Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 5: November 2015 - July 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dronningen hægtede prins Henrik af i svingdøren | BILLED-BLADET

The Regent Couple went to the Opera to see the Finnish National Ballet perform on the occasion of Finlands 100th anniversary for its independence.
Apparently QMII was so eager to see the ballet that she rushed through the revolving door, leaving PH stranded for a few seconds - in the door... :lol:

I think it's more plausible that QMII simply walked too fast for her husband, who is now a slow walker. - So he was left trailing behind...

- aaaand she's used to be on her own by now...

Thank you, Iceflower. :flowers:

Yes, the National Museum in particular is being flooded these years with archeological artifacts and several major finds have been made. Due to amateur archeologists with metal detectors. - Some of the finds are even sensational!
We can rest assured that QMII has read about every single one of them! You may also recall that she visited an archeological dig during the summer cruise. - They could hardly tear her away...

All finds are to be reported to the museums. There they will be assessed by experts an if insignificant the finder can keep them. Like flint-arrows and what not and sometimes pins as well.
But silver, gold, weapons, tools are much sought after by the museums for analysis. Such finds are usually labelled "danefæ" which can be translated to national treasure. Once assessed by the expert the finder will receive a reward as well as an amount equivalent to the metal-value of the find. And the finder's name will be registered in connection with the find. (There is some bragging rights there). - But due to the many finds, there is now an almost two year waiting list before the finds have been assessed.

However, it is a criminal offense to sell "danefæ", even if you don't know if it is "danefæ". Because unless you are very ignorant you should always go to the authorities and most if not all amateur archeologists dream about the day they end up in the news after having been the cause of a major find. :cool:

The holy grail among DK archeologists, amateur as well as professionals, is to find either the broken off piece of the gold-horns seen here or a third horn. - That is a genuine possibility and if that happens QMII will rush to see them, even if she personally has to dig herself through two meters of snow!
Here are replicas of the horn. (The horns themselves have a dramatic story. The originals were stolen and melted down). https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0d/Guldhornene_DO-10765_original.jpg

Thanks again, Iceflower. :flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #5, 2017.
Written by Dorte Quist.

As you can see in the galleries posted above QMII went to the National Museum to open the exhibition of Danefæ. And to put it mildly, it was difficult to drag her away!
After giving a speech to the amateur-archeologists present, QMII went for a tour of the exhibition, taking her time! - Despite having seen many of the displayed items in other museums all over DK over the past couple of years.
QMII studied archeology at Cambridge in 1960-61.

QMII was seen carrying a bag from Longchamp, Le Pliage Heritage.

- I like that QMII as usual cuts down a silly question from the reporter at the end of the video. In response to the question of what danefæ that has been the biggest find, she responds (loosly translated): "That's kinda... What's the biggest? A skyscraper or a crack from a thunder-flash".

Last edited:
The article I referred to yesterday has now been moved to the subscriber section. Never mind. I remember the most important bits.

Afsløring: Hemmelige forberedelser til Dronning Margrethes begravelse er langt fremme | BT Special - www.bt.dk

The construction of the sarcophagus in which QMII and PH will be laid to rest in Roskilde Cathedral is nearing completion.
It consists of several glass pieces each weighing about a ton, which must fit together perfectly or the thing will fall apart.
A trial-assembly will take place this summer.

The designer is Danish, but the artist constructing the sarcophagus is Czech and it's also there it is being made. The artist is delighted! It's a big challenge, because it appears to be the largest glass-sculpture ever made, at least that is made to last.
QMII in particular has been very much involved in the creation process.

The whole thing is being filmed for a documentary that will be aired at the end of 2017.

At the same time the death-masks of QMII and PH have already been made. - I actually thought such masks were made shortly after the person died, but at least here the Regent Couple have had them made will they are still alive and well. - That should of course give more "life" so to speak to their effigies.

I think this will be a documentary absolutely well worth watching!

Are there sketches of the sarcophagus?

Thank you.

It sure is! - Part of the article, and I can't remember the specific details, described the symbolism.

Something about being in a limbo, between grave and Heaven. Or elevated from the grave to Heaven. And that Christianity is transparent - presumably in the sense that you can't hide/pretend.
Also, it had to be something that is both modern and light. Typical of today's style and period with today's materials.

If M&F decide to be buried outside the cathedral like Frederik's morfar and mormor it may be as long as another 100 years before a new sarcophagus is made.

I was impressed when I saw inside of the Church of Roskilde the Tomb of Queen Margarethe the First.
Will their brand new Sarcophage have the same size ??

Will the sarcophagus be already find his place in Roskilde Cathedral when it is ready? Or will this have to wait until either Queen Margrethe or Prince Henrike had passed away?

As far as i habve understand from when it was presented Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrike will actually be buried under the floor one which the sarcophagus will be placed.

Last edited:
:previous: Perhaps. - IMO it may be less morbid for tourists to come and see the sarcophagus before it's taken into use, so to speak.

I also believe they are supposed to be buried underneath. Despite all precautions I can imagine that accidents can occur should they be placed inside the glass-effigy. And that would be - unpleasant.

:previous:
:previous: That'll be interesting to see. It sure is going to be pretty big!

Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

I should very much like to see that exhibition with QMII as tour guide. That would make some interesting five hours!

Queen Margrethe as Patron of the 2017 Anniversary of the Reformation opened the exhibition "THESES. Danish Contemporary Artists in Dialogue with the Reformation" at the Round Tower in Copenhagen today, March 10.

25 Danish artists had been invited to reflect on the Reformation and its significance. The exhibition commemorates the 500th anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation.

** kongehuset.dk gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:

Queen Margrethe as Patron of the 2017 Anniversary of the Reformation opened the exhibition "THESES. Danish Contemporary Artists in Dialogue with the Reformation" at the Round Tower in Copenhagen today, March 10.

25 Danish artists had been invited to reflect on the Reformation and its significance. The exhibition commemorates the 500th anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation.

** kongehuset.dk gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

Here are some additional photos from the Reformation Exhibition at Rundetarn in Copenhagen today.

PPE

PPE Agency

Summary of interview in Billed Bladet #07, 2017.
By Trine Larsen.

QMII was recently interviewed by the Association The North, about the Scandinavian countries and her relationship with the other Nordic royal familes.
That is very much in QMII's frank and cheerful style! - I may need some help for better translations of some of QMII's expressions.

QM: "We have a tendency to believe that we here in Denmark are damned good, and when we add to the other Nordic countries, we are even better. But then we do have some weight behind the words.
The typical for us is that we are five nations (*) with closely related languages. We can understand each other without to much waving the arms around - and in many cases without having to translate. (**)
If we make a bit of effort we can easily find each others in our language and it is quite unique in the world that five completely independent nations have such a close language-community.
Well, we write differently and we pronounce differently, but from a common base".

Q: Besides the language what is the most important common ballast?
QMII: "I think history is the most important for the sense of community (***) and I'm also very fond of experiencing and exploring the roots of history, not only in the Denmark and the North. (****)
But even though the common history binds us together, I believe you can sense the Nordic roots very close up, no matter where you originally had your roots. You go far with interest, knowledge and understanding. Regardless whether it's about Nordic history and identity or something completely different".

Does QMII see herself as a Nordic person?
QMII: "Yes, absolutely. I probably know Norway the best of the Nordic countries, because I have very close friends in Norway and have been skiing in Norway for a couple of weeks every years for the past twenty years, all the way back to 1973.
I think I know Norway pretty well, I have certainly trodden through many kilometers of Norwegian snow on skis...".
She adds that she hasn't had that under the skin experiences in Sweden even though she knows the country pretty well, not least through her morfar (maternal grandfather).

About the Nordic RF's, she says: "My own family relations is a bridge in itself (between the countries). The Nordic royal families belong together. We are very clsoe to each other. The same thing applies for the children. The Crown Prince is very, very good friends with Crown Prince Victoria and Prince Daniel. It's the same for his relationship to Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit. They see each other a lot, but at each others homes and out in the world. They are closer that I were to my cousins (male cousins), because the three heirs are close age-wise.
The present king Harald was pretty adult when I was fifteen, and not grown up at all!. The same thing with King Carl Gustav who is six years younger tan me. Back then he was just a little kid, but now that we are real grown-ups all of us, we have become closer".
QMII hope and is indeed confident that the good RF-relationships will continue in the future.

It annoys QMII that Swedish and Norwegian and the culture and literature of these countries are hardly taught in schools anymore. - That's true. They were in my time. We were introduced to some of the literature by Swedish and Norwegian authors. And Swedish children's programmes were (and are!) extremely popular and not anywhere as politically correct as nowadays.
QMII was also taught Swedish in school and in fact that made it difficult for her, because having Swedish relatives, she spoke Swedish better than her teacher. Her relatives had problems understanding Danish, so she had to speak Swedish when she was with her cousins. (*****)

Despite the fact that the Nordic countries have a lot in common and that you almost feel at home and a part of it if you see a name like Volvo abroad, there are differences.
"Especially the Danes are very good at teasing the others. We are so laid back. We are so funny! The Danes are bad at not taking anything seriously/solemnly. We like to say that if we get away with it, we get way with it, and if we don't get away with it, it's probably work out alright anyway. (Please substitute with a better phrase. :))"

But are we really that great here in the North?
QMII: "Sure we are! We also have a tendency here in Denmark to think we are damned good, and when we add the other Nordic countries, we are even better".
Yeah, well. We do have a tendency, each of us, to be enough in ourselves (better phrase anyone?) and very much when together. But is that necessarily a negative trait"?

Q: Can our values be used internationally?
QMII: "We certainly believe that ourselves. Deep down we believe we are best and that others can learn a tremendously lot from us. We are certainly best at being Nordic - that is, us in the five Nordic countries.
The very most important thing is that it feels natural that you associate with one another. That is more important than what treaties and deals will say, even though I certainly will not put down the formal Nordic association-organizations (like Nordic Council).
The Swedes are moving along a different course that Denmark and Norway. It is glimpsed that the Swedes feel more accomplished than the rest of us, even though that tendency probably and hopefully is waning. That can amuse one's black soul"! (******)

(*) Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Iceland and Finland, where the second language is to a very large degree is Swedish.

(**) Most Copenhageners, unsurprisingly, understand Swedish very well indeed. It's a bit different for us in the western part of DK. We are not exposed much to Swedish. The great teacher, the TV, is not of much help as Swedish public TV is excruciatingly boring. :p In Northern Jutland, people are generally well versed in Norwegian and in the south it's German.

(***) Despite the fact that Sweden and Denmark holds the world record in the number of wars fought between our countries. On average one war per generation for 500 years. - Way surpassing France and England.

(****) People from outside Scandinavia usually say Scandinavia, but we ourselves have a tendency to prefer the Nordic Countries or simply the North.

(*****) That I believe is still very much true. I understand it's very difficult for Swedes to understand spoken Danish.

(******) Oh yes! The Swedes are seen, and probably very much feel..., like the sensible, responsible and serious older brother. With Norway as the kind and sweet little sister, and Denmark as the more rebellious younger brother. There is a reason why the Danes are seen as the Latinos of the North. ;) And as such Sweden and the Swedes are the victims of endless banter, which they don't get because they are Swedes...:p And as the Swedes have no sense of humor, they can't fight back. :D
The Norwegians exist in a state of perpetual innocent bliss and no one has the heart to do anything about that.
How about the Finns and Icelanders, I hear you ask? Weell, it's a common fact that Finns are half savages, who are perpetually drunk and all carry knives.
As for the Icelanders, they are very nice people and if you encounter one on the street, just cart them off to the nearest drunk tank. :p
Thus ends todays introduction into Nordic cultural differences. :graduate:

Last edited:
:previous:

Brilliant Muhler! Mange tak and how wonderful to have such a Queen who goes out on a limb to explain national differences and similarities in the North! The interview is, of course, very funny in Danish and I appreciate your frustration about English translations. I will try to help,
"we get away with it, and if we don't get away with it, it will work out anyway"
"we have a tendency to be full of ourselves..." and I certainly noticed this when I was in Denmark, BTW...I found in your country that it was either 'the Danish way or the highway!:bang:"
I so like your Queen's openheartedness and wish I could gift her a Toronto Raptors TShirt:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=we+t...UIBigB&biw=1367&bih=637#imgrc=6lovIYNDhYLCuM:

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Gerry. :flowers:

Yes, she's become less convoluted in recent years and that's a good thing. She has so much public credit that she can afford to be politically incorrect from time to time.

As for your observations while in DK. You are no doubt right! :ermm: - Partly because DK (and the rest of the world) is getting more and more nationalistic these years, but also because Danes, I understand from other foreigners, can be shockingly frank. :eek:
You are for example free to criticize DK, but we really don't like it to be honest... :ohmy: And you risk being told so. There is much less polite nodding in DK, like say in Sweden (no kidding this time).
Whether that is good or bad, I'll leave to others to decide.

I had lovely Finnish friends when I was younger and they did enjoy a drink or three at times. When they talked about Finland they did say there was some serious drinking done there. They inferred it was because of the climate and cold for so many months, making it extremely depressing.

It's strange how the climate affects moods. Being British born I do think the long grey days of winter and Spring did affect people there psychologically. Do people in Scandinavia tend to drink more during the long cold winters?

:previous: Perhaps. I also think it's very much a cultural thing.
There are accounts going back to the Viking Age where the Vikings were described as heavy drinkers! And that in an age were people were at least slightly tipsy all day round, due to water being unsafe to drink.

There is certainly a tendency for the winter-blues here. Perhaps that's why we cuddle up in our caves aka homes during winter and have cultivated the concept of candle lights and "hygge". But then again the long winter days are compensated for with the very long summer days.
So perhaps it's really more an excuse for getting seriously drunk, regardless... :p

The moon is up, let's get drunk!
There is no moon, let's get drunk!
There is midnight sun, a good reason to get drunk! - And so on...:D

Summary of interview in Billed Bladet #07, 2017.
How about the Finns and Icelanders, I hear you ask? Weell, it's a common fact that Finns are half savages, who are perpetually drunk and all carry knives.

I had lovely Finnish friends when I was younger and they did enjoy a drink or three at times. When they talked about Finland they did say there was some serious drinking done there. They inferred it was because of the climate and cold for so many months, making it extremely depressing.

Well....Thanks Muhler. That's so nice of you ;)

And Curryong, we don't all think it's extremely depressing ;)

Muhler thank you for the translations, it's a wonderful interview by the Queen.

It was interesting to read her relationship with the Swedish and Norwegian kings, and the closeness of Frederik to Victoria and Haakon.

:previous: Perhaps. I also think it's very much a cultural thing.
There are accounts going back to the Viking Age where the Vikings were described as heavy drinkers! And that in an age were people were at least slightly tipsy all day round, due to water being unsafe to drink.

There is certainly a tendency for the winter-blues here. Perhaps that's why we cuddle up in our caves aka homes during winter and have c:lol:ultivated the concept of candle lights and "hygge". But then again the long winter days are compensated for with the very long summer days.
So perhaps it's really more an excuse for getting seriously drunk, regardless... :p

The moon is up, let's get drunk!
There is no moon, let's get drunk!
There is midnight sun, a good reason to get drunk! - And so on...:D
I think it is a combination of the two: certainly in Canada, a drink or four is not unknown during the dark winter days and long nights. It would be culturally interesting to share the alcoholic ethnography of Northern nations: I can contribute only by recounting an anecdote from a Canadian poet acquaintance of mine who was invited to read his work at a convention of Finnish poets where he discovered he was the only vertical person in the room!:lol::reading::viking::wine::wine:

No mention of the Faroese I notice.

Nor the Greenlanders, the Åland Islands or the Sami People. While these people have varying degrees of autonomy, they don't have an independent country.

I think it is a combination of the two: certainly in Canada, a drink or four is not unknown during the dark winter days and long nights. It would be culturally interesting to share the alcoholic ethnography of Northern nations: I can contribute only by recounting an anecdote from a Canadian poet acquaintance of mine who was invited to read his work at a convention of Finnish poets where he discovered he was the only vertical person in the room!:lol::reading::viking::wine::wine:

:lol: He must have been a slow drinker.

While we are talking drinking and Nordic stereotypes there are stories about Finnish drinking games.
One such game is called Jorke. It takes place in a sauna. Those present drink a case of liquor. Then the light is turned off and every one throws a knife. The first one to be hit by a knife is Jorke.
There is another drinking game for two, also usually taking place in a sauna. They drink a case of liquor and then one of them leaves the sauna. The one remaining must then guess who it was who left... The game can also be played with one person, but that requires more liquor...
The third game is called Strit. It's a soldiers game. A group stands in a circle and after having drunk sufficient liquor they throw a live hand-grenade among themselves and the one who's got the grenade when it goes off has lost the game. :D

- Having said all that I can only encourage you to visit Finland. It's a stunningly beautiful country with so much fresh air and nature that it almost hurts. :)
Canadians in particular may feel very much at home in Finland.

There is considerable banter between Sweden and Finland, the two countries share a long common history. But no so much between Finland and Denmark, Norway, let alone Iceland.
Danes tend to poke fun of the Norwegians, while the Norwegians roll around laughing at (in Norwegian eyes totally kamikaze-like) Danes skiing.
And everyone have a go at the Swedes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom