Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, Part 1: February 2012 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Can't blame you. Holte and Hellerup are practically two sides of the same coin – at least where I'm from :whistling: ?

So why did Prince Nikolai go to Herlufsholm and why is this school not selected for Prince Felix? I am just curious and wonder whether school fees are perhaps an issue?:bang:

I think Nikolai will want to pursue a career (but not as a model) and earn his money. I think fashion is just a hobby.

Does Countess Alexandra work?

Last edited:
Zelia, you mentioned the CP children go to 'a public private school', what exactly do you mean?

I've always thought they went to a decent but normal public school (no uniforms etc) unlike Joachim's children. But it sounds like it's not just an average school? More like a public funded school but for posh people?

I have zero knowledge of the education system in Denmark so be patient with me please :bang::bang::bang:

Zelia, you mentioned the CP children go to 'a public private school', what exactly do you mean?

I've always thought they went to a decent but normal public school (no uniforms etc) unlike Joachim's children. But it sounds like it's not just an average school? More like a public funded school but for posh people?

I have zero knowledge of the education system in Denmark so be patient with me please :bang::bang::bang:

The children of crownprince Frederik attend a normal public School. Its located where a lot of the children have wealthier parents, but if a child move to the area, he or she will be attending that School imidiately.

Catching up on things around after a crazy visit from Real Life that’s not over yet, but calmed down a wee bit. Anyway...

A question...When did that sweet adorable little boy grow up into this handsome young man attending his 1st white tie event!?!

Sigh...It really does seem it happened in the blink of an eye, doesn’t? [emoji4]

So why did Prince Nikolai go to Herlufsholm and why is this school not selected for Prince Felix? I am just curious and wonder whether school fees are perhaps an issue?:bang:

Why Nikolai preferred to go to Herlufsholm, rather than signing up for a high school in Copenhagen is of course something that is open for speculation.
Boarding schools are subsidized but it's still pretty expensive to send your child to one, especially one of the better boarding school and Herlufsholm is one of the best boarding schools in DK. - As such they tend to attract children of parents who have the means (and as such also the status) to send their children there.
The pupils of Herlufsholm also tend to form a lifelong network, which comes in very handy in the future, not least in a small country like DK.

Herlufsholm was the second choice for Felix, according to himself.
What happens is that people sign up for which high schools they wish to attend. In Felix case it was Gammel Hellerup High School, close to where he lives (and still in a very affluent neighborhood mind you). With Herlufsholm as the second choice and presumably another (state) high school as the third choice.
Okay, if there is not a vacant place at Gammel Hellerup High School, then it will be checked whether Herlufsholm has a vacant place (if they want him and if his parents can afford to pay the fee that is.) and if they decline then it's the third option. And if there is no room at the third high school the authorities will allocate a place for him at a fourth high school.
Gammel Hellerup High School is run by the state, so it's free of charge.

What happened was IMO that Felix and most of the boys in his class, whom he seems to be good friends with, all decided to apply for Gammel Hellerup High School and as such stay more or less together for three more years.

All state/public schools in DK, up to and including high school level (and that includes most trade and technical schools as well) are free of charge.
Quite a lot of children attend private schools though. (Our oldest went to a private school, while our youngest attended the local state school.) But the fees are heavily subsidized, so it's generally not that big a burden on the family economy.

But Archduchess Zelia certainly has a point when she says that the school M&F's children attend is a "private" public school. Apart from having a level that ranks among the best state schools in DK, it is located in an affluent neighborhood and as such have a majority of pupils who live in that area - of affluent, influential, well educated and highly committed parents. That rubs off on the school of course. That also applies to the high school Felix is going to attend.
There are of course pupils of less fortunate parents in these schools, but they are very much in the minority. And the school is not that sought after by less affluent parents. It's simply a question of: Will your child fit in and be comfortable there?
In the case of Gammel Hellerup High School, many who are to sign up for a high school may deselect this high school, if they come from a more modest (in this context normal) background and have to rely on SU and part time jobs for their pocket money. SU is the amount all pupils in trade schools and high schools get from the state. It's not a loan, it's money in the pocket while they study to be used at their own discretion.
SU is not that big an amount, but certainly better than nothing(!). So the question is: Will you sign up for a high school, where a number of your fellow students spend an amount that is equivalent to the monthly SU in a day(!) and who live a lifestyle you simply cannot keep up with - and who (in some cases) may be terrible snobs as well?
Or will you sign up for a more "normal" high school, where your fellow students are more like yourself? Perhaps also politically.
Especially as the education can be just as good or even better at an "ordinary" high school.
Hence "private" public school.

Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, News Part 1: February 2012 -

It sounds like the school Nikolai went is quite a lot like Eton in the UK. Would that be right to say Muhler?

Last edited:
It sounds like the school Nikolai went is quite a lot like Eton in the UK. Would that be right to say Muhler?

I think so.
Herlufsholm and Sorø Academy are, I believe, the boarding schools that can best be compared to the better British boarding schools.

Nikolai has given an interview to the magazine Euroman.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-nikolai-taler-ud-om-sit-karrierevalg-der-var-et-oenske-i-familien

Here he is talking about his immediate plans for the future.
Sitting next to him during the interview was Alexandra, who also assisted Nikolai in regards to phrasing his replies as the magazine notice. - He is of course not used to nor trained in dealing with the press and giving longer interviews.

As you know Nikolai will join the army next month and about the decision he says:
"It was a wish within the family that that I at least signed up for conscription. (volunteer conscription. Way over 90 % of all Danish conscripts are volunteers.) So I thought I would build on that with an additional military education."
Der var et ønske i familien om, at jeg tog i hvert fald værnepligten derinde. Så tænkte jeg, at det vil jeg bygge videre på med en lidt længere militæruddannelse,

Here Alexandra interjects:
"I think we have recommended some things. But ultimately it was your choice."
Jeg tror, vi har anbefalet nogle ting. Men det var dit valg i sidste ende«

Nikolai adds that he was the one who told his dad about his decision. (It's no secret Joachim very much wished for Nikolai to join the military.)

Nikolai has not yet determined what he want's to do after the military. But it will be a civilian education, either in DK or abroad.
With perhaps the occasional modelling job in between.

Nikolai has previously talked about him wanting to become a farmer (and agricultural education) or becoming a racing driver - but farming certainly is very much off. But he'd still like to race if he got the opportunity.
However mother Alexandra believes that to be too late. He should have started driving go-carts years ago for him to become a racing driver.

Nikolai also got a little heat during the PH's funeral events, when he went off modelling. But that with the full support of his parents, who believed he should stay committed to his modelling-commitments. And that PH would have agreed with them in that respect.

----------

The magazine Euroman is I believe a magazine that is very much aimed at men, who are successful career-men and young men like Nikolai. Who wish to remain on top of the latest male trends in regards to fashion, accessories, appearance and so on.

-----------------------

Nikolai is of course getting a lot of attention, because he is the first young man who is becoming an adult in the DRF for many years.
So there is a lot of interest in what his role is going to be in regards to the DRF. What kind of life he intends to build and so on. It is very much an indication of what certainly Joachim's children will do.

Last edited:
:previous: thank you Muhler.
I like how Alexandra goes in "it was your choice dear" Lol reminds me of some parents ;)
It of course causes interest, being the first grandson of the Queen, and like you said a good indication for Joachim's kids.

I assume it was his choice but had he chosen differently that would not have been appreciated, so I am not sure how much of a choice he really had.

It doesn't seem he has a clue what he wants to do with his life: farming is out of the question after the estate was sold and 'race car driver' sounds as something only extremely rich and well-connected boys would think of unless they would be very talented (and he clearly isn't in that category). So, really the only thing that he knows is that he will do what his dad expects of him (joining the military) and do some modelling on the side.

This gives the impression of a somewhat spoiled rich kid who has tons of opportunities whose interests so far seem rather superficial (I get he is only 18 but I would hope the DRF would have instilled the idea of 'responsibility' in him). Hopefully his time in the military will give him some focus so he finds a way to use all the opportunities he has to bring about something good.

I agree.
I think the military will be beneficial for him.
It will teach him self discipline, responsibility, humility and mature him.

It must also be difficult. There are so many doors open for him, and being royal there are also many doors closed to him.
I won't go as far as to call him a spoiled, rich kid, but certainly undecided. Like so many young people his age.

Last edited:

Muhler explained it really well in post #584. You were right, it is a state school and free of charge. If you live within the school's district, that's almost certainly the school you get into. Thing is that it's located in a very affluent neighbourhood. There isn't a whole lot of economic diversity going on, the vast majority of its students are from good families with both a financial and a social surplus. And the parents' economy is guaranteed to reflect in the school's environment and the quality of the education. And that's probably also why Mary and Frederik chose the school. Not only is the standard of the school high, we also know that several of their friends' children go there.

To the best of my knowledge, the CP children would've belonged to Nyboder Skole's school district and while I appreciate how Mary and Frederik decided to put their children in a public school – I personally think all royal children can benefit from that – I would've lauded them if they'd let the kids go to their district school. To meet and befriend people from different backgrounds and cultures, I think, would be especially beneficial for royal children – and especially the future monarch. The "letting one's children go to a public school" aspect sort of pales when it's "just" a public school within private school settings :D

Not sure how it relates to my post about Holte and Hellerup (Herlufsholm is located in Næstved) but I'm guessing it was just a matter of choice. Didn't he say himself that he opted for this school because he preferred to stay close to his family and friends? But then, Herlufsholm was his second choice, so he probably just preferred GHG.

Last edited:
Nikolai has given an interview to the magazine Euroman.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-nikolai-taler-ud-om-sit-karrierevalg-der-var-et-oenske-i-familien

Here he is talking about his immediate plans for the future.
Sitting next to him during the interview was Alexandra, who also assisted Nikolai in regards to phrasing his replies as the magazine notice. - He is of course not used to nor trained in dealing with the press and giving longer interviews.

As you know Nikolai will join the army next month and about the decision he says:
"It was a wish within the family that that I at least signed up for conscription. (volunteer conscription. Way over 90 % of all Danish conscripts are volunteers.) So I thought I would build on that with an additional military education."
Der var et ønske i familien om, at jeg tog i hvert fald værnepligten derinde. Så tænkte jeg, at det vil jeg bygge videre på med en lidt længere militæruddannelse,

Here Alexandra interjects:
"I think we have recommended some things. But ultimately it was your choice."
Jeg tror, vi har anbefalet nogle ting. Men det var dit valg i sidste ende«

Nikolai adds that he was the one who told his dad about his decision. (It's no secret Joachim very much wished for Nikolai to join the military.)

Nikolai has not yet determined what he want's to do after the military. But it will be a civilian education, either in DK or abroad.
With perhaps the occasional modelling job in between.

Nikolai has previously talked about him wanting to become a farmer (and agricultural education) or becoming a racing driver - but farming certainly is very much off. But he'd still like to race if he got the opportunity.
However mother Alexandra believes that to be too late. He should have started driving go-carts years ago for him to become a racing driver.

Nikolai also got a little heat during the PH's funeral events, when he went off modelling. But that with the full support of his parents, who believed he should stay committed to his modelling-commitments. And that PH would have agreed with them in that respect.

----------

The magazine Euroman is I believe a magazine that is very much aimed at men, who are successful career-men and young men like Nikolai. Who wish to remain on top of the latest male trends in regards to fashion, accessories, appearance and so on.

-----------------------

Nikolai is of course getting a lot of attention, because he is the first young man who is becoming an adult in the DRF for many years.
So there is a lot of interest in what his role is going to be in regards to the DRF. What kind of life he intends to build and so on. It is very much an indication of what certainly Joachim's children will do.

Thank you for the expert, Muhler.
It certainly does seem that Nikolai has been more in the spotlight recently. He's at a different stage of life from Mary and Frederik's children which is more interesting from the media's point of view (girlfriends, careers, etc).
I presume that he was inspired by life at Schakenborg in regards to his original agricultural aspirations.
Haha, I also thought it was funny when Alexandra said that the military was ultimately Nikolai's decision; also reminds me a lot of conversations I have with my own mother. :D

For a while at least, it seems like Nikolai and his Benedikte will mainly see each other on skype.
Because after the summer holidays she will move to Paris to study French and she will stay there for six months.
Nikolai will in the meantime go through boot camp and then start at the NCO school.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-nikolai-maa-undvaere-sin-kaereste-benedikte-i-et-halvt-aar

The gossip magazine Her & Nu has talked to Benedikte's dad, Anders Thoustrup, and he says about Nikolai:
"I have of course met Prince Nikolai and he is a very likable young man. He is thoroughly likable."
Jeg har selvfølgelig mødt prins Nikolai og han er en meget sympatisk, ung mand. Han er gennemført sympatisk,

A bit too early to speculate if this is a future Danish Princess;)
However, if their relationship survives a six-month separation, it bodes well for the future.

Last edited:
This time we have a statement from Alexandra about Benedikte: https://www.bt.dk/royale/alexandra-begejstret-for-nikolais-nye-kaereste-hun-er-vidunderlig

Through her secretary Alexandra says:
"Benedikte is a wonderful girl, whom we are glad to know."
Benedikte er en vidunderlig pige, som vi er glade for at kende,

We also learn that Benedikte is to study French at Sorbonne, which must be considered among the best, if not the best university in France.
Prince Henrik studied law and political science at Sorbonne and QMII studied political science there.

We also learn that Benedikte's father is a comfortable millionaire. With a fortune I will estimate a little less than Joachims and probably on par with QMII's fortune - again in my estimation.

- From that we can deduce that Benedikte is pretty bright! And that she is almost certainly pretty accomplished in the French language.

Interesting, thanks Muhler. Given her background, it seems that it was inevitable that Benedikte and Nikolai would cross paths. Also interesting that she is going to the Sorbonne; my drama teacher at secondary school's husband studied there. I didn't realise that Henrik and Margrethe went there too. I wonder if any of the young members of the DRF will study there when they eventually go off to university.
Benedikte seems like a nice girl.

Things are very quiet DRF-wise here in DK!

QMII is at Marselisborg, and when she isn't there, she is probably quietly visiting every archeological dig or museum in Jutland she possibly can or going to outdoor theaters. - So she's probably happy.
J&M you ask? They may very well be in France right now.
No idea where M&F are, but they should arrive at Gråsten within the next day or two and my guess is that they will stay there until the end of week 30.

So that leaves Nikolai. He has as you know by now been interviewed by Euroman, but also Dust magazine - also seconded by his mother.
And Billed Bladet has some quotes from that interview in this weeks issue.

(BTW it appears Nikolai has been allocated to Henrik Salling. I have noticed that the BB reporters tend to split the DRF between them and hopefully build up a kind of relationship over the years with the individual royals.)

Nikolai remember from his childhood that they has a F-word box at home. (*)
"We had an F-word box. I think you paid 5 DKK (a little less than a Dollar) per swear-word. The one who had used least swear words got the pile at the end of the week. It used to be dad who lost."

Nikolai has no plans for studying abroad after the military.
"When I was younger I wanted to study abroad - preferably in Hong Kong. Now I really like to be in Copenhagen and for the moment I can't see myself elsewhere. I will however be in Jutland a lot of the time while I'm in the military. But I'll be coming home to Copenhagen during most weekends."

That's something that delights mother. During a part of the interview they also talk about moving away from home. and Here he says to his mother: "You said something about gradually letting go..."
Alexandra: "Gradual... that's probably the optimum word."

About being a royal he says: "To be a royal today has changed a lot in relation to how it was 100 years ago. The modern world means the monarchy has had to adapt itself. I have the best of two worlds, as I have duties and responsibilities, but I can at the same time live almost a normal life. For that I can thank my parents." (**)

(*) A swear-word box I think it's called in English, but I thought the name needed a little modernization... ?

(**) Ahh, he does sound like the ideal son, doesn't he?
Just wait when he comes back from boot camp, with cropped hair and sporting a new tattoo on his buttocks: Eat my dust, Chuck Norris! :D

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...-og-marie-besoeger-prins-nikolai-paa-kasernen

Nikolai is to start in the military in a couple of weeks and on the 15th August Joachim and our Marie will visit him in the barracks at Varde.
(It's a parents day, where the proud parents will see their sons and daughters look like and begin to act like soldiers.)
At the same time it marks the 30th anniversary for Joachim starting his NCO training the same place.

And Countess Alexandra will not be there?

:previous: Perhaps. But she is not mentioned in the article. Nor is Felix for that matter.

Time to close this thread. Thanks for all your contributions! The new thread can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom