Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 5: November 2015 - July 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the interview, Muhler! Hope that posters here appreciate that people use their time to translate articles.

Although I like QMII, she is far from my favorite monarch. I find her a bit cold, arrogant and very old-fashioned (something I see in Joachim too), but I like that she give interviews to all sorts of Newspapers/magazines (also norwegian), in that way she can be compared to Princess Astrid of Norway who does the same.

However, I am a big fan of Crown Prince Frederik and the reason for that is that his personality is similar to that of King Harald.

I did read somewhere (in a Danish article) that Frederik has King Harald as his role model. Lars Hovbakke Sorensen has also said something similar.

Queen Margrethe: Reserved, intellectual and more respected than she is popular. I could never imagine her smiling on a walkabout talking too people, as Elizabeth II did from 1970 to 2013.

Frederik: Down to earth, folksy and popular. Not in the same scale as Elizabeth II (immensely popular, beloved and iconic) and Harald V (very popular), but I think that both him and Mary will have a unique position in Denmark when he becomes monarch.

In Norway (unfortunately), it seems to go the wrong way. Haakon is like QMII very intellectual and is not a type that normally becomes popular and both him and Mette-Marit seems very arrogant at times.

I had lovely Finnish friends when I was younger and they did enjoy a drink or three at times. When they talked about Finland they did say there was some serious drinking done there. They inferred it was because of the climate and cold for so many months, making it extremely depressing.

It's strange how the climate affects moods. Being British born I do think the long grey days of winter and Spring did affect people there psychologically. Do people in Scandinavia tend to drink more during the long cold winters?
In Norway, I would say that the majority likes the winter and especially when it's snowing, because then we can go skiing.

And to talk about myself, I have never touched alcohol in my entire 28 years old life.

:previous: You are welcome. :)

You are right in regards to QMII, or at least you were right.
QMII, certainly beforehand, was indeed more respected than genuinely loved.
She's never been folksy and never, I think, been a comfortable small-talker. As such she was seen as an intellectual elitist, but not arrogant though, as some people unfortunately see Joachim.
But in recent years she's become much more relaxed and laid back. presumably she's now grown so old and confident that she dare be herself much more now, and that includes giving pretty frank interviews.
But also going around to onlookers at royal events, something she hardly ever did, except for senior citizens, before Mary came.

I must confess I don't follow the NRF as much as the SRF, so I'll take your words for the personalities of the various members of the NRF.
That Frederik should be inspired King Harald is new to me, but why not?

Frederik is very different from his mother. He is blessed with the ability to make people he meet like him and he is a lot more folksy. That IMO is not always a good thing though. there are times when a monarch in particular needs to have a certain distance to people. And here Mary complements Frederik so well. She is more regal than he is.

:previous: You are welcome. :)

You are right in regards to QMII, or at least you were right.
QMII, certainly beforehand, was indeed more respected than genuinely loved.
She's never been folksy and never, I think, been a comfortable small-talker. As such she was seen as an intellectual elitist, but not arrogant though, as some people unfortunately see Joachim.
But in recent years she's become much more relaxed and laid back. presumably she's now grown so old and confident that she dare be herself much more now, and that includes giving pretty frank interviews.
But also going around to onlookers at royal events, something she hardly ever did, except for senior citizens, before Mary came.

I must confess I don't follow the NRF as much as the SRF, so I'll take your words for the personalities of the various members of the NRF.
That Frederik should be inspired King Harald is new to me, but why not?

Frederik is very different from his mother. He is blessed with the ability to make people he meet like him and he is a lot more folksy. That IMO is not always a good thing though. there are times when a monarch in particular needs to have a certain distance to people. And here Mary complements Frederik so well. She is more regal than he is.
Agree! But I think she's always been good at that. She has given several interviews to norwegian television/newspapers over the years, including a long interview to the A magazine in 2012, where she spoke about her role. She also become irritated at two norwegian journalists when she was asked about abdication. It was realy funny to see her handle both these intrusive journalists.

(I posted this a few minutes ago, but it disappeared)

While we are talking drinking and Nordic stereotypes there are stories about Finnish drinking games.
One such game is called Jorke. It takes place in a sauna. Those present drink a case of liquor. Then the light is turned off and every one throws a knife. The first one to be hit by a knife is Jorke.
There is another drinking game for two, also usually taking place in a sauna. They drink a case of liquor and then one of them leaves the sauna. The one remaining must then guess who it was who left... The game can also be played with one person, but that requires more liquor...
The third game is called Strit. It's a soldiers game. A group stands in a circle and after having drunk sufficient liquor they throw a live hand-grenade among themselves and the one who's got the grenade when it goes off has lost the game. :D

There is considerable banter between Sweden and Finland, the two countries share a long common history.

This is going off topic, but What??? Jorke and Strit?
It's not even Finnish words. Is that something Swedes tell..?

Banter? Hm. yes, some of it but quite often it's the Swedes being condescending, know-it-all and telling us how we should do things.

Although I like QMII, she is far from my favorite monarch. I find her a bit cold, arrogant and very old-fashioned.

People in the UK see her as down to earth, at least compared to Queen Elizabeth who is regarded as aloof and out of touch.

Frederik: Down to earth, folksy and popular. Not in the same scale as Elizabeth II (immensely popular, beloved and iconic)

I would say that Elizabeth is respected but I wouldn't say she is loved. I know some very staunch royalists who almost stalk the Queen wherever she goes and I once asked them if they loved her and they looked horrified and replied "certainly not." There is a great deal of indifference towards the royals in the UK and as I have already said, the Queen is regarded as out of touch. A few years ago there was a poll asking people how they would like the Queen to be and the majority replied "like Queen Beatrix."

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I have through my years on this forum been reading many of your very critical/negative posts about the BRF, where you have said some things that neither I or many others agree with.

And It's your right to think/write what you want, but I know that there are members who left this forum because of negativity/crap about the British royal family (especially about the Cambridges).

I myself have criticized many royals at this forum, including Juan Carlos, Carl Gustaf and Andrev. I have criticized some of the choices Haakon/Mette-Marit has made, and said that I'm not a big fan of Diana or Philip (although I like his support to the Queen). I have also defended QEII (along with many other members) against some few Diana fans here, but I think I've gotten a bit better lately to ignore posts that I disagree with.

Some facts: (after reading your posts, I'm pretty sure you will disagree)

1. Let's go through the YouGov most admired person in Denmark poll:

2015 - The 10 most admired Women in Denmark:
1: Mary with 12,4%
2: QMII with 8,9%

2015 - The 10 most admired Men in Denmark:
1: Barack Obama with 14,2%
2: Frederik with 11,8%

2016 - The 30 most admired Women in Denmark:
1: Mary with 10,4%
2: QMII with 8,1%

2016 - The 30 most admired Men in Denmark:
1: Barack Obama with 17,1%
2: Frederik with 11,3%

QMII: A very good monarch with many qualities. I've followed her for a long time in my 28 years old life, and I have read several books, watched several old and new documentaries about her and (as I've said before) seen her three times, the last time was at Eidsvold in Norway in 2014. Hope to see her in May too, for King Harald and Queen Sonia's 80th birthday celebrations.

2. Elizabeth II:

Her Ipsos MORI approval ratings were above 70% from 1992 to 2000 (with the exception of 66% in 1998), over 80% from 2002 to 2016 (sometimes 90%) just 5% dissatisfied in 2016, a YouGov approval rating in 2012 showed 86%.

2. And let's go through the YouGov most admired person in the UK poll:

2014 - The 30 most admired persons in the UK:
1: The Queen with 18,74%
9: William with 2,6%
19: Kate with 0,80%
Harry was not even included in the poll.

2015 - The 15 most admired Women in the UK:
1: The Queen with 17%
5: Kate with 5,2%

2015 - The 15 most admired Men in the UK:
5: William with 6,5%
8: Harry with 5,9%

2016 - The 30 most admired Women in the UK:
1: The Queen with 19,5%
7: Kate with 3,6%

2016 - The 30 most admired Men in the UK:
4: Harry with 6,4%
6: William with 5,6%

The Queen was also polled the most admirred woman in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Germany in the 2016 poll. She is (as experts says) the most popular head of state (many would say person) in the world.

We've also had record high support for the British monarchy in several polls since 2002, some of over 80%.

3. QEII is the reigning monarch of 16 countries - including the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. She is head of the Commonwealth and is in that capacity figurehead for 2 billion people. She has reigned for 65 years. This makes her the world's most Iconic, famous and well-known head of state (many will say person).

4. She traveled around the UK until she was 86. She used to be driven along the crowds in the Queenmobile (open car) from 1952 to 2012 (did it in 2016 on the occasion of her 90th birthday). Went on several walkabout (walked through the crowds with her smile) from 1970 to 2013. (did it in 2016 on the occasion of 90th birthday). She traveled around the Commonwealth/world from 1952 to 2011 (Italy, France Germany and Malta in 2014/2015). She is known for her kindness and there are so many touching stories about her. She comforts her employees, traumatized aid workers etc.

Our beloved, iconic, remarkable Elizabeth II is the UK and the Commonwealth and she is as Obama said (last year) a jewel to the world.

She is an international icon and the embodiment of royalty. She has dedicated her life to the UK and the Commonwealth, and have spent the last 63 years building relations and friendship between nations as no other. She's was known as the world's top diplomat until at least 2011 (when she almost stopped traveling) She was also with her parents, sister and Winston Churchill a symbol of peace during World War II.

She is as several of the so-called experts said on British/American/Canadian television during her 90th birthday celebrations and Jubilee celebrations in 2012 a symbol of continuity and goodness in the world. And as Baroness Scotland said during an interview: She is kind, caring, warm, forgiving and concerned with poor people, young people and people who are struggling.

Monarchs, Presidents, former Prime Ministers, former employees and family member have said the same and the Queen herself has mentioned it several times in her speeches over the years.

She is simply THE QUEEN and world leders around the world admirer her, and she make me proud to be half-British. We should be proud to live in this admirable lady's reign.

There will be no one like her again, and I agree with Tony Parsons that she will be the last monarch who will be a truly unifying force in our nation, but the monarchy will continue to endure in to future with Charles, William and George.

5. I'm sure you will disagree with this as well, since you said (a few years ago) that foreign royal is more known in the UK than we think, and that they are more popular in the UK than the British royal family.

I'm sorry to say this to you, but it is simply wrong (as other British members also have said to you), I know no one in Britain (with the exception of royal watchers) who knows about the Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Dutch and Belgian royals.

This is what I and the vast majority of british royal watchers mean. And don't answer me with the things you have written in other threads, because I know what you mean/think from before.

Personally, I'm late to the party when it comes to getting to know the Danish Royal Family. I think it took all of one day for me to recognize something special in Queen "Daisy". Her artistic soul, her ease of expressing herself through not only art but also in how she interacts with people and from many accounts I've seen, she has a down to earth, good natured outlook on things in life.

I see many similarities between Queen Margrethe and Queen Elizabeth of the UK and it doesn't surprise me one bit that these two women are good friends. I can almost hear in my mind these two ladies getting together and comparing war stories about their other halves.

Queen M: Oh dear! Henrik shot his mouth off yet again and all while wearing this outrageous thing that he pulled out from the back of the closet where I had hoped it was well hidden.

Queen E: You think that's bad, let me tell you what my dear Philip blurted out the other day. You're not going to believe this one. (relates story)

Queen M: We've been lucky my friend. We've pretty much been able to keep these two from joining forces together. Lets drink a gin and tonic to keeping it that way (winks).

Both these women are unique and beloved for themselves and have written the book on what a real Queen should be like. At least that's how I see it. :D

:previous: I have through my years on this forum been reading many of your very critical/negative posts about the BRF, where you have said some things that neither I or many others agree with...

Great post! Thanks, from an Aussie!

Last edited by a moderator:
Royal Norway and Osipi, thank you. You have managed to distill the essence of these two amazing women.

THE QUEEN is just that, an entity above government political squabbles and even the rough and tumble of the BRF itself. She is seen as being separate, unique, and is often overlooked by many in the UK and the Commonwealth because, she is, quite simply, the Queen and few wish to even imagine her passing.

Queen Margrethe is made of the same stuff, bright, witty, educated, the last Queen of her age. I think when Elizabeth passes Margrethe will feel the weight of the ages.

Last edited:

Prince Henrik is currently in Egypt. Yesterday, March 16, he was seen eying up the torso part of a statue belonging to King Psamtik I, outside the Egyptian museum in Cairo, following it's discovery by a team of German-Egyptian archeologists in Cairo's Mattarya district:

** abc.net photo ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages **

** abc.net video and gallery: Inscription reveals colossus unearthed in Cairo slum not of Ramses II, more likely Pharaoh Psamtek I **

And Queen Margrethe - in black due to Prince Richard's death - received NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg at Amalienborg today, March 17:

** kongehuset.dk: Modtagelse af NATO's generalsekretær **

Last edited:
:previous: I have through my years on this forum been reading many of your very critical/negative posts about the BRF, where you have said some things that neither I or many others agree with.

And It's your right to think/write what you want, but I know that there are members who left this forum because of negativity/crap about the British royal family (especially about the Cambridges).

I myself have criticized many royals at this forum, including Juan Carlos, Carl Gustaf and Andrev. I have criticized some of the choices Haakon/Mette-Marit has made, and said that I'm not a big fan of Diana or Philip (although I like his support to the Queen). I have also defended QEII (along with many other members) against some few Diana fans here, but I think I've gotten a bit better lately to ignore posts that I disagree with.

Some facts: (after reading your posts, I'm pretty sure you will disagree)

1. Let's go through the YouGov most admired person in Denmark poll:

2015 - The 10 most admired Women in Denmark:
1: Mary with 12,4%
2: QMII with 8,9%

2015 - The 10 most admired Men in Denmark:
1: Barack Obama with 14,2%
2: Frederik with 11,8%

2016 - The 30 most admired Women in Denmark:
1: Mary with 10,4%
2: QMII with 8,1%

2016 - The 30 most admired Men in Denmark:
1: Barack Obama with 17,1%
2: Frederik with 11,3%

QMII: A very good monarch with many qualities. I've followed her for a long time in my 28 years old life, and I have read several books, watched several old and new documentaries about her and (as I've said before) seen her three times, the last time was at Eidsvold in Norway in 2014. Hope to see her in May too, for King Harald and Queen Sonia's 80th birthday celebrations.

2. Elizabeth II:

Her Ipsos MORI approval ratings were above 70% from 1992 to 2000 (with the exception of 66% in 1998), over 80% from 2002 to 2016 (sometimes 90%) just 5% dissatisfied in 2016, a YouGov approval rating in 2012 showed 86%.

2. And let's go through the YouGov most admired person in the UK poll:

2014 - The 30 most admired persons in the UK:
1: The Queen with 18,74%
9: William with 2,6%
19: Kate with 0,80%
Harry was not even included in the poll.

2015 - The 15 most admired Women in the UK:
1: The Queen with 17%
5: Kate with 5,2%

2015 - The 15 most admired Men in the UK:
5: William with 6,5%
8: Harry with 5,9%

2016 - The 30 most admired Women in the UK:
1: The Queen with 19,5%
7: Kate with 3,6%

2016 - The 30 most admired Men in the UK:
4: Harry with 6,4%
6: William with 5,6%

The Queen was also polled the most admirred woman in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Germany in the 2016 poll. She is (as experts says) the most popular head of state (many would say person) in the world.

We've also had record high support for the British monarchy in several polls since 2002, some of over 80%.

3. QEII is the reigning monarch of 16 countries - including the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. She is head of the Commonwealth and is in that capacity figurehead for 2 billion people. She has reigned for 65 years. This makes her the world's most Iconic, famous and well-known head of state (many will say person).

4. She traveled around the UK until she was 86. She used to be driven along the crowds in the Queenmobile (open car) from 1952 to 2012 (did it in 2016 on the occasion of her 90th birthday). Went on several walkabout (walked through the crowds with her smile) from 1970 to 2013. (did it in 2016 on the occasion of 90th birthday). She traveled around the Commonwealth/world from 1952 to 2011 (Italy, France Germany and Malta in 2014/2015). She is known for her kindness and there are so many touching stories about her. She comforts her employees, traumatized aid workers etc.

Our beloved, iconic, remarkable Elizabeth II is the UK and the Commonwealth and she is as Obama said (last year) a jewel to the world.

She is an international icon and the embodiment of royalty. She has dedicated her life to the UK and the Commonwealth, and have spent the last 63 years building relations and friendship between nations as no other. She's was known as the world's top diplomat until at least 2011 (when she almost stopped traveling) She was also with her parents, sister and Winston Churchill a symbol of peace during World War II.

She is as several of the so-called experts said on British/American/Canadian television during her 90th birthday celebrations and Jubilee celebrations in 2012 a symbol of continuity and goodness in the world. And as Baroness Scotland said during an interview: She is kind, caring, warm, forgiving and concerned with poor people, young people and people who are struggling.

Monarchs, Presidents, former Prime Ministers, former employees and family member have said the same and the Queen herself has mentioned it several times in her speeches over the years.

She is simply THE QUEEN and world leders around the world admirer her, and she make me proud to be half-British. We should be proud to live in this admirable lady's reign.

There will be no one like her again, and I agree with Tony Parsons that she will be the last monarch who will be a truly unifying force in our nation, but the monarchy will continue to endure in to future with Charles, William and George.

5. I'm sure you will disagree with this as well, since you said (a few years ago) that foreign royal is more known in the UK than we think, and that they are more popular in the UK than the British royal family.

I'm sorry to say this to you, but it is simply wrong (as other British members also have said to you), I know no one in Britain (with the exception of royal watchers) who knows about the Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Dutch and Belgian royals.

This is what I and the vast majority of british royal watchers mean. And don't answer me with the things you have written in other threads, because I know what you mean/think from before.

I didn't say that Elizabeth wasn't admired or respected I said that she wasn't loved. Not once has she ever been described as "the much loved Queen" as other monarchs have been. It's very easy for people outwith the UK to view her through rose coloured glasses and see things differently from how people in the UK see it. At the time of the Dunblane massacre when 16 5 year old children and their teacher were killed Elizabeth wasn't even going to visit the town or attend the memorial service (she was going to send Andrew) but there was such an outcry, with one newspaper telling her to "get of your backside and do your duty" that she did go. But even during such an emotional event she didn't show any human emotion or even shed a tear. There had been a report that she cried openly when talking to the families but this is not true as a friend of mine lost a relative in the massacre and when talking to her parents there was no tears and she was very matter of fact. She asked "who did you loose?" they replied "our daughter" and she then asked "and what age was she?" "five" they answered, and at that she walked off. There was no attempt to comfort or offer sympathy. This is in stark contrast to King Harald who wept openly at the memorial service for the victims of the Anders Breivik massacre. So you'll forgive me if I really don't have a lot of time for such a cold hearted person.

I didn't say that Elizabeth wasn't admired or respected I said that she wasn't loved. Not once has she ever been described as "the much loved Queen" as other monarchs have been. It's very easy for people outwith the UK to view her through rose coloured glasses and see things differently from how people in the UK see it. At the time of the Dunblane massacre when 16 5 year old children and their teacher were killed Elizabeth wasn't even going to visit the town or attend the memorial service (she was going to send Andrew) but there was such an outcry, with one newspaper telling her to "get of your backside and do your duty" that she did go. But even during such an emotional event she didn't show any human emotion or even shed a tear. There had been a report that she cried openly when talking to the families but this is not true as a friend of mine lost a relative in the massacre and when talking to her parents there was no tears and she was very matter of fact. She asked "who did you loose?" they replied "our daughter" and she then asked "and what age was she?" "five" they answered, and at that she walked off. There was no attempt to comfort or offer sympathy. This is in stark contrast to King Harald who wept openly at the memorial service for the victims of the Anders Breivik massacre. So you'll forgive me if I really don't have a lot of time for such a cold hearted person.
1. She is praised like no other by experts in the British media. She is described as loved/beloved, admired, popular, the best Queen/head of state in the world etc constantly. She gets a lot more praise in the British media than other heads of state gets in their countries including Harald in Norway and Margrethe in Denmark.

2. She is known for her kindness and there are so many touching stories about her. She comforts her employees, traumatized aid workers etc.

The Dunblane massacre was mentioned in a BBC program about her 90th birthday last year, and some of the family members talked about how caring and kind she seemed.

And if you're going to mention the Aberfan disaster: The Queen's late Private Secretary Lord Charteris acknowledged that failing to go there sooner was her biggest regret.

But many experts have defended her in that dession too and I agree with them. She didn't want to get in the way of the rescue efforts that were still underway. She thought it better to delay her visit for a few days, saying "What if some poor child is still trapped in the wreckage, and won't be found because everyone will be busy looking after me?"

And the victims who met her after the London bombings in 2005, told how caring and warm she was.

When it comes to crying or not: She is dignified, but she does shows her feelings in public when she smiles and she has (actually) almost been in tears on some occasions.

And as I said to you in my post above, you don't need to answer me because I already know what you mean about the BRF.

And back to what this thread is about. There have been some articles about a possible abdication of QMII in the Danish/Norwegian press again. I will translate an article tomorrow (If nobody else is doing it) in the Future of the Danish Monarchy thread.

Last edited:
Can we get back to the topic of this thread, the Danish Queen and her husband's current events?

H.M. The Queen receives Fredensborg city torchlight in the inner palace courtyard. Fredensborg Palace. In connection with her change of residency
Dronning Margrethe fik varm velkomst foran Fredensborg Slot | BILLED-BLADET

video
https://www.facebook.com/detdanskekongehus/videos/458952344443352/
what a lovely tradition, and i think the people nearby appreciate it :flowers:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSebgcQguVR/?taken-at=868939440

the sunset at Fredensborg Palace shared by the DRF
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSeRUbvB9l0/?taken-at=868939440

Last edited:
Thanks, Polyesco. :flowers:
The tune heard in the video is the national anthem: Der er et yndigt land = There is a lovely country.

The royal anthem is Kong Christian = King Christian.

Yesterday, April 4, Queen Margrethe also handed out this year's Rungstedlund Award at the Karen Blixen Museum in Rungsted. It's awarded to people who made a notable contribution in an area which interested late Danish author Karen Blixen.

** sn.dk gallery ** kongehuset.dk gallery **

** BB: Dronning Margrethe overrakte pris i Karen Blixens ånd ** translation **

** hoersholm.lokalavisen: Rungstedlundprisen går til Niels Barfoed ** translation **

And today, April 5, Queen Margrethe received Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko for a meeting at Amalienborg Palace:

** gettyimages gallery ** kongehuset.dk **

Last edited:
Queen Margrethe today attended the concert "The biggest fair - Luther 500 years" in 'Vor Frue Kirke' Copenhagen Cathedral.

PPE Agency

Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

Yes, PH is indeed having a merry time in Aarhus.
Today he went to circus Arena, which is located just down the road to Marselisborg, on the beach. Prins Henrik i Cirkus Arena: Det er meget livligt | BILLED-BLADET

The weather is lousy this Easter! They even predict snow, hail and sleet in some places tomorrow!
I looked at the weather forecast, there will be showers tomorrow (with all sorts of things in it!) but with just a bit of luck the weather should stay dry at noon, when QMII and the family appears on the terrace.
The temperature will be some 5-10 degrees C (41-50 F), so expect the DRF will wear coats and wind-breakers.

:previous:

I guess it's the cold April weather we are faced with in many European countries since a couple of days. And it's an efficient protection against influenza when you have to shake as many hands as he has to ;) In the following gallery of yesterday's event you can see him with and without them ;)

** kongehuset.dk: Åbning af Europæisk Gastronomiregion 2017 **

Why is the Prince wearing gloves even on the Balcony ?

It's been a pretty cold Easter this year. This night the temperature went down below freezing, so it's a sensible precaution for an elderly gentleman.

Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

The event PH attended is a part of Aarhus being the European Cultural Capital 2017. - The aim here is to promote the rest of east and central Jutland as well, now that tourists arrive and there is added focus.
In this case in the form of a kind of gastronomical path to various dining places and specialties that foreign (and domestic for that matter) visitors otherwise never would have noticed let alone visited.
There are a number of surprisingly good inns and restaurants dotted all over Jutland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom