Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 3: August 2010 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:

Queen Margrethe posing with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and his Danish
counterpart Lars Lokke Rasmussen during an audience at Amalienborg Palace in
Copenhagen on April 26, 2011. Vladimir Putin is on a one-day visit to Denmark.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** bt.dk: To smaa maend og en hoej dame **

:previous:

Queen Margrethe posing with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and his Danish
counterpart Lars Lokke Rasmussen during an audience at Amalienborg Palace in
Copenhagen on April 26, 2011. Vladimir Putin is on a one-day visit to Denmark.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** bt.dk: To smaa maend og en hoej dame **

Interesting to see Puting smiling in the company of royalty! He's usually looking a little austere in the company of politicians!

Viv

Last edited:
Interesting to see Puting smiling in the company of royalty! He's usually looking a little austere in the company of politicians!

Viv

Politicians are opponents.

When it's a head of state, Putin can allow himself to turn on the charm.

- And perhaps he view QMII as a more impressive figure than the PM, Lars Løkke? :p

And we have a few tid bits from Billed Bladet #17, 2011.

The Easter weather this year has been nothing short of perfect! As such we may hope the Regent Couple enjoyed their stay at Marselisborg, because apart from a very old friend, they were alone.
Neither M&F nor M&J visited them

QMII visited a few exhibitions while in Aarhus, but that has already been covered.

When the Regent Couple visit USA in June, QMII will be awarded the title of "Person of the Year". That will take place at the 9. June at a gala dinner at American Museum of Natural History in New York.
The prize will be awarded by The Danish American Society. (*) Among the previous recipients were victor Borge.

(*) I hope American members of this forum will not find my question in poor taste.
I often see Americans defined as Danish American, African Americans, Italian Americans and so on.
Do you use it because it has become politically correct or fashionable to define people like that? Or is it because you feel that definition is a genuine part of your identity?

From my perspective it seems a bit, not odd, but strange I guess. Because when I look at an American, I first and foremost see an American, who may happen to be of say Spanish decend but still primarily an American.
If I am to define myself I'd say Dane first and foremost, then perhaps a Jutlander if I feel like making a point of that, then a European.

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense taken, Muhler. I'll try to answer that as best I can. :flowers:

I would put African American in a totally different category than the others, as it's meant to describe race rather than nationality. It's become politically correct and fashionable simply because all the older words for describing dark-skinned people of African ancestry (Negro, colored, even black to a point) have become politically incorrect. People are often described as African American because for some reason race is a big part of identity in America, so for some reason people feel it's a necessary detail. (No one says, "I'm African American," when introducing themselves, because it's obvious to anyone looking at them, but people of all races would use it to describe other people.)

The other terms aren't used nearly as often, because generally it's not a huge part of your identity to be Italian-American or German-American or whatever. Most people are several nationalities. It's more something you would say about yourself or others in contexts where it's relevant. For instance, people involved with the Queen's visit will be describing themselves as Danish-Americans, but at other times they wouldn't bother.

While African American describes a person as being a different race and is therefore a significant thing, the specifics of European ancestry are more just interesting details. (I assume it's the same way with African ancestry; I've never heard anyone call themselves a Kenyan-American or a Congolese-American.) Swedish Americans and Irish Americans don't really feel there is anything different about their lives or experiences. Generally no one has any idea what anyone else is, and they don't really care. I can only tell you what one of my friend's nationalities is, and that's only because she's Norwegian and it came up in a conversation about my trip to Norway. Some people don't even know what they themselves are.

I think it's a bigger deal in the US than in a place like Denmark, because everyone here is something else. If you ask someone in America what their nationality is, you're asking about their ancestry. In Denmark I would assume that most families are Danish for centuries, so there's nothing to say about their ancestry.

Great answer, Maura724.

The US is a melting pot of every race and nationality that exists. Race and ancestry defines who we all are and the country as a whole. Many of us ______americans still maintain strong ties to our country of birth (or that of our parents.) Many of us still maintain our mother country's citizenship as well. To be from somewhere else is just part of our lives. Remember, the US is a very young country and unless you are Native American you or your family from a historical point just arrived yesterday.

There are many people and organizations that work very hard at maintaining traditions and languages from other parts of the world. It is very important for me as a Swede to be able to speak swedish, celebrate swedish traditions especially around christmas time and raise my children bi-lingual and familiar with their heritage. Most of the people I know feel the same and therefore the strong ties to original nationality while we at the same time are Americans.

Last edited:
Thank you for your interesting and throrough replies Maura724 & Grevinnan :flowers:

It's funny how things are done in different parts of the world.
There are Germans and Swedes in my family only three generations or so back and Mrs. Muhler's family also have a few immigrants.
Except for perhaps the first generation none of them have ever been referred to as anything but full blooded Danes.

The classification here in DK about people's etniticity or nationality is a veritable science of subtleties! And I could easily write a minor essay about that subject. :rolleyes:

If people look like Danes they are automatically classified as Danes until they say otherwise or until you hear their accent. (It's that language thing again. ;)) In which case they are classified by their nationality.
But a black American is not classified as an African, but as an American - who happens to be black. Because his language, dress and behaviour differ from the Africans we do have.

Last edited:
HM Queen Margrethe arriving at the pre-wedding dinner:

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

She looks radiant but I just wish she had her husband and son and daughter-in-law to accompany her... And I'm a bit disappointed at the fact that we won't be seeing any tiaras at these events and the couple is not attending the dinner. :ermm:

Last edited:
QMII stayed for about 24 hours in England in connection with the wedding.
She must have been pretty busy!
The day before the wedding she visited the Prince of Wales (something) regiment, of which she is an honorary colonel.
She did attend the reception after the wedding, but left for DK immediatly afterwards.

I understand from comments that she visits that regiment about once a year.

I most confess that I cannot remember the full name of the regiment, even though one of you kindly explained it to me.

I understand the regiment, in which QMII was orginally honorary colonel, known as the Buffs, has been amalgamated into the Prince of Wales Regiment.
That happens a lot these years. My own old regiment here in DK doesn't exist anymore either.

I should perhaps mention that it has been noticed here in DK that QMII has now worn her very blue outfit four times. - Personally I believe she doubled as a relay station for some of the communications.
http://www.bt.dk/royale/margrethe-i-samme-blaa-kjole-for-4.-gang

Last edited:
Why was it only her who attended the wedding? I don't know, it's possible I got the wrong expression but I thought she seemed rather lonely...

QMII stayed for about 24 hours in England in connection with the wedding.
She must have been pretty busy!
The day before the wedding she visited the Prince of Wales (something) regiment, of which she is an honorary colonel.
She did attend the reception after the wedding, but left for DK immediatly afterwards.

I understand from comments that she visits that regiment about once a year.

I most confess that I cannot remember the full name of the regiment, even though one of you kindly explained it to me.

I understand the regiment, in which QMII was orginally honorary colonel, known as the Buffs, has been amalgamated into the Prince of Wales Regiment.
That happens a lot these years. My own old regiment here in DK doesn't exist anymore either.

I should perhaps mention that it has been noticed here in DK that QMII has now worn her very blue outfit four times. - Personally I believe she doubled as a relay station for some of the communications.

Was it the Princess of Wales regiment?

Last edited:

While Queen Margrethe was in London, Prince Henrik has travelled to Sweden!

He attended the opera "Hoffmann's Adventure" in Malmo, Thursday evening, April
28. Offenbach's opera is about the German Romantic writer ETA Hoffmann's
adventures.

** Pic ** Prins Henrik såg fram emot Malmöoperan ** translation **

I'm really glad that Queen Margrethe wore her blue 'Christening' costume to the wedding of Prince William and Miss Catherine Middleton because I think it looked perfect on her. And the two occasions are both significant.

Queen Margrethe seemed so happy to be in London - very animated and joyful at the Abbey - singing the hymns which were wonderful.
She looked stunning at the dinner the night before as well.

You Danes must be proud to be represented by such a magnificent person.
Queen Margrethe is practical, sincere and talented. I like to watch her and Prince Henrik together; they have a natural way that has lasted and is a great example to those embarking on marriage.

It was wise for Queen Margrethe to accept the invitation and attend herself...though it would have been extra nice to see Prince Henrik.

The Crown Prince couple have their hands well and truly full. I think they would have enjoyed watching the spendour of the British wedding with their family at home. Babies can be sick or need undivided attention from their mother at any time; they can be totally unpredictable.

Last edited:
On April 30 Queen Margrethe attended the 100th anniversary of The Danish Society for Nature Conservation at Nytorv in Copenhagen.

PPE Agency

This is really cool - a link to a BBC film made for Margrethe's state visit to England in 1974 was posted over the weekend on the Glittering Royal Events Message Board. There are lengthy interviews with both Margrethe and Henrik (I've never heard him speak English before, but his accent is quite good), footage from her childhood, engagement, and wedding, and lots of footage filmed for the video of her daily work at the beginning of her reign. It's fascinating to see her talking about her role as Queen, 40 years ago.

Søg i Bonanza - dr.dk/Bonanza

A little gem, Maura724 :flowers:

I watched the first 15 minuttes or so and I noticed a couple of things.

The hair length first and foremost. When the first conscript sailors who were allowed to have long hair were seen around 1970, with their hair half covering their ears, Frederik IX wasn't pleased! In his mind sailors do not have long hair!

Also, did you notice QMII's protection officer walking beside her, when she visited the Faroe Islands? He looked like a senior, and somewhat overweight, CID man (detective) to me. A far cry from the professionals from PET today.
QMII was usually only accompanied by a LiW, when she walked the streets of Copenhagen in the very early 70's. - That changed with the wave of international terrorism which was becoming a genuine menace at that time.

I've just watched the whole film - thank you so much for posting the link!

Also, did you notice QMII's protection officer walking beside her, when she visited the Faroe Islands? He looked like a senior, and somewhat overweight, CID man (detective) to me. A far cry from the professionals from PET today.

I saw that guy, but it didn't occur to me that he was a protection officer! He certainly didn't look very fierce. ;)

What was most striking to me was how different the young Margrethe seemed in some ways. Henrik has said that one of the things that so attracted him was that she seemed almost insecure, not self-confident, and not very sure of herself when they met. I don't see any of that in Margrethe now, but it shows itself a couple times in the video - she seems almost nervous at times during the interview. Not throughout, but some of the time. She also seems very "fresh" and natural. I think Margrethe still comes across as very natural and open, probably more so than the other monarchs, but there's very much something of the venerable old queen and wise matriarch to her now. I was struck by how very young she seemed in her 30s. Interesting to see, because this younger Margrethe is the one who came to the throne in 1972 and the one who Henri met and fell in love with in London in the 60s.

From Billed Bladet #18, 2011.

Prince Henrik has been busy lately.

While QMII went to London, PH went to the Opera in Malmö, Sweden.
But he also found time to follow the wedding on TV and he said to our reporter: "I didn't think you saw the Queen on the screen that often and that was a bit dissapointing. I missed that, but it's lovely the Queen is back home again". http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige/ArticleFolder/2011/5/Prins%20Henrik%20Jeg%20savnede%20at%20se%20Margrethe%20noget%20mere.aspx

He has also been appointed "European of the Year", by the Europe Movement, which works for more integration and more brotherhood in Europe. PH was singled out for his ability to bridge btween Danish and not least French culture. His ability to absorb/encompass several cultures makes him an obvious choise.
Previous recipients have been: Anders Fogh rasmussen, Jose Manuel Barroso and Angela Merkel.
The movement is very pro-EU.

Saturday afternoon QMII opened the outdoor exhibition "Denmark loveliest - 100 preservations" on behalf of Danish Nature Preservation Society. The weather was great so QMII took her time looking at the exhibition, enjoying a glass of wine and and a bite and chatting with people. And she was in very good mood as she was heard laughing a number of times.

Last edited:
But he also found time to follow the wedding on TV and he said to our reporter: "I didn't think you saw the Queen on the screen that often and that was a bit dissapointing. I missed that, but it's lovely the Queen is back home again".

Agreed. Glad to know Henrik wasn't impressed with the miniscule coverage of other royals, either! ;)

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #18, 2011.
Varme følelser på slotstrappen - Warm feelings on the stairs of the palace.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

Last week the Regent Couple moved to Fredensborg to stay there for the summer and as has been tradition for many years the locals greeted the royals with a torch procession.
QMII and Prince Henrik stood on this balmy spring evening on the stairs, hand in hand and watched the parade move up towards the palace.
As usual the local scouts and Home Guard company had been mobilized along with local citizens (and their dogs, nice weather to walk vuffer = doggy) all in all several hundreds.
And as always QMII said a few words: "I'm delighted that the weather is so beautiful and that it doesn't even rain! As you know the Prince Consort and I always look forward to move out to Fredensborg after a long winter. We are not just warm from the torches but also from our hearts".

It is hoped M&F will join the Regent Couple on the stairs next year.

Annelise Weimann says Prince Henrik's jacket matched QMII's dress. Well, is she say so...

Now, should the good citizens of Fredensborg ever incorporate this in their torchparade, I'll be there every year as well!

YouTube - Andre Rieu - Conquest of Paradise (Maastricht 2008) DIGITAL TV

Prince Henrik visited Kirsten Piils Kilde close to the amusement Park Bakken in
Klampenborg, May 5th, 2011.

** Pic ** ppe gallery **

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik boarded the Royal Yacht Dannebrog in Copenhagen
on May 10, 2011 to mark the beginning of this summer's cruises.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik boarded the Royal Yacht Dannebrog in Copenhagen
on May 10, 2011 to mark the beginning of this summer's cruises.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Thank you, Iceflower :flowers:

Interesting...
The yacht-captain is wearing the complete full dress uniform, while Prince Henrik is weaing an incomplete full dress uniform. I.e. without his sabre.
One is tempted to think the girth isn't long enough to go around Prince Henrik's....eeh pondus anymore. :p

Good question :D and you are most welcome as always!

I often wonder if Queen Margrethe sometimes aims her remarks at him..;)

** Pic 1

Oh, I don't think QMII can see any faults in her Henri. :)

I see from the pic, that PH wore the regulation sabre, when they went ashore in Helsingør. - I almost added that there are plenty of cables onboard a ship, which can be used as a substitute for a belt, but I didn't. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom