Princess Alexandra, Current Events 3: April 2006 - March 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Larzen said:
I personally think it would be more elegant of her to get a fulltime job in UNICEF or the red cross, Danish industri or something like that and withdraw from the Princess duties. Just my oppinion.

I couldn´t agree more with your post, Larzen. I fear, we will get in the future more Royal divorces. And I´m pretty sure, none of the divorced Ex-princesses would get totally independent or would even go so far to say "no" to all kind of money and jewels, she would get from her ex-hubby. So maybe one can´t blame Alexandra, but it´s though ironic, that she who was always known as the independent hard working career woman, doesn´t go for more independence. :rolleyes:
Well, as it seems one gets addicted to attention, going with the Royal status, as other ppl get addicted to cigarettes...

royal watcher said:
So Joachim (ugh, yuck), continues on as "prince by birth", which sadly is what he is, but Alexandra, although possessing true royal character is now considered more properly employed with a charity organization. I guess the de-princessing of Alexandra is complete, and in record time.
Fristly I do not agree with the "ugh, yuck" part:) secondly true royal character what is that? Make an appeance twice a week in a nice conservative suit and smile nicely for the cameras, and have an appropriatly nicely concerned face? Its all just sooo nice;) Or we can look out in Europe to some royals (by birth or marriage) who have a long trackrecord, of extramarital affairs, cheating, drinking, dubios economic dealings, takeing advantage fo the position etc etc. Maybe that is true royal character as well?

Thirdly Alexandra is currently sharing her (and her sons) life with a man who left his pregnant, very young, girlfriend and let another man take care of his daughter who he still refuses to see, whilst at the same time he as no problem beeing spare-daddy to Joachims sons. True royal character as well maybe?
royal watcher said:
I also notice a common theme with Princess Diana and Princess Alexandra--their works were considered altruistic when they had royal status, but as soon as that status was gone, they weren't so great, they were just good at manipulating the press. I really don't know why anyone bothers doing good works if this is how it all ends up
Only people who dont know what altruistic means would conisder their work altruistic, I dont say they did (and do) not have good intentions and dont care, but I think it is more than clear that they also gain personally from it (it goes for all royals not just Alexandra and Diana btw, royals are not Mother Theresa reincarnated even if one could belive it reading certain magazines)

Actually I had not thought about the Diana-Alexandra comparrison but it is a good one IMO.:)

princess olga said:
Thing with the job as princess-consort is, you divorce? Fine, but it's akin to quitting your job. That's what it is.
Because as a princess who wasn't born as one, without the royal family formally attached any longer, what you then are is on par with a commoner socialite
I agree completely, the only difference is that she is still the mother of the two Princes who is inline for the throne (albeit their posision is getting more and more theoretical after Frederik had a son) and has a natural part in the upbringing of them which will happen witin the "royal scene" Im not saying that she should go away or disappear completely but I think a more downplayed role would be better, especially if Joachim remarries.

Last edited:
How do we know she doesn´t try to get a "real" job?
Maybe she´s tried, but no one wants to employ someone who´s not been working for 10 years (through no fault of hers), or maybe she doesn´t have permission from RF to work, because of protocol....
I would have thought that as many of you are women, you would know yourself that women usually have it harder in divorces, in the job market, indeed in the world. So to knock Alex, especially when we don´t know the facts, is really unjustified. Suddenly Joachim is a "born" prince, and Alex only a "married-into-royalty" princess, so kick her in the butt...
I wonder how you would feel if you were Alex?

Xandra said:
Suddenly Joachim is a "born" prince, and Alex only a "married-into-royalty" princess, so kick her in the butt...
I wonder how you would feel if you were Alex?

I am happy to see your support of Princess Alexandra. I was beginning to think she had none left. What happened? I think we need to look within ourselves to answer that question.

Larzen said:
true royal character what is that? Make an appeance twice a week in a nice conservative suit and smile nicely for the cameras, and have an appropriatly nicely concerned face?

Not everyone can pull this off, some royals are too lazy to show up to anything twice a week, some look bored, and some look phony. And this is after all, what they do, and their appearances are important to the people they visit, you can see this by the expressions on the faces of the people in the pictures. If you don't buy into this, why follow royalty at all?

Larzen said:
Or we can look out in Europe to some royals (by birth or marriage) who have a long trackrecord, of extramarital affairs, cheating, drinking, dubios economic dealings, takeing advantage fo the position etc etc. Maybe that is true royal character as well?

Did I say that it was? On the contrary, that's exactly my point, that Princess Alexandra, like my other favorite Princess Mathilde, conducts herself like a true princess, or did during her marriage.

Larzen said:
Thirdly Alexandra is currently sharing her (and her sons) life with a man who left his pregnant, very young, girlfriend and let another man take care of his daughter who he still refuses to see, whilst at the same time he as no problem beeing spare-daddy to Joachims sons. True royal character as well maybe?

Ok, this is an area where I concede weakness. I am disappointed in Princess Alexandra when it comes to her boyfriend. First of all, just the idea that she has a "boyfriend" kind of takes her off the royal pedestal. Although I had never heard about his girlfriend/child, I don't like the idea that they live together. I believe that Princess Alexandra had a right to seek happiness with another man, but there's so much about this situation that is unseemly (he is so much younger, they live together or did, the relationship happened so soon after the breakup with Joachim, etc.). I think Princess Alexandra did herself an uncharacteristic disservice with this relationship, but I am not willing to retroactively downgrade her performance as princess as a result.

Larzen said:
Only people who dont know what altruistic means would conisder their work altruistic, I dont say they did (and do) not have good intentions and dont care, but I think it is more than clear that they also gain personally from it (it goes for all royals not just Alexandra and Diana btw, royals are not Mother Theresa reincarnated even if one could belive it reading certain magazines)

Altruistic may be a strong word (by the way, I do know what it means), but I think it is safe to say that Princess Alexandra and the other princesses do dabble in the helping professions. I don't think they think of themselves as altruistic (my word, don't forget), but I do think they believe they are helping in some way.

Larzen said:
the only difference is that she is still the mother of the two Princes who is inline for the throne (albeit their posision is getting more and more theoretical after Frederik had a son) and has a natural part in the upbringing of them

Ah, thank god for motherhood, without that women would have nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
royalwacher said:
Did I say that it was? On the contrary, that's exactly my point, that Princess Alexandra, like my other favorite Princess Mathilde, conducts herself like a true princess, or did during her marriage.
But what is a true Princess, Is it someone like Anne who often looks grumpy and datet, but still works her fingers to the ground, is it somone who keeps up a picture perfect public appearance, and what about people like Juan Carlos, now he will never be nominated for a husband of the year award but that does not make him anyless "perfect" as King. Is the idea that only those who lives and present themselves perfectly *in public* are more true royals than those who have flaws?
Ok, this is an area where I concede weakness. I am disappointed in Princess Alexandra when it comes to her boyfriend. First of all, just the idea that she has a "boyfriend" kind of takes her off the royal pedestal.
Why, she is still young and attractive, it was to be expected she found someone.
Although I had never heard about his girlfriend/child, I don't like the idea that they live together.
Yes there are plenty of more details on Martin that the more sleazy of the the danish tabloids has dug up which does not put him in a favourable light
I believe that Princess Alexandra had a right to seek happiness with another man,
Agreed
but there's so much about this situation that is unseemly (he is so much younger, they live together or did, the relationship happened so soon after the breakup with Joachim, etc.).
If she found a man that was 15 years older noone would bat an eyelid.
Altruistic may be a strong word (by the way, I do know what it means),
I know you know what it means:) but just becasue the press likes to portray them as altruistic creature with angel-wings does not mean that the normal thinking people belive it.
but I think it is safe to say that Princess Alexandra and the other princesses do dabble in the helping professions. I don't think they think of themselves as altruistic (my word, don't forget), but I do think they believe they are helping in some way.
I do agree, but I think that sometimes alterior motives shines trough quite clearly
Ah, thank god for motherhood, without that women would have nothing
ofcourse not, she has everything she had before Joachim married her, education,she is smart, wordly etc, and since that she has learnt and travelled much, if she wanted a real job in Denmark Im sure she would get one wherever she wanted, as she is still well liked and respected. But that does not change the fact that she is no longer in the core royal family and the interest in her in the press and papers are much less now. And I belive if Joachim marries it will be even less. It is natural.

Before the divorce Alexandra was portrayed as the busy bee, whilst Joachim was the lazy party Prince, he has a farm to run as well as doing royal duties but he does not get much credit, nor does his father. Life is not always fair in royal-land. Attention comes and goes.

Waitasec. I don't think we are trying to bash Alexandra.

My point of view regarding her situation is this:

She may currently enjoy the spotlight still, but when Joachim remarries someone with equal charisma, Alexandra will be de facto deranged to playing THIRD fiddle (after Mary and Mrs. Joachim the new one) on a very small royal playing ground, by which I mean, Denmark. Denmark is a tiny nation.
Alexandra is a talented, smart, charismatic woman of the world. Wouldn't she be much better off with a place in the spotlight on the world stage, for example as president (not figurehead) of a department of some humanitarian organization of sorts?
She'd get more personal satisfaction out of it AND more media coverage, if the latter means anything. That way she would be giving ANY Danish princess a run for their money in my opinion.

Better than keeping showing up yet again for even t x, y or z in Denmark and seeing that turf eaten away as Joachim moves on with someone else. Besides, Alexandra has now been there, done that as far as playing the princess in Denmark is concerned. She's so international, the world has more to offer her than this, and she the world.

By the way, Larzen, I've never heard about Martin's ex girlfriend and her pregnancy, is this true? Admittedly I'm not in the loop enough and I can't read Danish..please fill us in on this one. How old is Martin's daughter and was he two-timing Alex?

At 16 Martin fathered a girl with the then 15 year old Heidi Pedersen called Emilie. He refused he was the father, His friend that was in love with Pedersen, knew he was not the father but took responsibilety for Pedersen and her girl, they are not together anylonger but still share parent responsibilety for Emilie. After a paternety test established he was the father and the court ordered him to pay support, he still refused to see her, and has still not met his daughter to this day according to unnamed sources
http://ekstrabladet.dk/underholdning/kendte/article159105.ece

When the Alex and Martin realtionship broke Emilie got to know that the man she thought was her father was not, her mother had to tell her that Martin was her real father becuse of the press.
The mother (Pedersen) asked for calmness around her family, but has posed for pictures where the girls face is hidden, she was also on the danish version of Survivor (before Martin and Alexandra)
http://ekstrabladet.dk/underholdning/kendte/article159858.ece

Martins mother apperantly was very upset she never got to see her grandaughter and had to get help(psychologist? not sure.) Martins father supported Martin in not wanting anything to do with the child. Martins mother would not comment to EB
http://ekstrabladet.dk/underholdning/kendte/article159317.ece

Martins father runs the TV company that has done lots of documentaries on the royal family. Maritn has worked with both Margrethe, Mary, Frederik and ofcourse ALexandra, he was the sound technician on a series about her work for UNICEF I think it was http://ekstrabladet.dk/underholdning/kendte/article158591.ece

Disclaimer: its ekstrabladet (a trashy tabloid, but they were the first to write abotut the J and A divorce so they are right although they like to exaggerate), but it seems this is true, there are also alot of other stories on his various conquests, even suggesting some if them are after Alexandra but there are no reliable sources for this

Last edited:
Larzen said:
At 16 Martin fathered a girl with the then 15 year old Heidi Pedersen called Emilie. He refused he was the father, His friend that was in love with Pedersen, knew he was not the father but took responsibilety for Pedersen and her girl, they are not together anylonger but still share parent responsibilety for Emilie. After a paternety test established he was the father and the court ordered him to pay support, he still refused to see her, and has still not met his daughter to this day according to unnamed sources
http://ekstrabladet.dk/underholdning/kendte/article159105.ece

When the Alex and Martin realtionship broke Emilie got to know that the man she thought was her father was not, her mother had to tell her that Martin was her real father becuse of the press.
The mother (Pedersen) asked for calmness around her family, but has posed for pictures where the girls face is hidden, she was also on the danish version of Survivor (before Martin and Alexandra)
http://ekstrabladet.dk/underholdning/kendte/article159858.ece

Martins mother apperantly was very upset she never got to see her grandaughter and had to get help(psychologist? not sure.) Martins father supported Martin in not wanting anything to do with the child. Martins mother would not comment to EB
http://ekstrabladet.dk/underholdning/kendte/article159317.ece

Martins father runs the TV company that has done lots of documentaries on the royal family. Maritn has worked with both Margrethe, Mary, Frederik and ofcourse ALexandra, he was the sound technician on a series about her work for UNICEF I think it was http://ekstrabladet.dk/underholdning/kendte/article158591.ece

Disclaimer: its ekstrabladet (a trashy tabloid, but they were the first to write abotut the J and A divorce so they are right although they like to exaggerate), but it seems this is true, there are also alot of other stories on his various conquests, even suggesting some if them are after Alexandra but there are no reliable sources for this
Thanks for elaborating, Larzen. So to summarize this all took place a long time ago, way before he met Alexandra. I thought you'd meant that Martin had left a pregnant girlfriend to be with Alexandra, kindof the Daniel Ducruet thing. Glad to see it isn't like that. Who knows what went on at the time, this happened while he was a teenager after all. We also haven't heard Martin's side of this story. Anyway whatever happened, he seems to be living a decent enough life currently. the fact he gets along well with his current girlfriend's kids--good for him and good for the kids, I say.

Speaking of Martin, didn't we get recent reports that they had broken up, followed by reports he had proposed to Alex? So what's the situation? They're still living together in that house? He moved out but they're still seeing each other? Again, this couldn't be LESS of our business, but we Alexandra watchers would love to know! ;)

I just hope she doesn't get pushed into the background. She has done so much for the Danish RF. She is still my favorite member of the Danish RF!

This is crazy - you can "de-princess" her all you like and say she isn't a member of the royal family, except that in reality, she IS a princess, IS 'Her Highness', and always will be the mother of two princes.

The Martin guy sounds like a loser but many of us have dated losers in our time. Here's hoping she doesn't marry him. If she does, then it's "Her Excellency the Countess" for life, and still two Princely sons; but until that time she remains a Princess with the style of "Her Highness" and nothing we type here is going to change that.

tricia said:
I just hope she doesn't get pushed into the background. She has done so much for the Danish RF. She is still my favorite member of the Danish RF!

I wish the same too!..she´s a great woman and always is nice to see her attending her engagements :rolleyes:

Frothy said:
T
The Martin guy sounds like a loser but many of us have dated losers in our time. Here's hoping she doesn't marry him.
What makes you think he's a loser? :confused:
He seems to be leading a decent life.
Would you rather she's dating a slack-jawed count X, Y, von und zu B or other who's done nothing more with his life than inherit a country pile and a couple of tiaras and is slaving his life away at Bank Nepotism & CO.? (to be fair, it is true that Martin is also working at his father's company)

That's right! He can't be too much of a loser. . . He's dating Alexandra!

Huh? What makes me think he's a loser? Did you guys see that post by Larzen about how he refuses to have anything to do with his own daughter, even though it is proved he is her father?

Any man who abandons his own child is a loser with a capital L. Here's hoping if Her Highness chooses to remarry and surrender her princely dignity it's not for somebody like that!

She deserves better.

Hmmmm, I have to concede the point. Makes me wonder why an otherwise intelligent woman would date such a man.

Last edited:
Frothy said:
Huh? What makes me think he's a loser? Did you guys see that post by Larzen about how he refuses to have anything to do with his own daughter, even though it is proved he is her father?

Any man who abandons his own child is a loser with a capital L. Here's hoping if Her Highness chooses to remarry and surrender her princely dignity it's not for somebody like that!

She deserves better.

Somtime ago i read that Martins mother had a nervous because she had not ben allowed to se har grand-daughter by her husband.(stupid man)
I don´t think that princess Alexandra woud ever remarry because she woud lose alot in her life sutch as her princesstitel and her taxfreedom and her invitations to the royal dinners.
I think that her life is like be between the devil and the deep blue sea if she marry she woud lose the press and the titel,BUT if she don´t remarry she woud not have a man to love but still be invitete to the royal dinners :( :( :(

H.M. Margrethe said:
I don´t think that princess Alexandra woud ever remarry because she woud lose alot in her life sutch as her princesstitel and her taxfreedom and her invitations to the royal dinners.

As far as I know Princess Alexandra does not enjoy freedom of taxes.

Henri M. said:
As far as I know Princess Alexandra does not enjoy freedom of taxes.

Yes she does...she does because when she got divorcede from Prince Joachim the Danish government statede that she was going to be on the civil list in the same way as the rest of the royal family.
When she is on the civil list she is abel to get her VAT refund (the same for the rest of the RF)
Also she and the royal family don´t pay tax her in Denmark as far as i know.
IF she ever remarry she will lose har rigth to be on the civil list and the rigth to be callede princess..She woud still holde her titel as the countess of Frederiksborg.

She does not pay income tax or VAT as long as she reamins unmarried. If she remarries she`ll keep her income from the state but she will have to pay tax of it (alot) and VAT on all purchases.

She will however be invited to gala dinners no matter if she marries or not, as she is a Knight of the Order of the elephant. And as far as I know all the danish knights are invited to the Queens galaldinners, like Mr McKinney Møller.

Last edited:
Larzen said:
She does not pay income tax or VAT as long as she reamins unmarried. If she reamrries shell keep her income from the state but she will have to pay tax of it and VAT on all purchases.

She will however be invited to gala dinners no matter if she marries or not, as she is a Knight of the Order of the elephant. And as far as I know all the danish knights are invited to the Queens galaldinners, like Mr MCKinney Møller.

Are you sure about that Larzen ?
I have a feeling that if princess Alexandra ever remarry Queen Margethe migth strip princess Alexandra the Order of the Elephant amd claime the wedding tiara the she and princeconsort gave Princess Alexandra in wedding gift..In that way the queen migth be old-fashioned.

H.M. Margrethe said:
Are you sure about that Larzen ?
I have a feeling that if princess Alexandra ever remarry Queen Margethe migth strip princess Alexandra the Order of the Elephant amd claime the wedding tiara the she and princeconsort gave Princess Alexandra in wedding gift..In that way the queen migth be old-fashioned.
Recently Alexandras secretary said the tiara belonged to the Princess, it was gift to her, not a loan, and it did not belong to Joachim. Queen Margrethe has only stripped one person of the order of the elephant and that was Romanian President Ceausescu, I strongly doubt Alexandra will suffer the same faith for remarrying;) About beeing invited to dinners I cant find a source for it I heared it on Dr or TV2 during the wedding, but then they did not know about Alexandra getting divorced so maybe its no clear what will happen. But then they said that as an Knight of the order of the elephant McKinney Møller was always invited to galadinners.

Last edited:
Larzen said:
Recently Alexandras secretary said the tiara belonged to the Princess, it was gift to her, not a loan, and it did not belong to Joachim. Queen Margrethe has only stripped one person of the order of the elephant and that was Romanian President Ceausescu, I strongly doubt Alexandra will suffer the same faith for remarrying;) About beeing invited to dinners I cant find a source for it I heared it on Dr or TV2 during the wedding, but then they did not know about Alexandra getting divorced so maybe its no clear what will happen. But then they said that as an Knight of the order of the elephant McKinney Møller was always invited to galadinners.

In Denmark you are Knight of the Elephant for life unless you become a traitor of your country... When Ceausescu lost his Elephant it was because his own country no longer acknowledged him as their head of state. The many princes of Denmark who lost their titles and became counts of Rosenborg due to marriage of commoners never lost their Elephants or military honours.

Last edited:
Larzen said:
Recently Alexandras secretary said the tiara belonged to the Princess, it was gift to her, not a loan,
Well, that makes sense, I cannot see Joachim's new wife wanting to wear Alexandra's jewelry. Even in the unlikely event that Queen Margrethe were to take back the tiara, I seriously doubt that it would go to Joachim's new wife.

The most logical conclusion would be that Alexandra will keep it and pass it on to Nikolai's wife.

Princess Alexandra looks like a lovely person.
She will find someone who loves her for herself.
She has quita a personality.
Thank you all for the pictures of her.

Can I change to Royal watcher rather than being referred to as a commoner.Thank you.

Countess Alexandra must understand once her brother-in-law marries her position will automatically be reduced to make way for the future Queen of Denmark. I welcome comments on that. Thank you.

She was only ever in the 'Duchess of York' position, wasn't she? Her position will only be reduced if she remarries, then she slips from Princess and Her Highness to Countess and Her Excellency (but in her own right). Either way I think Denmark gave her a great deal. Other RFs could learn from this example how to handle a divorce where the woman is bringing up Princes/esses of the blood royal.

The exception being Fergie whom I think was handled appropriately given the scandal. Alexandra appears, in contrast, to know how to conduct herself with decorum and to make her a Princess but of lesser rank and generously give her an own-right title too seems a model of how to do it and keep things civil with all parties.

Good for Queen Margarethe!

Pansy said:
Princess Alexandra looks like a lovely person.
She will find someone who loves her for herself.
who says her current boyfriend doesn't? :confused:

Pansy said:
Countess Alexandra must understand once her brother-in-law marries her position will automatically be reduced to make way for the future Queen of Denmark. I welcome comments on that. Thank you.
Her ex brother in law IS married, has been since 2004. You mean her position has been reduced over the last two years because of that?

Pansy said:
Can I change to Royal watcher rather than being referred to as a commoner.Thank you.

Alexandra is just not a Countess she is also Princess..Her titel is:
Princess Alexandra of Denmark,Countess of Frederiksborg.
I don´t think that her position her in Denmark has been reducede since CP Frederik got CP Mary as wife. Both women has their one area to complete and when littel Prince Christian came CP Mary had another area to work with...I hope that she and Princess Alexandra talk about being a mother,wife and a Princess.

H.M. Margrethe said:
I hope that she and Princess Alexandra talk about being a mother,wife and a Princess.

That would require a relationship between Mary and Alexandra, and they don't seem to have one. I've only seen a few pictures of them together at a fashion show. I think part of the reason I could never warm up to Mary is that I don't like the way she interacts, or doesn't, with Alexandra. That is where the grace of a woman and a princess should come through; Mary should be able to convey a certain sympathy and support for Alexandra's situation without undermining her own relationship with the rest of the royal family. She could do this simply by appearing with her a few more times than she did.

Since Mary is married to Fred, it is only logical that her allegiance would naturally gravitate to her husband's family - Joachim. Being a "fairly new" addition to the family, it would be too much to ask that Mary support Alexandra. Her support of Alexandra would give the impression that she favors Alexandra and opposes Joachim; an impression which the royal family may feel is totally inappropriate for the royal household. After all, they must all present a united front.

Do you think she's being phased out of the Royal Household now that she's no longer a part of the family? Do you think she will remarry. After years of being referred to as HRH to be downgraded to HH, must seem somewhat humiliating and it would be even more so if she would be downgraded to HE. I think she would be used to being treated as a Princess and it would be a massive Alexandra she wouldn't become known as Mrs so and so after remarriage and that was nice of Her Majesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom