Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 4: Jan. 2013 - November 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, that's because she can't wear her TeleTubby outfit onboard ships. The aerials on her hat has a tendency to jam Dannebrog's radar.
Muhler! With that colour red on board, Dannebrog does not need radar because she can be seen from miles away! :lol:

Muhler! With that colour red on board, Dannebrog does not need radar because she can be seen from miles away! :lol:

That's right.
As you may have noticed Prince Henrik is almost always wearing uniforms onboard Dannebrog, rather than his usual colourful attire.
That is now standard practice since Danish Ornithological Association (DOA) six years ago made the navy aware of the alarming number of traumatized and suicidal seagulls in the wake of Dannebrog on her summer cruises.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_M86n2v0us...AAAqU/joVATH6kRoI/s1600/secpic_seagull1_b.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/05/12/article-1277565-0986F917000005DC-410_634x451.jpg

Undercover agents from DOA investigated the phenomenon and figured out the cause. - Prince Henrik.
http://brahvsnature.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/415920-20cosplay20seagulls.jpg

Its true, I've read it on the Net - or perhaps I dreamed it...

Last edited:

On the occasion of Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard's 200th birthday Queen Margrethe attended the commemoration service in the Church of Our Lady in Copenhagen as well as an event at the University of Copenhagen today, May 5, 2013.

** BB: Dronning Margrethe fejrede Søren Kierkegaard ** translation **

Yesterday, May 4, Prince Henrik, opened the boat season on the lake Esrum.

** sn.dk gallery **

Last edited:
Thanks, Iceflower. :)

It's become a tradition for Prince Henrik to attend the boat season and there is no doubt that he is genuinely enjoying himself.

Da Kierkegaard røg i flæsket på Andersen | Videnskab.dk
As it so happens Søren Kierkegaard had an almighty feud going on with H.C. Andersen!
When H.C. Andersen published his novel "Only a fiddler" in 1837, Søren Kierkegaard wrote a review of no less than 90 pages! Where he completely thrashed the novel and labelled H.C. Andersen as immature and without talent.
H.C. Andersen was genuinely hurt and retorted by referring tauntingly to Søren Kierkegaard in later works.

Then all of a sudden, and no one knows why, they became good friends and H.C. Andersen became an admirer of Søren Kierkegaard.

Last edited:
:previous: And the one who won the honorary prize was the movie director Susanne Bier. Dronning Margrethes herlige håndværkerfest

I read a couple of days ago that she is very busy in USA right now, so I guess we can expect something from her soon.

Apart from that 72 newly educated artisans recieved medals and grants at Copenhagen town hall.

Last edited:
Billed Bladet has published this video of Prince Henrik out with the friends in the Tivoli Club - unsurprisingly it took place in Tivoli, Copenhagen.

Tivoli klubben 2013 - YouTube

It looks to me to ahve been a typical Danish social event. People sitting around the tables for a few hours, enjoing the "big cold table" (= smorgasboard and schnapps) while singing several (more or less successful) home-composed songs. Listening to a couple of speeches and someone telling jokes, while downing a wee schnapps - or five. With a lot of chatting going on and perhaps someone playing in the background.
I thought he moved a little carefully when he walked to the car and got into the car. Perhaps his back is causing trouble? - Or he drank too much lunch... :wine:

Last edited:
Prince Henrik was seen on Saturday in Stockholm, where king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia inaugurated exhibitions "The King's gift - Gustaf VI Adolf's Gift to the People of Sweden" and "The Warrior Queen and the Bronze Age of China" at Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities.
http://svenskdam.se/files/2013/05/silvia-henrik-carl-gustaf-s.jpg
APA-PictureDesk

Prince Henrik inaugurated earlier on Saturday the exhibition "Följ Hjärtat" in Stockholm. I haven't seen any photos yet of this event.
Följ Hjärtat | Event i Stockholm 25-26 maj

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #23, 2013.
Henrik på herretur - Henrik on a guys night out.
Written by reporter about town, Helle Skram de Friis.

Recently Prince Henrik and a number of his good friends went on their annual pilgrimage to Bakken, a very old fun fair in Copenhagen. (*)
That includes a good lunch with plenty of liquid to wash it down and entertainment by Bakken's Singing Girls. (**)
The songs are full of innuendoes and it requires only a very little stretch of the imagination to find them naughty.
There is also a lot of cheeky interaction between the guests, not least Prince Henrik and the girls. And it has become mandatory for Prince Henrik to show his appreciation by putting notes down the garter of the girls. Actually the owner of the establishment, Dot Wessman, who also attended Count Christian's funeral.
Prince Henrik sitting next to his good friend, Christian Kjær, was cracking up with laugther. Not least when Christian wanted to put money down the garter of Dot Wessman. She asked loudly, whether he even had some left... - Christan Kjær is right now going through a very costly divorce.

Christian Eugen Olsen, with his wife was also present.

When he left Prince Henrik said: "It has been a very funny, cosy and beautiful evening".

(*) While Tivoli was for tourists and respectable citizens, Bakken was for the common, and usually far from sober, man and his family. The entertainment there was also less, shall we say, cultural than in Tivoli.
Bakken was certainly not a place decent people showed themselves.

(**) The girls singing now are fully professionel singers. However some 80 years ago they were not!
They were ladies of ill repute. - And to put it bluntly, some of them had gone past their expiry date on the sidewalk and ended up at bakken, where they, helped by liquour and the fact that the audience was hardly sober either, sang a number of lewd songs with more enthusiam than talent.
They were also fully capable of answering back, should someone among the audience be too cheeky. And that in a way so even hardened sailors would blush.
- Now all this has become nostalgia and culture.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. :flowers:

A rare glimpse inside the hunting-palace. It sure looks good. Any locals planning on going to see the place during the summer?

Thanks for the pics. :flowers:

A rare glimpse inside the hunting-palace. It sure looks good. Any locals planning on going to see the place during the summer?
indeed a very beautiful restoration...Muhler, tell us the story of this place and why such elaborate decoration for a simple hunting lodge (Versailles started as a hunting lodge, but that's a different story!):lol::flowers:

Well, very briefly.
Eremitageslottet was build in the early 1700's. Back then the park where it is located, Dyrehaven, was royal hunting grounds. Especially for deers and there are still lots of deers there.
Erimetageslottet was located quite a good distance from Copenhagen to the south and Fredensborg to the north, so the king simply needed a place to seek cover in bad weather, warm his feet, get a change of clothes and a bite to eat.
It was never meant as a place to sleep, let alone stay for several days and the kitchen was very basic.
It was however a place where the king could have a discreet rendesvous and the place was contructed in a way so that the dining room was supplied via a foodlift, going up through the centre of the table in fact, so that no servants need be present. - You could dine "en eremitage" - alone, hence the name.

The place is elaboratly decorated because that was the fashion of the time, but also because this was a place the king took other royal guests, so it had to have a certain class.
It is also a testament to the fact that Denmark was recovering econimically after the disastrous wars of the 1600's. (In many ways and in many places in DK it took more than a 100 yeards to recover, but that's another story). So the king could afford the luxury of building such a neat place.
Women were normally not allowed unless accompanied by their invited husbands.

Up until recently there was no heating and no warm water and with the chimneys closed down for fear of fire, it could be bone-cold during the winter!
But now it has been restored to it's original glory.

Last edited:
Well, very briefly.
Eremitageslottet was build in the early 1700's. Back then the park where it is located, Dyrehaven, was royal hunting grounds. Especially for deers and there are still lots of deers there.
Erimetageslottet was located quite a good distance from Copenhagen to the south and Fredensborg to the north, so the king simply needed a place to seek cover in bad weather, warm his feet, get a change of clothes and a bite to eat.
It was never meant as a place to sleep, let alone stay for several days and the kitchen was very basic.
It was however a place where the king could have a discreet rendesvous and the place was contructed in a way so that the dining room was supplied via a foodlift, going up through the centre of the table in fact, so that no servants need be present. - You could dine "en eremitage" - alone, hence the name.

The place is elaboratly decorated because that was the fashion of the time, but also because this was a place the king took other royal guests, so it had to have a certain class.
It is also a testament to the fact that Denmark was recovering econimically after the disastrous wars of the 1600's. (In many ways and in many places in DK it took more than a 100 yeards to recover, but that's another story). So the king could afford the luxury of building such a neat place.
Women were normally not allowed unless accompanied by their invited husbands.

Up until recently there was no heating and no warm water and with the chimneys closed down for fear of fire, it could be bone-cold during the winter!
But now it has been restored to it's original glory.
mange tak Muhler! Now I also understand the Hermitage and can better appreciate why the prince consort looked so grumpy while the Queen was speaking at the recent opening of the restoration. He was remembering times gone by and reflecting on the excavations you so helpfully report in Roskilde! :cool::whistling:

Prince Henrik continues to amuse us. Now he has been sculptured in sand: Henrik: Jeg vil se mig selv - Royale | www.bt.dk

Large picture: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/541/6/6541831-prinsgemalen.jpg

Gallery: http://www.bt.dk/royale/se-billederne-prins-henrik-moeder-sig-selv-som-sandslot

There is a sandsculpture festival going on in Copenhagen right now.
And there is nothing wrong with Prince Henrik's sense of humour.
A Anders Lund Madsen, who is behind a satirical show had requested a sculpture of Prince Henrik with a snake on his head. - There is actually such a photo.
The organisers behind the festival obliged. Inge Færch explains: "He thought that the sculpture of himself was very much alike"... (He had also seen the show that was the inspiration for the sculpture and found it very amusing).
When PH arrived he went straight up to the place where they sell tickets and said: "I'd like to see myself".

Inge Færch continues: "When I came, his opening line was that we would probably like to have a picture of the real model. That was really wonderfully refreshing/liberating, so that was some cosy 30 minutes, where the Prince Consort was very interested and inquisitive".

There were no flowers for PH, instead: "I'm fond of crochet and as I knew that the Prince Consort is fond of animals - I had crocheted a little dachshund for him. That went straight into his pocket. And when he returned to the crown car (*), where his own dachshund was neatly waiting for him, he gave the crocheted one to the dog".

- I see in the gallery that his chauffeur has been shaghaied as PH's lady in waiting.

(*) All official DRF cars are popularly known as crown cars, because of a crown on the numberplates.

Last edited:
QMII to has given an interview to Søndagsavisen: Dronning Margrethe: Jeg bliver vildere og vildere - Søndagsavisen

Predominantly about her work as scenographer for the play The Tin Soldier.

But she also speaks a little about her grandchildren and I thought that would be of more immediate interest to this board.

She would very much like to pass on her interest in the fairy tales of H.C. Andersen and she would like to read them to her grandchildren. (*) She says: "I don't read as much for them as I should like, or ought to. It's difficult sometimes to find the time, and then they are at different ages. If they are together you do one thing only, and when they are alone it's often something else you occupy yourself with".
She would like for the grandchildren to se The Tin Soldier in Tivoli, but it won't be with her: "I won't. We are flying all over the place - also in the summer - all of us. Everybody has something they must do and when we are finally together, its' not here".

About her creativity she laughs: "I've always been thinking in colors, but over the years I've become wilder and wilder and worse and worse". (**)

Here is a picture from the paper of QMII as scenographer, in the various plays: http://sondagsavisen.dk/2013/26/~/media/CC9FE9BA551D4D28A780E008269A9F01.ashx

(*) She can give me a call and drop by here anytime. I would love to hear her read out fairy tales to my children - and not least to me!

(**) Worse of course as in more and more outrageous and crazy.

---I don't think Søndagsavisen, which is a pretty sober weekly, is among the links in the newspaper thread, so you may wish to do some exploring yourselves here: http://sondagsavisen.dk/search.aspx?q=kronprinsesse&search=
(I wrote: kronprinsesse - in the search field just to see how much there is.).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom