Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 4: Jan. 2013 - November 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik have inaugurated the restored Brede Allé ( Broad Avenue) at the Fredensborg Palace Gardens this afternoon, September 17:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** sn.dk gallery **

The Russian Exhibit at Frederiksborg Castle is something I dearly would have liked to attend. So much unique history in one place. It is thanks to Prss Dagmar/ Empress & Tsarina of Russia that Denmark has the second largest collection of Faberge pieces in the world. ( I am pretty sure that is right.) Do you think that Queen Margrethe's egg necklace is also made from tiny Faberge eggs?

Yesterday, October 7, Queen Margrethe handed out the Niels Bohr Medal at Niels Bohr's former residence, the Honorary Residence at the Carlsberg Academy. The recipient was Alain Aspect, French physicist and scientist in the field of optical and atomic physics.

** kongehuset.dk: Niels Bohr Guldmedaljen **

And Prince Henrik attended a presentation of the song Echo at the Asia House in Copenhagen:

** kongehuset.dk: Overværelse af "Echo" i Asia House **

** pp gallery: Prince Henrik : Fier collaborateur d'un groupe star pour la chanson royale Echo **

Last edited:
And now for something irritating: Nu er den gal igen: Royal gravhund sætter tænderne i gartner - Royale | www.bt.dk

Querida, PH's dachshund, has bitten a gardener.
The episode is confirmed by the court: "It's corect that a palace gardener has been bitten by one of the dachshunds - the youngest, Querida - but he wasn't hurt. The dogs have indeed bitten (someone) a couple of times before but at this episode the gardener was not left with bitemarks. He was of course frightened and routinely a form of report is being made". (This being a work-related injury - or rather episode).

- This irritate me to no end!
Prince Henrik (and QMII for that matter) is not suited to own a dog, if he cannot keep it under control. This after all far from the first time this happens.
If PH had been a normal citizen Queride would, as a serial-offender, be in extremely serious risk of being put down. The reason why we have a very strict and deeply unpopular dog-law here in DK is that a number of owners are unsuited to have a dog. - Unfortunately you can't put down the owner, so the dog has to die.
We have an alsatian puppy ourselves. The thumbrule according to the dog-law is that is she bites a human - or another dog, deep enough to for the victim to need stitches, she would be put down. - It has to happen just once, unless there is a very, very good reason.
We wouldn't have such a strict law if there were less inept dog owners like PH.
If PH can't keep his dogs under control, at least fence them in or muzzle them 24/7.

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #42, 2013.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen, our sentry in Hellerup.

QMII litterally entertained the guests at a large birthday party for her very good friend, Susanne Heering, who turned 75 recently.
The party, which included 130 guests, took place at the Heering home, in a posh part of Hellerup, which is already a posh part of Copenhagen.
Here QMII was, naturally, recieved by Susanne Heering at the car. The Queen wearing...actually I'm not quite sure what it is she's wearing. It's...eeh...interesting.

Well inside there were the usual food and drink and speeches. The whole thing being inspired by Italy.
At some point the orchestra played up for the dance Tarantella to begin and it was here QMII got up and danced a few ballet steps to the dance. Which QMII know well because the music is a part of her favorite ballet, Napoli. Then she got the rest of the party, all 130 of them, to get up and dance a communal tarantella. - Of varying succes, as not all guests appeas to have had the talent, the agility or the physical... eeh shape of ballet dancers...
But at least they had fun trying.

The guests were to a very large degree a list of people who are friends of the DRF.

On October 24 Prince Henrik visited the exhibition "For the Love of Greenland" at the Museum of Religious Art in Lemvig.

** Pic **

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #44, 2013.
Rosina er Henriks nye hund - Rosina is Henrik's new dog.
Written by our reporter in the wild Ken Richter.

Recently PH and a number of friends went to a royal hunt at Klosterheden Plantation in Jutland. - This is one of the places where we can now encounter wolves. And they have puppies now, so the zoologists are pretty exited!
Anyway, with him he brought a puppy. A thirteen weeks old dachshund named Rosina. And PH behaved like a new father.
Last year PH got Querida, but alas he ran it over with a golf-car and the dog has never really recovered. Querida recently made headlines when she bit a guardsman on duty.

On the way to the hunt PH visited two arts museums. One in the coastal town of Lemvig and the other in the city of Aalborg.

BB is up.

He ran over his dog?!!?

You'd be amazed how often it can happen. Both dogs and cats can get into places you wouldn't think or can end up in a blind spot so fast that you don't realize it until it's too late. I know from sad experience it can happen, as I lost a cat in a similar way.

HRH does look like a Proud Papa in that picture w/the newest Family Member. :D

Muhler, has there been a problem w/the wolf population in Denmark? The way you worded that makes it sound like there is or was. I hope this doesn't come off sounding snotty, as I know that can happen in written form, but Wolf younglings aren't puppies. They're called Wolf Cubs.

I have no idea why that is, but that's what they're are. As I said, I hope that didn't come off as sounding snotty, as I really don't mean it that way. :)

Muhler, has there been a problem w/the wolf population in Denmark? The way you worded that makes it sound like there is or was. I hope this doesn't come off sounding snotty, as I know that can happen in written form, but Wolf younglings aren't puppies. They're called Wolf Cubs.

I have no idea why that is, but that's what they're are. As I said, I hope that didn't come off as sounding snotty, as I really don't mean it that way. :)

Don't worry, Tiggersk8 :) I don't mind if my mistakes are corrected, especially as the worst thing that can happen is that I learn something.
It's just that the word for offspring of dogs and wolves is the same in Danish, hence the mistake.

As for the wolves in DK. They have only started to appear within the last two or three years. But there has hardly been any face to face encounters at all. The wolves are being tracked however.
Migrating in from Germany, where there is a comprehensive DNA database, droppings and what not from the wolves have been analyzed and their movements mapped. - In fact at least one wolf has merrily been going about it's business and passed less than five KM from where we live.
There is now a system in place for reimbursing owners of sheep and deer who occasionally lose an animal to wolves, so the general feeling among people I have met go from mild concern to excitement that the wolf has returned after almost 300 years.
So as I mentioned in another post, if they are not already there, it will be only a matter of time before wolves will settle more or less permanently around Trend, where M&F are often on vacation.
And there is little doubt that migrating wolves will have passed Joachim's lands around Schackenborg several times.

But let's return to dogs.
IMO PH is an inept dogowner. He is not getting better, nor is he getting more fit or younger. I believe he ought to have chosen a less difficult dog than a dachshund. There are plenty of small, easy dogs around - (a medium sized dog with a happy wagging tail that can clear several tables for antiques in nanoseconds may not be the best idea...)
Something like the four-legged oddity our Marie has, might be a better idea than dachshunds.

I find that really interesting that wolves are returning to Denmarks forests. Hopefully a small pack can live quietly within the forests without encroaching into populated areas, or upset any farmers by killing their livestock.

As Valberg R has pointed out, while M&F are in Mexico, QMII has gone to Iceland: Dronning Margrethe til laksemiddag hos præsidenten

Here she is celebrating the 350th anniversary of the Icelandic scholar, Arni Magnusson, who compiled a large number of manuscripts while working in Copenhagen, some dating back to the 1100's, basically about Icelandic history, culture and mindset. A number of the Icelandic sagas have been recorded in these manuscripts.

During WWII Iceland became independent and after the Liberation followed a pretty long process where Iceland wished to have these manuscripts handed over to Iceland, where they are considered a national treasure.
The last of these manuscripts were handed over in 1997 - QMII also took part in that ceremony.

The Icelandic presidential residence was build in 1670 and it was here the Danish amtmand (= magistrate or governor. From the German word "amt". The language of the civil service in DK at that time was shifting from Latin to German) resided and in the picture we see QMII sitting between the Icelandic President and the PM.

Thanks Muihler for that little tidbit of history, we are quite proud of those manuscripts and they are regularly being put on display.

The president mentioned in his speech that Margrethe had more often than any other head of state dined at Bessastaðir, the presidential residence, and that that was a fun and special testimony of friendship between Iceland and Denmark.

Fun fact: Icelanders are very proud of the fact that the queen has an Icelandic name, Þórhildur( Thorhildur), and because of that she is always called "Margrét Þórhildur " by the public AND the media and you always know they are referring to Queen Margrethe.:flowers:

Just had my first royal encounter YAY, Queen Margrét Þórhildur:) just visited my University
to attend a birthday lecture on Árni Magnússon and I managed to squeeze myself in.
My first impression of her majesty is that she is very pretty and quite cute and does not look like she is 73 years old...... maybe having 8 grandchildren around you does wonders for the skin:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome polyesco:flowers:

Just had my first royal encounter YAY, Queen Margrét Þórhildur:) just visited my University
to attend a birthday lecture on Árni Magnússon and I managed to squeeze myself in.
My first impression of her majesty is that she is very pretty and quite cute and does not look like she is 73 years old...... maybe having 8 grandchildren around you does wonders for the skin:lol:

Queen Margrethe visited University of Iceland, where I managed to get quite close to her:) and listened to a very interesting lecture:
H.C. Andersen á Árna mikið að þakka - mbl.is

The evening news, where it was mentioned that she was very interested in the collections of medieval drawings because she is an artist herself:
Fréttir | RÚV

A funny article about a 226 years old letter where the danish royal court promised anyone who started a salt processing plant in Iceland would get funding from the royal family, the two men, who have salt processing company, on the picture below found the letter in the danish state archives and apparently had the presidential office deliver the letter to the royal court,
it is not known whether the promise will be fulfilled:lol:

Saltævintýrið heldur áfram - mbl.is

thanks so much for this fascinating view into Nordic history. Of course I want to know if Icelandic is understood by Danes/Swedes/Norwegians!:flowers:

You're welcome gerry, my pleasure:flowers:

Icelandic is very hard to understand by everybody, even Icelanders:lol:
We have danish words here and there that stem from our time as a danish colony and I think it's easier for Norwegians and Swedes to understand it as they sound alike, and if they know the conversation topic they can kind of get the gist of it, especially since old Norwegian was practically the same as Icelandic, but they changed it in the 90s I recall.

Icelanders however often do not know how to talk in a Danish, Swedish or Norwegian respectively, it has then become common to combine them into what we call "Scandinavian" and sometimes with some hilarious results:lol::lol:

thanks so much for this fascinating view into Nordic history. Of course I want to know if Icelandic is understood by Danes/Swedes/Norwegians!:flowers:

The short and sweet answer to that is no.
Our languages began to evolve away from each other some 800-1.000 years ago.

Last edited:
I note from one of the articles posted above that Queen Margrethe is referred to as Margrétar II Þórhildar and Margrét Þórhildur and I am intrigued to know whether, in Iceland, she is always known by her first and third names!?
BTW, I urge anyone who hasn't been to go and visit Iceland as it is one of the most amazing countries in the world !!!

I note from one of the articles posted above that Queen Margrethe is referred to as Margrétar II Þórhildar and Margrét Þórhildur and I am intrigued to know whether, in Iceland, she is always known by her first and third names!?
BTW, I urge anyone who hasn't been to go and visit Iceland as it is one of the most amazing countries in the world !!!

Yes, she is always referred to as "Margrét þórhildur danadrottning(queen of the danes)".
and thank you for your words:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom