Princess Marie, Current Events Part 1: March 2009 - June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, Iceflower :flowers:
I guess we'll see more on TV at some point, judging from the cameras.

Interpreting the pictures it's (again) my impression that our Marie is most at ease when she is interacting with people or dogs and that she genuinely like that.
One of the things I like most about la Marie is that she has an "open face", for better or for worse what we see is how she feels at any moment.
I have the impression that attending loong meetings or listening to long speeches reeeally isn't her cup of tea, - and that shows. :lol:
. :p

We have a saying, "she is wearing her heart on her sleeve," but it means the same! I agree with you. She looks so engaged and happy here.

My mother can tell that sometimes the first Princess Marie was the first to arrive at fires... So the story went that it was she who had started the fire :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

IDK if it´s true about the firestarting, but it´s true about her being the first on the spot :)

That I think is a myth. She would have been found out quickly.

I understand she lived in the centre of Copenhagen. Marie would have been able to reach a very large part of Copenhagen within twenty minuttes, even by foot.
In the early 1900's the city was even more densely populated than now, the buildings were closer together, with the infamous second and third back yards. Fires that weren't stopped immediatly would have spread fast and have become very visible very soon after it had started.
In stark contrast to today with firewalls, sprinklers, alarms and containment doors - where often all you see is smoke.

My family told about a true horrorstory from their childhood in the 1920's, where two young girls lived in a room just beneath the roof of a building on fire. They couldn't get out and they cried out for help through the window of what must have been the fifth floor.
The new buildings were tall in the rapidly expanding cities and the firebrigades couldn't keep up. There were no fireengines with ladders going that far up.
The girls didn't dare crawl out the window onto the roof and jump. I doubt would have helped anyway. Eventually.... they stopped screaming.
That was a pretty traumatic event for a young child, who would become my grandmother.
The then very modern house of flats (there were toilets inside the flats mind you!) still stands, not far from Marseliborg in fact.

Last edited:
My mother can tell that sometimes the first Princess Marie was the first to arrive at fires... So the story went that it was she who had started the fire :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

IDK if it´s true about the firestarting, but it´s true about her being the first on the spot :)

Who was the first Marie from France in the DRF? I searched for her but didn't find a princess of that name in Denmark before "our" Marie?

That I think is a myth. She would have been found out quickly.
Sorry my facts weren´t right :whistling: I just checked with my mother and she could tell me that it was Prince Knud, who the citizens of Copenhagen thought would have started a fire.
In Gladsaxe there was a big timberstore and he was the very very very first person at the spot... But then again people talk :)

Who was the first Marie from France in the DRF? I searched for her but didn't find a princess of that name in Denmark before "our" Marie?
You can read more about Princess Marie of Orleans here in danish Prinsesse Marie af Orleans - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopædi and here in english
Princess Marie of Orléans (1865

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Bloch Skiper wrote an account of the first Marie in a Q&A in BB #29, 2009.
She was Marie of Orleans, great grandchild of King Ludvig-Phillippe.
She became a Danish princess in 1885, when she married Prince Valdemar, the youngest son of King Christian IX.
She died aged 44 in 1909.
She was a very unusual woman for her time! She had a tattoo on her upperarm. (Considering the fashion back then, that would not have remained hidden, even if she cared).
There is a picture of her, proudly posing in a somewhat unofficial firemans uniform, on which she wrote her thanks for recieving the honor of becoming an unofficial fireman.

She also had a motto, which was printed on the sheets of paper on which she wrote her official letters: "Qui gu'en grogne je m'en moque". - I'll leave it to French speaking members of this forum to translate...

But the present Marie appeared on the 19.00 news on TV2 tonight. That clip should soon be available.
The vet hospital is state of the art. It took three years to build and 130 (I believe) veterinarians should recieve their education there at any given time.
Our Marie also attempted surgery on a teddy bear, stuffed with a balloon. That requires a steady had with the scalpel! Well, the surgery may have been successful, but alas the patient did't make it.... Bang. :p

ADDED: I see that FasterB has already provided an excellent link. :flowers:
It was a very nice touch of her to attend the funeral of an eccentric - as the only one.

Last edited:
She also had a motto, which was printed on the sheets of paper on which she wrote her official letters: "Qui gu'en grogne je m'en moque". - I'll leave it to French speaking members of this forum to translate...
Here it is in danish: Hendes ordsprog var "Qui s'en grogne, je m'en moque", dvs. "Den, der gør vrøvl over det, spotter jeg "

The first French Princess Marie in Denmark was Princess Marie of Orléans (1865-1909) from the former French royal family.
She married Prince Valdemar of Denmark, the youngest son of King Christian IX in 1885. They had five children.

A gallery from BT: Prinsesse Marie var dus med dyrene | www.bt.dk

Showing among other things our Marie preparing to operate on the (now late) teddy bear.
And she appears to be smitten by some of the dogs. The last two pics show her with a dog she apparantly fell for completely.

Here it is in danish: Hendes ordsprog var "Qui s'en grogne, je m'en moque", dvs. "Den, der gør vrøvl over det, spotter jeg "

This Marie seems like a wonderful role model. The English translation would be 'fogeddaboudid' or, more formally. 'he who complains I invite to take a hike!':cool::)

Here's a video about yesterday's event:

** Prinsesse Marie indviede dyrehospital **

La Marie said initially at the pet hospital: "I'm very proud to see (learn) that Denmark has the best animal..family-pet treatment. It's very important that they have the best treatment, just like humans".

Our Marie also wittnessed a wolf having a dental treatment. I'm not sure wolves would be considered pets though.

Later on she said: "I love animals. I've always loved animals. I have two...little animals myself, at home". (*)

Petite Marie spoke with accent, but was easy to understand. She is beyond the point which all go through, where you pronounce every word very carefully. She has reached the point where she is beginning to babble away like the natives, albeit somewhat hesitant and not fully confident, which is why, I guess, she speaks lower.
She is wisely using simple words. There were no grammatical mistakes and was it me or did she speak with a slight Southern Jutlandic accent? It certainly wasn't a Copenhagener accent to me.
That should make things easier for those among you who study Danish, as I've been told several times that Southern Jutlandic Dansih is easier to understand.

(*) Marie! You shouldn't talk about Joachim and bette Henrik like that! - Sorry, too tempting. :p

(*) Marie! You shouldn't talk about Joachim and bette Henrik like that! - Sorry, too tempting. :p

No surprise that you couldn't resist, Muhler :D:D And thanks for the video translation! :flowers:

What other animal do they have beside Marie's little dog, right now I can't remember any other?!

Here's an additional article from Billed-Bladet with great pics:

** Prinsesse Marie blev blød som smør **

Isn´t it the dog made of genes from Countess Alexandra´s dog?

I can´t remember the name right now

That's right. :)

They have a dog named Winston and a white quadroped of some sort...

You mean Oscar :) He was Alexandra's dog, and IIRC some of his sperm was frozen before he died, and Winston is one of his offsprings :)

You mean Oscar :) He was Alexandra's dog, and IIRC some of his sperm was frozen before he died, and Winston is one of his offsprings :)
Oscar I could remember, but not Winston :flowers:

La Marie said initially at the pet hospital: "I'm very proud to see (learn) that Denmark has the best animal..family-pet treatment. It's very important that they have the best treatment, just like humans".

Our Marie also wittnessed a wolf having a dental treatment. I'm not sure wolves would be considered pets though.

Later on she said: "I love animals. I've always loved animals. I have two...little animals myself, at home". (*)

Petite Marie spoke with accent, but was easy to understand. She is beyond the point which all go through, where you pronounce every word very carefully. She has reached the point where she is beginning to babble away like the natives, albeit somewhat hesitant and not fully confident, which is why, I guess, she speaks lower.
She is wisely using simple words. There were no grammatical mistakes and was it me or did she speak with a slight Southern Jutlandic accent? It certainly wasn't a Copenhagener accent to me.
That should make things easier for those among you who study Danish, as I've been told several times that Southern Jutlandic Dansih is easier to understand.

Thank you for the translation. Marie looks her best during spontaneous moments because it allows people to get a glimpse of her personality. For example: the balloon incident seems to have caught her off guard but it was a good moment for her. I hope that in the future she tries to present a more natural side as I feel that Marie is still trying to be what she thinks people want of her rather than who she really is.

Her speaking and her translating appear to be coming along as I see less "blank stares" from Marie every time I see the events she attends.

Another very quiet week in BB, apart from a story about QMII handing out a watch to a member of the now relieved guards battalion on duty, it's all about our Marie and her family.
There are no news at all about M&F.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #12, 2011.
Marie gik stuegang - Marie on ward round.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

As you know la Marie visited the new and very modern veterinary hospital for family pets in Copenhagen recently.
After having cut the mandatory ribbin it was time for a tour of the ward.
Among them a (prudently) sedated wolf with toothache.
A dachshund named Ziggy, who had been run over by a car. The very sympathetic Princess learned that the dog had been lucky, only a broken leg.
Then she encountered two New Foundlander puppies, named Millie and Elektra who completely melted belle Marie's heart: "Oh, how sweet they are".

Petite Marie also tried to practise her skills at performing surgery on a presumably critically ill teddy bear.
- The bear was stuffed with a ballon and the purpose of the exercise was to cut through the skin without penetrating the membrane around the internal organs. Bang!
Marie exclaimed: "Sorry, it's my first day as a vet".

ADDED: Keen eyed observers will notice the polar bear Marie wore in a long chain around her neck.

Last edited:
Another very quiet week in BB, apart from a story about QMII handing out a watch to a member of the now relieved guards battalion on duty, it's all about our Marie and her family.
There are no news at all about M&F.

Marie seems to have a lovely sense of humor.

Princess Marie has opened the new air route between Billund and Paris at the
Billund Airport Passenger Terminal 10, Billund, today, March 27, 2011.

** Pic ** Kongeligt klip indviede flyrute mellem Billund og Paris ** translation **

Thank you. :flowers:

Billund Airport is located in south central Jutland and is the second major airport in DK after Copenhagen.
The airport is expanding and would very much like to be even more dominant in western Denmark.

Here is another pic from TV2: Prinsesse Marie indviede ny flyrute - TV SYD - TVSyd - Nyheder - Lokal - Billund
I suggest you keep an eye on this link: TV 2/Regionernes netTV
And look out for more news from TV SYD, that's the regional TV which cover Billund. They may have a clip in a few hours.

ADDED: And wouldn't you know. We have a nice gallery from the local section of Jydske Vestkysten: JV.dk - Nyheder - Billund - Prinsesse Marie klippede snoren i Billund Airport
ADDED AGAIN:
There are captions to the pics in the gallery above and they provide a picture of the event. And the journalist who covered the event is very positive towards our Marie!
Pic #1: Marie was recieved by the manager of the airport.
#2: The mandatory flowergirl in the shape of seven year old Caitlin.
#4: La Marie was pretty busy, not only should she cut a ribbon, she also had to ring a bell and cut a cake.
#5: The fair Marie had been carefully instructed not to ring the bell twice! Only once, or she'd had to buy drinks for all present.
#6: Princess Marie is praised by the reporter.
#8: Present were also the ambassador to France, whom our Marie had a chat with.
#10: The cake. - With the Eiffel tower, which Marie had to slice.
#11: There were 70 guests present.
- It's, to put it mildly, not the first time that Marie, and her Joachim too, get a very favourable press in this Southern Jutlandic newspaper. J&M are after all their royals. ;)

Last edited:

Billund Airport is located in south central Jutland and is the second major airport in DK after Copenhagen.
The airport is expanding and would very much like to be even more dominant in western Denmark.

(...)s

Thanks for all the links and information. I was going to say congrats to Marie for getting good press but then you added the last bit about the bias press so I will save that until I see the video. Though I will add the she does a lot of stuff with France but that could just be her niche in the family. After all Mary does do stuff for Australia so it is fair.

This seemed more like a fun event than a very official one. Marie looked quite relaxed and everyone looked happy & not bored :)

Princess Marie opens new air route between Billund and Paris in Billund Airport.
March 27, 2011

PPE Agency Princess

Last edited:
Last edited:

(...)

Thanks, Muhler. Wonder why she was instructed not to ring the bell twice and what the significance of that is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom