Prince Joachim and Princess Marie, Current Events 3: May - September 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am inclined to agree that this is not proving to be a good time for Marie. I am sure she is getting no advise except from her husband and as I have never really liked him I therefore going to say this is not working out for her. She seems like a nice girl though so she may start to look less like his protege soon

I am inclined to agree that this is not proving to be a good time for Marie. I am sure she is getting no advise except from her husband and as I have never really liked him I therefore going to say this is not working out for her. She seems like a nice girl though so she may start to look less like his protege soon

I don't know. Marie looks awfully happy in all of the photos we have seen of her. To me, it seems that things are going well for her. Perhaps after the newness of the marriage and role as princess wears off, her happiness may fade. I think it is too soon to tell.

It's something between old, ill and gaunt. He looks like a really heavy smoker with the habit taking quite visibly a toll on his skin or body. He gives a really unhealthy appearance with Marie next to him looking full of life.

Hasn't Marie been photographed with a cigarette?
Joachim is setting a very bad example for the two boys by his smoking and the Queen smoking -
His house must reek of cigarette smoke, his clothes, the furniture and curtains - and that stinky smell can permeate everything, even Marie's clothing. Smoking affects the skin, your teeth, your breathing, your overall health. It ages you prematurely - Joachim should be the poster boy for anti-smoking campaigns.
Maybe, in time, J will cut down on the smoking at Marie's insistance - especially if she has a baby.

Marie is a smoker along with Joachim. Thankfully the tell tale signs of heavy smoking haven't caught up with her yet like Joachim and Queen Margrethe who still looks lovely at times, but her teeth... yikes!:eek:

I believe that Marie will tackle some solo duties in the near future. But we also have to remember that she doesn't really have that much pressure as the second wife of the second son of a monarch. So basically she can relax.

Finally, as for her color choices, she looks great in deep rich and warm tones. Cool colors wouldn't do her justice.

Hasn't Marie been photographed with a cigarette?
Joachim is setting a very bad example for the two boys by his smoking and the Queen smoking -
His house must reek of cigarette smoke, his clothes, the furniture and curtains - and that stinky smell can permeate everything, even Marie's clothing. Smoking affects the skin, your teeth, your breathing, your overall health. It ages you prematurely - Joachim should be the poster boy for anti-smoking campaigns.
Maybe, in time, J will cut down on the smoking at Marie's insistance - especially if she has a baby.

Joachim's skin looks terrible. He is a walking advertisment for the anti-smoking people. He should really consider cutting back.

I believe they have a 6 year age difference....That would be a very young father with a very old daughter.
Still, he is a bit lined and cigarettes do not help but I would not say he looks old enough to be her father.......:whistling:

It's not that he looks that old. It's more the overall view of them. He is always dressed and groomed inpeccably and she... well, she looks like a teenager who just wears what she likes to whatever what occasion. There is something very naive/immature about her.

It's not that he looks that old. It's more the overall view of them. He is always dressed and groomed inpeccably and she... well, she looks like a teenager who just wears what she likes to whatever what occasion. There is something very naive/immature about her.

Yes, but she is in the "princess school". I have a feeling we will see her style become more mature over the next year.

I don't think Marie is naive at all. She seems to be a life loving, clever lady from France who knows exactly what she wants. Of course, she still has to learn but what I like about her is that she 's not trying to be perfect. She smokes, she's not too much into fashion and is an intelligent and confident woman-a bit like Margrete. Maybe that's what Joachim liked! :)

I beg to differ. I like her attitude that she is who she is and makes no bones about it.
Then again if she went on a shopping spree and was dripping couture people would talk. She looks down to earth, happy and simply dressed.
It is refreshing. Although I still love Mary's style and effort to always look impeccable, Marie is more "real" to me. I said this before but when it comes down to it, Marie is a gentleman farmer's wife and plays the part to perfection.:flowers:

Very interesting article. So according to these authors she is both pregnant and resisting her Danish lessons?

No, the translation is very bad. The article says, she and Joachim want's to have children and that she is studying hard learning the difficult Danish language.

Thanks, Lilla. I thought that the translation looked strange.

15-09-2008 Faenoe Prince Joachim and Princess Marie attended a dinner at Faenoe Castle with the Danish National Chef Team

PPE Agency

lovely ensemble for marie. the blouse looks very danish. can someone confirm the designer? the matching tie is indeed a cute gesture.

Sorry but the outifit is horrible, the blouse is horrible and that troussers and that jacket didn't match at all...:bang:

Sorry but the outifit is horrible, the blouse is horrible and that troussers and that jacket didn't match at all...:bang:
I agree with you that the blouse and treasures is not a great mix, but the blouse is very beautiful and she is stunning and simple

She should have worn a blazer coordinated to her trousers and it would have make a smart outfit for a day-time appointment. However for a Gala-dinner cooked by the best cooks of Denmark in a castle she could have dressed up a bit more. So IMHO she was definately underdressed, even if we discard the short coat as not having been there. It was okay at the concert at Schackenborg but it was out-of-place here.

But then: who really cares? The lady is HRH Princess Marie of Denmark, she is beautiful, warm-hearted and charming. So she is no fashion model, but then her husband is a farmer. IMHO she is seeking her own path through the jungle of society life and so far I'd prefer to meet her than those perfectly dressed society ladies I have encountered the last 25 years...

In her pre-wedding interviews Marie said that she loves fashion, so it's hard for me make sense out of her obvious "faux pas". But then Marie has an agenda, at least in my opinion.

IMHO she does not want to be compared to both Mary and Alexandra and fashion is a topic very much related to these two ladies. We don't know what Joachim thinks about this topic, but as he himself is always impeccably dressed I guess he has his own experiences with a utmost elegant wife and does not need to repeat them if Marie feels differently. As for Mary: I got the impression Marie likes her and the feeling is reciprocated. Thus I think Marie will spare her and herself the contest, especially as "fashion" is not a topic people in Denmark tend to enjoy.

I thought she said she wasn't really into fashion? If I am correct then it makes a heck of a lot of sense for her lack of "look". Her style is obviously way too under-casual and many times she looks extremely frumpy. But hey if she's comfortable then that is all that matters, right. I just wish she would find a nicely fitted pant and wear them for once because as of late her pants seem to be ill fitting and way too tight.

As for the event itself, it's good to see her finally out and about, but I would like to see her tackle official events alone for once as well as make a long speech in Danish. I mean, it is about time already.

Last edited:
She should have worn a blazer coordinated to her trousers and it would have make a smart outfit for a day-time appointment. However for a Gala-dinner cooked by the best cooks of Denmark in a castle she could have dressed up a bit more. So IMHO she was definately underdressed, even if we discard the short coat as not having been there. It was okay at the concert at Schackenborg but it was out-of-place here.

But then: who really cares? The lady is HRH Princess Marie of Denmark, she is beautiful, warm-hearted and charming. So she is no fashion model, but then her husband is a farmer. IMHO she is seeking her own path through the jungle of society life and so far I'd prefer to meet her than those perfectly dressed society ladies I have encountered the last 25 years...

In her pre-wedding interviews Marie said that she loves fashion, so it's hard for me make sense out of her obvious "faux pas". But then Marie has an agenda, at least in my opinion.

IMHO she does not want to be compared to both Mary and Alexandra and fashion is a topic very much related to these two ladies. We don't know what Joachim thinks about this topic, but as he himself is always impeccably dressed I guess he has his own experiences with a utmost elegant wife and does not need to repeat them if Marie feels differently. As for Mary: I got the impression Marie likes her and the feeling is reciprocated. Thus I think Marie will spare her and herself the contest, especially as "fashion" is not a topic people in Denmark tend to enjoy.
I do not agree with all your comments.
First, it was not a gala dinner, it was a show/presentation dinner - according to the official calendar. We don't know how formal/informal it was. And whether Marie was under-dressed or not. (To me she looks well dressed and I like the blouse.)
Second, her husband is not just a farmer, first of all he is a prince. She has to keep up to the royal standard.
Third, it is my personal impression that people in DK enjoy the topic "fashion".

But I agree that Marie probably doesn't want to be compared with A&M. She seems to know her place and has no intention to start a contest - which adds to my good opinion of her (she is not Sarah Ferguson after all :)).
I think she is still trying to find her own way/style which should be adequate for her new role but at the same time comfortable for her personality.
IMO the "business lady at day, barbie princess at night" style of Alexandra - which I personally always detested - would not suit her at all. To me it seems as if Marie is somewhere between Mary's modern and more unusual style and Alexandra's conservative (not to say old-fashioned) style.

As for the event itself, it's good to see her finally out and about, but I would like to see her tackle official events alone for once as well as make a long speech in Danish. I mean, it is about time already.
There was an article in Billed-Bladet which stated that she will not take over patronages any time soon. So I think we will see her more out and about with Joachim. And no long speeches in Danish, she is still learning the language. Obviously the court does not think it is about time. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the Princesses do the whole "Business lady by day, Barbie princess by night" number, so it obviously doesn't simply apply to the Countess alone.

Second, so far, in my opinion, Marie hasn't kept up with royal standards as of late, in the truest sense. She has and as the court has said, has no plans on tackling events solo. As a royal representative, or any for that matter, one would expect a person in that rep position to perform a duty...solo. Not just accompanying her man every single time. Yes, I am fully aware that she may not be all that comfortable speaking Danish nor taking on any patronages of her own as of late, but my heavens it's the middle of September already. When will she feel comfy? At this point, I doubt she will in the near future hence by 2011.

So, if she wants to stand by her man and only attend official events with him then at least she could do is look the part and not look so frumpy all the time. By the way, how much are she and her husband receiving again from the taxpayers?

I totally agree! An awful combination. The blouse is really ugly, IMO.

All of the Princesses do the whole "Business lady by day, Barbie princess by night" number, so it obviously doesn't simply apply to the Countess alone.
It does not apply to the countess alone, but I disagree, not all princesses do this particular kind of fashion number.
Second, so far, in my opinion, Marie hasn't kept up with royal standards as of late, in the truest sense. She has and as the court has said, has no plans on tackling events solo. As a royal representative, or any for that matter, one would expect a person in that rep position to perform a duty...solo. Not just accompanying her man every single time. Yes, I am fully aware that she may not be all that comfortable speaking Danish nor taking on any patronages of her own as of late, but my heavens it's the middle of September already. When will she feel comfy? At this point, I doubt she will in the near future hence by 2011.

So, if she wants to stand by her man and only attend official events with him then at least she could do is look the part and not look so frumpy all the time. By the way, how much are she and her husband receiving again from the taxpayers?
Joachim's apanage increased with 900.000 DKK upon his marriage - not that much if you ask me.
On the one hand I understand your concerns but on the other I have questions like: When did Alexandra perform her first duties alone, when did she give her first long speeches in Danish? This is not a rhetorical question, I would really like to have an answer. IIRC she took her first patronage (Girls Choir) in June 1996, more than half a year after the wedding, so I don't see a problem with Marie having none after not yet 4 months.

And, by the way, when did Letizia, future queen of Spain, attend her first solo events? It might very well be Marie&Joachim will follow in the Spanish couple's footsteps, they still have to convince the Danes of their love and marriage (according to a poll ~50% think they will divorce).

I don't think Marie has reached the royal standard yet - and I didn't say so, but I think it's too soon to judge.
And I really don't think she looks frumpy all the time. :flowers:

The lady is HRH Princess Marie of Denmark, she is beautiful, warm-hearted and charming. So she is no fashion model, but then her husband is a farmer. IMHO she is seeking her own path through the jungle of society life and so far I'd prefer to meet her than those perfectly dressed society ladies I have encountered the last 25 years... thank you, jo of palatine, lovely sentiments, well said:flowers:

....but i'm not digging the outfit, it looks like something i'd wear to my historical society meeting, OMG i just realized....i look frumpy:eek:. joachim looks dapper, very nice- gosh he just seems to be so happy and "glowy" (best word i can come up with, sorry ;) The jacket IMO looks like a raincoat, this new style of high pants tucked in IMO does no woman any favors in the flattering department, marie's just a wisp of a woman and it puts 10 lbs on her middle JMO
lovely color on her and it's sweet with the tie thing matching. if i were going to a chef tasting i would have worn something loose, so i could eat, eat, eat.

i like marie and don't blame her for wanting to take her time and get the lay of the land before jumping in with both feet. Her husband adores her, they have a lovely life in the country, beautiful s-sons, and a lot of changes in a short time, i'm sure she's doing the best she can(JMO)

marie has a certain style, simple and charming, chic but this isn't a good example of her taste

"Business lady by day, Barbie princess by night":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: exact job description for a tough role (not to mention big shoes to fill and a sister in law with a BIG shadow)

Marie should really start doing something by now. It's almost a year since she became engaged and what does she have to show for?? Rien du tout, nothing, zero. She should have been in the Princess school a year ago, not after being married for 4 months. I don't want to sound like I am having the knives out for her, because I don't, but, woman sort yourself out and DO something. She is playing the coy little girl, but she's a grown up adult. I can understand that her Danish isn't perfect, but hey, most Danish people speak English I suppose, so she could go out and do engagements on her own. Sooner or later she will be pregnant and that will give her another year or so for doing nothing!!

Marie is not the Crown Princess, she will never have Mary's workload. She will probably have a role more like the wives of second sons of monarch's. Mostly joint appearances and limited solo roles. Also when Alexandra married into the Danish Royal House, I think she was treated like the Crown Princess. Being the first younger princess in decades. About her fashion, I liked the outfit. It seemed appropriate for the occasion and the matching tie was a nice touch.

Well fashion apart I also think that she should start to do something!!!! To me being a Royal is a job these days, Royals need to work for their country, having benefits for that yes but they need to to something. Not only having good homes, good castles and sitting all day doing nothing!!! They live because the country says so and because the country supports them so they need to give something back. Marie is married to a royal so she has lots of advantages, she has a good live, she doesn't work, she doesn't support herself, so she needs to give back to those who support her luxurious live:cool:

i think she just needs some time to decide what she will concentrate on. it's just normal that this process is taking longer than it did for mary, for example, or for alexandra. marie is just the princess, and also, let's not forget, second wife. the expectations of the first princess in years have been covered by alexandra and now mary takes on quite a huge workload because she is the crown princess (which alexandra reduced when frederik married). marie has none of these 'expectations' and probably not much staff to sort out requests and activities for her to do. i'm also waiting impatiently to see what she decides to cover in her role, but also quite understanding of the fact that her role may not be such. marie may be more suited to be along her husband and support his activities instead of taking on completely new ones as well or may not be given a list of patronages such as mary has, that's something the danish court will decide and we just have to wait to see what happens.
in any case, i'm sure she will do a good job. she has only been married for 3 months, which included her honeymoon and the royal summer vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom