Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 1: May 2003 - November 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have deleted the posts made above in another language. Please understand that the language at the forum is English. Refrain from comments in another language as it is rude to the person who doesn't understand it. If you must talk to a person in their language as goodwill gesture, please do so via PM.

pdas1201
Danish Family Supermoderator

bluebess said:
Well, I guess I won't be asking Prince Henrik to do any pet sitting!:eek:

:p:p:p!!! Funny! I'm sure he won't be so delighted to hear that!:D I suppose it is out of ordinary for us because we are not use to this, since we consider dogs domestic animals. But hey Prince Henrik enjoys it! Do their chef actually make it or was he just saying something he did a long time ago in Vietnam?

Here is an Australian article on the dog eating situation.

PRINCESS Mary of Denmark has been urged to educate the Danish Royal Family after her father-in-law revealed he had a penchant for eating dogs.The Times online today reported that 72-year-old Prince Henrik in a published interview admitted to loving dogs in a rather culinary way: "delicately sliced, lightly fried and served on a plate".
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19012476-13762,00.html

On the dog eating situation: The entire interview with HRH Henrik, the Prince Consort of Denmark, is available in Danish here (pdf): http://www.dsb.dk/servlet/BlobServer?blobtable=Download&blobheader=application/pdf&blobcol=urldownload&blobkey=id&blobwhere=1146456378535&ssbinary=true&filename=file.pdf (pp. 17-28 of 68). I give you a translation of a short, but relevant passage which Ekstra Bladet has chosen to leave out. Right after having concluded that dog meat is very dry , His Royal Highness states that “But I do not know if it was just the specific dog I tasted that was quite dry” (p. 23). Hence, His Royal Highness does not eat dog meat, but has tried it once, probably in South East Asia (assumption).

I wish you all a nice weekend!

/Lasse Pedersen

Lasse Pedersen said:
On the dog eating situation: The entire interview with HRH Henrik, the Prince Consort of Denmark, is available in Danish here (pdf): http://www.dsb.dk/servlet/BlobServer?blobtable=Download&blobheader=application/pdf&blobcol=urldownload&blobkey=id&blobwhere=1146456378535&ssbinary=true&filename=file.pdf (pp. 17-28 of 68). I give you a translation of a short, but relevant passage which Ekstra Bladet has chosen to leave out. Right after having concluded that dog meat is very dry , His Royal Highness states that “But I do not know if it was just the specific dog I tasted that was quite dry” (p. 23). Hence, His Royal Highness does not eat dog meat, but has tried it once, probably in South East Asia (assumption).

I wish you all a nice weekend!

/Lasse Pedersen
Thank you, Lasse. I was just about pointing the same. I wil go as far as saying that the foreign press is lying. Here is everything that Prince Henrik said. Everything that the media wrote other than that is made up.

Part of the interview:
Your Royal Highness, you like dogs. But you also like gastronomy. Have You ever tryid eating dog? People do that in some parts of the world, and I thought, that it perhaps could have happend in Your childhood in Vietnam or on one of all Your Royal visits?

- Yes, I have as of matter of fact. But then I have along the way maybe tryid almost everything, that you could possibly eat.

What does dog taste like?

It actually tastes a little like rabbit. I wouold rather say like dry goat. Hmm wait... no, wait. Like veal, it actually tastes more like veal. Like whole milk veal, yes. Like a very dry whole milk veal. But then I don't know, if it just was just the dog, that I tasted, that was very dry. It actually does not bother me to taste dogmeat. The dogs, you eat, are usually breed just for that, just like you do with chickens in Denmark. It is not dogs, that has lived within families, and suddently are eaten.

Notice! NOTHING about eating dog in Denmark. NOTHING about eating more than once. NOTHING about liking it, just "no bothering" about it. NOTHING about "delicately sliced, lightly fried and served on a plate". Most of it is just invented by the foriegn press. Prince Henrik has also NEVER said "he would like to be reborn as a dachshund in the Danish Court". It was a Danish employee in the Danish Royal Family that said that "If i believed in reincarnation, then I would like to be reborn as a Royal dog".

This just shows how naive people are, when it comes to what is reported in the press.

fromEU said:
Notice! NOTHING about eating dog in Denmark. NOTHING about eating more than once. NOTHING about liking it, just "no bothering" about it. NOTHING about "delicately sliced, lightly fried and served on a plate". Most of it is just invented by the foriegn press. Prince Henrik has also NEVER said "he would like to be reborn as a dachshund in the Danish Court". It was a Danish employee in the Danish Royal Family that said that "If i believed in reincarnation, then I would like to be reborn as a Royal dog".

This just shows how naive people are, when it comes to what is reported in the press.

you are right. we just "assumed" which was wrong I suppose. I did not hear anything about a royal dog though?

Did the Danish royal family take part in any ceremony today ??

I believe May 5th is Liberation Day in Denmark.

fromEU,

Thank you for setting the record straight. I was a bit perturbed about the fact that so many assumed that Prince Henrik still ate dog meat.

Stellad

I also read something interesting about Henrik and his beloved sausage dogs. The article said that in his next life, Henrik wants to come back as a sausage dog in the Danish royal court.
They are obviously quite pampered, but I also like Henrik's sense of humour.

lizzie said:
I also read something interesting about Henrik and his beloved sausage dogs. The article said that in his next life, Henrik wants to come back as a sausage dog in the Danish royal court.

Love that humour, nevertheless I still covered my Chi's eyes while I was reading the last of this thread.:eek: :eek: (Just in case, you understand! ;) )

lizzie said:
It's getting very hard to separate fact from fiction here. See the last two paragraphs of fromEU's post at #102 to get the real story.

I'm sorry - I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone.
It just seemed to be a sweet notion, but I should have been more careful.

The Danish Prince Consort Henrik has welcomed us into his home at Amalienborg Palace in Copenhagen.
The meeting takes place in his reception room filled with big paintings, old literature and a fire. His two royal dogs Vega and Evita are joining us in the reception room and they are relaxing in the furniture. Vega is the younger one of the dogs and was given to the Prince Consort from his sister. Evita is 8 years old and get a little destressed by Vega and had just had an operation for a bad ulcer. Both dogs are dachshunds and the Prince Henrik loves dachshunds.
The Prince Consort is patron of the Danish Kennel Club.
The Prince comments that his love for dogs comes from him growing up in the country, that made a closer relationship to dogs. Also he mentions that dogs give and give all the time so you cannot help loving them. The dogs eating bowl are handmade by the Danish Queen Margrethe. The Prince Consort that the two dogs have their own backets in the bedroom where they sleep and that they wake up at the same hour each morning and jump up in his bed 5 minutes before he gets up. The Prince Consort has also written a poem for one of his dog Asterix which was published in 2005 it was written as a thank you to his dog.

from dpa

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my one liner remark about Prince Henrik. Just for the record I think he seems like a nice and affectionate man who really cares about his dogs. I just can never resist a one liner when it presents itself!:D
Okay, I am done on this topic, I won't bring it up again I promise!

purple_platinum said:
The Danish Prince Consort Henrik has welcomed us into his home at Amalienborg Palace in Copenhagen.
Those pictures are really great, thank you for posting them p_p! The dogs are certainly very cute, and they seem to get on with their master very well! :)

lizzie said:
:D at sausage dog. i know exactly what you mean, I grew up with a sausage dog and we called it our little sausage. it felt like a sausage when you held it.

i also love prince Henrik's sense of humour which sometimes can be a little too ''academic'' for the ordinary Dane.

purple platinum, thank you so much for providing these great pictures.

it just occurs to me that one think i like about prince Henrik is the fact that he gives every new dog (and there has been many over the years) a new name.

it suggests to me that he sees them as little individuals and not just pets that can be replaced.

Queen Margrethe migth have an knee and back operation

Queen Margrethe is a long way from at the top. Hers health has that correct badly , and she can scratch several heavy events. A operation can be requisite.

Queen Margrethe aren't wet,however there's none doubt about,that her health has that correct bad just now. Several things are teasing the queen, and it is wering her out never not feeling very well. It migth end with another operation,though it is a drastically steps,is it very likely that the operation can getting the queen at her foot agiain.
The last weekend she had to cancel her trip to her cousin King Carl Gustafs birthdayparty.
It was reported that queen Margrethe had a serious cold and that was the reason for her not attending the birthdayparty,but not even a cold be able for the queen to cancel the birthdayparty...
I´t can only be the osteoarthritis in her back and in her knee that makes her cancel the birthday.
The pain in the back and knee can crop up very suddenly and it is very probably what happend the weekend at the birthday.

Source Billedebladet 3/5-06
http://www.billedbladet.dk/default.asp?Action=Details&Item=3995

Suprised to hear a London radio station mention Prince Henrik and his dog-eating comments tonight. Was tempted to phone and defend HRH but got distracted.

BeatrixFan said:
Suprised to hear a London radio station mention Prince Henrik and his dog-eating comments tonight. Was tempted to phone and defend HRH but got distracted.

I heard it as well.:mad:
Figures, the only time the British media mentions Henrik and it's something "bad" and untrue:cool:

HM the Queen visits the pope

HM Queen Margrethe II is to have a private audience with His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI on May 19. Her Majesty is in Rome, on her way to Athens I imagine, in order to open an exhibition showing Danish paintings from the 19th century.

Source: TV2 (http://kongelig.tv2.dk/article.php?id=4108696)

And tonight, Her Majesty attends a festive evening at the Opera, held in order to celebrate the canon of Danish culture.

/Lasse Pedersen

Last edited:
What exactly do they talk about? State visit?

Mainly, the Pope talks about the Catholic Church in the country of the Head of State and the Head of State can ask advice etc, like Tony Blair did when he asked Pope John Paul II about the Iraq war.

Interesting, the question is do they take the advice?:p

I know somebody who didn't...

lol. Tony Blair visited John Paul II and His Holiness told Mr B that the Iraq war was morally wrong and said that he could never support such a move. But it still happened. So, visitors to the Vatican can ask for advice and I imagine can offer some too, but it won't always be taken and that goes for both sides.

fanletizia said:
Polfoto 17-05-2006 Denmark's Queen Margrethe smiles next to her painting
She is the most down-to-earth Queen alive with a great spirit and love of life but is she a heavy smoker? Her teeth look so very appalling which is ashamed because her personality seems so fresh and alive.

Polfoto 18-05-2006 Queen Margrethe of Denmark waves as she steps in her car after inaugurating an exhibition on the 19th century Danish painters in Rome, Thursday, May 18, 2006.

More images from yahoo/reuters

Attachments

• AP807405_guest.jpg
    AP807405_guest.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 195
  • AP807406_guest.jpg
    AP807406_guest.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 178
  • AP807414_guest.jpg
    AP807414_guest.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 161
  • r1024305642.jpg
    r1024305642.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 184
  • r3783039172.jpg
    r3783039172.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 176
  • r4052481720.jpg
    r4052481720.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 174
  • r4220433443.jpg
    r4220433443.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
I really like Queen "Daisy's" daisy print dress. It is so bright and sunny. Can anyone make out if her jewelry is also daisy themed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom