Queen Margrethe II & Prince Henrik, Current Events Part 4: Jan. 2013 - November 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #42, 2014.
Written by our woman in France, Annelise Weimann.

The Regent Couple have been at Chateau Cayx for the annual wine harvest. Things seems to go pretty well, but just like any other farmer world wide, PH is never too positive... :p
Perhaps with some justification this year. Because even though the wine has gotten a pretty good review in the magazine Decanter, wild boars have eaten grapes to the equivalent of twelve thousand bottles of white wine. So he only got ten thousand bottles this yearm and he added lakonnically: "I'll be a poor farmer".

The wine harvest is going on in fact as the article went into print, so it's still too early to say what will be the final outcome.

But apart from the harvest PH has opened his own art museum in the vaults under the chateau. Here he is displaying his rather large collection of African art (*) and a collection of jade pieces.

While our reporter was there a film was being made about the chateau. The film will be a part of small clips designed to promote France.

(*) I learned a couple of years ago, by following the DRF, that virtually all African art is contemporary. In the sense that traditionally art in Africa is made for the present, to be used or enjoyed now and then it will be discarded. Art pieces being handed down through the generations are the exception - outside of collectors circles that is.

------------------------------------

Written by Ken Richter.

QMII opened the newly renovated Moesgaard Natural History Museaum in Aarhus - and that was something that had her interest!

In fact she opened the museum when it had been been build back in 1970, so this is a place she is most familiar with.
After giving the speech and opening the whole show it was time for a tour of the museum, and that lasted longer, a lot longer, than scheduled! Because the Majesty was very interested in curious and she wasn't contend with seeing what the museum had planned for her to see, she took a detour when something caught her interest and that happened a number of times.

- I can almost see her adjutant and LiW trying to drag QMII away from the museum! :lol:

Last edited:
Some of you may think you've lived to see it all. Wrong!

Written by Henrik Salling.
The author, Erik Svane and the cartoonist, Thierry Capezzone, have made a comics album about QMII's early life as a princess.
The title is Daisy - a Princess in Denmark. Hardcover and costs a whopping 168 DKK! :eek:

They plan to publish a second volume, about QMII's early years as queen.

Reading the captions to some of the pictures it's clear to me that they are based on actual quotes from either interviews or biographies and also that the cartoonist has looked a pics of what QMII actually wore a various events.
Judge for yourself:
https://app.box.com/s/3zprxlxxlfqtwjps1cwb
https://app.box.com/s/68yr836mbwe6nbm4vz3k

Last edited:
Some of you may think you've lived to see it all. Wrong!

Written by Henrik Salling.
The author, Erik Svane and the cartoonist, Thierry Capezzone, have made a comics album about QMII's early life as a princess.
The title is Daisy - a Princess in Denmark. Hardcover and costs a whopping 168 DKK! :eek:

Reading the captions to some of the pictures it's clear to me that they are based on actual quotes from either interviews or biographies and also that the cartoonist has looked a pics of what QMII actually wore a various events.
Judge for yourself:
https://app.box.com/s/3zprxlxxlfqtwjps1cwb
https://app.box.com/s/68yr836mbwe6nbm4vz3k

Okaaaaay.... i bet no-one predicted this to happen at the start of the year, a royal comic book :)
I'm still undecided between "hmm, might be interesting" and "....why...?"

Okaaaaay.... i bet no-one predicted this to happen at the start of the year, a royal comic book :)
I'm still undecided between "hmm, might be interesting" and "....why...?"

Perhaps not all DRF members are of the current generation that sees 'read' as a four letter word best to be avoided.:bang:This kind of book in North America is called a 'graphic novel' and is wildly popular among young people. No doubt this publication is meant to endear the DRF to the next generation:flowers:

Thanks, Iceflower. :flowers:

As you can tell from QMII's broad smile this is a book that is sure to be read!

Let's have a little peculiar trivia about DRF burials.
Nowadays Monarchs are buried in (or outside) Roskilde Cathedral. But in medieval times that was different. If a king was killed in battle or murdered he was always buried locally. That happened to quite a few kings!
If the king died a natural death he was taken away and most often buried at Roskilde Cathedral.
I have never heard an explanation for that custom.

Dronningen fejrer Kastellet | Billed Bladet
As a part of the celebration of the first forming of a regular standing army in Denmark, QMII today visited Kastellet in Copenhagen. - Near Amalienborg, actually Mary has been observed going for a morning jog around there.
Kastellet is the main part of what used to be Copenhagen Fortress. Copenhagen used to heavily fortified up until WWII.
Today it's still a military HQ and it houses various military installations.

She was recieved by the commandant, Jørgen Kold, and given a brief tour in a golfcar. (That's used more and more frequently, so I guess her knees are not always that well).
She visited the museum too and watched a number of displays, by among other the Horse Squadron of the Guards Hussars.
Then it was off to a reception.

A video of PH reading aloud from his poems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV57Wm6XsIA&feature=youtu.be

I should very much like to know what our French speaking members have to say to PH's French and if his poetry. :)

The event took place in the town of Viborg at the Soldiers Association for Prinsens Livregiment. - Which was BTW the oldest regiment in the army, but it has now been amalgamated into Jutland Dragoon Regiment, where Joachim is a reserve staff officer.
A livregiment is (was) a semi-guards regiment, but attached to a particular royal. So a fitting translation could be The Prince Consorts Own Regiment.

Queen Ingrid also had a livregiment - Dronningens Livregiment - which can be translated to something like The Dowager Queen's Own Regiment.
That regiment has also been amalgamated.
Members from that regiment used to stand guard outside Gråsten when Queen Ingrid was in residence.

HRH Prince Henrik visits the French soldiers' graves at Assistents Cemetery on November 11th.

PPE Agency

The Prince could have worn a black tie instead of this electric blue.

Interesting event. Any information on these French soldiers buried in DK?

That's an interesting question, because I have been wondering too.
As far as I can see there is also a Belgian flag.

As this is supposed to be in commemoration of WWI, that's slightly confusing. If we look apart from the odd escaped POW who might have been interred in DK during WWI and died there, I don't know why Belgian and French soldiers should be buried in Copenhagen.
There are lots of British sailors buried in DK from WWI, especially after the battle of Jutland 1916, but they are mostly buried at local churchyards along the west coast of Jutland

If the graves are from WWII then it makes a lot more sense. I'm sure there must have been certainly Free French aircrews operating over DK.

ADDED: More from Royalista: http://royalista.com/56032/prince-henrik-remembers-fallen-soldiers/

Last edited:
:previous:looks like a wonderful event
The Queen in white, uniforms, horses :flowers:

November 18, 2014 - HM the Queen shall Tuesday, November 18 visit to Egedal municipality in North Zealand.

Program of the visit

Queen arrives at Egedal at City Hall. 10:00 and the visit is terminated by Ledøje Church at. 14:30.

Tuesday, November 18

Kl. 10:00
HM the Queen are welcomed by the mayor at Egedal City Hall and Health Center, where Egedal Music School children's choir will perform at Civic Square. Upon receipt presented the Queen welcomed by the city council in the town hall where the mayor gives a speech and presents Egedal municipality gift.

Kl. 10:30
Queen reveals artist Malene Landgreens mural on Civic Square, after which the Queen, is shown to City Hall and Egedal Health Center.

Kl. 11:15
The queen informed about employment project Jobbroen and inspect the site shop and workroom. During the visit, attends the Queen a show of catwalk with children costumes.

Kl. 11:45
Queen visits the children's house waterfall, where educators work with the involvement of the environment in children's learning and development. During the visit, the Queen presented children's house 'multi-room' and 'sciencerum'.

Kl. 12:30
Queen participate in the council's official lunch at City Hall.

Kl. 13:45
Queen visits exhibition platform 'Panopticon', which offers views over the ancient landscape Værebro Valley. During his visit, the Queen get told about Værebro valley's historical significance.

Kl. 14:10
The Queen visits by Ledøje Church, which was built in the 1200s, and as with its twin church is the only one of its kind in Scandinavia. The queen will during the visit have told church history.

Source: www.kongehuset.dk

Thanks Dazzling.

I was wondering what was so special about Ledøje church.
Build in 1225 or there about, it looks like a standard parish church of that period, just not chalked white as is most common: http://www.egedalforum.dk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/cid__4A7142C9CAF49747B31840EE039E52B5@fd09.jpg

It isn't. It unique in DK in being a double-church. I.e. two churches in one.
The upper church for the local nobleman and his family (he build the church as a private chapel in the first place) with the only access to the upper church via a corridor going from the now long gone manor.
The common riff-riff, servants, tenants, merchants and what not used the lower church. Ledøje Kirke | ls-kirker.dk

The church is believed to have been inspired by similar chapels in Germany, but such churches are rare.

Perhaps our resident expert, FasterB, can tell us more? :)

The odds are about 0.00004:1 that QMII is very well aware of the history of that church and that she has visited it before.

Last edited:
I have to say that HM white cashmere coat worn to the Hussars regiment on the 17th is my all time favourite. I just love it. Wish it were cold enough here sometimes for us to where that type of thing.

:previous: The cashmere worn by QMII was by Celli Freifeldt, according to BB.

Summery of article in Billed Bladet #47, 2014.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

You may recall that Prince Henrik were among a number of people laying down wreaths at the graves of French soldiers on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of WWI.
You may also recall how I was puzzled as to what French soldiers from WWI were doing in Denmark, let alone being buried there.

It turns out that they were among a number of French soldiers who after WWI were on transit back to France. Unfortunately they caught the Spanish Flu and died.

Every year these soldiers are commemorated by an organisation called Le Souvenier Francais, which look after French wargraves all over the world.
PH happens to be patron of Le Souvenier Francais in Denmark and it was in that capacity he was there, along with a number of ambassadors and other representatives.
Back in 1918 there were clear class distinctions, officers were buried in a zink-coffin, privates in a wooden coffin.

Last edited:
:previous:That is also my all time favorite coat on her, it is beautiful when I first saw it and still think the same. The town of Viborg is beautiful and that is now on my must list of places to visit some day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom