Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by paulette+Nov 30th, 2003 - 6:55 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paulette @ Nov 30th, 2003 - 6:55 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Where can I look for the link of the video clip by anna?
I really want to see it. :)[/b]
<!--QuoteBegin-anna@Nov 23rd, 2003 - 1:04 am

The dr1's engagement day : http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/kongehuset/articl...rticleID=125556

To view the pressconference - there you click on :
Pressemøde med Mary Donaldson og kronprins Frederik på Fredensborg Slot (8.oktober 2003)

To view Mary's danish intro - there you click on :
Mary Donaldsons tale på dansk (8.oktober 2003)

To view dr1's solo interview wiht the couple - there you click on :
DRs Morten Løkkegaard interviewer Mary Donaldson og kronprins Frederik (den 8. oktober 2003)

Much more in the dr1's engagement collection :
http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/kongehuset/

[/quote]
It would have indeed been nice to see Frederik give Mary a supportive pat, or something...
He did - his way - after she had finished her danish intro - he made big eyes to her and nodded as signs of his approval - then he grabbed her hand and gave it pat - discreet, but positive - I think :)

He did do that i was the video, he was very happy she try to speak in danish.
And i just telling very one here that i have 3months to go to have my baby.
billie-jo

weird head postures when in front of cameras

someone in her modeling course must have instructed her to always lift her chin. the result are those slightly haughty appearances...
COLOUR10017181.jpg

COLOUR10017193.jpg

COLOUR10017198.jpg

bibi, Dec 3rd, 2003 - 7:52 pm - they should have told her instead: it was lady dianas shy smile from below that touches peoples hearts. mary does it when she doesnt have time to thinka bout her modeling rules, when there is too much pressure, such as during the press conference.
Unlike royal message board posters
- the danes watched Mary on big screen tvs
- and did indeed become infactuated :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like mary's pic (with anna's post) where she's at the press conference laughing--it's natural. On the other hand, the pic of her in teh pink dress ( with Bibi's post) shows her head tilted and sucking her cheeks in. I think this method is taught in most model course or at photo shoots inorder to appear thin, sexy, myseriious or whatever.

I think Mary looks gorgeous in the pink dress. Very noble!

In the green dress I think she sucks her cheeks in a bit too much. Maybe it's something she does when she's nervous. Some sort of tic.

Originally posted by bibi@Dec 3rd, 2003 - 1:28 pm
weird head postures when in front of cameras

someone in her modeling course must have instructed her to always lift her chin. the result are those slightly haughty appearances...

;) bibi, "haughty" is a good description; probably better than the one that popped into my mind -- "constipated." The previous poster is absolutely right... Mary looks wonderful when she doesn't think about being watched -- natural, warm, pretty. But who am I to talk, when I see a camera (let alone dozens of cameras) pointed at me, I automatically adopt what I THINK is a natural looking pose; however, the results are most often photographs of me looking like I am being painfully tortured or that I have had wayyyy too much to drink. Ah well... fortunately I can hide from the camera... she cannot.

Why on earth does every young woman who marries into a royal family have to be compared with Diana??

The woman was no saint and was certainly not the template for a princess.

How about looking to someone like Princess Anne (who works her tail off) or Princess Alexandra of Denmark for a Princess Role model.

:angry: , :doh:

Originally posted by wymanda@Dec 4th, 2003 - 12:36 am
How about looking to someone like Princess Anne (who works her tail off) or Princess Alexandra of Denmark for a Princess Role model.

:angry: , :doh:
The problem with Princess Anne and Princess Alexandra is they have no Pizzazz. :blink:

" Why on earth does every young woman who marries into a royal family have to be compared with Diana??

The woman was no saint and was certainly not the template for a princess."

I have to agree. I wasn't her biggest fan. I had no complaints with her really. She just didn't have the same effect on me as apparently she has had on millions of other people. Go figure. Yes, I love Mary in that green dress. She is so lovely.

I think Mary looks more or less fantastic. Yes some of the pictures aren't that succesfull, but we have to remember that when pressphotographers take pictures they use 3 or 4 films at an location such as the royal engagement, offcourse some of them will turn out bad. I don't believe that Mary sucks her cheeks in an keep her head held high on purpose, she just had some bad pictures taken, it could happen to anyone - no?

The dresses and outfits she wore before the engagement were mostly designed by some of the top danish designers. I think this showed a generel interest in one of Denmarks top industries. Unfortunately beeing a royal she will propably have to tone it down a bit. Too bad, because to me her wardrobe was very refreshing compared to other royals.

By the way, there has been so much talk about not liking Mary and I would just like to say, that i'm a dane and I find her wonderfull. Nothing wrong with the way she looks, speaks danish or appear in generel. I can't speak for all danes, but I now that most people would agree with me. :p

I don´t understand the Mary-antipathy too...I rather admire her for her courage to try this princess-thing...she could have chosen so much better. E.g a rich bachelor, who takes he to Marbella, St. Tropez and that all without the nasty press and an antiquated etiquette, learning a new language, all time presence of the mother in law (Don´t get me wrong, Margrethe seems to have a great personality, but as wife of a husband, who isn´t prince, your mother in law has far less influence). And I pity her a little bit, Mary seems to be a person, with a high lack of self confidence.
For me this pert Letizia-girl is far more worse than Mary. Yes, I don´t know any of them, and I will try to give both a chance. But my personal feeling says: Mary-yes, Letizia-no.

Hello Lena,

What is the difficult of what you say princessthing ? I think nothing difficulties to be Royal Family esspecially in modern monarch which only carry social duties (cut the ribbon in many events, lead some organizations with a huge advisors etc.). I don't hesitate Mary can perform her duty, look at Mette Marit which has less educational CV than her can make it.

But if you compare to Letizia, wow Mary should shame on her. Letizia has own life and Mary's spent Frederick money for her life since she moved to Denmark.

Wisnu

Originally posted by Wisnu@Dec 8th, 2003 - 8:47 pm
Hello Lena,

What is the difficult of what you say princessthing ? I think nothing difficulties to be Royal Family esspecially in modern monarch which only carry social duties (cut the ribbon in many events, lead some organizations with a huge advisors etc.). I don't hesitate Mary can perform her duty, look at Mette Marit which has less educational CV than her can make it.

But if you compare to Letizia, wow Mary should shame on her. Letizia has own life and Mary's spent Frederick money for her life since she moved to Denmark.

Wisnu
I know, what you mean. My dad usually says about Royals, that they should do real work (physical and intellectual) and THEN they will know, how their people feel... ;)
And in a way he´s right...if there would be just the ribbon-cutting or children hugging it would be an easy job, and I would be the first, who would take this job. But in comparison to former times, in which the sovereign could forbid the people or even kill people, who said anything negative about (thanks god, that these times are over, because otherwise almost all members of LTR would be dead ;) ) him/her, he or she now has to stand all the criticism. And that seems to be really tough for young princesses. Think of Mette-Marit, who suffered in the first year fom different diseases, or think of princess Diana and princess Victoria, who suffered from eating disorders, or look at Mary´s current weight loss and her nervous gestures...
And I´m not sure, but as far as I remember Mary still worked for a company (Microsoft?) in Copenhagen.

I think Mary looks like Rita Wilson (Tom Hanks' wife)

Hello Lena,

What ever I say now, Mary is crownprincess to be. Her life in Denmark which made negative thinking on her for some people just like me. Then her duty now to uplift her image.

Wisnu

i take my above comment back, as i was looking for rita wilson pics to post here, I changed my opinion - Rita Wilson is far prettier than Mary. Sory...

Originally posted by Wisnu@Dec 9th, 2003 - 5:34 am
Her life in Denmark which made negative thinking on her for some people just like me. Then her duty now to uplift her image.
:eek: :doh: :yuk:

Mary :angel: has no duty whatsoever

towards you

the foreign royal message boards's posters ! :angry: :furious:

Hmmm, you do know that an overwhelming amount of the danes

are more than pleased with their future Crown Princess Mary ?

I think that Mary's an admirable woman. :flower: It has to be hard, coming out of "nowhere" (speaking from a pr-standpoint) and adapting to a life in the spotlight. It would be on anyone.

The Danish press is probably much more gentle than say the German or British press would have been, but nevertheless it's a transition.

Kudos to Mary for carrying it off so well.

(And since I'm Norwegian, I'm entitled to think she's a member of the Norwegian royal family... and I think she's doing wonderfully.) :flower:

Lena,

Correctly me if I'm wrong, Mary got a job with Microsoft (denmark) because of Frederik. One of his friends is the head (?) of the company.

Originally posted by sunlesstanning@Dec 9th, 2003 - 12:17 pm
Lena,

Correctly me if I'm wrong, Mary got a job with Microsoft (denmark) because of Frederik.  One of his friends is the head (?) of the company.
I don´t know, how she got this job. But what would be the problem, if she got the job through a friend of Frederik?! Most people get a job through friends of their partners, relatives...especially when they start to work in an other country.
It seems to me as if some people here would even search for every little hint, which could show/prove, that Mary is evil.

i doubt that anyone wants to unveil her as evil. its a natural development for a public persona. but i think we can stop talking about her professional life: we have all realised that she was not particularely ambitious with only graduating with a BA and working in low-profile jobs. the fact that she indeed got her job through frederik tops it, but its not surprising.

yes, lena, for a first job its not surprising to use ones connections. but mary is a grown woman with more than 10 years of working experience. she was not transfered by her austrialian company but by her then-lover. nepotism happens everywhere, you are right, but we have all long discovered that normal rules dont apply for members of royal families that themselves are not allowed to work. i see a conflict here too. but its none of our business and over now anyway.

just one little example: maxima had a high position within deutsche bank investment services in NY and was transfered to Brussles. although i doub that anyone would have denied her this job once the reasons for her move were known, i doubt that alexander played a role in this. really: what is the insentive for microsoft in danmark to hire an australian who probably had problems getting a working permit (they normally go through these hassels for highly qualified people...) and doesnt even speak the countries language properly???? to do marketing in a company one has to know the country in which one works...

you see, there are a lot of reasons to wonder about this job of marys. but: it has been discussed in length and is true, one should waste ones typing energy on issues more worthwhile discussing, if it can ever be worthwhile discussing other poeples private lives.......

Stating that Mary got the job through Frederik doesn't make or hint that she's evil. I don't find mary evil nor a saint. In general, it's admirable if a person gets a job without an assistance from anyone.

Anna,

That's true Mary doesn't need to do anything to me, but people who don't like her not only me and keep remain forever.

Wisnu

As long as the people disliking Mary are non-danes

she doesn't have to do anything to please them :lol:

However, we can not expect every citizen in a monarchy
to like every one of their royals. :p

:stuart: I don't know of a land which has only 100% beloved members, do you ?

I don't know of a land which has only 100% beloved members, do you ?

I do, in my country Indonesia eventhough it's Republic but the goverment give previledge to ex monarch to rule a land such as province. This province named Jogjakarta who governed by Hamengkubuwono dinasty as a governor. Four years ago the one of political party proposed an election to select new governor, 90% of people who sit in parliament against them. Majority insisted the Hamengkubuwono dinasty to keep ruling. Everybody in Jogjakarta including foreigner (I say for the people from outside Jogjakarta who live in that province) love Hamengkubuwono dinasty.

Comparing with the behaviour of your monarch, wow Hamengkubuwono much better. Each member of this family are well educated, keep control their step, eventhough they are really rich but no one in that family have wild life like Fred.

Wisnu

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary does not need to care about those gossip or comments about her. Her success is being like by a crown prince.
What matter is that the image of royal family of Denmark will certainly be demaged at some extent. As if you hear what peope are talking about. She is not someone who is capable of bringing special value to her future royal house. The biggest problem is that Mary can not be herself, like the crown princess of Norwaygian, she wins the respect as she knows where is her last life.
Yes, Mary, go on with your own way.

I see a resemblance w/the actress Frances O'Connor, who is in the current movie "Timeline." She was also in the awesome movie "Madame Bovary" a few years ago.

I wonder if when Mary was refering to Danes as being"slow" she wasn't refer to a particular Dane .Hmmmm I wonder who that could be.

She didn't refer to the Danes as being 'slow' , Henrik's brother, Etienne de Monpezat, who interviewed them messed the interview up, added things they didn't say by translating it completely wrong. He said so himself and apologized for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom