Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 2: January 2007 - August 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What order has the painter placed on Margrethe, UserDane? It looks like the Norwegian Order of St Olav. Or is it another Danish order that I'm not aware of? :flowers:

Ups, you got me there :blush: - I'm not very good at distinguishing orders I'm afraid.
I haven't found any information about it online. The only things I found was that the painter has chosen to depict the queen as a painter herself and that she is standing in the garden of Vallø Stift - of which the queen is a protector.

You can see Vallø Stift here - Vallø Stift - established in 1737, it was initially a non-profit organisation aiming at supporting unmarried noble women and work as a charitable organisation locally. Since 1976 when the terms of the trust were changed, it is solely a charitable organisation.

No problemo, sweetheart. And thank you for the added information regarding Vallø Stift.

Perhaps the order is a Commonwealth one? Maybe someone 'here' will be able to enlighten us both on the matter.

As always, thank you for posting :flowers:

I agree that while it's probably the normal thing to do for royalty, it is a little morbid.

It takes 6-7 years to make a royal sarcophagus? What happens if a young royal dies unexpectedly - for instance, what if Fred or Mary dropped dead of an undetected brain tumor tomorrow? I'm assuming there's no sarcophagus ready for either of them.

Perish the thought. Anyways, I doubt they would get one, having not been sole regents. And at any case, it probably would happen later. This is not something for the funeral, but for the memory...

I'm sorry to say this, but i don't like these portrait, i don't know why!!! maybe is the lack of smile, but it's weird....

Antonieta, I agree. (Ha, I'm coming across as sooo negative in this thread, sorry, everyone!)
I'm not sure it's the lack of her smile, but rather the figure on the portrait lacks QM's "presence" or regality or so. Margrethe is every inch a Queen (The Queen), but here, it seems as if some woman had just played dress-up. Apart from that, I don't think that her face looks a lot like Margrethe's.
Ah well, I don't know too much about art and have no idea about the intention of the artist, but that's my opinion :)
I did very much enjoy this pic of QM: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6898/12048201.jpg
Thanks for posting it, dazzling!

Does she go yearly to Norway and does she have a place there?
Thanks for the pictures.

:previous: I don't know if she goes skiing to Norway annually, but there have often been pictures of Queen Margrethe and Queen Sonja doing country cross skiing trips in Norway together in the past. Too bad the Norwegian Queen is in Vancouver currently. Maybe we would have seen them together otherwise. ;)

Several European newspapers are running stories about a poll of Danish citizens who want Margrethe to abdicate on her 70th birthday. The paper also say that the Queen does not want to abdicate.

Any news?

Renata, I heard that, too! Apparently, it was a poll by Capacent-Institute for Danmarks Radio; they asked 1000 people. But it doesn't say whom they asked and what the exact question was, so until a detailed survey is published, I don't believe any of it!

Queen Margrethe was supposed to have opened an exhibition of the Danish painter Christian Købke, "Christian Købke, Danish master of Light" at the National Gallery in London but has had to cancel because she has caught the flu - according to Kongehuset.dk - Kongehuset

Last edited:
:previous: Oh no! I hope that she gets well very soon. Was she already in London when she became ill, or was she still at home? Hopefully, she is at home where she'll be more comfortable.

I hope she's in Denmark, too - there's nothing worse than being sick away from home! I got really sick on a trip to Washington several years ago, and it was so miserable. :nonono:

Book says Queen was a pipe pilferer

Queen Margrethe, in her younger days, used to dig up old clay pipes in London’s Hyde Park without the permission of the authorities, it has been alleged. The pipes, which she unearthed in rose gardens within the royal park, were brought back to Denmark.

The revelation has come to light in a new book ‘Queen Margrethe and archaeology’ in which Count Jorgen Ahlefeldt-Laurvig recalls a time he spend with the young queen in the 1960s. The count tells of how he and the Queen scaled a fence to get at the rose beds where the clay pipes, thought to be from the 1500s, were buried.

Considering what young royals get into now, I love how THAT's her moment of youthful indiscretion! :lol:

Book says Queen was a pipe pilferer

Queen Margrethe, in her younger days, used to dig up old clay pipes in London’s Hyde Park without the permission of the authorities, it has been alleged. The pipes, which she unearthed in rose gardens within the royal park, were brought back to Denmark.

I guess she's a more avid smoker than we imagined! :)

On Thursday night, the Queen and Prince Regent will be welcomed to Fredensborg, where they typically spend the spring and summer. The townspeople will welcome them with a torchlight parade, and the local mayor will greet them.

sn.dk - Sjællands Nyheder - Lokal - Fredensborg

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik recently attended the 75th birthday celebrations of Flemming von Lüttichau, who was one of the court chamberlains up until a few years ago. Flemming and his wife Lena are also close friends of the Regent Couple.
Google Translate

Prince Henrik opened an exhibition at the Jylland Frigate, of which he has been patron of since 1979.
Google Translate

HM Queen participate in funeral ceremonies of the Polish President Lech Kaczynski and wife at 14.00

Summary of a note in Billed Bladet #14, 2010.
Prins Henrik svingede sabelen - Prince Henrik brandished the sabre.

This time PH opened an exhibition on how the sailors lived on the gundecks of the frigate Jylland, a mid 1800's Danish warship.

For anyone interested in naval history and in particular the transition period in the latter half of the 1800's, the Firgate Jylland is a must. There is incidentally a lighthouse ship moored very close to her.
Jylland (ship) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The town of Ebeltoft is also worth a visit. It's almost an open air museum and it still looks like a sleepy merchant town anno 1750-1850.
But come early, once the tourist arrive in the forenoon you can hardly see anything.
Ebeltoft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Located less than half an hour by car from where we live, we visit Fregatten Jylland = the frigate Jutland every year.
It's extremely interesting.
The frigate served for a period as the admiral/royal ship of the navy. She proved herself well in a battle during the Second Schlesvigan War in 1864, beating up a combined Preussian/Austrian squadron before a British frigate, for whatever reason, sailed in between the warring ships and interrupted the fight.
She was outfitted and set sail every summer. But once she had left port it was down with the chimney and up with the sails. This is a ship and not a machine!
The able seamen who worked in the rigging only came down on the deck when they had to, or if the weather was bad. Otherwise they slept in their hammocks in the rigging. They also relieved themselves at the end of the yardarms.
No need to sleep on the drafty gundecks - and there were fewer NCO's to bother them in the masts.
The heads right under the bowsprit were divded into two, each consisting of three holes down to the sea. To the one side the seamen relieved themselves, to the other side the NCO's and the boys went. That was meant to protect the boys from the lewd talk of the seamen.
The cannons are a mix of heavy smoothbores and rifled breachloaders, hyper modern cannons at the time. Armstrongs, I believe.
Yes, I could on....

HM Queen participate in funeral ceremonies of the Polish President Lech Kaczynski and wife at 14.00

Does someone know of the Queen and Danish Prime Minister were able to fly to Poland?
It seems that Copenhagen airport is still closed
cph.dk - Københavns Lufthavne

ETA: Acoording the Royal House site, the trip has been cancelled due the airspace conditions. The Queen met with the Polish ambassador in Fredesnborg at 3:00pm

H.M. Dronningens og Udensrigsministerens deltagelse i begravelsesceremonien i Krakow for den polske præsident Lech Kaczynski og hustru er aflyst på grund af flysituationen. H.M. Dronningen modtager den polske ambassadør i audiens på Fredensborg Slot kl. 15.00
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...sadør i audiens på Fredensborg Slot kl. 15.00

Last edited:
Prince Henrik out and about without any police or security
in Copenhagen, Denmark - April 22, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik went on board of the royal
Yacht Dannebrog today, May 7. To mark the beginning of the
royal ship season they inspected the ship's crew and had lunch
on board. They should have sailed by barge from Dannebrog into
the port of Snekkersten, but it's been said to be too dangerous
as to the waves.

Here's the article about it with several pics:

** Vejret drillede regentparrets tur med Dannebrog **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back