Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an interesting article. While Fred is a serial monogamist with his girlfriends he seems to have committment phobia where marriage is concerned. Of course with past girlfriends being Danish, Fred could not committ. Now he has the chance to and has been dating Mary for two years...what's going on? I am sure that Mary would have no objections to an engagement but Fred seems to be stalling. What do all of you think?

Hi Julia!

Good question as usual. I think that Fred may be stalling purposefully or that he simply isn't ready for marriage yet.

It could also be that Fred has every intention of marrying Mary, but that the couple may want to wait a while for Mary to adjust more to life in Denmark (especially learning the language, history, culture) before it all becomes official. If she is to be the next CP of Denmark and eventually Queen then it would most likely be best for an engagement to be announced once Mary can be presented in the best possible manner to the people of Denmark. Fred may want for Mary to be presented as the next CP of Denmark in a most impressive light.

Hi Jacqueline!

Good response, as usual. :) It seems that Mary might be having trouble with the Danish language (which, as mentioned in the article, she must be flawlessly fluent in to become CP) and other aspects of courtly life (manners, etc...). Pss Alexandra "speaks Danish better than some native Danes" and is so popluar in Denmark that I think it would be incredibly hard for anyone to out do her. While Mary is very cute and appears to have a good and bubbly personality (from pics) perhaps she is lacking in the polish necessary to become a CP at the moment and as you said, perhaps they are waiting for Mary to "bloom".

I heard that she recently attended a horse show, but that's about all. I haven't found any new photographs taken at the horse show. But, if I find anything new, I will post them. :)

Hey Josefine and Jacqueline!

It is quite interesting that things are so very quiet about Mary. I did see, as you said Jacqueline, that Mary attended a horse show and saw some photos as well. She looked a bit peeky...not well at all. I believe that stress must be getting to her. She doesn't look well. :unsure:

Originally posted by Julia@Mar 25th, 2003 - 6:17 am
I did see, as you said Jacqueline, that Mary attended a horse show and saw some photos as well. She looked a bit peeky...not well at all. I believe that stress must be getting to her. She doesn't look well. :unsure:
Hi Julia! :)

Mary must be growing weary. I am sure that the entire situation must be a bit frustrating at times. :(

Hi
I've been reading this forum for some time and I wanted to thank everyone for the pictures and everything. It is just great.
I wanted to know if anyone could translate (part of) this article since I don't speak danish. Thanks :rolleyes:
Fred

Hi Fred. Thank you for the compliments. :flower: You are very kind!

Umm, I don't speak much Danish but the article is about Mary's weigh loss due to the stress of being under a worldwide microscope, if you will. It discusses the stress that CP Victoria underwent when she was younger and that she suffered from an eating disorder. It also talks about Charlotte Casiraghi's popularity and how very thin she is since the press has taken such an interest in her. It also speaks of the late Princess Diana's fight with bulimia and that Queen Rania is incredibly thin, as well.

The article claims that Mary has lost 10 kilos over the last year.

I hope that helps a bit. If anyone else can help out with the article that would be fantastic!

Thanks Julia!

With everybody tracking them down, no wonder Mary is stressed but if she can't manage now, how will she do if she becomes crown princess?

No problem, Fred!

That's a good question. How will Mary handle the pressures of life as a crown princess? I would think, and this is just MHO, that once they become engaged (presuming they do) that Mary will have a chance to "settle" a bit. Yes, it must be incredibly stressful having the press breathing down your neck all of the time but what seems worse to me is that some press says that it's only a matter of time before Frederik and Mary are married -- others say this could be a dwindling romance and that Frederik is a comittment phobe. Just to see that in the press would make me nervous if I were Mary! Eventhough what the press says might not be true it still takes a toll. For instance, Grace Kelly lost 10 lbs the week before her wedding she was so nervous. However, almost immediately after she gained it back (plus she got pregnant, too). What a rambling point I am trying to make! Anyway, maybe Mary will relax a bit once somekind of formal announcement is made and if they are married then perhaps she will have a chance to relax totally. I hope that she doesn't develop an eating disorder. I would think that the palace, or more likely, friends and family would help her through this and keep her grounded.
Yes, I would think that the press would be just as eager to follow her every move if she and Frederik become engaged but most of the press will be really positive (allowing her some relief) and she will finally be officially engaged if this all comes to fruition. ;)

can anyone tell me way does frederik like her anyway? ;)

Originally posted by billie-jo@Apr 21st, 2003 - 4:23 am
can anyone tell me way does frederik like her anyway? ;)
Hi Billie-Jo.

Well, I suppose that even though some of us may have certain issues with Mary, as far as Fred is concerned she may be a pleasant woman to be around. He must enjoy spending some sort of time with her.

But, getting back to the artilce...EEK! she is too thin. She looks like a lolli pop just waiting to tip over. :cry: When I first got a glance of Mary and her pictures in Australia in the beginning I thought that she needed a good twease of the brows, but she looked nice. She was wonderfully healthy looking and her skin looked nice. Now, she seems to be withering away. :( :unsure:

I was just wondering if what does Queen Margarethe think of her??? I mean its like she really has a difficulty in speaking the Danish Language because some newspapers are saying that she is really taking extra effort in studying the difficult language....???

I mean she should really know how to be that confident and calm even though if they are still not married beacuse so much more if they are married how will the danes react???? ;)

I really feel sad for Mary because I think she is really trying her best but for these times she really feels confused with all the buggy things going on her head... I hope she can handle it.. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
From Se Og Hor magazine.

Attachments

• DK_mary_500.jpg
    DK_mary_500.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 5,447
What did that Mary do in the third picture up from this one, goose the guy? She needs to go to another "finishing school". :shock:

I think Mary Donaldson doesn't fit yet to be the CPrincess of Denmark for this time because even though she knows likely about Denmark and the language itself it doesn't mean that she could be a CP right away. Even royals in other countries are criticized with te way they are doing things how much more M Donaldson who still struggles with her danish... :)

I think you hit it right on the head Paulette.... I don't think she will ever be CP material IMO. If she had any self-confidence she wouldn't have needed the modeling course :wacko:

I like that picture of her in the striped blouse and sunglasses. She looks nice.

What are the chances of them getting married? Has Ms. Donaldson officially met Queen Margrethe?
;)

Only a dane would know the real answer to that. However, to the second part of your question, It is said that she hasnt met the Queen by official sources, but, friends I believe have said that she has met the queen, I do belive that she has, I think that I have seen photo somewhere. I would hope that some one would post them if they can find them.

chanel

I´ve thought...and...thought, which person Mary remembers me. And then I got it...Imagine you her with fair hair...doesn´t she look a lot like Jennifer Aniston? (And Jennifer got also the good-looking and of all wanted guy :p )
But samitude, you´re right too, she looks also a lot like Alexia of Greece.

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 20th, 2003 - 6:58 pm
I´ve thought...and...thought, which person Mary remembers me. And then I got it...Imagine you her with fair hair...doesn´t she look a lot like Jennifer Aniston? (And Jennifer got also the good-looking and of all wanted guy :p )
But samitude, you´re right too, she looks also a lot like Alexia of Greece.
Oh Lena, I had never thought of Jennifer Aniston! But she does bear a resemblance to Jennifer in the last picture in the greyish top. I have often thought that Mary resembles Alexia of Greece a fair bit, too. But Jennifer is a good one, too.

2003-05-27 Kastrup, Copenhagen - Mary Donaldson at Copenhagens Ariport - returning from London.

www.ibl.se

www.ibl.se

2003-05-02 Copenhagen, Denmark - Mary Donaldson Birthday

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 10,519
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 4,065
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 7,052
here is a older picture from a fashion show she went to

----

------

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 3,374
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,890
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 16,247
www.hellomagazine.com

9 OCTOBER 2003
Now that she is officially to become a member of an institution which goes back 1,000 years, Crown Prince Frederik's bride-to-be has a crash course in the fundamentals of being a Danish crown princess ahead of her.

While she has already embarked upon a course of study in the Danish language, she has no choice other than to prove herself a dedicated student. "There's a standing in-house order to speak only Danish here, and she has to speak up if she's not able to follow along," reveals Court Chamberlain Per Thornit. Instruction is given by two teachers who arrive daily to drill Mary in speech and grammar, and the 31-year-old Australian also speaks Danish with Frederik.

And it's not just the language that Mary has been focusing on. She has also been checking out TV footage of Queen Margrethe's 1967 wedding, presumably in readiness for her own nuptials which will take place on May 14.

Among all the other changes the new princess-in-waiting must take on board are those associated with her rise in profile. Shortly after the engagement was announced Mary had personal bodyguards assigned to her, and she can no longer drive herself to the stables, or take a casual walk around Amalienborg.

"She is in the spotlight so much that she can't venture out alone anymore. It's going to change her basic way of life to have two men constantly at her back. But that's just how her life is, and I am not a second in doubt that she will handle the transition," says Per.

I just read on the 'Scandinavian Message Royals Board' the following:

"It was today announced that Mary Donaldson will attend the banquet at Fredensborg in honour of the Grand Ducal couple of Luxembourg on 20 October.
She'll also be present at a concert hosted by the Grand Duke & Duchess."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom