Prince Joachim and Princess Marie, Current Events 3: May - September 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are spending their vacation in France.

They are spending their vacation in France.

Joachim and Marie are in France now but I was referring to the rest of the Royal families (Belgium, Luxenbourg,Sweden,Greece,Spain etc) who will soon flood the vacation spots. They will all be in bathing suits, espadrilles,straw hats and smile for the photo shoots.

I'm referring specifically to awkward photos like this one:
http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/9941/gas202999602151dc3axr1.jpg
And that ghastly photo shoot Mary and Fred released where he's trying to love on her neck and she's making love to the camera with her eyes
they're just kind of icky. Like they're trying to prove something
I don't see any of the other royal houses releasing things like this
Vacation photos, fine.
These poses with roses and what not, meh. not for me.

I do not know envoy, I see nothing wrong with that photo. They are newlyweds and she looks lovely. They are on their own time,the weather is beautiful the sun shines the flowers are gorgeous, heck if I were there perhaps I'd do the same thing.
I am not sure I know which photo of Mary & Frederick you are referring to so I cannot say if I found it icky on not.

Prince Joachim and Princess Marie of Denmark on holidays with his children in Chateu Caix . July 7 2008.

They are such a charming family. The little dog that appears in two of the photos is adorable. It looks like they are all having a great time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Joachim and Princess Marie looked nice together. Nothing surprising here ... the newlyweds are in France after all. The photos seem a bit artificial, but they are all right.

What is cheesy about them? All Royals will be posing within the month at their summer vacation homes in similar photo shoots.
Actually I think it's a bit strange that Joachim & Marie are doing a photo shoot during their holidays in France.
Because, besides royal family photo shoots like e.g. the annual Graasten or Mallorca photo shoots, usually only the regents and some of the heirs do that kind of thing. Frederik and Mary never did a photo shoot during their summer holidays except when in Graasten with the rest of the family. And I don't quite see why Joachim has to do it. Did Konstantin&Laurentien, Laurent&Claire ever do a summer (or winter) holiday photo shoot (I mean when all on their own)?

I think Joachim & Marie are a nice couple and I hope Joachim really has found happiness this time but some of the pictures as well as the photo shoot itself (so soon after the maaany pre-wedding photo shoots) are "too much" for me.

Last edited:
Well I think these kind of photos shoot are useful to create good relations between royals and people... we all like to see what are they doing during their holidays and like to feel that they are a bit ours!!!! I think is very useful to have photos like these. Also that kissing photo I think they didn't do that on purporse they did that and the camera catch that moment, normal things couples do!

Actually I think it's a bit strange that Joachim & Marie are doing a photo shoot during their holidays in France.
Because, besides royal family photo shoots like e.g. the annual Graasten or Marbella photo shoots, usually only the regents and some of the heirs do that kind of thing. Frederik and Mary never did a photo shoot during their summer holidays except when in Graasten with the rest of the family. And I don't quite see why Joachim has to do it. Did Konstantin&Laurentien, Laurent&Claire ever do a summer (or winter) holiday photo shoot (I mean when all on their own)?

I think Joachim & Marie are a nice couple and I hope Joachim really has found happiness this time but some of the pictures as well as the photo shoot itself (so soon after the maaany pre-wedding photo shoots) are "too much" for me.

i'm not a big fan myself of royals making photoshoots for magazines and acting like holywoodians rather than royals, but i can't understand your statement, with all due respect:

Frederik and Mary never did a photo shoot during their summer holidays except when in Graasten with the rest of the family

while they didn't do one in graasten specifically, they did a whole bunch of other photoshoots in other castles and places that had much more media display than this one, and it was just after their wedding as well. how can one be correct because it has been shot in (for example) fredensborg and this one in graasten is subject of critiques?

i loved the photoshoot. i think it was extremely relaxed and down to earth: no make-up, no fancy outfits, no fancy photographers - just a peek into their everyday lives and holidays.

while they didn't do one in graasten specifically, they did a whole bunch of other photoshoots in other castles and places that had much more media display than this one, and it was just after their wedding as well.
They did? Could you give evidence, please.
M&F were photographed on many occasions, they made a long official visit to Greenland and an official summercruise where there were lots of pictures taken, of course. A lot of paparazzi pictures were taken as well.
But when did they do a photoshoot like that during their holidays just after their wedding?
AFAIR the first holiday photo shoot they did was the one in Australia in 2006, followed by the one in Switzerland in 2007. In summer there were only the family gatherings in Graasten, and a trip to Legoland last year. (I am not talking about photo-shoots in connection with official visits, birth/christenings or birthdays.)

Besides, Frederik is the heir to the throne, Joachim is not. There is no necessity for him to do this kind of thing but unlike his brother he seems to like the media attention.

(Apart from that here is one correction: Joachim & Marie are on holiday in Caix, France. The pictures were taken there, not in Graasten. The larger family gathers in Graasten every year and then family pictures are taken there. That's a tradition.)

Last edited:
Besides, Frederik is the heir to the throne, Joachim is not. There is no necessity for him to do this kind of thing but unlike his brother he seems to like the media attention.

Very true ricarda. Although the pics are nice this was the first thing that came to my mind. Why from Joachim? I hope they were not paid for their agreement because this looks exactly like one of these nice celebrity happy family shoots from Hola or Hello etc. There is no reason for the second in line to the throne to show off his family and holiday home as if he was an actor or footballer. There should be certain bounderies for royalty - the limit is wherever the monarch (& rest of the family) or the heir and his family are involved. The rest is celebrity posing - yes, in a nice manner but still showing off without any deeper reason.

I guess they chose to kiss each other that way knowing they were being photographed for the media so I still call it an overshare. It was a looong photo shoot. Oh well, apparently they're not sick of the photographers yet!

I may be wrong but Alexandra & Joachim had taken photos in the castle during their vacation in France in years past.
I truly cannot understand why some of us get so pertrubed to see one couple kiss while we applaud the other for all their lovey dovey expressions during more official settings?

If we take J&M in this context, it may be due to the fact that they are ususally photographed kissing, hugging, touching, giving loving looks and gestures... not that there is anything wrong with it. However, I can understand why some would scream, "Okay! We get it!! You're in love!" Or not.

Personally it doesn't phase me anymore... in fact I expect it by now. If they stopped I may begin to believe that something is actually wrong.

Too much of a good thing can be as bad as too much of a bad thing. Abundance of photographed loving gestures can be interpreted as desperate attempts to prove that Prince Joachim has found his true soul mate. Additionally, nobility usually avoid displaying affections in public.

exactly.. .which perhaps explains why people get excited when they see accidental loving looks and gestures of other royals in the course of their normal work, and people like me are more weirded out by the posed nature of these public displays of affection.

Too much of a good thing can be as bad as too much of a bad thing. Abundance of photographed loving gestures can be interpreted as desperate attempts to prove that Prince Joachim has found his true soul mate. Additionally, nobility usually avoid displaying affections in public.

Very true.

I'm glad they are happy together, but once their vacation is over I hope to see Marie attend more official events in the future as well as speaking Danish publicly.

:)

Just wanted to say the same GT :)
There hasn't been much going on since marriage, ok, it's honeymoon and vacation time but when I look at the pictures I have the slight impression that they enjoy the french easy lifestyle on their wine estate very much, much more perhaps than doing some dull and boring duties in cold Denmark. I hope the danish lessons have not been put on hold completely and that there will be something for Marie that can be called an agenda soon. She's a danish princess and that shouldn't come for free.

I believe she is still practicing on a daily basis and we may hear her speak soon. Summertime tends to be slow for most royals including the DRF. So far not much is on schedule and for J&M there is absolutely nothing. Perhaps something will come up later this month; however, later on this summer we may see them again on holiday at Grasten. Once fall hits things should pick up for the couple... or not. Who knows.

:)

Just wanted to say the same GT :)
There hasn't been much going on since marriage, ok, it's honeymoon and vacation time but when I look at the pictures I have the slight impression that they enjoy the french easy lifestyle on their wine estate very much, much more perhaps than doing some dull and boring duties in cold Denmark. I hope the danish lessons have not been put on hold completely and that there will be something for Marie that can be called an agenda soon. She's a danish princess and that shouldn't come for free.

Considering that most of July/beginning of August is summer holiday time in Denmark, (and not just for royals, either) I wouldn't count on seeing much public events until August/September. :whistling:

There was an interesting piece on potential LIWs for Marie in Billedbladet, but it was pointed out that Alexandra did not get her first lady in waiting until a year after she'd married, and the administrator of Prince Joachim's court said that there is no news about it. (Billedbladet's three suggestions are Britt Siesbye, Benedikte Darsberg or Henriette Steenstrup)

As for the Danish - considering she's holidaying with two boys who probably prefers to converse with each other and their father in that language, it seems likely that she might get some practice in. But Joachim has mentioned on a couple of occasions that he wish for Felix and Nicolai to be fluent in French… so it is probably a toss-up in the family between whose language-learning to prioritize :ROFLMAO:

i realise I am a bit slow on these royal proceedings but I only just realised that much of a who-haa was made of Mary when she became engaged to Frederik because she was to become CROWN Princess....less of a deal was made of Marie because she was the second wife of the second son, so only a "Princess" (only, hah, I wish!!)...So at King Frederik and Queen Mary's coronation her role may expand as a Senior Royal...but still not a Crown Princess...because young Crown Prince Christian will be the order of the day...If I am totally wrong there, then I truly am lost and I don't get these royal protocols ;)

i Royal...but still not a Crown Princess...because young Crown Prince Christian will be the order of the day...If I am totally wrong there, then I truly am lost and I don't get these royal protocols ;)

Goodness, yes Prince Christian will become CP when in the very distant future his father becomes King of Danemark.
Prince Joachim is now 4th in line and will be even further down the line when Pr Christian and Pr Isabella marry and produce heirs.
P Marie will fade further and further away as the children grow, marry and become parents themselves.

They did? Could you give evidence, please.
M&F were photographed on many occasions, they made a long official visit to Greenland and an official summercruise where there were lots of pictures taken, of course. A lot of paparazzi pictures were taken as well.
But when did they do a photoshoot like that during their holidays just after their wedding?
AFAIR the first holiday photo shoot they did was the one in Australia in 2006, followed by the one in Switzerland in 2007. In summer there were only the family gatherings in Graasten, and a trip to Legoland last year. (I am not talking about photo-shoots in connection with official visits, birth/christenings or birthdays.)

(Apart from that here is one correction: Joachim & Marie are on holiday in Caix, France. The pictures were taken there, not in Graasten. The larger family gathers in Graasten every year and then family pictures are taken there. That's a tradition.)

i'm not talking about photographs on their officia events such as greenland or the summercruise. they did the vogue photoshoot together and mary did a couple on her own. all their photoshoots were very much commented in these forums and i believe most of the members acquainted with the danish royal family will remember them. this was just within months of getting married. you can find threads in the royal library, i believe.

Excuse my ignorance on this topic, but how are Ladies In Waiting selected? Will Marie make this decision on her own, or is the decision made for her by a Danish court or other members of the Royal Family?

I don't know why but there is something affected on these photos. J&M are in love I'm sure but I don't see this on this photos. Maybe because that's Marie's first photosession from holidays and she try to be perfect to hard...
That's only my opinion.

Excuse my ignorance on this topic, but how are Ladies In Waiting selected? Will Marie make this decision on her own, or is the decision made for her by a Danish court or other members of the Royal Family?

I am not sure but I doubt Marie will make a choice. The ladies in waiting have to be acquainted with the protocol of the Court and able to assist her. It is going to be perfect if they are close to her age and become friends, but I doubt this is a basis to start from (friendship) but rather get to.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been on vacation for a week.

Thanks so much for the great pictures! It's so wonderful to see them happy and enjoying themselves. Joachim and Marie seem very much in love, and the boys seem to be very comfortable with their step-mother, and she with them.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a small photoshoot. It's nice to see the family, without seeing them ALL THE TIME. Also, they're probably trying to tell people "Hey- we love being married. See how great our life is!". Also, people would be complaining if we didn't see them (*She says, remembering Prince Christian's birthday- what a pain all the complaining was!*). So, I'd rather see them than not.

Yes I have the same opinion I rather see them then not! So to me is wonderful these photoshoot I hope they do them many times during the year!!!

Yes I have the same opinion I rather see them then not! So to me is wonderful these photoshoot I hope they do them many times during the year!!!

I also agree. I like seeing them on a regular basis. Although, I do prefer the shots where they don't appear to be posed in a "we are so in love" pose. I don't doubt their love for each other, but I just prefer the more natural-looking photos of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom