Princess Benedikte and Prince Richard, Current Events 2: September 2005 - March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How's possible the Sayn Berleburgs are not in Greece for the wedding?

Princess Benedikte has to represent Queen Margrethe as regent, so
she can't attend. Normally Prince Frederik or Prince Joachim could
have done that, but they aren't in Denmark either. Her daughter
Princess Alexandra zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and husband
Count Jefferson von Pfeil are present at the wedding.

Summary of an interview in Billed Bladet #34, 2010.
Jeg har et barn i Afrika - I have a child in Africa.
Interviewer: Annelise Weimann.

Princess Benedikte is patron for the organisation SOS Børnebyerne. The organisations runs a number of orphanages in Africa and donors can opt to support the organisation as a whole or sponsor a specific child, who will write to you regularly so that you can follow the progress of the child. Some even go visit the child.

Benedikte also sponsor a child, in Francistown in Botswana. She opened an orphanage there a few years ago and decided to sponsor a child. She has however opted not to know the indentity of the child.
Benedikte's children have also sponsored a child each.

The next project is to open an orphanage in Burundi. An orphanage consists of six or seven children living together with a "mother", thereby having a sort of family.
The children attend school or kindergarten with other local children and learn to integrate and interact with other children. (*)

Benedikte considers her job as a royal patron to put focus on SOS and to help opening doors.
Benedikte has been patron for fifteen years and she chose SOS because: "It's a relatively small but efficient organisation, which hasn't got a big administration. And it has avoided unfortunate or incrimination situations". (**)

Benedikte is also patron of an association for anorexia sufferes and she recently read a book about the subject which made an impression on her: "...it gave me an insight into how these unhappy girls feel. Some of them become violent towards themselves and start to cut themselves. You really have to be far out to do that. I think it's a contemporary problem, I don't believe it took place when I went to school".

(*) The children are naturally most often shy and reserved and in many cases they come from different parts of the country with a different dialect or even language.

(**) Like: Are there even any children? Are there any orphanages? If there are, are they recieving any money? Other organisations have had to answer these questions, without being able to come up with replies.

Here's the short internet article about it:

** Benedikte har et barn i Afrika **

"It is a lovely home with a lovely atmosphere (..) I was very fascinated by
the place and have signed a sponsorship. I am godmother to the entire SOS
Children's town, so I do not know what specific child I support, but one can
say that I have a child in Africa", Princess Benedikte said to Billed-Bladet.

Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece visited the re-opening
of the Queen Anne-Marie Center for the Elderly in Copenhagen, September
1, 2010. Great to see them attending such an official engagement together!

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

This is really nice. Thanks for the pictures iceflower! I don't recall seeing them together in an engagement for a long time!

Thanks iceflower.
Lovely photos, I like both outfits the ladies look so elegant.

Princess Benedikte has received children from Greenland at Amalienborg Palace,
September 26, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** ppe gallery **

Yesterday, October 4, Princess Benedikte attended the 70th birthday of
the rowing club Gefion in Copenhagen and baptized one of the new boats.

The following article from Billed-Bladet includes some pics of the event:

** Billedserie: Prinsesse Benedikte døbte robåd **

Princess Benedikte has attended a conference entitled 'Changing Diabetes' in
Budapest, Hungary, 11 November 2010. Benedikte is Patron of the World
Diabetes Foundation.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery **

Princess Benedikte as patron attended a Christmas concert of the Copenhagen
Girls' Choir at the Helligaandskirken in Copenhagen on December 14, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** ppe gallery **

Goodness I am slow at catching up on things. Loved seeing these pics. Princess Benedikte is a favourite of mine, I have deep respect for her. She does a wonderful job supporting her sister and looking after her own causes. I love the fact she and Prince Richard & the other family members get out and about with the locals and help spread the yuletide cheer and greetings.

Last Friday, April 15, Princess Benedikte has visited the company Rahbekfisk in
Fredericia, eastern Jutland. The company is one of the leading European
manufacturers of frozen convenience food products.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #19, 2011.
På arbejde for Danmark - On the job for Denmark
Written by Annelise Weimann.
https://picasaweb.google.com/billedbladet/PrinsesseBenedikteBesGerBreelteparken#

Princess Benedikte has again been busy lately. She is one of the hardest working members of the DRF. But being a secondary royal she doesn't get that much attention.

She usually spend one or two weeks in DK each month. In fact her staff, i.e. driver, cook and maid, have by then worked so many extra hours that they are off work until Princess Benedikte returns to DK. So she's a busy lady!

Lately she has been five days in Rwanda visiting projects for orphans. Upon returning home she inaugurated a number of new aditions to a care centre for elderly in Hørsholm. The same day she attended the celebrations in connection with Susanne Heering stepping down as chairman for the Association for Bulimia.

Princess Benedikte recieve about 1.000.000 DKK a year in apanage, for which she has to pay all expences.

- And this concludes this weeks coverage of the DRF in BB.

Last edited:
Thanks for the translation, it doesn't seem she is one of the hardest working royals in the family as she hardly gets any attention which is a pity IMO. Where does she spend when she is in Denmark?

Thanks for the translation, it doesn't seem she is one of the hardest working royals in the family as she hardly gets any attention which is a pity IMO. Where does she spend when she is in Denmark?

You are welcome.

She has an apartment at Amalienborg.

forgive me if i'm being stupid, i thought the Princess lived in germany? But she seems to pop up all the time in Denmark. Where does she spend most of her time and have her "main home"?

She does live in Berleburg :) But she still has engagements in Denmark and so she is spending part of her time there. As she doesn't usually have engagements in Germany, there isn't much coverage of her, and it is hard to tell where she spends the majority of her time :)

Do any of her children have jobs?They don't do any royal duties(I think)so I asume they do.

:previous:

We mainly know about Princess Nathalie. She's a show-jumper and breeder.

Yesterday, September 29, Princess Benedikte received children from Greenland and the Gentofte
municipality at Christian VIII's Palace in Amalienborg.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** sn.dk gallery ** ppe gallery **

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #41, 2011.
Hjertevarm gave til Benedikte - Heartfelt present for Benedikte.
Written by Anna Johannesen.

Princess Benedikte was visited recently at Amalienborg by two classes of 6th graders from the municipality of Sermersooq in eastern Greenland. 35 in total.
Now, we are mostly familiar with western Greenland, but there are actually a few thousand Greenlanders living along the south eastern cost as well.

I understand they are very different from Greenlanders, well, they were say a hundred years ago. The language is different and the culture is somewhat different as well. The traditional costume for women ahd girls certainly is.
Instead of the reddish, multi-patterned costume of the west, the eastern costume is lighter and white, with red pipings. With a necklace of beads and a string around the head, with beads hanging down across the forehead. The hair is not hanging loose, but is tied in a knot on top of the head. - Imagine how different Mary and our Marie would look in this costume.

Anyway, sporting a pair of earrings made form narhwal tusk, Benedikte recieved the children in Christian VIII's mansion. And here Justine and Mati, aged eleven presented her with a present in the shape of a pair of earrings and an ornament shaped like a traditional wife-knife (*) to wear around the neck. All made from the horn of a moscus ox.

Now 35 children means life! Activity, chatting and what not. Especially when treated with candy and juice! They also happened to visit DK during a warm Indian Summer, so Benedikte asked for the doors to the balcony to be openen, and added: "But you really have to promise me that you don't step out on the balcony".

In her speech, she said to the children: "Thank you, for coming to visit me. I've been looking forward to that for a whole year and I hope you'll take back with you, many good and positive memories and that you treasure those friendships you have made down here. That can be of big significance to you, when you have grown up".

Benedikte hasn't been in Greenland: "- for I don't know how many years. The last time was in Angmagsalik and that was a big experience".

The children are spending a month in DK, where they among other things caught crabs, visited a farm, been to a public swimming pool (**) and gone with scouts to the woods (***). To that comes what the host families had arranged.
One of the girls said: "But now I really look forward to going home". She had bought a pair of earrings for her mother and a waterflask for her kid-brother.

The visit ended with the children singing for Princess Benedikte.

(*) Men were hunters, the women stayed at home in the hamlets. As such their work was very different, so they naturally used different tools, hence a wife-knife. - Incidentally made from bone at least until a couple of hundred years ago. Bone doesn't break in the intense cold.

(**) Swimming pools, let alone public baths are non-existing in eastern Greenland. The population simply isn't big enough.

(***) Trees in Eastern Greenland? No, so a forest is very much a novel experience for most of them. So are cities. The largest town in Greenland, Nuuk, has about 16.000-20.000 inhabitants. That would make it a small town in DK.
There are probably more inhabitans living in the large village where I live, than in the entire eastern Greenland.

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #41, 2011.
Hjertevarm gave til Benedikte - Heartfelt present for Benedikte.
Written by Anna Johannesen.
And all these children was visiting Gentofte Municipality.
Last year my nephew was lucky to "get a Greenlander" staying in a month. It was a really wonderful experience :) Especiallly because my nephew (and all the other childen who had a greenlander) visited Tarsilaq in the spring.

So this is something that is going on every year: In the autumn the greenlanders comes to DK and in spring the danes go to Greenland :)

:previous:
Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #48, 2011.
Lækkersulten - Craving for the sweet tooth (*)
Written by Casper Nielsen.

Indeed Benedikte went to a Christmas fair in Gustavskirken (church) recently. And they can't blame her if they didn't create a surplus!
She bought (hang on):
Chocolate-cones, (**)
Christmas ham,
warm-smoked salmon,
konfetti (a particular cube shaped kind of sweets),
Christmas-postcards,
two wooden nisser/pixies for the Christmas tree,
two candy canes (bolsjestænger 6264355 these are homemade, as you can tell)
not to mention that she looked hungrily at a cardigan in grandson-size.

She said: "It's always a nostalgic pleasure to come here at the bazar, because Christmas is something we can all gather around. - We are going to celebrate Christmas at Berleburg".

(*) Help! I need a word from you English speakers out there. Lækkersulten = When you feel a desire for sweets, cookies, chips, to go raid the fridge and other things you really shouldn't eat, because you are not really hungry.
- Lækkersulten is a very common word, so a translation would be most handy. Directly translated it means delicious-hungry.

(**) Ordinary cones (kræmmerhus) for decoration: http://www.fotoagent.dk/single_picture/11172/25/large/20273_-_722.JPG
More grand looking cones: http://www.lanterneshoppen.dk/Images/Produkter/1521-Kr%C3%A6mmerhus.jpg
Homemade cones: http://at-skabe-er-at-leve.dk/wp-content/nalefiltet-krc3a6mmerhuse.jpg
A simple variant of cones with chocolate buns: http://www.bisca.dk/Files/Billeder/Ecom/tips/tip-krammerhus-paa-flodebolle.jpg
- I know all about Christmas decorations! Mrs. Muhler has (traditionally) gone completely berserk this past week. Me and our dog didn't dare to remain still for more than a few minuttes at a time for fear of ending up being decorated as well! :reindeer::ermm:

Last edited:
Let me add that Gustavskirken is the Swedish Church in Copenhagen :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom