Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, Part 1: February 2012 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in England 17 is the official starting age for driving, however mobility benefit can be claimed at 16 if needed. So it didn't surprise me that Nikolai is starting to learn already. Hopefully the people of Copenhagen won't need to stay indoors when he's out on the roads!

:previous: Nice that they release a picture. I think Nikolai could have attended but maybe he is still in school. Nice that the brothers have their own foundation

Those are great photos of the two brothers and it's nice that Nikolai was included. Felix is growing up into quite a handsome young man.

Both Nikolai and Felix have grown into handsome young men. Happy Birthday!

I really like these new pictures of Felix and Nikolai. They are both very handsome.

Those are great photos of the two brothers and it's nice that Nikolai was included. Felix is growing up into quite a handsome young man.

I've always found it interesting that each sibling is always included in their respective birthday photo releases.

They're the handsomest princes in their generation, that's for sure.

:previous: They are gorgeous, aren't they? These two Danish princes and young Gabriel of Belgium are going to corner the market for dashing European bachelor princes in a few years.;)?

:previous:
Totally expecting them to make it to those "Hot, Young, and Royal!!!" kind of American articles starting year 2020... or People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People. :D

I always like seeing pictures of the Danish kids so this isn't really a complaint but I do wonder why children so far down the line of succession need formal sets of pictures released every year on their birthdays? And how long will the tradition continue? It's starting to seem a little odd, unless Nikolai and Felix are being prepared for lives as working royals.

:previous: Two main reasons I think.
1) There is a general wish for such photos to be released on the children's birthdays. - Just look at the interest and expectations here.
The tribe or public if you will, follow the family continuously. It's good PR and probably the parents wish to have photos taken anyway, so why not publish a few?
I think the public, and the press, would find it very odd if Joachim's children were no longer photographed on their birthdays. It would IMO backfire seriously and there would be endless speculations as to a strife within the family.
2) In order not to treat the children differently. I think it's pretty sure Joachim's children will all end up having to support themselves, with few royal duties. - Unless they wish to and have a talent for public duty. But until that has been decided, and that may take many years, it's simpler to treat all the children the same.
However, I think the last official birthday set to be featuring Nikolai will end when he turns 18, and then only at round birthdays and special occasions or for family portraits.

Last edited:
First day of school for Athena. August 11 for photo opportunity.
Privat til redaktionerne: Første skoledag for D.K.H. Prins Vincent og Prinsesse Josephine og H.H. Prinsesse Athena | Kongehuset

"D.K.H. Prince Joachim and Princess Marie's daughter, Princess Athena, commences on August 11th in the 0 grade on Sct. Joseph Sisters' School in Ordrup. The princess starts at the same school as his brother H.H. Prince Henrik.

Her Highness Princess Athena begins in the 0 grade at Sct. Joseph Sisteren's School in Ordrup Friday, August 11th. In this connection there will be a possibility for photography before departure from Emiliekildevej 19A, Klampenborg, at. 8.30, where H.K.H. Prince Joachim and H.K.H. Princess Marie will come out in front of her home with her daughter. The meeting time is at. 8.10."

a big girl starting school already!:flowers:

Why is Athena starting school at the same time as the twins when she's a year younger? Is there that much flexibility in start times in Denmark? The schools here are pretty strict.

Last edited:
I'd forgotten that it was time for Athena to start school too - this month shall be adorable with her and the twins both starting. I've always been surprised at how early Denmark starts, considering that most schools in Europe (that I'm aware of) go back in September.

Why is Athena starting school at the same time as the twins when she's a year younger? Is there that much flexibility in start times in Denmark? The schools here are pretty strict.

Can depend on the child's maturity. Felix started a year later.

Can depend on the child's maturity. Felix started a year later.

Interesting, thanks. So can mistakes be corrected? For example, if Felix had turned out to be academically and emotionally ready for the next grade level, could he have been moved up? Or could Athena repeat the year if she struggled?

Interesting, thanks. So can mistakes be corrected? For example, if Felix had turned out to be academically and emotionally ready for the next grade level, could he have been moved up? Or could Athena repeat the year if she struggled?

You can skip a year, if your especially gifted, but it's usually frowned upon, because school is also about learning social skills.
If a child turns out to be too immature it's not that uncommon to let the child repeat a class. It's not an ideal solution, because the child will feel a sense of failure and will have to start in a new class. Since most children attend kindergarten the teachers there can assess where a child is ready for school or no. Athena must be very ready for school, since she starts so young.

Pretty in pink she surly is and what a cute little princess. It seems she does not want to let go of mom, maybe a bit shy I wonder. First day of a new world is opening up for her and to be expected to be weary away from home.

Awww, she does't seem very enthusiastic about going to school (can't say i blame her) :lol::lol::lol:

Cute little dress, though, matchy with mom

Prinsesse Athena er begyndt i skole | BILLED-BLADET

BB reports that Athena was indeed very shy and pretty reluctant to come forward to face the press.
No wonder, she's after all only five. And without her cousin Josephine to goad her forward ? it must be pretty daunting for a young child.

I hope you are able to watch this clip from TV2: Genert prinsesse Athena gemte sig på første skoledag - TV 2

Athena was not at all eager to come out and face the press, but she did answer yes, to the question as to whether she's looking forward to start in school.

Joachim mused at the fact that his youngest in starting in school while his oldest is in his last year in high school.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wonder why Athena starting school in the same year as her cousins Vincent and Josephine as the twins are one year older than Athena.

She is a little stressed before all the medias
I understand her, all the children are already stressed the first day of school
Her dress is very beautiful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom