Prince Joachim and Marie Cavallier, Current Events 2: May 2007 - May 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I would be annoyed, too. I mean: the press guys got their pictures ; now they should leave them alone.
Lovely pictures, by the way!

In the second picture from the Hello article, the oldest son looks kind of annoyed by her presence. I wonder if he is just making a wierd face, or if he truly doesn't care for Marie.

I think it's just that he's 8 years old and would much rather be skiing than posing for photographers. He also may be at a phase where he doesn't want to be seen being hugged or kissed by a motherly-figure. He's looked happy with her before, and Felix looks very happy to be with her, although that may just be because he's younger, or just has a different personality.

What language does Marie use when she talks to the princes? Are they bilingual? Danish and English? Otherwise they would have a problem if her Danish knowledge is as bad as some here have suggested.
But she has known them for quite some time now, Joachim can't have interpreted between them for years?

Any ideas?

What language does Marie use when she talks to the princes? Are they bilingual? Danish and English? Otherwise they would have a problem if her Danish knowledge is as bad as some here have suggested.
But she has known them for quite some time now, Joachim can't have interpreted between them for years?

Any ideas?
I believe they communicate in English.

Felix and Nikolai's French is not quite up to par yet, according to an interview with Joachim from this summer, although they're learning. Also, the boys lived next to their English-speaking grandparents at Schackenborg from birth until the divorce, and have spent time with them afterwards as well.

Any ideas?

Perhaps the boys speak English, since I don't think their mother's side of the family knows Danish? Or maybe the know French. They were speaking in the video, I'm pretty sure I heard Danish although that might have been the photographers speaking to Joachim. Maybe Marie knows more Danish than we give her credit for, although I don't expect her to be fluent yet.

I also thought that I head the boys speaking Danish in the video, although they could have been speaking to the photographers or their father.

It was nice to see the photographer hang up one of the boys and put him in the rigth position!!!!It shows that the relationship between Joaquim and the media is good!It was a very nice day to be in the slopes.
Marie was anaswer in wich language?I cannot hear what she is saying....I would love to know what she was saying, someone can translate?

It was nice to see the photographer hang up one of the boys and put him in the rigth position!!!!It shows that the relationship between Joaquim and the media is good!It was a very nice day to be in the slopes.
Marie was anaswer in wich language?I cannot hear what she is saying....I would love to know what she was saying, someone can translate?

Marie was talking in English about Felix at ski school. She was asked in English, though.

Felix is really cute when he talks about how he'll be skiing, and when he asks his nanny for her autograph :lol:

thanks for the video, they look like they are very happy and having a wonderful vacation. it sounded like in some parts marie was speaking french to joachim (at the first) but switched to engish when asked a question in english. she said she wasn't living in denmark until after they get married, it's a surprise who is designing her dress "you'll know when the time comes", she has had a couple of danish lessons (but wouldn't say anything in danish,) but is enjoying learning a new language "but it's difficult". it's a happy family time and i'm not sure but i think she said they were doing their own cooking? ?? and she is no longer working.
she looked pretty and was charming with with her answers, i think she did very good for a beginner in the "royal interviews". the boys are so cute, it's a pleasure watching them grow up. i've never seen joachim look happier.

Yes I think she did really well in this interview..I don't know why but I liked her!

I thought I saw Marie saying something to Nikolai, but I couldn't tell what language he spoke in. She seems very sweet with the boys. Felix also seems to be more open towards the cameras than his brother. He was talking and laughing with them.

Very cute video! Marie is charming in this video.

Well, Marie came off o.k. with the press in the video. (they ask such stupid questions!!) I'm still not to sure of her for some reason. there is just something about her that I can not put my finger on. She seemed annoyed when Joachim gave her the first kiss and then the press guys asked for another one. when Joachim pulled her towards him, she seemed "really annoyed".
He has that look about him when he looks at Marie, which is the same look Alexandra had on her wedding day looking at him. I know that does not make sense, but I don't know how to explain it. It's like one person is "truely, deeply, madly in love" with the other person, and the other person is just "in love".
Whatever the case, everyone looks happy. So good for them.

Yes I think she did really well in this interview..I don't know why but I liked her!

I did too. I had the same impression that I got in her engagement interview, kind, natural, unassuming, etc.

She didn't seem overly thrilled with the attention, though. Kind of strange for a woman that couldn't wait to talk to the press before her engagement. Maybe the reality of royal life is starting to dawn on her.

Joachim was interviewed in the summer about his French relatives and the children playing with the cousins on that side. He said the children communicate with each other in English as his children's French isn't up to the level they need yet. So I am sure Marie speaks to them in English. Maybe some French as they are learning like she is learning Danish. I bet her and Joachim speak French.

I see a wiser Marie in this interview, her innocence was lost after the early media encounters and she saw how she was portrayed. I think she will do fine as a royal, she has her short answer replies all set to respond.

I see a wiser Marie in this interview, her innocence was lost after the early media encounters and she saw how she was portrayed. I think she will do fine as a royal, she has her short answer replies all set to respond.

I noticed the short answers too. A lot of simple "yeses". She may not be learning much Danish, but I think she's learning fast how to deal with the press.

Joachim is much more impressive in videos than he is in photographs. He seems kind of sexy in videos (nice voice, etc). In pictures he seems stiff and kind of harsh.

There's something appealing about Marie, also, that shows up in videos but does not translate to pictures. So the two have that in common.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaia, you have an excellent point. Maybe she feels like she can't trust the press, or maybe she has become annoyed with their persistence. I still find her to be charming, but I can definitely see why she would be annoyed.

A video from Her&Nu
HER&NU :: Joachim og Marie på skitur
All the best Mitchell

Thanks for the video, Mitchell.

However, I find it very interesting that Marie admitted that she only had a few Danish lessons. Hop to it Marie because in less than seven months the Rev. will be speaking at your service, and it would actually help that you understand every single word he says.

:cool:Jus' sayin...

Maybe she feels like she can't trust the press, or maybe she has become annoyed with their persistence. I still find her to be charming, but I can definitely see why she would be annoyed.

Of course she can't, well, to a point. I mean, the Danish press isn't like the British or American. The Danish press overall, treats their public figures with kid gloves compared the previous mentioned countries. Since the beginning they have been very good to Marie, and she played up to it.

Unfortunately, Marie has to play the game. Clearly, she was annoyed and her snippy attitude was obvious. If she wants to be in good graces with the public as well as the press she better change her behavior, stop with the one word answers hence "yes", "no", "I don't know", and put a faux smile on her face. Otherwise they will turn on her and that is something the DRF does not need... even if she is married to the second son, and is the second wife. She is and will be, even moreso, a public figure. She said yes to the Prince, but she also said yes to the Danish people, public life, and the press. In the end, that means playing the game. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
However, I find it very interesting that Marie admitted that she only had a few Danish lessons. Hop to it Marie because in less than seven months the Rev. will be speaking at your service, and it would actually help that you understand every single word he says.

Of course she can't, well, to a point. I mean, the Danish press isn't like the British or American. The Danish press overall, treats their public figures with kid gloves compared the previous mentioned countries. Since the beginning they have been very good to Marie, and she played up to it.

Unfortunately, Marie has to play the game. Clearly, she was annoyed and her snippy attitude was obvious. If she wants to be in good graces with the public as well as the press she better change her behavior, stop with the one word answers hence "yes", "no", "I don't know", and put a faux smile on her face. Otherwise they will turn on her and that is something the DRF does not need... even if she is married to the second son, and is the second wife. She is and will be, even moreso, a public figure. She said yes to the Prince, but she also said yes to the Danish people, public life, and the press. In the end, that means playing the game. Plain and simple.

Very well said. As Marie will live on the expense of the Danish taxpayers and her husband is second in line of the throne - just a thought, we are all mortal and something could happen to Fred, God forbid - therefore it's her obligation to learn Danish and to adapt to her new life in the best possible way. Marie should not make the mistake and think that she can adopt Henrik's attitude or his way of dealing with things ... there is something about her that I find just a bit too bold, as if it hasn't completely sunk in with her what she's getting into here.

Actually Joachim is no longer second in line, at the moment he is 4th.
Frederik - Christian - Isabella - Joachim

I personally feel that some members' expectations are a little bit too high. The poor girl is not even married yet and already criticized for not trying hard enough?

Joachim's new wife will never play a similiar role in Denmark as his first one did. Marie's role will be more like the role of Laurentien in NL or Claire in BE. Alexandra played a - for the wife of the 2nd son - unusually important role in DK because Frederik was unmarried then and she was the first young princess since a long time.

I am sure Marie knows what she is up to, I am sure she is trying hard to learn the language and I am sure she will be worth the taxpayers' money. We just have to give her time to find her way (which will be different than that of Alexandra or Mary).
I don't see Marie as naive or bold nor do I see her as very calculating on the other side. But I actually think she handled the media very well so far and she is a woman of 32 who seems to know what she wants and what she is doing.

Also, I think it's quite unfair to use Henrik as a negative role model just because of his inability to loose his strong accent. What do you know about his attitude or how hard he tried to learn the language?

I mean, the Danish press isn't like the British or American. The Danish press overall, treats their public figures with kid gloves compared the previous mentioned countries. Since the beginning they have been very good to Marie, and she played up to it.
This is a generalization. Danish media like Se&Hor or Ekstrabladet don't treat their public figures with kid gloves. And some things have already been written about Marie that weren't too good (party-princess, wildcat...).
IMO DK is a small country with an oversized media-landscape and a limited number of celebs. So, the focus of the media is on the royal family. It isn't that easy for Marie (or Mary, Frederik and Joachim).

Last edited:
Actually Joachim is no longer second in line, at the moment he is 4th.
Frederik - Christian - Isabella - Joachim

My mistake, I forgot about the kids. Nevertheless her role could become much more important than planned in case of such a scenario.

Hendrik is from a different generation therefore the comparison might be lacking at bit; however in my opinion Marie should have had daily danish lessons from the day Joachim proposed as speaking the language of the country she'll live in as good as possible is part of deal when marrying a danish prince. I don't mind a strong accent but what I do mind is no effort. Learning danish would actually be priority #1 on my list if I was in her shoes - but maybe that's just me. Marie should have been able to say something in danish when she was presented to the press, even if it was just a silly sentence, and should have improved her skills dramatically in the meantime and I don't find this a too high expectation.

My mistake, I forgot about the kids. Nevertheless her role could become much more important than planned in case of such a scenario.

Hendrik is from a different generation therefore the comparison might be lacking at bit; however in my opinion Marie should have had daily danish lessons from the day Joachim proposed as speaking the language of the country she'll live in as good as possible is part of deal when marrying a danish prince. I don't mind a strong accent but what I do mind is no effort. Learning danish would actually be priority #1 on my list if I was in her shoes - but maybe that's just me. Marie should have been able to say something in danish when she was presented to the press, even if it was just a silly sentence, and should have improved her skills dramatically in the meantime and I don't find this a too high expectation.

Since Marie is fluent in other languages perhaps she will be ready by the time she becomes a Danish citizen. Until then I don't think she needs to prove anything to the media about how she is progressing in her studies. A wedding is stressful enough without being media nit-picked in the months ahead of the big day.

I cannot heard the interview, can someone please inform me what was asked?Thank you in advance.

I personally feel that some members' expectations are a little bit too high. The poor girl is not even married yet and already criticized for not trying hard enough?

Joachim's new wife will never play a similiar role in Denmark as his first one did. Marie's role will be more like the role of Laurentien in NL or Claire in BE. Alexandra played a - for the wife of the 2nd son - unusually important role in DK because Frederik was unmarried then and she was the first young princess since a long time.

I am sure Marie knows what she is up to, I am sure she is trying hard to learn the language and I am sure she will be worth the taxpayers' money. We just have to give her time to find her way (which will be different than that of Alexandra or Mary).

Exactly.

Besides, it's all a matter of linguistic debate as well. She has had "a few" Danish lessons. We don't know how much she puts into the expression. The court has had a lesson plan for Alexandra and Mary, but we don't know whether or not they're following the same system for Marie.

We know that Mary's Danish education was fairly extensive, but her role was from the get-go very different from what Marie's will be.

People comment on the sum of money for Marie, and how she has to be worth it for the Danish taxpayers… how do we determine whether or not she is worth it, especially before we know how much money she will actually get (or Joachim will get for her, as the spouses don't really get anything.) and how can we judge it before after she has actually said "Ja" to Joachim in May... ?

I do understand that Danish is an hard language to learn but Marie & Joachim have been together for quite some time now, I suppose that I am wondering if it ever accured to her that if she was ever to take the relationship to the next level, she should learn his native tongue? I would think that after some time it would dawn on her that she might want to marry him and thus become a Danish citizen, therefore have to learn the language. Keep in mind these are just my opinions.

I'm sorry to say this, but it seems that some people are taking my perspectives a tad too personally. Furthermore, I'm amazed at those who vehemently believe that moving or visiting another country, barely learning your new home country's language, and receiving money that essentially supports you and your family for official functions, that it's okay not to make an early effort demostrating that you are trying to blend in. Is the notion of respect and honor for others simply archaic in some people's minds?

Logically in this day and age is that okay? And why the excuses? So is it okay for one not to earn their keep? If so, explain.

Why is it okay for Marie (or anybody else for that matter including those who move to the US) to take the lax way? Yet others who move to Denmark are required to master the language in order to work? Do those who live in Denmark give a free pass when it comes to their public representatives and so-to-be?

Why? Please explain?

Honestly, it boggles my mind to know there are some who just cannot seem to grasp it. It's not like Marie is moving to the US where the three major languages are English, Spanish, and Mandarin, and thus can get away with lazily blending in. We give jobs to those who can barely put a sentence together including Europeans who move to the States. It's Denmark for heaven's sake... a strong country with less than 7 million people, one official language, and a royal family that is essentially supported by the masses.

Very well said. As Marie will live on the expense of the Danish taxpayers and her husband is second in line of the throne - just a thought, we are all mortal and something could happen to Fred, God forbid - therefore it's her obligation to learn Danish and to adapt to her new life in the best possible way. Marie should not make the mistake and think that she can adopt Henrik's attitude or his way of dealing with things ... there is something about her that I find just a bit too bold, as if it hasn't completely sunk in with her what she's getting into here.

Hello! Thank you! I'm still shocked by those who cannot seem to grasp such simple logic.

This is a generalization. Danish media like Se&Hor or Ekstrabladet don't treat their public figures with kid gloves. And some things have already been written about Marie that weren't too good (party-princess, wildcat...).
IMO DK is a small country with an oversized media-landscape and a limited number of celebs. So, the focus of the media is on the royal family. It isn't that easy for Marie (or Mary, Frederik and Joachim).

No, it's not. Denmark's press (which includes on-air, internet, and so forth) is very laxed including their tabloids.

Last edited:
Furthermore, I guess those who vehemently believe that moving or visiting another country, barely learning your new home country's language, and receiving others hard earned money support you and your family that it's okay not to make an early effort to show that you are trying to blend in. Essentially, earning your keep. I guess respect and honor for others is simply archaic in some people's minds.

So someone logically tell me why is that okay?

Why the excuses?

Why is it okay for Marie (or anybody else for that matter including Europeans who move to the US) to take the lax way, yet others who move to Denmark are required to master the language in order to work? Do those who live in Denmark give a free pass when it comes to their royals and so-to-be?

Why? Please explain?

Honestly, it boggles my mind to know there are some who just don't get it. It's not like Marie is moving to the US where the three major languages are English, Spanish, and Mandarin and thus can get away with lazily blending in. We give jobs to those who can barely put a sentence together including Europeans who move to the States. It's Denmark for heaven's sake... a country with less than 7 million people and a royal family that is essentially supported by the masses.
It's not excuses, because, yes, she should be learning Danish.

However (and this is the crucial point to me - until she has actually stood in the church in Møgeltønder, and accepted Joachim (and Denmark) she is of no obligation to me - as a tax-payer in Denmark - to know the language.

She herself has stated that she won't move to Denmark until after the wedding.

She won't become a Danish citizen until then (Ie. I won't be paying for her until then).

So why should I know the status of her linguistic progress before it is actually an issue to me?

As long as I know that she's working on it, which by all accounts she is, I don't really care how far she is along now, as long as she can make herself understood after the wedding. (and possibly also understand the language in the ceremony, of course.:ROFLMAO:)

Until May 24, I don't really care if she speaks French, German, Spanish, English, Mandarin… or whatever. It is not really any of my business, as a tax payer in Denmark(, since tax money keeps getting dragged into everything.)

If she's still got a horrible accent after a couple of years or fail to attempt the language in public after the wedding - yes, I'm right there with you. (Probably sneak before you in the line :ROFLMAO:)

Edited to add: There's an interview with Marie in Billedbladet this week where she talks about learning Danish:
"I don't work, anymore. I'm preparing for the move to Denmark. And I'm attempting to learn Danish. It progresses nicely; I practice and it is fun. Even if I also think it is difficult, it is always fun to learn a new language and I've begun to understand quite a lot."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom