Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 1: May 2003 - November 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the whole Latin-approach to upbringing hasn't helped him. HRH Crown Prince Frederik really made it impossible for him to ever be popular when he told the truth in the "we never doubted your love"-speech. Funny how the Crown Prince has been able to deal so much better with a "strict" father than the Prince of Wales, who only really seemed to emancipate himself from Prince Philip at a very old age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Topsy-Turvy@May 21st, 2004 - 9:57 am
Yes the whole Latin-approach to upbringing hasn't helped him. HRH Crown Prince Frederik really made it impossible for him to ever be popular when he told the truth in the "we never doubted your love"-speech.
Yeah, he was really screwed when that emerged.

Originally posted by Topsy-Turvy@May 17th, 2004 - 10:43 pm
His Danish really isn't that bad, the speech he held at the wedding last friday was really good, and his Danish was better than it's reputation. ;)
To be honest, I think he had been practising a lot on that speech ;)

To be honest, I think he had been practising a lot on that speech ;) [/b]
:doh: I was hoping you wouldn't notice that.
"Det ær maj en stor glæde at byd velkommen til vænner fra næer og fjæern."

But hey, if practice makes perfect - just keep on practising. :zorro:

Theilmann  Posted: May 20th, 2004 - 7:50 am

fair that he got a bashing when he was whimpering about his role in the monarchy, and about how he was underappreachiated by the population.
I remember that incident .... curious about what the train of events was, to bring on that event?

Originally posted by King Christian@May 22nd, 2004 - 1:28 am
Theilmann   Posted: May 20th, 2004 - 7:50 am

fair that he got a bashing when he was whimpering about his role in the monarchy, and about how he was underappreachiated by the population.
I remember that incident .... curious about what the train of events was, to bring on that event?
Apparently he didn't like being reduced from being No. 2 to being No. 3 in the royal ceremonial procedures. He didn't like the fact that his son was more important than him, and therefore was ranked second only to HM the Queen. Prince Henrik had thought that he would remain No. 2 untill Crown Prince Frederik became King (If Prince Henrik was still alive by then). He spoke of his frustration :cry: in an interview, and the newspapers pounded on him immediately :hardhead: He then left the country and refused to come back for a couple of weeks. There is a bit of "the man who wanted to become :king: " about him.) :ermm:

That whole "we never doubted your love" speech, what was it? I only got that Frederik said something about how his dad didn't spoil him or something. Does someone have that speech so we can all better understand why some of Denmark became so hostile to Henrik for it??? Please post!
~Kathleen

Originally posted by SpiffyBallerina@May 23rd, 2004 - 11:56 pm
That whole "we never doubted your love" speech, what was it? I only got that Frederik said something about how his dad didn't spoil him or something. Does someone have that speech so we can all better understand why some of Denmark became so hostile to Henrik for it??? Please post!
~Kathleen
I believe it was at the 25th wedding anniversary of the Queen and Prince Henrik, that was June 10th 1992. I don't know if the whole speech can be found anywhere, but the "important" part of it was when the CP said: "they say that you chastize those you love, and Papa we have never doubted your love". The word chastize may not be appropriate but I'm trying to translate "tugter" into English. In this case it has to do with physical punishment / beating children. This did nothing to improve Prince Henriks popularity.

Originally posted by Theilmann@May 24th, 2004 - 6:17 am
I believe it was at the 25th wedding anniversary of the Queen and Prince Henrik, that was June 10th 1992. I don't know if the whole speech can be found anywhere, but the "important" part of it was when the CP said: "they say that you chastize those you love, and Papa we have never doubted your love". The word chastize may not be appropriate but I'm trying to translate "tugter" into English. In this case it has to do with physical punishment / beating children. This did nothing to improve Prince Henriks popularity.
Maybe the word is criticize?

"they say that you criticize those you love, and Papa we have never doubted your love".

Henrik seems like someone who would be critical of his sons and demand nothing less of perfection from them.

So what did Fred say about his MOTHER??? If he made comments on how Henrik raised him, what did he say of QMII?
~Kathleen

There are two in fred's case in parenthood, I wonder why only henry got the rep?And if fred got beat up (in the most severe case), where was queen? And why aren't nannies talking if fred got beat up? There are questions on and on....

SpiffyBallerina  Posted: May 24th, 2004 - 7:38 pm

So what did Fred say about his MOTHER???
You are - you know - referring to the Danish equivalent of "God" ?

That is, critiquing God is a no no any which way I see it ...... but then again, I'm not perfect in such matters. ;)

Theilmann  Posted: May 22nd, 2004 - 2:51 am

Apparently he didn't like being reduced from being No. 2 to being No. 3 in the royal ceremonial procedures. He didn't like the fact that his son was more important than him, and therefore was ranked second only to HM the Queen. Prince Henrik had thought that he would remain No. 2 untill Crown Prince Frederik became King (If Prince Henrik was still alive by then). He spoke of his frustration in an interview, and the newspapers pounded on him immediately He then left the country and refused to come back for a couple of weeks. There is a bit of "the man who wanted to become" about him.)
To be fair, Prince Philip of Great Britain has also found it hard to be second fiddle to his wife, and her heirs.

In hindsight, its good that his pout came before the Royal Wedding.

I believe it was at the 25th wedding anniversary of the Queen and Prince Henrik, that was June 10th 1992. I don't know if the whole speech can be found anywhere, but the "important" part of it was when the CP said: "they say that you chastize those you love, and Papa we have never doubted your love". The word chastize may not be appropriate but I'm trying to translate "tugter" into English. In this case it has to do with physical punishment / beating children. This did nothing to improve Prince Henriks popularity. [/b]
I don't think, that Frederik meant physical punishment when he said "tugte". "Tugte" can also be discipline, punish etc. I think, that PH was a very strict father, but I don't think he literally thrashed the children.

LOL !! I just read all posts about how to say the Queens name..and I was saying each and every version as I read them.....NOW..I am so tongue tied...I think I can only say "Maggie" correctly! ( But its ok..to all of you lovely Danes out there...I wouldnt use that horrible short form of the name in reference to your Queen!)

:p

thanks to all for trying to clear this up. As a linguist, I strive to get things right but I don't speak Danish. I will try to follow Yennie's example and say it that way!

http://ekstrabladet.dk/VisArtikel.iasp?PageID=250817

Dronningen må droppe smøgerne til norsk hofbal

Margrethe må udenfor, hvis hun vil ryge under besøg hos den norske kongefamilie

Af Niklas Roar - 7:45 - 29. maj. 2004

Den griber om sig den nye dille med at forbyde rygning på offentlige steder. I den norske hovedstad har forbuddet nu fået så dramatiske konsekvenser, at vores egen dronning risikerer at døje med både svedeture og aggressioner, når hun bliver inviteret til hofbal.

Det er med andre ord blevet forbudt at ryge til gallamiddagene på det slot, hvor den norske kongefamilie residerer.

Når de mange celebre gæster, herunder hendes kongelige røghed dronning Margrethe, føler trang til at inhalere den nikotinmættede os fra de slanke hvide pinde, må hun således tage sin jakke på og stille sig udenfor på slotspladsen sammen med chauffører og andet godtfolk.

Kongen stoppet
Det er dog slet ikke sikkert, at der overhovedet er nogen på slotspladsen i Oslo, der vil tage sig en smøg med vores dronning, for alle slottets ansatte får tilbud om at deltage i et rygestopkursus.

Den norske konge er i øvrigt selv holdt op med at ryge, og måske er rygestoppet på slottet i virkeligheden opstået ud fra devisen: - Når jeg ikke må, så må ingen.

Må ryge på båden
Der er ikke mange fristeder tilbage for de norske rygere. Hvis de vil pulse på cigaretterne indenfor på offentlige steder, er kun færger med udenlandske destinationer tilbage.

Forbuddet mod at ryge på offentlige steder træder i kraft på tirsdag.

London forventes at blive den næste europæiske storby, som tager forbuddet til sig.

Yeah....no idea what any of that means :blink: ...anyone care to translate??? :flower:
~Kathleen

Originally posted by SpiffyBallerina@May 31st, 2004 - 7:42 pm
http://ekstrabladet.dk/VisArtikel.iasp?PageID=250817

Dronningen må droppe smøgerne til norsk hofbal

Margrethe må udenfor, hvis hun vil ryge under besøg hos den norske kongefamilie

Af Niklas Roar - 7:45 - 29. maj. 2004

Den griber om sig den nye dille med at forbyde rygning på offentlige steder. I den norske hovedstad har forbuddet nu fået så dramatiske konsekvenser, at vores egen dronning risikerer at døje med både svedeture og aggressioner, når hun bliver inviteret til hofbal.

Det er med andre ord blevet forbudt at ryge til gallamiddagene på det slot, hvor den norske kongefamilie residerer.

Når de mange celebre gæster, herunder hendes kongelige røghed dronning Margrethe, føler trang til at inhalere den nikotinmættede os fra de slanke hvide pinde, må hun således tage sin jakke på og stille sig udenfor på slotspladsen sammen med chauffører og andet godtfolk.

Kongen stoppet
Det er dog slet ikke sikkert, at der overhovedet er nogen på slotspladsen i Oslo, der vil tage sig en smøg med vores dronning, for alle slottets ansatte får tilbud om at deltage i et rygestopkursus.

Den norske konge er i øvrigt selv holdt op med at ryge, og måske er rygestoppet på slottet i virkeligheden opstået ud fra devisen: - Når jeg ikke må, så må ingen.

Må ryge på båden
Der er ikke mange fristeder tilbage for de norske rygere. Hvis de vil pulse på cigaretterne indenfor på offentlige steder, er kun færger med udenlandske destinationer tilbage.

Forbuddet mod at ryge på offentlige steder træder i kraft på tirsdag.

London forventes at blive den næste europæiske storby, som tager forbuddet til sig.

Yeah....no idea what any of that means :blink: ...anyone care to translate??? :flower:
~Kathleen
Well, to put it short, it's a typical Ekstra Bladet-thing ;) :D

In Norway a new law makes it forbidden to smoke in public buildings. The way, that Ekstra Bladet choose to tell that story, is that HM Queen Margrethe now can't smoke at banquets held by the norwegan royal familiy :D

wow...that's kinda stupid. I mean, the law is fine or whatever, but an article about that and how QMII can't smoke when she goes there...hm...See, here's what I'm thinking: No one is really gunna tell QMII to not smoke no matter where she goes.... :p
~Kathleen

It's easyer to call her by her nickname Daisy. :p

From the Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet today 21 June - charging for tonights game in the Euros between Denmark & Sweden (from a special before tonights game, were they asked people with connections to both Sweden & Denmark how they feel and who they're hoping will win):

Queen Margrethe
Queen, Denmark
Queen Margrethe is cousins with the Swedish King. With other words, there is a risk for a conflict before tonights game between Sweden and Denmark.
SvD (the newspaper) called to the Danish Court and asked for The Queen of Denmark, but the Court said that she is on a visit to Greenland.

Will The Queen have a chance to follow the Europ game between Denmark and Sweden?
– We don't know yet, it can be hard up on Greenland, says the press service at the Danish Court.

Considering that Queen Margrethe is cousins with the Swedish King, which team will she be cheering for?
– We don't comment on those things, says the press service with a laugh.

Originally posted by SpiffyBallerina@Jun 1st, 2004 - 3:44 pm
wow...that's kinda stupid. I mean, the law is fine or whatever, but an article about that and how QMII can't smoke when she goes there...hm...See, here's what I'm thinking: No one is really gunna tell QMII to not smoke no matter where she goes.... :p
~Kathleen
and I don't think QM would do that anyway. I think she would ask before lighting up. Besides I'm sure these things are taken care of ahead of time. I'm sure he knows what areas she can smoke in etc. I'm sure she would not want to offend anyone.

As an aside I'm happy about the smoking law in Norway. Last time I was there my allergies were going crazy & a few times I felt sick to my stomach from the second hand smoke. :sick:

Is the queen of Denmark Margrethe I or II?

I was in doubt about it because I thought she is the first queen of Denmark, but I read articles published here that say she is the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom