Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 1: May 2003 - November 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen Margarethe & Prince Henrik

2 February
The Regent couple will inaugurate Rembrandt Exhibition, at State Museum of Art, Copenhagen, 19.30

from polfoto

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Queen Margrethe has no position in the fight with the Muslim protestors. The newspaper that published the offensive materials has the freedom of the press, and therefore the government is not responsible for anything they do.

It's difficult for many in the Muslim world to understand that separation of state and press that is relatively common in the western world. That is not a criticism, but an observation made by many of my Muslim friends who have lived in Persia(Iran) and other typically Muslim nations who have learned about this latest issue.

So, while protestors might want an apology from the Danish government, they have no right to ask it of the Queen and she has no right to give such an apology. To give such an apology might save some trade, but I believe it would be detrimental to the Danish way of government. The newspaper is able to give an apology, but I would think any government involvement should be considered offensive to the Danish people and their idea of freedom of the press from governmental intrusion/regulation.

Marengo said:
I read in todays newspaper (a dutch one) that arabic protesters are now even demanding the Queen of Denmark to apologise for the cartoons about Mohammed, published in a danish newspaper. Is this true? Of course she never will (quite rightly so), but it is disturbing to see her dragged into this discussion (though the protests against Denmark were already quite upsetting). Anyway, good luck to her and to Denmark!
It almost makes me cry when we see ignorant, unemployed arabs in the Palestinian areas burning up Dannebrog and others using it as a doormat.

I wanna see some action from Queen Margrethe.

I wanna see her explain what freedom of speech and respect of your fellow human being means.

Since the prime minister sits in the pocket of George W. Bush it's only contra-productive that he speaks to the muslims.

To me it seems many Danes have lost the essense of freedom of speech. It wasn't invented so you could offend and slander other people, it was invented to ensure that people weren't oppressed by dictators.

I hope QMII kind of disappears from sight for a while. I've been reading reports of radical Muslims demanding the death of anyone involved (and as the primary figure in Denmark, she'd be an obvious target). I doubt anyone would go that far, but it's best to be safe. Tensions are so high right now that it might be a good idea just to stay in Amalianborg for a while.

SpiffyBallerina said:
I hope QMII kind of disappears from sight for a while. I've been reading reports of radical Muslims demanding the death of anyone involved (and as the primary figure in Denmark, she'd be an obvious target). I doubt anyone would go that far, but it's best to be safe. Tensions are so high right now that it might be a good idea just to stay in Amalianborg for a while.

The Queen seems to be a strong lady and i hope she doesnt confine herself at Amalianborg for her safety. That would show fright on her part, i think she should just go about her normal duties and going out and meeting and greeting like she has been, to show she wont be intimidated.

like it or not, but the essence is that you can say and print whatever you like, which is a good thing. I do not think we should turn the situation around now. The cartoons were bad taste indeed, but the reaction of a part of the muslim world is so shocking that we should defend our right to publish whatever we want. Of course, as the father of the murdered filmmaker Theo van Gogh said: You are allowed to say it, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to!

It amazes me why 100.000's of muslims are protesting now, while on a daily basis muslims murder each other in Iraq, and you don't hear a word about that from them. That a future EU-member, Turkey, is saying that the freedom of the press should be contained worries me as well.

I don't think the Queen can do anything right now :(

It upsets and worries me as well, to see how much some islamic people hate us, the western world, especially as many of those who hate our way of living are living amongst us & I fear the worst for the future.

Daneborn said:
It almost makes me cry when we see ignorant, unemployed arabs in the Palestinian areas burning up Dannebrog and others using it as a doormat.

I wanna see some action from Queen Margrethe.

I wanna see her explain what freedom of speech and respect of your fellow human being means.

Since the prime minister sits in the pocket of George W. Bush it's only contra-productive that he speaks to the muslims.

To me it seems many Danes have lost the essense of freedom of speech. It wasn't invented so you could offend and slander other people, it was invented to ensure that people weren't oppressed by dictators.

It's time that we all took a stand. As Margrethe said, we've all been far too tolerant and lazy. And that doesn't just go for Denmark - it goes for the whole of Europe. Margrethe should exercise the right to say what she thinks - Elizabeth can't and would love to.

SpiffyBallerina said:
I hope QMII kind of disappears from sight for a while. I've been reading reports of radical Muslims demanding the death of anyone involved (and as the primary figure in Denmark, she'd be an obvious target).

Have there been public threats against the Queen or other members of the royal family?

I doubt anyone would go that far, but it's best to be safe. Tensions are so high right now that it might be a good idea just to stay in Amalianborg for a while.

Queen Margrethe does not strike me as someone who would go and hide in the face of difficulty. Not everyone in Denmark can hide, and I think it would set the wrong example if the Queen were to go and hide if her subjects might be at risk.

In the days after the March 11 attacks in London and the London bombings, the Spanish royal family and members of the British family were front and centre, confronting the hatred and anger alongside their fellow citizens. Prince Felipe and Letizia (then still a fiancee) and the Queen went and visited the victims in the hospital, and later, Prince Felipe and both of his sisters marched in a protest along with members of the government and other citizens. I realize that these two examples are different than what is taking place in Denmark, but I think they are good examples of monarchs and royal families standing alongside their fellow citizens and representing a united front, whatever the stance may be, whether it's for freedom of speech or something else.

Alexandria said:
Have there been public threats against the Queen or other members of the royal family?

"Bin Laden our beloved, Denmark must be blown up," protesters in Ramallah chanted.

An imam at the Omari Mosque in Gaza City told 9,000 worshippers that those behind them should have their heads cut off.

"If they want a war of religions, we are ready," Hassan Sharaf, an imam in Nablus, said in his sermon.

In the Indonesian capital Jakarta, more than 150 hardline Muslims stormed a high-rise building housing the Danish Embassy and tore down and burned the country's white and red flag.

In London, hundreds of demonstrators converged on Denmark's Embassy and burned the Danish flag. Women wearing headscarves chanted and held banners proclaiming: "Kill the one who insults the Prophet."

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/interactive/world/0602/gallery.muslim.protest/01.irag.gi.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/interactive/world/0602/gallery.muslim.protest/08.gaza.gi.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/interactive/world/0602/gallery.muslim.protest/04.westbank.gi.jpg

-CNN.com

So yeah, according to these radicals, QMII would seem like the best symbolic target.

May God Protect Denmark its People and their Queen (ill say no more than that)

In London, hundreds of demonstrators converged on Denmark's Embassy and burned the Danish flag. Women wearing headscarves chanted and held banners proclaiming: "Kill the one who insults the Prophet."

Don't you worry, I've been down there and told quite a few what I think of them and I know many passers by did too. I'm not Danish but it makes me so angry when I see this sort of thing.

Has the queen, at least, given a public statement regarding this matter?

Marengo said:
like it or not, but the essence is that you can say and print whatever you like, which is a good thing. I do not think we should turn the situation around now. The cartoons were bad taste indeed, but the reaction of a part of the muslim world is so shocking that we should defend our right to publish whatever we want. Of course, as the father of the murdered filmmaker Theo van Gogh said: You are allowed to say it, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to!

It amazes me why 100.000's of muslims are protesting now, while on a daily basis muslims murder each other in Iraq, and you don't hear a word about that from them. That a future EU-member, Turkey, is saying that the freedom of the press should be contained worries me as well.

It upsets and worries me as well, to see how much some islamic people hate us, the western world, especially as many of those who hate our way of living are living amongst us & I fear the worst for the future.
So true, especially the sentence I highlighted !!!

If the Danes were as extreme as some of these Muslims the Danish prime minister would be the first to shout out that the boat disaster in Saudi Arabia is Allah's punishment on the muslims for the way they treat the Danish flag.

In my opinion, it's no scientific mystery why this boat went down so fast. This is what you get when you put two ferries on top of each other and expect it to be seaworthy. Well, this is a different matter, anyway, here is a picture of that monstrous ferry: http://www.faktaomfartyg.com/al_salam_boccaccio_1970_b_1.htm

(As Muslim leaders were fast to call the storm Katrina God's punishment on the US.)

I don't think the Queen is the main target for any attacks. I think the most likely scenario is a bomb in the metro system. Everyday security in Denmark isn't the most efficient. (The royals and the government have security around them.)

I'm just thankful the baptism of Christian was 14 days ago. Can you imagine the tension if it took place today ??

Last edited:
It's a bit sad, I think, that the situation has escalated to this point. The drawings were originally from a children's book, wherein the illustrators were afraid to use their names. Jyllandsposten (the paper carrying the drawings) took some of them in to make a point on something, or another. This was in September last year.

Suddenly I heard stories about urging to boycot the festival Images of the Middle East (Prince Joachim is going to be the patron, and the festival encourages understanding of different cultures...)

And now... well... I would expect a higher security on the metro stations in Copenhagen, and possibly around Amalienborg and other royal residences. (Especially considering that the road over the palace square is open for any vehicle.) Going in to work on Wednesday might be fun. I work fairly close to Amalienborg - and with the situation being the way it is - it was no fun getting to work on Friday when I had to take the metro because I was too late to bike. I imagine Wednesday will be worse. I really hope the snow they promised won't arrive. It destroys the Danish transport system.

It should be pointed out though... burning of the Danish flag is actually the recommended method of disposing of old worn out flags, so that they aren't used to polish the silver or similar things...

Marengo said:

I don't mean to start a religion war, but I felt obligied to respond to this post.:)

First of, publishing a picture of a prophet is very offensive to many--or all-- muslims around the world. Fine, a printing or a sketch of our beloved prophet can be forgiven BUT portraying him as TERRORIST????????That is just plain ignorant! Many around the world wonder why do all Muslims feel soo offended regarding the picture. I ask you, how would you feel if a muslim jounalist published a picture of Jesus and somehow altered the cross as a bomb? How would the Vatican react then? We all also understand the "Freedom of Press" but COME ON! If Danish press has the freedom to express their opnions then we should be able to express OUR opinions. In a world where we are seen as terrorists already, our prophet is deemed a terrorist as well? That is going a little too far.The thing that aggrivates me the most is that, fine, you printed the picture once, but AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN??? I don't know if anyone remember but, when Dixie Chicks were in England one time and they commented on how they aren't pround of how Bush is from Texas as well, all hell broke loose. What happened to Freedom of Speech then?

Marengo said:

Yes she can and Yes she should. First of, she is Head of State, so it's very much her bailiwick.
She would be wise to take a page out of Beatrix of the Netherlands's book. After the van Gogh murder a few years back, Beatrix did the right thing: the next days, she used to spearhead dialogue between the various immigrant groups and the rest of her nation. She showed her face, she went to the various neighborhoods in Amsterdam to talk to people in the immigrant communities. She showed that she cared, and she did the best thing possible: give the right example, namely that respectful dialogue is the only way to go for <all> parties. A wise, noble and right thing to do for a Head of State. I have had my doubts about Beatrix in the past, but that day, boy was I proud to have such a Queen.

The LEAST Queen M could do is sth of the sort: tell everyone to cool their horses and that insulting religions of all sorts (under the excuse of freedom of speech or whatever else) is just not respectful, period.

And about those cartoons: what I don't understand is that much of 'Europe' just doesn't grok, doesn't see, how intentionally racist these cartoons were. They were intentionally published to antagonize. Never a good thing. As Tony Blair--who I typically don't fancy-- rightly pointed out: "freedom of press doesn't mean the right to insult people's religions". And rightly so. Now--burning of embassies and the like is just as idiotic, but a Danish friend of mine said that she thinks that an economic boycot is what the Danish deserve--and described her nation as 'racist and arrogant' (not my own words as I have never lived in DK, but I'm quoting a native, folks!)

So in short, Queen Margarethe, Where ARe you? Show your face, be a uniting force, DO something.

Fine, a printing or a sketch of our beloved prophet can be forgiven BUT portraying him as TERRORIST????????

Then don't look at it. Denmark is not a muslim country. It has no obligation to follow muslim tradition. It's time some people started to remember that when they start calling for Danish leaders to be killed. And don't bring the Vatican into it. How did they react when Spitting Image portrayed John Paul II as a gangster rapper? They didn't. They ignored it. Margrethe shouldn't have to make a speech or statement but if she wants to then she should.

Last edited:
princess olga said:
So in short, Queen Margarethe, Where ARe you? Show your face, be a uniting force, DO something.
Considering that it's nearing midnight in Copenhagen - what good would appearing now do?

BeatrixFan said:
Then don't look at it. Denmark is not a muslim country. It has no obligation to follow muslim tradition. It's time some people started to remember that when they start calling for Danish leaders to be killed. And don't bring the Vatican into it. How did they react when Spitting Image portrayed John Paul II as a gangster rapper? They didn't. They ignored it. Margrethe shouldn't have to make a speech or statement but if she wants to then she should.

Hear, Hear!!

Does Queen Margrethe more political power than King Juan Carlos in Spain?
Prime Minister of Denmark gave a speech about it and I think that it was enough

Laraib said:
I don't mean to start a religion war, but I felt obligied to respond to this post.:)

First of, publishing a picture of a prophet is very offensive to many--or all-- muslims around the world. Fine, a printing or a sketch of our beloved prophet can be forgiven BUT portraying him as TERRORIST????????That is just plain ignorant! Many around the world wonder why do all Muslims feel soo offended regarding the picture. I ask you, how would you feel if a muslim jounalist published a picture of Jesus and somehow altered the cross as a bomb? How would the Vatican react then? We all also understand the "Freedom of Press" but COME ON! If Danish press has the freedom to express their opnions then we should be able to express OUR opinions. In a world where we are seen as terrorists already, our prophet is deemed a terrorist as well? That is going a little too far.The thing that aggrivates me the most is that, fine, you printed the picture once, but AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN??? I don't know if anyone remember but, when Dixie Chicks were in England one time and they commented on how they aren't pround of how Bush is from Texas as well, all hell broke loose. What happened to Freedom of Speech then?

I see the cartoon was offensive, bad taste and maybe even ignorant (though the entire goal of a cartoon is to simplify things, in this case the mis-use of muslim-fundamentalists of the word of the prophet) and I understand people are hurt by it. I am not to fond of the cartoons the Arabic/European movement has published now, about Anne Frank in bed with Hitler either, it hurts me a lot, as does the burning of the Daneborg and many other things. BUT if islamic groups feel hurt they should have taken legal action and go to a Danish court of justice, instead of demolishing & burning down ambassedes, looking in hotels for people to take hostage or to threaten to kill people.

I think there is a circle movement now, It was published, groups in the islamic world showed their grieviances rather openly and violently, which caused the press here to publish the things even more as they claimed the free word was in danger (as was the case with the slaughter of Theo van Gogh), which caused more anger among muslims, etc.

BTW I highly doubt that the statement of the dixie chicks caused 100.000's americans to threaten to kill the dixie chicks, or demolish the office of the record company of the dixie chicks etc. Apart from that, what has a group from Texas to do with Denmark?

Who would be responsible for advising the Queen to make a comment or to remain silent? Would it be the Danish PM? And would anyone be involved in approving any comment the Queen might make?

And as I've learned from the What bothers you about Frederik and Mary thread, what is the feeling in Denmark regarding this situation? Do the Danes think that the cartoon was grossly inappropriate and should never have been printed or inappropriate but the right of individuals to express as they feel?

And do Danes feel that the Queen should make a public statement regarding this situation? Right after Diana died, Queen Elizabeth received a lot of public flack for not speaking up sooner publicly about Diana's passing.

In response to an earlier post: QMII can't do what QBeatrix did because the stakes are much higher. The incident in The Netherlands was relatively isolated in terms of international involvement. Denmark is now dealing with every other nation on earth either supporting it, or demanding its total destruction.

Also, I realize that the cartoons were offensive. But in Denmark and other western cultures, there is a very sophisticated way of thinking. It goes something like, "I don't support what you do, but I'll die to preserve your right to do so." The freedom of the press is a fundamental right in a democracy, and it's not up for debate. Some radical Muslims would like it to be, but it's not going to go away. Doing acts of terror (like burning down an embassy) will only make people more polarized against each other and all the more ardent about their rights to free expression.

Also, cartoon v. terror on foreign embassies. Riiiiiiight. I'm offended by constant calls to kill my president, my leaders, my fellow citizens, to wipe Denmark off the face of the earth, to have the heads of everyone involved in this exercise in free speech, but yeah - I don't get to go set fires, no matter how angry I get.

So I think this will become a matter of international relations very soon, and either action will be taken or it won't. As a pillar of light for the Danish people, I think they would be best served if QMII and her family remained safe rather than out in a very dangerous public.

princess olga said:
Yes she can and Yes she should. First of, she is Head of State, so it's very much her bailiwick.
She would be wise to take a page out of Beatrix of the Netherlands's book. After the van Gogh murder a few years back, Beatrix did the right thing: the next days, she used to spearhead dialogue between the various immigrant groups and the rest of her nation. She showed her face, she went to the various neighborhoods in Amsterdam to talk to people in the immigrant communities. She showed that she cared, and she did the best thing possible: give the right example, namely that respectful dialogue is the only way to go for <all> parties. A wise, noble and right thing to do for a Head of State. I have had my doubts about Beatrix in the past, but that day, boy was I proud to have such a Queen.

The LEAST Queen M could do is sth of the sort: tell everyone to cool their horses and that insulting religions of all sorts (under the excuse of freedom of speech or whatever else) is just not respectful, period.

And about those cartoons: what I don't understand is that much of 'Europe' just doesn't grok, doesn't see, how intentionally racist these cartoons were. They were intentionally published to antagonize. Never a good thing. As Tony Blair--who I typically don't fancy-- rightly pointed out: "freedom of press doesn't mean the right to insult people's religions". And rightly so. Now--burning of embassies and the like is just as idiotic, but a Danish friend of mine said that she thinks that an economic boycot is what the Danish deserve--and described her nation as 'racist and arrogant' (not my own words as I have never lived in DK, but I'm quoting a native, folks!)

I think that most of her countrymen would not appreciate a lecture of the Queen about THEIR values, while there are people all over the world insulting and threatening the danish, it would feel like a sort of open betrayal.

BTW In the Netherlands Queen Beatrix also faced critisism for only going to islamic minorities and NOT to the relatives of the slaughtered filmmaker Theo van Gogh or to the team of policemen who arrested the fundamentalist killer of the filmmaker etc.

Last edited:
BTW In the Netherlands Queen Beatrix also faced critisism for only going to islamic minorities and NOT to the relatives of the slaughtered filmmaker Theo van Gogh or to the team of policemen who arrested the fundamentalist killer of the filmmaker etc.

When Queen Elizabeth went to visit a gurdwara, she was asked to remove her shoes and cover her head with a scarf. People were outraged at the photographs of her wearing this ghastly shawl thing and pottering around in her socks. The problem is, that in Europe there is talk of integration, integration, integration. But neither side wants that. Immigrants, and lets be honest here - thats the group we're discussing, seem to want to force their traditions onto countries and make them protect them but the other side want their traditions protected. So what do governments do? They bring in laws that say you HAVE to integrate. This whole thing is a coiled spring and the governments are pushing down on it harder and harder, forcing people to get along - it's going to bounce back and this could well be the start of an east vs west situation.

Now, Monarchs have to do what they're told. Queen Elizabeth wouldn't dare not obey the gurdwara staff. And if Margrethe has been told to keep quiet about these cartoons then she has to follow that. For security more than anything. She seems to be attending engagements reguarly and thats what is needed at the moment - normality and routine.

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
When Queen Elizabeth went to visit a gurdwara, she was asked to remove her shoes and cover her head with a scarf. People were outraged at the photographs of her wearing this ghastly shawl thing and pottering around in her socks. The problem is, that in Europe there is talk of integration, integration, integration. But neither side wants that. Immigrants, and lets be honest here - thats the group we're discussing, seem to want to force their traditions onto countries and make them protect them but the other side want their traditions protected. So what do governments do? They bring in laws that say you HAVE to integrate. This whole thing is a coiled spring and the governments are pushing down on it harder and harder, forcing people to get along - it's going to bounce back and this could well be the start of an east vs west situation.

Now, Monarchs have to do what they're told. Queen Elizabeth wouldn't dare not obey the gurdwara staff. And if Margrethe has been told to keep quiet about these cartoons then she has to follow that. For security more than anything. She seems to be attending engagements reguarly and thats what is needed at the moment - normality and routine.

i would agree with you but HM Queen dont listen to gurdwara staff when she visit there because she is Queen of England if HM Queen Margrethe will kept quiet like HM Queen Elizabeth did that

I agree the cartoons were offensive. I fail to see that launching a jihad is an appropriate response by the middle eastern muslims. The message being broadcast to the world by the muslim demonstrations is one of social incontinence, intolerance, and ignorance. We in the USA suffered from this extreme religion and its world view when the World Trade Center and the Pentagon were attacked in 2001. Most muslim countries are very oppressive towards women....Queen MII is wise to remain silent. Having a woman make any kind of address to these people would add more fuel to the fire. And as for the Dixie Chicks reference...I live in Texas and I did not vote for Mr. Bush. However, we in the USA have a long traditiion of respecting the office while "talking stink" about the office holder.

Laraib said:
Fine, a printing or a sketch of our beloved prophet can be forgiven BUT portraying him as TERRORIST????????That is just plain ignorant! Many around the world wonder why do all Muslims feel soo offended regarding the picture. [...] I ask you, how would you feel if a muslim jounalist published a picture of Jesus and somehow altered the cross as a bomb? How would the Vatican react then? We all also understand the "Freedom of Press" but COME ON! If Danish press has the freedom to express their opnions then we should be able to express OUR opinions.

1. Cartoons exaggerate. That is their function. They should make you think. So they should make you think whether there is a connection between the Muslim faith and terrorism. You can answer yes or no to that question.
2. If a muslim journalist pulished a picture of Jesus and altered the cross as a bomb I would respect his freedom of speech. Plain and simply. The vatican wouldn't stage demonstrations or threaten to kill those people either. Most Christians wouldn't turn to violence either.
3. Sure you have the right to express your opinions. If you turn to violence, however, that is unlawful and only reinforces the criticism of Islam.

I know this is not related in any way to the topic of royalty, so feel free to remove the post. I do think, however, that I had to answer to this post.

2 February
The Regent couple will inaugurate Rembrandt Exhibition, at State Museum of Art, Copenhagen, 19.30

Attachments

• 00854219.jpg
    00854219.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 00854220.jpg
    00854220.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 00854221.jpg
    00854221.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 157
Is it me or is Her Majesty's hair getting taller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom