Prince Joachim, Current Events Part 2: September 2005 - June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are they hunting ? I don't see any guns, but it sure does look cold

Red deer and similar sized animals.

I'm not sure what exactly, lyndaW, but the fact that they didn't wear their
guns, maybe doesn't mean that they hadn't any with them..

Yesterday, November 15, Prince Joachim presented the National Network
of Business Leaders Network Price in Aarhus.

Here's a gallery with some pics of the event:

** netvaerksprisen.dk: Billeder fra Netværksdagen 2010 **

Thank you, Iceflower :flowers:

This prize was awarded to companies who have employed and cared for youth who have social issues or have had an addiction.

The purpose is for them to get a new start and just as importantly provide them with a new network via their work. And in that way get them away from their old environment, their old "friends".

Last edited by a moderator:

Prince Joachim handed out the Danish Industry Initiative Price, for the Wind
turbine manufacturer, Gram and Juhl, at the Hotel Crown Plaza in Copenhagen,
January 19, 2011.

** ppe gallery ** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

January 19, 2011.

Thank you iceflower. BTW does anyone know how tall Prince Joachim is?

January 19, 2011.

Thank you, Iceflower :flowers:

Gram & Juhl recieve the prize for developing a system to basically monitor and diagnose wind turbines on the run, so to speak.
The production and development of windmills and wind turbines is an important industry in Denmark. - Or rather should be, as the current government haven't bothered to support and nurish that industry with investments!
Result: Our competitors are taking over.

If your need a few ministers to make wrong descisions in your countries, you can have some of ours. - For free!

Prince Joachim attended the medal ceremony of the Confederation of Danish Industries and Handcraft
Medal Fund Østjyllands at the City Hall in Aarhus yesterday, May 18, 2011.

Joachim himself was honoured as well for his "longstanding commitment and support for East Jutland",
he was "appointed Honorary Craftsman 2011 DI (Confederation of Danish Industries) and crafts Medal
Fund, Denmark".

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** jp.dk: Æreshåndværkeren er en prins ** translation **

** stiften.dk: Prins Joachim blev Årets Æreshåndværker ** translation **

Today, May 19, Prince Joachim attended the presentation of the Eco Cars by the Technical University
of Denmark for the Shell Eco-marathon 2011.

** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
Thank you for these photographs IceFlower. Wonderful to see the Prince out and about with his two sons. Gosh, Felix and Nikolai have certainly grown.

Last edited:
Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

Two galleries from BT Prins Joachim i legehumør med ungerne | www.bt.dk
and Jyske Vestkysten, JV.dk - Nyheder - Tønder - Besøg i oldtidsparken: Prins Joachim var ikke bange af sig with comments.

Pic #1: Nikolai with "Roman auxillaries" in the background. The ammunition the woman is holdning is made from ice.
JV.dk - Nyheder - Tønder - Besøg i oldtidsparken: Prins Joachim var ikke bange af sig

#5: Well..... The bow must have malfunctioned....
JV.dk - Nyheder - Tønder - Besøg i oldtidsparken: Prins Joachim var ikke bange af sig

#10 : A wild piglet, resembling the breed of pics used 1.500-2.000 years ago in DK.

#14: The woman is not a Roman auxillary as she is not wearing the typical Roman military belt. However the quality of her equipment marks her as a high ranking warrior. In fact a very large percentage indeed of Roman swords have been found in Danish bogs. Arms smuggling and arms trade was a very profitable business back then.

#17: The man in the centre is a Roman auxillary. Notice the long military belt, which is always tied in a knot, and worn with pride as a symbol of his status. Also notice his short stabbing sword, the Gladius, which identify him as being an infantry man. The men in the background are not Romans, but just like the woman, local Germannic tribesmen. The Danes are a Germannic people.

#18: Notice the woman on the right, she's most interesting. Bare forearms were sexy in the Iron and Wiking ages. However she's wearing a longsleeved dress and has her hair braided, in contrast to young girls, who wore short sleeves and had their hair hanging loose. As such the woman is most likely married and past the time of being youthfully flirtatious.

#22 : An Iron age type of longbow, though not nearly as powerful as the later English longbow. Joachim is in several pictures seen pulling that bow, something he would have difficulty doing with a medieval English longbow!

#26: A canoe being hollowed out. A very common and simple way to make some transportation up to 2.000 years ago. It's nowhere nearly as sophisticated as the canoes made by the various peoples living around the Great Lakes a 1.000 years later.

#27: Pole leaping has remained a Southern Jutlandic sport up until this day. Southern Jutland contains a lot of march land, and it would be fairly common to see the locals jumping over small streams using a pole until half a century ago.
As we can see in some of the pics, Felix didn't quite make it....:lol:

#35: The Germannic peoples were very competents metal workers and blacksmiths were revered.

#36: Notice the soldier in the centre background. That's a regular Roman legionaire in cold climate outfit. From around 50 BC to around 200 AD. Armed with the very efficient javelin, a Pilum. The segmentata armour was light and sturdy and ensured very good mobility.
Also notice the shields to the left. During the first couple of centuries AD, round shields were used by auxillaries, who fought in a more mobile and open way or were raiding. The rectangular shields were used by regular Roman legionaires, who usually fought in dense formations.

#37: Our Germannic warrior is drawing her sword, also a Gladius and most likely a Roman import. The length of the sword means that was to have been used by Roman auxillary cavalry.
The Germannic tribes preferred swords that were longer than the short stabbing swords used by Roman infantry.

Last edited:
Prince Joachim and Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix visiting Hjemsted Oldtidspark & Museum where an Iron Age village was situated 2000 years ago. August 02, 2011

PPE Agency

On Sunday, September 4th, Prince Joachim has opened the 25th Møgeltønder
Cup, Billed-Bladet calls it a "Football tournament in Prince Joachim's backyard" :)

The pic with the giggling girls has something funny ;)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** jv.dk gallery ** Translated BB article **

thanks, iceflower. :flowers:

what's happening?!? joachim is practically naked!! :eek:
no tie and his shirt is unbottoned almost down to his belly. what is going on?

i'll tell you who is to blame. it's them hippies. as soon as these longhaired hoodlums show up anywhere, public decency begins to decay. that's what happening here with joachim, i fear. :sad:

On Sunday, September 4th, Prince Joachim has opened the 25th Møgeltønder
Cup, Billed-Bladet calls it a "Football tournament in Prince Joachim's backyard" :)

The pic with the giggling girls has something funny ;)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** jv.dk gallery ** Translated BB article **

Joachim looks shocking. If I didnt know better, I'd guess him not early 40ies but early 50ies.

Prince Joachim has been in Germany today! :)

He attended the festive dedication of the so-called 'Idsted Lion' in Flensburg (Northern Germany near the border
to Denmark).

After almost 150 years, the monument, which commemorates the Battle of Idsted in 1850, returned to its original
location at the old cemetery in Flensburg. It was erected in Flensburg in 1862, but was moved by the Prussians
in 1864. After being stationed in Berlin, Germany, and Copenhagen, Denmark, the Lion has now returned.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Prince Joachim has been in Germany today! :)

He attended the festive dedication of the so-called 'Idsted Lion' in Flensburg (Northern Germany near the border
to Denmark).

After almost 150 years, the monument, which commemorates the Battle of Idsted in 1850, returned to its original
location at the old cemetery in Flensburg. It was erected in Flensburg in 1862, but was moved by the Prussians
in 1864. After being stationed in Berlin, Germany, and Copenhagen, Denmark, the Lion has now returned.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Thank you, Iceflower. :flowers:

The Isted Lion was put of near the battlefield of Isted, to honor the fallen of this the largest battle of the First Schleswigan War.
The battle took place in 1850, towards the end of the war, which lasted between 1948-50.
To keep a very long a complicated story short:
Schleswig & Holstein,then two duchies, rebelled against the Danish government in 1848, in response to the reforms taking place in connection with Denmark becoming a democracy. And as such incororate the two duchies into Denmark, something they had de facto been for centuries.
By 1848 and several centuries back the Danish king automatically became the duke of Schleswig & Holstein, thus giving them a semblance of independence. So ironically they didn't rebel against their duke but against the government of the Danish king. (Headache anyone? :p Be glad I wont write about the complicated issues)!
In the late 1840 a wave of nationalism swept through Europe and there were a number of uprisings all over the continent. Also in Schleswig & Holstein. They were looking south towards the German states there, it was also there the action was and they did not want to become a part of another country eventhough they had been attached to that country (Denmark) for 1.000 years. Result: rebellion.
Well, despite some support from various German states the rebellion was put down, with a lot of bitterness on both sides. Families had litterally been torn apart, many had been killed, it was a traumatic shock, a strong sense of betrayal, something akin to say Northern England today suddenly rebelling and wishing to form an alliance with Scotland. If you can imagine that.
Well, the Isted Lion was put up after the war.
Then chancellor Bismarck entered the stage, with his dream of unifying the Germans states. The Schleswig & Holstein issue was a convenient excuse to score some political points. The Second Schleswigan War in 1864 was a disaster for Denmark and just a big a national trauma as the US Civil War. Something we really omly overcame about twenty years ago.
The war in 1864 was the first of three wars instigated by Bismarck and as you know, he acheived his goal with the defeat of France in 1871.
The Isted Lion had in the meantime been brought to Berlin as a war trophy and there it remained until 1945, when it was shipped to Copenhagen.
Now, today, it has finally come home. To Flensburg in present day Germany. Where it now symbolise unification across borders and between nationalities, achieved the hard way.
In 1920 Northern Slesvig (Danish spelling) returned to Denmark. Ironically a survey showed that had there been a referendum at the time, the town of Flensburg would also have become Danish.

Now, I can hear some of you asking: "But, Joachim is Rigsforstander, shouldn't he remain on Danish soil"? Stricktly speaking, yes. The law actually says so. But laws are to be bend. Flensburg is just across the border and Joachim could comfortably walk from the border to the Isted Lion had he wished to. With modern means of communication Joachim would quickly be able to run back to Denmark within 10 minuttes, in case of a Swedish invasion.
The purpose of the law is to prevent an interregnum, should say the king be taken prisoner by the Swedes while visiting say Malmö, just across the sound from Copenhagen. To be followed by a Swedish invasion. - You never know what they are up to, those Swedes...
But to be serious; 200 years ago that was a genuine possibillity, and that's why the law says that there must always be a regent/rigsforstander when the Monarch has left Danish soil.

Last edited:
Thank you, Iceflower. :flowers:

The Isted Lion was put of near the battlefield of Isted, to honor the fallen of this the largest battle of the First Schleswigan War.
The battle took place in 1850, towards the end of the war, which lasted between 1948-50.
To keep a very long a complicated story short:
Schleswig & Holstein,then two duchies, rebelled against the Danish government in 1848, in response to the reforms taking place in connection with Denmark becoming a democracy. And as such incororate the two duchies into Denmark, something they had de facto been for centuries.
By 1848 and several centuries back the Danish king automatically became the duke of Schleswig & Holstein, thus giving them a semblance of independence. So ironically they didn't rebel against their duke but against the government of the Danish king. (Headache anyone? :p Be glad I wont write about the complicated issues)!
In the late 1840 a wave of nationalism swept through Europe and there were a number of uprisings all over the continent. Also in Schleswig & Holstein. They were looking south towards the German states there, it was also there the action was and they did not want to become a part of another country eventhough they had been attached to that country (Denmark) for 1.000 years. Result: rebellion.
Well, despite some support from various German states the rebellion was put down, with a lot of bitterness on both sides. Families had litterally been torn apart, many had been killed, it was a traumatic shock, a strong sense of betrayal, something akin to say Northern England today suddenly rebelling and wishing to form an alliance with Scotland. If you can imagine that.
Well, the Isted Lion was put up after the war.
Then chancellor Bismarck entered the stage, with his dream of unifying the Germans states. The Schleswig & Holstein issue was a convenient excuse to score some political points. The Second Schleswigan War in 1864 was a disaster for Denmark and just a big a national trauma as the US Civil War. Something we really omly overcame about twenty years ago.
The war in 1864 was the first of three wars instigated by Bismarck and as you know, he acheived his goal with the defeat of France in 1871.
The Isted Lion had in the meantime been brought to Berlin as a war trophy and there it remained until 1945, when it was shipped to Copenhagen.
Now, today, it has finally come home. To Flensburg in present day Germany. Where it now symbolise unification across borders and between nationalities, achieved the hard way.
In 1920 Northern Slesvig (Danish spelling) returned to Denmark. Ironically a survey showed that had there been a referendum at the time, the town of Flensburg would also have become Danish.

Now, I can hear some of you asking: "But, Joachim is Rigsforstander, shouldn't he remain on Danish soil"? Stricktly speaking, yes. The law actually says so. But laws are to be bend. Flensburg is just across the border and Joachim could comfortably walk from the border to the Isted Lion had he wished to. With modern means of communication Joachim would quickly be able to run back to Denmark within 10 minuttes, in case of a Swedish invasion.
The purpose of the law is to prevent an interregnum, should say the king be taken prisoner by the Swedes while visiting say Malmö, just across the sound from Copenhagen. To be followed by a Swedish invasion. - You never know what they are up to, those Swedes...

HAHA :ROFLMAO:

But to be serious; 200 years ago that was a genuine possibillity, and that's why the law says that there must always be a regent/rigsforstander when the Monarch has left Danish soil.

Could Princess Benedikte not be rigsforstander for the few hours or so Joachim was over the border? I imagine he still held the title but could she have been the "designated survivor" so to speak and asked to stay in Copenhagen for a bit?

Could Princess Benedikte not be rigsforstander for the few hours or so Joachim was over the border? I imagine he still held the title but could she have been the "designated survivor" so to speak and asked to stay in Copenhagen for a bit?

Benedikte may not be in DK right now,
And in case the Germans took Joachim prisoner, QMII & Co would be back in DK by plane within a few hours.
Alternatively Joachim could have appointed (after talking to QMII on the phone) Mary as Rigsforstander. I still believe it will happen one day amd she's by now a pretty experienced royal.
But it's much easier to quietly bend the rules.

Benedikte may not be in DK right now,
And in case the Germans took Joachim prisoner, QMII & Co would be back in DK by plane within a few hours.
Alternatively Joachim could have appointed (after talking to QMII on the phone) Mary as Rigsforstander. I still believe it will happen one day amd she's by now a pretty experienced royal.
But it's much easier to quietly bend the rules.

No but I mean couldn't she, assuming Mary is otherwise pre-occupied, travel to Denmark from her home in Germany so that a rigsforstander is taken from the line of succession as a "designated survivor" the way the US preserves someone in line for the presidency? I imagine it doesn't pay anymore with technology now and Joachim doing what you mentioned (call the Queen and she arrives within a few hours)...

No but I mean couldn't she, assuming Mary is otherwise pre-occupied, travel to Denmark from her home in Germany so that a rigsforstander is taken from the line of succession as a "designated survivor" the way the US preserves someone in line for the presidency? I imagine it doesn't pay anymore with technology now and Joachim doing what you mentioned (call the Queen and she arrives within a few hours)...

Benedikte could indeed drive from Berleburg to Schackenborg to be stand-in for Joachim, while he is in Flensburg for an hour or so. That would pretty much ruin most of her Saturday.

But there is a little twist in this story. Dannebrog is currently in Saint Petersburg. QMII & Co actually held a press conference there today. And Dannebrog is Danish territory, even though the ship may be in a foreign port, so if we take this scenario pretty far out QMII could actually be back on Danish soil as fast as local traffic would allow. If she wasn't already. ;)

A clip from TV2: http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-43573969:løve-vender-hjem-efter-147-år.html?rss

Last edited:
A short video Joachim speaking German. Well, obviously its possible to rehearse a short speech in a foreign language therefore I dont know about Joachim's abilities eg when doing smalltalk but his pronounciation and fluency in this speach is very, very good, you almost cant tell that he isnt a native speaker
Prinz Joachim: Freundschaft zwischen Dänen und Deutschen | NDR.de - NDR 1 Welle Nord

Thanks.

He's good! Even though German is easy to pronounce.
Joachim has a pretty high level of proficiency in German.

11-09-2011 Prince Joachim reveals a memorial for Commander Hans Schack who lived from 1609 to 1676.

PPE gallery

11-09-2011 Prince Joachim reveals a memorial for Commander Hans Schack who lived from 1609 to 1676.

PPE gallery

Well, Joachim doing that can't be much more appropriate.
It was Hans Schack who was given the present Schackenborg as a kind of fief by the king for his services during the wars at that time.

Prince Joachim participated in the Goodwood Revival in England during the weekend [16/18 September] racing a classic Cortina Car, competing for the St Mary's Trophy. On Saturday 17 September, he and Princess Marie were guests of Lord March at the Goodwood Revival Ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom