Prince Joachim and Marie Cavallier, Current Events 1: September 2005 - May 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
another set of photos.. this time by Thomas Willman from POLFOTO via DPA
Marie Cavallier, with her dog Apple in Geneva, Switzerland, photo on 16.03.2006.
By newspaper interview, Marie Cavallier, 30, announce herself as a new girlfriend of the Danish Prince Joachim, 36. She loves him much, said her to the Copenhagen magazine Billed Bladet. She is living in Geneva. In the last months of Denmark had several times brought media over the new connection after one year of a divorce from princess Alexandra, to report, for which there was however no confirmation from first hand.

It does seem a bit like the photographers are hanging around outside her apartment, waiting for the time when she has to walk her dog... Considering that Billed Bladet were so considerate that they also published a picture of her building, I wouldn't at all be surprised. ;)

Alexandria said:
I don't know if the Danish royal family is behind everything surrounding Marie. Perhaps with Joachim's consent Marie spoke to the press, but these paparazzi shots of her walking her dog or out and about might not have been part of the Danish royal court's plans. But once you give (official) acknowledgement to someone being part of a royal's life, it seems sort of an open field for the media to cover them.

It might also be part of the Danish royal court's plans to guage the public feeling/sentiment on a Joachim and Marie marriage. Alexandra is very well loved and appreciated in Denmark and the divorce came as a surprise to many, so perhaps the Danish royal court is trying to see how well Marie will be perceived by the public.

And with so many comparisons (here alone) between the physical resemblance between Mary and Marie, perhaps the Danish court is trying to guage if that's a good thing or a bad thing, or if it's nothing at all. The media and public perception is a big part of royal families today, and the Danish royal family has such high approval ratings that I'm sure they would want to keep it that high and wouldn't want public opinon of them to be jeopardized.
The Danish royal family is not behind anyhting of this. Marie says in one of the interviews that she has not met any in the family. The court spokeswoman said to Berlingske Tidende, that she knows nothing about the relationship other than what she has read in the press. So the court is not behind it either. I think this is Maries own doing, possible with an okay from Joachim. They have possible agreed that she should give the press a little something to satisfy them when they find her.

fromEU said:
The Danish royal family is not behind anyhting of this. Marie says in one of the interviews that she has not met any in the family. The court spokeswoman said to Berlingske Tidende, that she knows nothing about the relationship other than what she has read in the press. So the court is not behind it either. I think this is Maries own doing, possible with an okay from Joachim. They have possible agreed that she should give the press a little something to satisfy them when they find her.
Berlingske also mentions that this openness is possibly due to the fact that the borders around what can and cannot be discussed has moved a lot since Joachim and Alexandra's divorce.

I think it also might be something Joachim learned from Mary and Frederik, when the press found Mary she said no comment, but that also meant that she was hounded by the press.

If Marie and Joachim goes with a more open route, and establish how "boring and normal" their relationship is, there should be little sense in the press hounding Marie. At least in my opinion. They get their pictures now, and interviews, and so there is not much more to do.

It's also a reflection, I think, on how quiet it really is around the Danish royal family now - the press can't begin to look at Mary's stomach yet for the next baby, so they have to have something to blow up:p

purple_platinum said:
another set of photos..
I tell you what, if she is taking it upon herself to announce things and to pose at such an early stage, my opinion of her is not too high, and I am not sure she is princess material. But again, that is just my opinion. I think royals and those that they date should be discreet, classy and somport themselves in a manner becoming such a station in life!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what language the interview was conducted in.

fromEU said:
I think this is Maries own doing, possible with an okay from Joachim. They have possible agreed that she should give the press a little something to satisfy them when they find her.

Wouldn't Joachim have to get the okay from the royal court to allow Marie to speak to the press though?

This seems like a "risky" and potentially bad pattern for Joachim to allow/give permission for his girlfriend to speak to the media. They have been dating for six months and he hasn't been divorced for that long. I know that he is happy and in love now, but who knows if this relationship will last (I don't wish either of them sadness, but I'm just saying). I would personally error on the side of caution and when (if) there is an engagement, then Marie can speak to the press as much as she pleases.

Without knowing anything about Marie's personality, I much prefer the route Mary took -- she laid low despite the media attention and the paparazzi hounding her. She smiled and was polite when they caught her out and about in her private life but said nothing other than the polite necessities. And when things were official, then she spoke to the media. To me, this bodes a better example than the route Marie's taking.

And in Joachim's case, as opposed to Frederik and Mary's case, things need to be handled with much greater care. He has an ex-wife with whom he needs to maintain decent relations with for the sake of their children and there's no need to have his new girlfriend give an interview about how in love she is with him, and he has two young sons who are impressionable and have feelings and don't necessarily need to meet everyone their father dates unless things are serious with them.

Thats a very good question. If it was conducted in Danish then that means she must be learning danish unless she knew it since she was a child which I doubt. If she is learning Danish then that means the relationship is pretty serious.

I think it was stated by the Danish press around Christian's birth, that they (the press) weren't very impressed with the knowledge that the Palace spokesperson had about it all (almost minimum), or the way she was handling the whole debacle. I wonder if we're getting into something similar here?

Learned people that Berlingske talked with said that it would be extremely strange if Joachim hadn't talked to someone in the royal family before going ahead with this. Not necessarily the spokesperson, though. She seems pretty out of the loop on everything. ;)

There is definitely something very charismatic about Marie. She has a very big and welcoming smile and eyes that light up when she smiles, especially in the above picture Laviolette has posted by Jeppe Michael Jensen.

An observation: It's surprising that in this thread there has been a lot of discussion and comparison of Marie to Mary, and even a bit to Margrethe, but hardly any comparison of Marie to Alexandra. I know that they don't resemeble each other much but there have been comments about Marie's demeanor or her energy in comparison to Margrethe's and Mary's.

It's interesting that post-divorce both Joachim and Alexandra have chosen very different partners. They obviously don't have a "type!"

It's ironic that if Mary had chosen to change her name upon marrying Frederik, it probably would have been Marie.

I don't know what to make of it. For Marie to talk about babies if they're not serious would make most men run away as fast as possible. If he stays with her, Joachim must be the most patient and understanding man on earth.

I still find it hard to believe that Joachim or anyone else in the DRF would have just said OK, go talk to Billed Bladet without any advice at all. If they did, that was incredibly unfair.

As other posters have stated; Marie does seem like a sweet girl. Maybe a little off to go off chattering to the press about babies but she still looks like a nice girl. I hope she knows not to do this kind of thing in the future, it doesn't look good without a ring on the finger, she should know now that she's put herself out there that she's probably going to be judged like crazy and possibly even hounded. I think Marie looks more like Kate Middleton now, except that Marie smiles a lot more! :D

It puzzles me the whole process but she seems like a very nice lady. Very warm and charismatic. Full of energy and fun. A very big happy smile which i like.

I have mix feeling about Marie giving an interview and then posing for the cameras... Maybe it's old fashion but i think unless it's really official, it's wrong to be doing such things.

She's a very pretty woman and her striking similiarity to CP Mary is really uncanning...but i'm sure Joachim didn't set about looking for a "Mary look-a-like" on purpose! Really, give the poor man some sense and credit. I think it's just pure chance.

highpriestess said:
Does anyone remember the time of Joachim and Alexandra's separation?
It was announced on 16. September, 2004. However, Alexandra's house on Svanemøllevej was purchased just before Mary and Frederik's wedding in May the same year, so it was in the cards longer than that, and kept quiet as to not destroy the wedding.

old pictures of Joachim & Marie back in August 2005 when they went on a holiday in avignon

(from Cover)

from polfoto via bruno press :

The Danish Prince Joachim's new girlfriend Marie Cavallier

POLFOTO MARCH 19 2006
The Danish Prince Joachim came home sonday from his trip in South East Asia. He was greated by the Danish press with pictures of Marie Cavallier when he visited the Car Show in the Bella Center in Copenhagen. He was asked if he was in love and he confirmed it.
(POLFOTO/Jan Sommer)

More images

from brunopress

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 22,504
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 30,549
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 15,041
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 17,015
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 13,649
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 13,200
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 13,468
I don't know what else to say... She is clearly possing & talking freely to the public, while Prince Joachim is being quite discreet. Anyone finding this situation rather bizzare?

and according to caption from Polfoto via Bruno Press, she has talked to Ekstra Bladet...
The Danish Prince Joachim's new girlfriend Marie Cavallier
POLFOTO MARCH 17 2006 EXCLUSIVE The Danish Prince Joachim's new girlfriend Marie Cavallier in the lobby of her appartement building together with the journalist Thea Pedersen from Ekstra Bladet and Joakims kæreste Marie Cavallier i lobbyen Marie's dog Apple.
(POLFOTO/Thomas Willman)
the other pics from polfoto via bruno press :

Last edited:
I think Marie is acting natural...do not think naive...and Joachim is acting as he should act..as the royal he is....but it is very strange do not support all the feelings she has talked on those interviews...in a royal manner of course!!
Today I think his mother is talking with him about the girl....maybe he gave her freedom to talk...but he did not knew that she was going to love all this media attention and talk talk talk talk about intimate feelings and details happened at schakenborg....that is only my impression...

I have been trying to reserve judgement (especially since I haven't read the article) but this is something else. Hasn't anyone learned from past experience from other royals/celebrities. Once you open the floodgates and start giving information on your relationship, the press is houndless.

Like everyone else, I enjoy learning more about the royals but this just seems so wrong! I give this six months and than this relationship is done. OVER. Of course, that prediction will haunt me :)

Mollie said:
I think Marie is acting natural...do not think naive...and Joachim is acting as he should act..as the royal he is....but it is very strange do not support all the feelings she has talked on those interviews...in a royal manner of course!!
Today I think his mother is talking with him about the girl....maybe he gave her freedom to talk...but he did not knew that she was going to love all this media attention and talk talk talk talk about intimate feelings and details happened at schakenborg....that is only my impression...

It is as if the press waited for the prince to be away from Europe (and thus easier accessible) to hound the new girlfriend. I reminds me of the first contact of Mary Donaldson with the Danish press: Prince Frederick had just left Australia and was on the plane without phoneconnection and Mary could not reach him to ask what she should do. Mary was working in PR herself and probably knew that it is always better to keep your mouth shut. But I wouldn't wonder if the media knew where to find the girl and waited for an opportunity to approach her when the prince was not close by to help.

I, too, have the feeling that Ms. Marie did not react in a very clever way, that no head of state (even if she normally is a loving mother) can be amused by these interviews. It is true, the prince is divorced, so legally it is alright for him to have a girlfriend and to conduct his affair with her in public, but I still tend to think his parents would wish for a bit more contenance. Or am I very old-fashioned here?

Oh, I can think of thousands of innocent or at least understandible reasons why Ms. Marie talked as she obviously did. But still it is somewhat embarrassing for the prince and it puts him in a quite ackward position. As if his hand is now forced in a way, when she says that he wanted to wait for her to feel sure it was right to talk about love and then she does it, but not to him but to tabloids... In his shoes I would be afraid that if it came to marriage and if the love-life turned sour, he would learn it not from her but from the morning paper.

But it's a new chapter in the Danish Royal soap opera - after Frederick and Mary became a bit too bourgeois and boring with their everlasting devotion, we have now something new to discuss.... Just a joke. No offense meant - I'm glad that Frederick seemingly found his other self in Mary and that they are happy.

More pictures?! I don't think Marie should be doing this. The more pictures she poses for, the more speculation and judgement she's leading herself into. Besides, discretion is always admired in a royal girlfriend.

A recent poll from BilletBladet asks the Dane's opinions on Marie. I think the first question is whether they expect an official announcement within the next 3 months.

Can someone translate it?

from BilledBladet

Er det sandsynligt at forholdet bliver officielt inden for de næste 3 måneder?
67,1% - Ja det tror jeg
27,7% - Nej det tror jeg ikke
5,2% - Ved ikke
Tror du vi snart ser Marie på Schackenborg igen?
86,8% - Ja helt sikkert
7,4% - Nej det tror jeg ikke
5,8% - Ved ikke

Last edited:
ysbel said:
A recent poll from BilletBladet asks the Dane's opinions on Marie. I think the first question is whether they expect an official announcement within the next 3 months.

Can someone translate it?

from BilledBladet

Er det sandsynligt at forholdet bliver officielt inden for de næste 3 måneder?
67,1% - Ja det tror jeg
27,7% - Nej det tror jeg ikke
5,2% - Ved ikke
Tror du vi snart ser Marie på Schackenborg igen?
86,8% - Ja helt sikkert
7,4% - Nej det tror jeg ikke
5,8% - Ved ikke
Is it likely that the relationship will become official within the next three months? 67.1% Yes I think so. 27.7% No, I don't think so. 5.2% I don't know

Do you think we soon will see Marie at Schackenborg again?
86.8% yes, definitely
7,4% No, I don't think so
5,8 % I don't know.

norwegianne said:
Is it likely that the relationship will become official within the next three months? 67.1% Yes I think so. 27.7% No, I don't think so. 5.2% I don't know

Do you think we soon will see Marie at Schackenborg again?
86.8% yes, definitely
7,4% No, I don't think so
5,8 % I don't know.

Thank you very much, Norwegianne.

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but does anybody know what Marie does for a living?

I do too think it is strange that Marie is posing for so many pictures and speaking to the press. It makes me wonder if they will marry soon, who knows! I have to say that it's refreshing to see one smiling for the press, she knows that the press have found out about her and that she will be photographed all the time so why not smile? It irritates me that some girls know that they are dating someone high profile yet they are mad that the paparazzi that follows them and takes pictures. It's part of the territory, it sure makes me like this girl a lot better because she smiles rather than scowels. She made a good first impression, but talking to the press was a step over the line IMO.

HRHAmy said:
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but does anybody know what Marie does for a living?

I do too think it is strange that Marie is posing for so many pictures and speaking to the press. It makes me wonder if they will marry soon, who knows! I have to say that it's refreshing to see one smiling for the press, she knows that the press have found out about her and that she will be photographed all the time so why not smile? It irritates me that some girls know that they are dating someone high profile yet they are mad that the paparazzi that follows them and takes pictures. It's part of the territory, it sure makes me like this girl a lot better because she smiles rather than scowels. She made a good first impression, but talking to the press was a step over the line IMO.

That's an interesting point of view, Amy. But when I think about it, I wonder if one shouldn't see the "high profile"-characteristic as more complex? I mean, if it is a Royal or other society "high profile" personality, then neither the high profile personality nor the girl in question gets something out of it besides harassment and annoyance. If it is a "celebrity" then it's different - they earn money, personal coverage like that gives them additional chances to sell books, CDs, movies.... So in my opinion the girlfriend of a prince has a greater right to her (and his) privacy than the girlfriend of a TV- or music celebrity. It all has to do with the fact that I see Royal families earning their VIP-position in life through their being a symbol for tradition. Thus, they have to follow a codex of behaviour which is payed for by their "subjects" - if your position in life is being a symbol, then be it!

But then your private life should be private as they are enough occasions to be photographed as "symbols".

Just my thoughts. What are you thinking about it?

When and where did they meet? (sorry if it's been mentined before

Jo of Palatine said:
That's an interesting point of view, Amy. But when I think about it, I wonder if one shouldn't see the "high profile"-characteristic as more complex? I mean, if it is a Royal or other society "high profile" personality, then neither the high profile personality nor the girl in question gets something out of it besides harassment and annoyance. If it is a "celebrity" then it's different - they earn money, personal coverage like that gives them additional chances to sell books, CDs, movies.... So in my opinion the girlfriend of a prince has a greater right to her (and his) privacy than the girlfriend of a TV- or music celebrity. It all has to do with the fact that I see Royal families earning their VIP-position in life through their being a symbol for tradition. Thus, they have to follow a codex of behaviour which is payed for by their "subjects" - if your position in life is being a symbol, then be it!

But then your private life should be private as they are enough occasions to be photographed as "symbols".

Just my thoughts. What are you thinking about it?
I agree with the celebirty point, yes it would help out the celebirty in question to sell a movie or music etc I do agree with you there. But is it just a disadvantage to the person who is dating a royal? I mean there are soo many cons but I see some pros along with it. For instance, let's say that a woman whom is middle class to upper middle class background starts dating a prince or someone of aristocracy and of course she will mingle in the upper crust crowd of royals since she is dating one. I see a pro as to if her realtionship at the time doesn't work out with the current royal she will know many artistocratic males whom she could possibly marry later on. So marrying another one royal would be a pro to the person in question if that's what they are looking for. Also I think being photographed and put in the press might be good for a business? Say the woman/man in question gets photographed a lot and the press knows where he/she works say it's a law firm or real estate company. They might just get more business from the press because the woman/man is working there. I know there would also be a lot of hassel but I'm not so sure it wouldn't be bad for business.

For me, as a commoner and someone who does read the gossip magazine's when I see someone who is dating a prince or princess or someone of title it always makes me feel that they are a nice person when they smile. I mean what would you think if you saw the headlines of "New Woman/Man For Princess ___ or Prince ____" and they're on the cover scoweling at the photographers or yelling at them or putting their hands over their faces, I realize that it is way tougher than any of us could imagine being stalked by the paprazzi for one picture but when I, the person of the country that one of these men or woman might be running someday see these people act like they hate it soo much it makes me think they won't like doing their duty or job later on in life. Did they marry ____ just to be a prince or princes?? Do they even love them? I wish everyone to be happy. But when I see he/she who is et least smiling or giving them one picture and they act like they can tolerate it and it makes me think they are the right ones for the job and that they can handle anything that comes at them later on. I think Mary is a very good example of someone with class and dignity and handeled the press very well. She didn't run away from anybody or give them dirty looks, she just went upon her business and smiled when she could. How do you feel when you get the first look at a potential prince/ princess and they are either smiling and laughing or giving the photogs a dirty look??:)

*Let me clarify one thing too, there is a difference between courting the media and being polite. I personally don't like it when one courts the media, then you know they are just in it for the face time. To me Marie is very close to doing this, when she gives interviews and poses for 80 pictures. But when you're just polite and smile and go on with your life that isn't something I would count as liking the attention.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom