Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 3: August 2010 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the official DRF calendar, you'll notice that Joachim is currently Rigsforstander.
At this time every year, QMII goes to England in order to buy Christmas presents.
And that's when her Christmas preparation start in earnest.

In order to get an idea of QMII Christmas preparations, I'll post this translation from Billed Bladet #49, 2006. (They are really captions to pictures I no longer have, but you'll get the idea).

Billed Bladet #49, 2006.

Margrethe pynter op – Margrethe decorates.

Gaven til farmor – The present for grandmother.
In 2005 Den Gamle By (*) in Århus exhibited a green mirror, which Princess Margrethe had given her grandmother (farmor), Queen Alexandrine, at Christmas 1951. The eleven year old Princess had painted the antique mirror herself, which her mother had bought during a holiday in Rome. As children Queen Margrethe and her two sisters liked to make the Christmas-presents for the family themselves. Back then the celebration took place in Frederik IX beloved hunting-lodge in Trend, where the royal family could be together in complete private, with only a minimum of staff.

(*) Den Gamle By – The Old Town. An open air museum, consisting of old houses and building brought to Århus from all parts of Denmark and rebuild here. Provides an excellent picture of a typical merchant town from 1750-1910. Very picturesque during winters when the snow has fallen.

Margrethes nisser – Margrethe’s Pixies.
The royal red pixies made of paper, which among other things are placed on the Christmas table at Marselisborg, was made by Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim in the 1970’s. They were made after models, which the Queen had made. The pixies are build up around cones turned upside down and adorned with among other things glasses, books, pibes and plates with cakes, so that each one of them has a personal expression. The pixies were introduced to the public in 2003 in connection with Royal Copenhagen’s 40 year anniversary-exhibition for royal Christmas tables.

På natarbejde – On the nightshift.
Queen Margrethe has always made most of her Christmas decorations herself. “It’s a nightjob”, as she told the author Lone Rahbeck Christensen. “I only really get started when we get to Marselisborg and as the time up to Christmas is short, I sit up at night and cut and glue”. As a child the Queen was often in Illums Bolighus (furnitures and accessories) with her mother to buy Christmas decorations for the table and the tree. In the DRF there is a tradition for everyone to decorate the tree on Christmas-day (the 24th), while the Christmas table, which the Queen sets herself is a secret until shortly before dinner. This tradition stems back to the days of Queen Ingrid and Frederik IX.

Bærer selv poserne – Carries the bags herself.
The month of Christmas has always been busy for Queen Margrethe, who can here be seen Christmas shopping in 1974 with two Magazin-bags(*) in her hands. The Queen is very determined to observe the Christmas traditions and she is very enthusiastic about the Christmas preparations. She carefully selects the presents for the staff, which are being presented in person by the Regent Couple. To the Christmas preparations also belongs the hundreds of Christmas cards, which the Queen and the Prince Consort each year writes to the other European royal houses, associates, aquantainces and staff.

(*) Magazin. – Harrods, just on a much smaller scale.

Overtog efter Ingrid – Took over after Ingrid.
Princess Benedikte has taken over her mother’s tradition about visiting the great Christmas bazaar in Svenska Gustafskyrkan at Østerport Station in Copenhagen. Here a lot of Swedish delicacies for the Christmas table can be bought. (*) The Princess opened Det Svenska Julemarknad for the first time in 1997, when she stood in for Queen Ingrid, who had fractured her femur. Here the Princess is seen at the bazar in 2005.

(*) Swedish delicacies is a regional tradition. Copenhagen being next door to Sweden. I’ve also omitted the list of various Swedish delicacies as they would be rather meaningless to non-Scandinavian readers.

I'll leave it to our moderators to decide whether this is still relevant. :)

Last edited:
Very interesting to read that the royal family decorates the tree on Christmas day and not on Christmas eve.

Very interesting to read that the royal family decorates the tree on Christmas day and not on Christmas eve.

Let me clarify:

They decorate the tree on the day of the 24th.
Juledag/juleaftensdag = Christmas Day/the Day of Christmas Eve = 24th.
1. Juledag = First Day of Christmas or First Christmas Day = 25th.
2. Juledag = Second Day of Christmas.
The 25th and 26th are holydays in DK.

Last edited:
Juledag/juleaftensdag = Christmas Day/the Day of Christmas Eve = 24th.
1. Juledag = First Day of Christmas or First Christmas Day = 25th.
2. Juledag = Second Day of Christmas.
The 25th and 26th are holydays in DK.
And let me clarify that :flowers:
It goes like this:
Juleaftensdag/Juleaften = Christmas Eve = 24th.
Juledag/1. Juledag = Christmas Day = 25th.
2. Juledag = Second Day of Christmas = 26th

Last edited:
And let me clarify that :flowers:
It goes like this:
Juleaftensdag/Juleaften = Christmas Eve = 24th.
Juledag/1. Juledag = Christmas Day = 25th.
2. Juledag = Second Day of Christmas = 26th

To add to the confusion for esp. Anglophone posters:
In the Nordic countries ( correct me if I'm wrong) the big celebration on the 24th of December. The Danish word is 'Juleaftensdag', but Christimas Eve will do:)! The 24th is the day when many Danes flock to church before they sit down for their roast goose/duck/pork and rice pudding while the kids are waiting impatially for the Christmas Tree to be lit (well, preferably the candles only;)!) and the gifts distributed.

Christimas Day is the time for the big Smorgåsbord de luxe.

And in case anyone wants to know: The birth of the one causing the festivities is still being celebrated in the Danish churches on the 25th!

viv

And in case anyone wants to know: The birth of the one causing the festivities is still being celebrated in the Danish churches on the 25th!
Eh, no... The services on the 24th and the 25th are pretty much the same. It´s the same text and pretty much all of the priests uses the same lecture.

So the big celebration in the danish churches are on the 24th.

Eh, no... The services on the 24th and the 25th are pretty much the same. It´s the same text and pretty much all of the priests uses the same lecture.

Erm .. no, sorry, Faster B, not quite! It may work for 1. tekstrække, but not for 2. tekstrække, to which we just changed. Anyway: The 25th is Juledag is still known as "Kristi fødselsdag" - the Birthday of Christ -in the Alterbog!
In case you have further comments, PM me!

:flowers::flowers::flowers:
Viv

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #49, 2011.
Prinsen surfer - The Prince is surfing.
Written by Trine Larsen.

At the age of 77 and perhaps inspired by his grandchildren, Prince Henrik has got himself an iPad. Apparantly he is pretty adept at using the contraption.
PH has long since adopted a mobile - in complete contrast to QMII who still rely a stationary telephone and a manual typewriter.

- The advertising agencies get it completely wrong when they advertise for phones and what not. They should really appeal to the grandchildren: "Give your grandpa a mobile for Christmas".
Grandchildren are the best teachers and the best arguments for why grandparents acquire electronic gadgets.

- You really need a mobile, granny.
- Nah, too small, too complicated, can't see anything on the display and my good old phone has served me well for many, many years.
- With a mobile, you can get in contact with your grandchildren anytime.
- :eek:
- They will gladly come by and teach how to use it.
- :D I gotta have one of them thingies!

Last edited:
If you look at the official DRF calendar, you'll notice that Joachim is currently Rigsforstander.
At this time every year, QMII goes to England in order to buy Christmas presents.
And that's when her Christmas preparation start in earnest.

In order to get an idea of QMII Christmas preparations, I'll post this translation from Billed Bladet #49, 2006. (They are really captions to pictures I no longer have, but you'll get the idea).

Billed Bladet #49, 2006.

Margrethe pynter op – Margrethe decorates.

Gaven til farmor – The present for grandmother.
In 2005 Den Gamle By (*) in Århus exhibited a green mirror, which Princess Margrethe had given her grandmother (farmor), Queen Alexandrine, at Christmas 1951. The eleven year old Princess had painted the antique mirror herself, which her mother had bought during a holiday in Rome. As children Queen Margrethe and her two sisters liked to make the Christmas-presents for the family themselves. Back then the celebration took place in Frederik IX beloved hunting-lodge in Trend, where the royal family could be together in complete private, with only a minimum of staff.

(*) Den Gamle By – The Old Town. An open air museum, consisting of old houses and building brought to Århus from all parts of Denmark and rebuild here. Provides an excellent picture of a typical merchant town from 1750-1910. Very picturesque during winters when the snow has fallen.

Margrethes nisser – Margrethe’s Pixies.
The royal red pixies made of paper, which among other things are placed on the Christmas table at Marselisborg, was made by Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim in the 1970’s. They were made after models, which the Queen had made. The pixies are build up around cones turned upside down and adorned with among other things glasses, books, pibes and plates with cakes, so that each one of them has a personal expression. The pixies were introduced to the public in 2003 in connection with Royal Copenhagen’s 40 year anniversary-exhibition for royal Christmas tables.

På natarbejde – On the nightshift.
Queen Margrethe has always made most of her Christmas decorations herself. “It’s a nightjob”, as she told the author Lone Rahbeck Christensen. “I only really get started when we get to Marselisborg and as the time up to Christmas is short, I sit up at night and cut and glue”. As a child the Queen was often in Illums Bolighus (furnitures and accessories) with her mother to buy Christmas decorations for the table and the tree. In the DRF there is a tradition for everyone to decorate the tree on Christmas-day (the 24th), while the Christmas table, which the Queen sets herself is a secret until shortly before dinner. This tradition stems back to the days of Queen Ingrid and Frederik IX.

Bærer selv poserne – Carries the bags herself.
The month of Christmas has always been busy for Queen Margrethe, who can here be seen Christmas shopping in 1974 with two Magazin-bags(*) in her hands. The Queen is very determined to observe the Christmas traditions and she is very enthusiastic about the Christmas preparations. She carefully selects the presents for the staff, which are being presented in person by the Regent Couple. To the Christmas preparations also belongs the hundreds of Christmas cards, which the Queen and the Prince Consort each year writes to the other European royal houses, associates, aquantainces and staff.

(*) Magazin. – Harrods, just on a much smaller scale.

Overtog efter Ingrid – Took over after Ingrid.
Princess Benedikte has taken over her mother’s tradition about visiting the great Christmas bazaar in Svenska Gustafskyrkan at Østerport Station in Copenhagen. Here a lot of Swedish delicacies for the Christmas table can be bought. (*) The Princess opened Det Svenska Julemarknad for the first time in 1997, when she stood in for Queen Ingrid, who had fractured her femur. Here the Princess is seen at the bazar in 2005.

(*) Swedish delicacies is a regional tradition. Copenhagen being next door to Sweden. I’ve also omitted the list of various Swedish delicacies as they would be rather meaningless to non-Scandinavian readers.

I'll leave it to our moderators to decide whether this is still relevant. :)

It would be a shame to lose these wonderful traditions of Queen Ingrid & Queen Daisy............hopefully Joachim, who is very into Danish culture & tradition will teach & introduce many of these ideas to Marie and she will adopt many of them - incorporating her own traditions .
Did Alex bring with her many traditions from her family when she moved to Denmark?

Just out of curiousity, why does the Queen of Denmark go to England to buy christmas presents? Why does she not shop in Denmark?

Just out of curiousity, why does the Queen of Denmark go to England to buy christmas presents? Why does she not shop in Denmark?

I don't know. :ermm:
She usually buy an English cake and perhaps it's more descreet to get presents abroad - and more original.

I doubt she was there just to buy Christmas decorations. There are pictures of her & her sister, she might have been on a short visit to see family just before the holidays and popped down to the shops to buy decorations. Anyways, Harrods is said to have the nicest Christmas decoration stuff and that people fly in just to purchase them, one of the departments busiest times.

The Queen of Spain also shops for Christmas in London, but perhaps she does it for the same reasons Dazzling mentioned above: Harrods and visiting family (King Constantine) :flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #1, 2012.
Magiske Margrethe - Magical Margrethe.
Written by Frodi Holm Knudsen & Ulrik Ulriksen.

Who pulled sentry duty outside the Home of Marianne Tholstrup on New Years Eve.
Here the Regent Couple and some of their close friends partied. The topic this year was magic.
I don't know what QMII was supposed to look like but it was something magic. Prince Henrik was a wizzard and once inside he donned a long beard.
The guest list consisted of old friends:
The host Marianne Tholstrup.
Birgette and Kjeld Hillingsøe.
Joen Bille and Bente Scavenius.
Susanne and Peter Heering.
Bent Fabricius-Bjerre and Camilla Arndt.
Dorthe and Nils Foss.

Now, as the observant among you will notice, with the Regent Couple that makes thirteen. - That won't do, so Marianne Tholstrup Anna Rosenkrantz as the fourteenth guest.

The party enjoyed among other things oysters and at midnight, the gentlemen went outside to shoot off some rockets. Kjeld Hillingsøe, as a former lieutenant general was in charge of the fireworks.
Then a nightsnack before it was time to head home.

Last edited:

Yesterday, January 6, Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik were in France to attend
the 'Napoli' premiere by the Danish Royal Ballet at the Opera Garnier in Paris.

In the afternoon they were pictured out and about in Paris:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gallery **

And here are some nice pics of the ballet premiere:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** gettyimaeges/daylife ** getty **

What a gorgeous venue. How nice of Henri to accompany the Queen to an event she loves - the Ballet. Thats the beauty of living in Europe its not far to go places/events when they are in another country.

Prince Henrik today, January 12, received the Berlingske Fund's annual prize that is awarded
to mark the magazine Berlingske's birthday and annually given to a Dane, who, according to
Berlingske has "great political, economic or cultural importance for the country". Previous
award recipients have been poet and author Benny Andersen and NATO Secretary General
Anders Fogh Rasmussen.

Prince Henrik announced that he will donate the prize money - 100.000 Danish kroner - to
the Danish students at the Danish House in Paris.

** Pic ** b.dk: Prins Henrik støtter danske studerende i Paris ** translation **

** bt.dk: Her modtager Prins Henrik 100.000 kr. ** sn.dk gallery ** b.dk gallery **

Last edited:
I thought you were supposed to blend in to your surroundings and not spook the deer. Bright red announces HERE I AM .

I thought you were supposed to blend in to your surroundings and not spook the deer. Bright red announces HERE I AM .
I doubt the dear can distinguish red from other colors. Normally you would wear something bright orange in order to keep your hunting buddies from mistake you for a deer.

Does not look like he cares one bit how he dresses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom