Prince Joachim, Current Events Part 2: September 2005 - June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is P. Henrik not feeling well, or is just a timely thing to do now that he's over 75?

The article just said that he decided to step away from the position. It didn't mention his reasons. The news came from an official press release issued by the DRF. That press release also didn't state any particular reason. It very well could be due to Prince Henrik's age. This is a good job for Joachim to have, IMO. He can perform a lot of the duties from Schackenborg, and it is a great way for him to take on more responsibility. When Frederik becomes king, the two brothers will be able to work together with administering and granting the orders.

Does anyone know why Nicolae Ceauşescu has been given the order? Wasn't he the dictator of Romania? I can imagine why he had to give it back again though :)

Does anyone know why Nicolae Ceauşescu has been given the order? Wasn't he the dictator of Romania? I can imagine why he had to give it back again though :)

Protocol! :)
Without knowing all the "small print", it is standard procedure for state visits. Heads of state normally exchange the finest orders of their respective countries. I vaguely remember that the issue was publicly debated at the time of Ceausecu's visit, but as long as there are diplomatic relations with a country, I don't think it's possible to withhold an order just because you disagree with his/her politics!

Viv

Pics 22.9.2009

Prince Joachim on a walk with members of The Houting
Project, the second largest nature restoration project
in Denmark, September 22, 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** ppe gallery **

Here's a link to a website (in English) that talks about The Houting Project:
LIFE Houting-project - Background & objectives

Houting are a type of white fish that have had their habitats destroyed. This group seeks to restore the environments of the houting, specifically in four rivers in southwestern Denmark. Joachim participated in an event in Tonder, the city where he and Marie live for most of the year.

Prince Joachim of Denmark attends the opening of the World
Veterans Federation's 26th General Assembly on October 19,
2009 in Copenhagen, Denmark.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages **

Joaquim is totally engaged in talking with this gentleman. What a pity he's clipped his hair so short - it looked quite continental for a time.

Joaquim is totally engaged in talking with this gentleman. What a pity he's clipped his hair so short - it looked quite continental for a time.
What does continental mean in that context?

A more southern European style, a hairstyle that wasn't so short, but had more movement. He wore it this way on his trip to Russia with Marie, and also recently, through late summer, but cut it short again after opening of parliament.

I think it looks better that way, less severe.

Prince Joachim looks like he is in his element hunting. I like him much better in casual atttire (or in military uniform) than dressier things.

I think he looks every inch a prince in tails with his elephant sash and the like, as for gala occasions. He really looks elegant then.

Prince Joachim handed out the DI's InitiativPris (initiative prize)
of the Danish industry, Copenhagen, January 13, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Thank you for the photos. :flowers: I have to say looking at Pic 1 I see a resemblance between Joachim and Frederik for the fist time ever.

Prince Joachim visited the Danish Roadrunner teams for the annual
Shell Eco Race. The teams are students from he Danish Technological
University and has won several prizes through the years. Among the
other guests was Le mans winner Tom Kristensen, Copenhagen,
April 26, 2010:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Here is a link to an article: H.K.H. Prins Joachim på besøg hos de danske soldater i Kosovo og Libanon.

Telling about how Joachim recently visited the Danish KFOR forces in Pristina in Kosovo and the Danish UNIFIL contingent currently serving in Lebanon.

There are four pictures.

Joachim arrived Monday, along with Defence Chief Knud Bartels to Kosovo, where he visited the roughly 180 Danish soldiers there. The last remnants of the close to brigade size contingent in the former Jugoslavia.
Kosovo is still not that quiet but things have settled down much more in the recent year or so.
The Danes work closely with the French forces there.
Joachim also visited a camp outside Mitrovice. Kosovo has been de facto ethnic divided between Serbs and Albanians. In Pristina cars drive without number plates in case they have to enter either an Albanian or Serb zone. Or you might risk being stoned or worse. The number plates reveal where you come from and as such your ethneticity.

Tuesday, Joachim visited the Danish HQ company, (about 120 soldiers from airforce), in Lebanon. One has unfortunately been killed there, due to an accident.

Pic #1: Kosovo. Joachim is wearing a shirt from the airforce, but a beret from his regiment, Jutland Dragoon Regiment, in the army. The navy officer in the centre of the picture is the adjutant of the Defence Chief.
Being presented to the riot gear, that is sometimes needed in Pristina.
The officer standing next to the adjutant is a first lieutenant.

Pic #2: Lebanon. The officer standing slightly behind Joachim is no less than a full colonel, as such he formally outranks Joachim. But as Joachim, in this capacity, is the direct representative for Queen Margrethe, he outranks everybody else. It's a bit confusing... :p
My guess is that the soldier standing with the back to us is an Afghanistan veteran, due to his beard. Soldiers from the airforce also serve in Afghanistan.

Pic #3: Joachim is standing next to full general Knud Bartels, who is wearing the free fall jump wings.

Pic #4: Presumably in a helicopter. Joachim sitting next to Knud Bartels, who is wearing an additional set of jumpwings, they are not Danish however.

In case you are wondering, the safety of Joachim and Knud bartels is secured by bodyguards from FET, the Defence Intelligence Service.

The pictures can be used freely.

A short trip to China for Prince Joachim, seems to be a one-day-trip:

Prince Joachim and Vice President of Tsinghua University, Si Yuan stand with
winners of Danish bicycles at Tsinghua University campus on September 25,
2010. Prince Joachim presented 10 Danish bicycles from the Denmark World
Expo Pavillion to students as part of a green initiative with Tsinghua University
promoting the use of bicycles as a clean mode of transport.

Expo Pavillion to students as part of a green initiative with Tsinghua University

Thank you, Iceflower. :flowers:

These are citybikes, which have become a big success in Danish cities.

There are a number of bicycle stands dotted all over a city. To each stand are in the beginning locked a number of citybikes. The citybikes are very distinkt in there appearance to avoid theft.
So if you need some transportation you go to a stand and either insert a coin in the lock to unlock the bike. When you have used the bike, you either leave it somewhere, for someone else to use or preferably place the bike on a stand and lock it to the stand in order to get your coin back.
Repairs and general maintanaince is done almost for free by people in various municipal projects.
In order to keep costs down, there are adverts on the bike as well.
If you see a damaged bike somewhere you just call the municipality and inform them. The same thing applies if you see a bike locked with a private lock, then it's considered stolen and few will protest when the people from the municipality come with a wirecutter.
The system is based on sharing for the common good and social pressure in order to prevent theft.

Surprisingly the system works, and has been around for a number of years now. The relatively low costs in regards to theft and vandalism are outweighed by the benefits.

Quite far for a one day trip. He looks awkward with the t-shirt over the shirt & tie but I guess he had no choice.

I guess he had no choice.

I think so as well :D

Muhler, I know that citybike system from other cities and have heard about
similar successes, not everywhere of course. The funny thing is that China
was once called the land of bikes and now the Danes import those bikes,
but times have of course changed everywhere..

Joachim had a second event, he attended the opening ceremony of a Danish
costume exhibition in Beijing. The exhibition kicked off at the Prince Gong's
Mansion Saturday presenting costumes and artistic works that Danish Queen
Margrethe II designed for the movie Wild Swan.

What are they hunting ? I don't see any guns, but it sure does look cold

I'm not sure what exactly, lyndaW, but the fact that they didn't wear their
guns, maybe doesn't mean that they hadn't any with them..

Yesterday, November 15, Prince Joachim presented the National Network
of Business Leaders Network Price in Aarhus.

Here's a gallery with some pics of the event:

** netvaerksprisen.dk: Billeder fra Netværksdagen 2010 **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom