sculptures... but classical ancient, but very much also the Baroc and Renaissance. And then there is the famous Pauline Borghese, the sister of Napoleon who was married to Prince Borghese and who let herself depict in the bare... be quiet! (to herself) It was very daring but she's lying there like a Venus and a marble bench with a little cushion... stark, stark... and very beautiful"!

"My parents walked around and experienced the city (Rome) and had special places, they were very fond of. Not least my mother always made sure to see something she hadn't seen before. So they knew Rome fantastically well.
They brought me along for the first time in the spring of 1955, during Easter, where I had just been confirmed. They made a confirmation-journey for me and brought me down here to Rome. That I thought was totally fantastic".

Q: Your Majesty has had good memories with both Your parents and Your morfar, the Swedish King, down here. Has the Queen had the same opportunity with Your own children and grandchildren?
QMII: "Well, yeah, I'm afraid that hasn't happened. It wasn't something that right lit a fire and fascinated my poor sons. And the grandchildren are... no, I'm afraid I haven't done anything about that in that respect. After all I didn't want to shove it in their heads, but it might be that some of them one day still discover how much exciting things there are of that kind. But to be honest I haven't been so good to do anything about it".

Q: Does the Queen have some good travel-memories with Your grandchildren?
QMII: "No, I haven't actually traveled with my grandchildren to any extent. I can't claim that. We do see each other... once in a while, that is, we see each other regularly, but I must admit it's not so terribly often I get the time to look after my grandchildren".

But when another journalists asks about PH's health:
QMII: "Well, yeah, he's fine. Thank you... but I think we should otherwise stick to Rome".

-------------

See for yourselves in the BB issue this week, which is packed with DRF coverage!
BB #44, 2017

-----------------------------------

On another note, the old friends QMII and Queen Sonja went to a concert in Copenhagen tonight: Dronning Margrethe og dronning Sonja til koncert | BILLED-BLADET

The concert is named the Queen Sonja Competition and BB writes it's considered among the most esteemed music competitions in the world.

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #44, 2017.
Written by our woman in Italy, Trine Larsen.

Q: Does the Queen have some good travel-memories with Your grandchildren?
QMII: "No, I haven't actually traveled with my grandchildren to any extent. I can't claim that. We do see each other... once in a while, that is, we see each other regularly, but I must admit it's not so terribly often I get the time to look after my grandchildren".

But when another journalists asks about PH's health:
QMII: "Well, yeah, he's fine. Thank you... but I think we should otherwise stick to Rome".

thank you Muhler! :flowers: You can tell the Queen enjoyed this trip tremendously. And I hope she one days travels with a few of her grandchildren, it helps that they are getting older.
A few years back, her and Frederik did a private trip to Greenland and she said how much she enjoyed the time together.
and I loved the last answer ;)

a few more pictures from the Queens outing to a concert tonight.
https://kendte.dk/fejring-af-dronning-sonja/?image=1

Today, November 6, Queen Margrethe received a copy of the book "The Invisible People" about the stagecraft and -hands at the Royal Theatre over the last 100 years. Queen Margrethe has written the preface of the book:

** Pic **

QM looks just delighted to receive the book and that look on her face says it all.

Now I wonder what color is on those walls, such a soft pretty color for any event.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom