Princess Benedikte and Prince Richard, Current Events 2: September 2005 - March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

Benedikte recently went to another horse show on the island of Funen recently and here he talked about her youngest grandchild to BB's reporter Dorthe Quist.

She said about five months old Louisa: "She's gaining weight well and has gotten big cheeks.
I see her often. We do after all live close by. It's a lovely child. She hasn't yet been in the water, but perhaps she will on Mallorca (Spain). It's certainly very hot, I've been told".

A very illustrating video from BB of Princess Benedikte visiting the German/Scandinavian school in Berlin: Prinsesse Benedikte imponeret af skole i Berlin | billedbladet.dk

The school is special in the sense that German, Swedish, Norwegian and Danish is taught and used among the pupils and in the lessons - at the same time!
That happens from the very youngest classes and up.

In the video we hear the children sing a Danish song with flawless pronunciation, despite the fact that only some of them are Danes.
I know the song well, from my own time in school and I'd say it's by no means the easiest lyrics to learn for non-Danish speakers!

Benedikte who can effortlessly switch between Danish, German and Swedish was very impressed.

(I'm certain FasterB is also more than familiar with that song. :))

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #39, 2015.
Written by our man in Berlin Henrik Salling.

As you know Princess Benedikte visited the DSG school in Berlin (Deutch-Scandinavische Geminschaftsschule), where she for once was met by a little flowerboy.
The school is three years old and started out with 27 pupils but has now grown to 150 pupils, who are taught in classes encompassing three age groups, i.e. 1-3 classes in one class 4-6 class in another class and so on.
On a daily basis in the classes the teacher and pupils speak Swedish, Danish and Norwegian - that is when they don't switch to English, German or Spanish.
That wasn't a problem for Benedikte who speaks certainly four languages, probably five.

She was pretty impressed and delighted with the energy that permeated through the school and said afterwards: "As a child I learned to speak Danish and it was cozy to speak that today. Swedish is such a beautiful language. More beautiful actually than Danish (*). I'm not afraid of saying that".

She also liked the concept of allowing the pupils themselves to decide what they want to study when they come to school in the morning.

Benedikte also visited the Berliner Philharmonie, where the 150th anniversary of the Danish composer Carl Nielsen (**) is celebrated with performances by the Danish Royal Chapel, a rare treat.
This was Benedikte's first visit to the concert hall and she enjoyed it. Her father Frederik IX was a pretty accomplished conductor in his own right, so she has grown up with classical music.

(*) Swedish is indeed more beautiful than Danish. And if you think Danish and Swedish are more or less variants of the same dialect, you are wrong. That was true some 500 years ago, but no longer. Swedish and Danish is now pretty different, I'd say akin to Portuguese and Spanish. Oddly enough I find southern Swedish more difficult to understand than Stockholm-Swedish. Despite the fact that southern Sweden is ancient Danish land.

(**) This is probably the most well known of Carl Nielsen's pieces, The Fog is Lifting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yCOKCACRqU

Last edited by a moderator:
(I'm certain FasterB is also more than familiar with that song. :))
I haven´t seen the video yet, but let me guess: Is it "I østen stiger solen op"? :whistling:

EDIT: I have now seen the video and it was not "I østen stiger solen op", but a very sweet children song "Jeg ved en lærkerede" (I know a lark´s nest) :)

Princess Benedikte had two engagements in Germany today, October 5.

She visited the Danish A. P. Møller school in Schleswig

** Pic ** shz.de gallery: Königlicher Besuch an der A.P.-Møller-Schule **

and attended the celebrations marking the 350th anniversary of the University in Kiel:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** shz.de: 350 Jahre Kieler Universität: So feierte die CAU Geburtstag ** translation **

** ndr.de article and gallery: Kieler Uni erhält viel Lob zum 350. Geburtstag ** translation **

Princess Benedikte of Denmark (L) and the Baden-Wuerttemberg Economics and Finance minister Nils Schmid (R) attend at the opening ceremony of the Caravan Motor Touristik (CMT) exhibition in Stuttgart, (Baden-Wuerttemberg), Germany, 16 January 2016. The CMT exhibition runs from 16 to 24 January.

ANP picture

Prinsesse Benedikte havde kongeligt besøg fra Malaysia. | BILLED-BLADET

Benedikte has for many years been heavily involved in the (girl) scout movement. That includes the Olave Badeb-Powell Society. And in that capacity she had a visit by a colleague from Malaysia, Crown Princess Azizah.
Both women know each other very well and seem to have a good mutual rapport, while being taken for a tour of Rosenborg (where the crown jewels are displayed, Crown Princess Azizah said about Benedikte: "She's my boss and I do what's being said. We've met many times all over the world".

Later on the two ladies had luch with QMII at Fredensborg.

Last edited:
I had never heard of a swallow's nest organ. It's quite high up in the church I presume. How wonderful that it's been restored and will be used again. :flowers:

The church has been restored. The swallow´s nest organ is a new instrument. The "Swallow´s nest organ comitee" started 25 years ago to collect money to build the organ because the organ player Christian K. Larsen (the one in the video) had learned that there used to be such an instrument in the church. I can recall his "christmas light in the eyes" when he talked about how wonderful it would be to play on that organ. That was in 1986-88´ish. He used to rehearse in my father´s church ;)

You can see the new organ in this photo. It´s up to the right :)

http://sn.dk/modules/xphoto/cache/37/754337_930_9300_26_0_1521_1051_2.jpg

Just for comparision, this is Sct. Peder´s Church before:
http://www.grundejerforeningentaarnborg.dk/næstved/PICT0044_næstved_skt_peders_kirke_interiør.jpg

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you for those pictures - the church is lovely. So is the new organ the only one in the church, or do they have another one? If not, what happened to the old one? Moeller pipe organs originated in Denmark, I believe.

I have watched the YouTube video of V & J's christening several times, just to hear the music. That organist is very good - and I love the Gaelic Blessing by John Rutter that the choir sings. :flowers:

They have the "main organ" above the entrance door.
You can see a 3D photo of the church here: http://anhaltdesign.dk/360fotos/sct_peders_kirke_naestved/sct_peders_kirke_naestved.htm

The "swallow´s nest organ" is placed to the right of the altar (when you´re looking at the altar) just right after the large window. This 3D is taken before the restoration :)

Here is a little photo of the restored main organ: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...3fb84g10QcL8HjZ3xcagioDBMZeHGYV_Qmpnp4eUsLIN3

The main organ was restored and the "Swallow´s nest organ" is new :)

The christening of the twins: Yes, Jakob Stevns-Lorentzen is a fantastic organ player. I always enjoy when I´m singing in Holmens Church and he´s at the organ. He makes it so easy to sing -well, it doesn´t hurt that the other singers are operasingers ;) John Rutter - a heavenly blessed composer. Have you heard "God be in my head"?

Last edited:
Thank you for the wonderful pictures and the explanation of the organs. What a beautiful church!

Yes, I have heard the Rutter ''God be in my head'' - it's exquisite. Maybe you and I should check into private messaging. We seem to have a lot in common.:flowers:

It´s such a beautiful church and the restoration has improved the church a lot. Before the restoration the church was quite dark/dull and now the church is light and welcoming :)

Yes, let´s check into private messaging :)

EDIT: I can´t send you a PM. Please PM me, MidwestMom :)

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #15, 2016.
Written by Maria Rode Olsen.

Recently Princess Benedikte went to the town of Næstved to inaugurate a new swallows-nest organ in Saint Peder Church.
The church was packed when the new organ was presented. The organ is a reproduction of a similar organ that was located in the same church some 500 years ago.

It took 22 years to organize the reproduction and gather the funds necessary, all of which have been donated by companies, foundations or private individuals. One of the foundations was King Frederik and Queen Ingrid's Foundation, and here Benedikte entered the scene.
The building of the organ started in 2013 and the church itself has also undergone restoration.

Benedikte said afterwards: "It was beautiful. Rarely beautiful I'd say. The tone and the whole decoration was very impressive.
I hope the many hundred of thousands of churchgoers will look forward for this for many, many years".

- It is indeed a beautiful church and a beautiful organ and there is a good photo of the organ in the article which you can see later in the J&M thread.

And as always Benedikte is quietly being busy appearing here, there and everywhere: Prinsesse Benediktes magiske eftermiddag | BILLED-BLADET

Here for the Association against Eating Disorders and Self-inflicted injuries (i.e. cutters).

She also recently opened an exhibition about Faberge-eggs in Kolding, which I'm going to see.
On a picture somewhere I saw Princess Elisabeth was there too, being pushed around in a wheelchair. She's getting older...

Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

Cute pic with the two children. No wonder the photographer couldn't resist.

HRH Princess Benedikte participated Thursday, May 19, 2016 in Scout Committee's visit to the Youth Lake in the Sound. Youth Lake will serve as an activity center at the former Middelgrund Fort.
Besøg på Ungdomsøen | Kongehuset

pretty cool place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom