Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by those pictures, Mary seems to be getting use to the spotlight. Thank you, once again, for the pictures Fireweaver.

Originally posted by montecarlo@Apr 14th, 2004 - 1:28 pm
Judging by those pictures, Mary seems to be getting use to the spotlight. Thank you, once again, for the pictures Fireweaver.
I agree with you, she does seem as though she is getting more used to the spotlight. I never really thought that Mary was all that pretty in older photos. Maybe it was just the tenseness in her body, but she seems much more relaxed, and much prettier. I must admit, she has really grown on me. I think I might actually like her. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by karolinabraganza@Apr 17th, 2004 - 3:17 am
here one where one sees: she is clapping, nobody else
http://images.bt2.metropol.dk/227/227154/227154_custom.jpg
Poor thing... she looked so happy clapping too :(

You know what, I don't see why Mary had to stop.

I mean, it's not like its the whole RF that is being "hurra-ed" by the people, and its not like its the whole RF that's having a birthday. So why shouldn't the other members of the RF not clap to celebrate QM's birthday??? Hmmmm???

If my brother has a bithday, and after we've shouted "hip hip horray", I clap.... ermm, ok I'm not royalty, but you know what I mean? It's not me that's being congratulated, so why shouldn't I clap?

Originally posted by karolinabraganza@Apr 17th, 2004 - 10:17 am
she is clapping
http://images.bt2.metropol.dk/227/227154/227154_custom.jpg
:magic: This is one of the very best photos I have seen of Mary :clap:

so sweet and lovely ^_^

I do agree with those viewing Mary clapping together with the people on the palace court yard below, as the natural spontaneous thing to do :flower:

Being a not photogenic person, most pics of Mary don't and won't
show her at her best :stuart:

:ermm: occasionally we have seen some good and in the future we will be seeing some ...... likewise occasionally

IMO

the tiara on the coin doesn't exist, neither does the coin. It certainly isn't the official coin. on that you see Frederik and Mary in profile.

Louise

the fake coin's tiara looks sorta/kinda like the Orange-Nassau tiara, but, not nearly as nice :)

DENMARK'S crown princess-to-be, Australian Mary Donaldson, was fitted
for a traditional Greenland-made dress today, but it wasn't the
wedding gown she'll wear May 14.

Instead, she met with a pair of Inuit seamstresses at Amalienborg
Palace in the capital to try on a handmade seal skin dress that
Donaldson will wear when she visits Greenland with Crown Prince
Frederik in June.
"The fitting went fine. There are a few tiny adjustments to be made,"
said Agnethe Davidsen, the mayor of Nuuk, Greenland's capital. "She
was very, very happy to have it."

Davidsen was in Copenhagen with Priscilla Josefsen, 76, and Maritha
Hammeken, 79, who led a team of 15 seamstresses that put the 24-part
dress together.

The garment is Nuuk's official wedding gift for the 32-year-old
Donaldson. The cost of the dress, which took two months to make,
wasn't disclosed.

The dress includes a red sweater with a multicoloured pearl yoke,
cuffs and a high collar made from seal fur.

The seal skin pants feature colourful patterns.

Rounding out the ensemble is a pair of leather thigh-high white
boots, or kamik.

"It was like she has always been wearing the national costume,"
Davidsen said. "She looked gorgeous."

Frederik's sister-in-law, Hong-Kong-born Princess Alexandra, the wife
of Prince Joachim, also received a traditional Greenland dress. The
dress is typically worn during celebrations.

Greenland is a semiautonomous Danish territory.

Members of the royal family visit the Arctic island annually.

Originally posted by Dennism@Apr 21st, 2004 - 9:21 pm
DENMARK'S crown princess-to-be, Australian Mary Donaldson, was fitted
for a traditional Greenland-made dress today, but it wasn't the
wedding gown she'll wear May 14.

Instead, she met with a pair of Inuit seamstresses at Amalienborg
Palace in the capital to try on a handmade seal skin dress that
Donaldson will wear when she visits Greenland with Crown Prince
Frederik in June.
"The fitting went fine. There are a few tiny adjustments to be made,"
said Agnethe Davidsen, the mayor of Nuuk, Greenland's capital. "She
was very, very happy to have it."

Davidsen was in Copenhagen with Priscilla Josefsen, 76, and Maritha
Hammeken, 79, who led a team of 15 seamstresses that put the 24-part
dress together.

The garment is Nuuk's official wedding gift for the 32-year-old
Donaldson. The cost of the dress, which took two months to make,
wasn't disclosed.

The dress includes a red sweater with a multicoloured pearl yoke,
cuffs and a high collar made from seal fur.

The seal skin pants feature colourful patterns.

Rounding out the ensemble is a pair of leather thigh-high white
boots, or kamik.

"It was like she has always been wearing the national costume,"
Davidsen said. "She looked gorgeous."

Frederik's sister-in-law, Hong-Kong-born Princess Alexandra, the wife
of Prince Joachim, also received a traditional Greenland dress. The
dress is typically worn during celebrations.

Greenland is a semiautonomous Danish territory.

Members of the royal family visit the Arctic island annually.
Wow, I want to see pictures of that! :) And of Alexandra too!

here is an article froma swedish newspaper about mary's weightloss. they are comparing her to CP Victoria, as far as I can understand from the pictures alove, since i speak no swedish what so ever.

perhaps someone can tell us what their conclusion is?

anyway, i guess they have a point, mary is getting thinner and thinner...
http://www.aftonbladet.se/kvinna/0404/26/N...ary1-99_368.jpg
http://www.aftonbladet.se/kvinna/0404/26/N...ary2-69_368.jpg

link: http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/kvinna/story...,468476,00.html

But Mary does not look anorexic to me. :unsure: She has lost weight in the nearly 2 years she has been in Denmark, but 2 years is a long time even to lose 10 or so kilos.

If she lost 10 kilos in 3 months that would be big problem, but the photos are many many months apart? Jenny Craig would think the time length was appropriate I am sure ;)

Originally posted by Canonette@Apr 26th, 2004 - 5:50 am
But Mary does not look anorexic to me. :unsure: She has lost weight in the nearly 2 years she has been in Denmark, but 2 years is a long time even to lose 10 or so kilos.
I agree; despite Mary's very evident weight loss she does not look anorexic. However, if she does continue to lose more weight, she might appear that way, even if she is not. I hope she does not lose more weight however. I know that many brides lose weight in the run up to their wedding, but any more and Mary will be bare skin and bones. :(

I worry about her. Perhaps it is only a pre-wedding thing. But she used to be so healthy looking. I wish her good health.

Originally posted by Dennism@Apr 27th, 2004 - 5:30 pm
I worry about her. Perhaps it is only a pre-wedding thing. But she used to be so healthy looking. I wish her good health.
I agree that it is somewhat of a pre-wedding thing, but I think it also has to do with realizing that you are in the public eye and now a public figure. Many people start to lose weight when they become public figures, royal or celebrity.

I am sure that Mary sees photographs of herself in magazines and certain places. If you are not a very confident person with a strong sense of self, you do start to feel that you need to lose weight, that you are fat, and even compare yourself to other women (in Mary's case most likely those in royal circles) and feel that you could be thinner and should be thinner. After her engagement announcement as well, Mary became "official" for lack of a better word, and she now has many things to learn and more obligations which can become a worry at times. When you are learning a new language, protocol, being introduced to people and making the rounds so to speak skipping meals or cutting them short is very common. Sometimes you may even forget to eat because of the stress of the situation.

Mary has been consistently losing weight since she came to Denmark, therefore I doubt that this is only a wedding thing but a combination of things.

I agree that she might be feeling self-conscious about her appearance. Even though it's not a healthy thing, I can't honestly say that I wouldn't feel the same way. It must be hard to be constantly scruntinized.

I also think that alot of the weight loss can be attributed to stress. I know I always start loosing weight rapidly when I am stressed. She has probably been under an immense amount of stress these past few months and that certainly can't help matters.

Yes, comparison to the other women. Too bad that she feels that. I thought she was fairly confident before but that is it. She is in a new situation and she is nervous and a result of that could be the losing of weight. Stress. I thought of that. But I eat more if I am nervous. Ha ha ha. :p

I've heard that many people have a problem with her-why is that?

I've heard rumours about people not liking Mary-why is this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said Jacquline and Dennism. I can see where she would be stressed. The public opinion alone would wear me out :p not to mention trying to learn the ins and outs of being royal and the protocol that goes with it all. Add to that a royal wedding! I'd have no hair from pulling it out and no nails from biting them off :lol:

Originally posted by monos26@Apr 28th, 2004 - 12:32 pm
I've heard rumours about people not liking Mary-why is this?
I think all people experience losing of weight at a certain point in their life. May it be the effect of too much pressure, stress or just a personal will to be thinner and slimmer.

In Mary's case, I think she slimmed down because she is not yet immuned to a life of a future very important royal. It's pressure added with all the protocols she has to learn and live by after the 14th of May. Think about all the people who criticise her and those who praise her. Sort of confusing but maybe after a few months of being a princess when she's married, then she might gain weight.

One can't also please everyone because we are all unique and we hate and love different persons. There are persons who don't like Mary 100% and there are those who really like her.

I think Mary looks just OK. I don’t think that she lost that much weight. To me she’s fine.

from the www.heraldsun.news.com.au

Tongue tied over talk task

AS she prepares to marry Denmark's crown prince, Australian Mary Donaldson says she is finding it hard to learn her fiance's mother tongue.

She confessed yesterday that, in private, the two converse in English.
"There are many difficult things about the Danish language. The pronunciation is hard," Ms Donaldson said in an interview shown on Danish TV network DR-1.

She spoke in Danish with a noticeable accent.

Crown Prince Frederik will marry Ms Donaldson on May 14 at Copenhagen's Lutheran cathedral.

The 32-year-old will become the first Australian woman to stand in line to become a queen.

"It takes a long time to learn to speak Danish because many Danes also speak English very well," she said.

When the couple are together, "we do speak a little bit of English . . . when I should be practising Danish," she said.

The interview was part of a documentary about the future crown princess made for the Danish Broadcasting Corporation. It will air on May 10.

from www.smh.com.au

A few more things about Mary

It has been an untroubled ascent so far for the girl from Hobart about to become a bona fide princess, writes Andrew Darby.

Once upon a time on the island of Tasmania, far, far away at the bottom of the world, was born a girl who would become European royalty.

The birth notice of February 5, 1972 in a Hobart newspaper was brief: "Donaldson. At QAH to John and Etta, a daughter (Mary Elizabeth)."

On that day, too, a 115-year-old shipwreck was found off Tasmania's west coast. A trade union official called Brian Harradine was in trouble with the ALP again. And the Eastside drive-in offered "pagan worship and virgin sacrifice" in When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth.

Auspiciously for the Aquarian newborn, it was also the first day of the Royal Hobart Regatta, a water sports carnival tightly bound to the imperial past.

Thirty-two years later Senator Brian Harradine remains an enigma, but the regatta is much reduced in prestige, the drive-in gone, the shipwreck forgotten. And Mary Elizabeth's star has risen.

On May 14 in an afternoon ceremony she will marry Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark. Ahead of the wedding of the first Australian-born woman to stand in line to be queen, here are 10 things to know about Mary:

She won't be Tasmania's first princess. The kindly Pauline Curran of Hobart in 1926 married Prince Maximilian Melikoff, of the Romanovs, the exiled Russian Royal Family. Princess Melikoff died in 1988, bequeathing a substantial legacy to save "the whales and the baby seals".

Like many Tasmanians, Donaldson learnt to travel early and make new friends in strange places. When she first went to pre-school it was in Houston, Texas, where her mathematician father was teaching.

Back in her birthplace soon after, she joined the same public education ladder of many solid middle-class Hobart families who either were not wealthy, or rejected the private system. Sandy Bay Infants School, Waimea Heights Primary (motto: Ever Onward), and Taroona High School are all small institutions with great outlooks over the Derwent, open to a world beyond their grounds.

When education got serious, she didn't stray far from her solid brick suburban home. Mary stayed in the state system at Hobart Matriculation College, and then at the University of Tasmania, each nearby in safe Sandy Bay.

She had a bit of physical hardness to her. Small and wiry in build, her best remembered sports were hockey and horse-riding. Women hockey players take no prisoners in Hobart. On horseback she took on the gruelling combination of dressage and jumps in one-day eventing.

She has had boyfriends, but they haven't talked, and neither have her two sisters who still live here. Sandy Bay's pubs and clubs have been well trawled. The only memories to appear are vague and complimentary, along the lines of: "You knew when she walked into a room that she was something special. Not Nicole Kidman sexy. More Jackie [Kennedy]."

One other person can rival her for colourful Danish-Tasmanian history. In the 19th century Jorgen Jorgensen helped colonise Hobart, took part in an Anglo-Danish war, spied for England, led an overthrow of Danish rule in Iceland, and returned to Hobart a convict.

Her marriage will link Mary to most royal households of Europe. They will have the good fortune to be tied to at least one dinkum Australian tradesman. Her sister Patricia, a nurse, recently married a Hobart plasterer, Scott Bailey.

Frederick appears to have had one early win. Mary put her foot down against sailing when they were in Hobart last. Their wedding will be preceded by a match race in Copenhagen in which she will sail against her husband.

Her wedding dress may not be the only costume of curiosity to the Danish. If her father follows his recent Hobart precedent, he'll wear a kilt.

Yes I've always heard about the other princess... I think an Australian also married an Indonesian or some other south-east Asian prince, so Mary is not the first. But when she becomes queen, she will be the first Australian.

Originally posted by Jasl@Apr 30th, 2004 - 12:31 am
Yes I've always heard about the other princess... I think an Australian also married an Indonesian or some other south-east Asian prince, so Mary is not the first. But when she becomes queen, she will be the first Australian.
yes Jasl, an australian married a balinesse prince i think, i once read in a magazine somewhere.

Crown Princess Mary News: April 2004 - June 2004

I know that there are those that do not like Mary and those that are at least willing to give her a chance to prove herself. I am new to this board and have been observing all of the reactions to the engagement of Mary and Frederik. I have a couple of questions for any of you that may know. Was HM QM pleased with Frederiks choice of a wife? Publically, Mary and HM seem to get on quite nicely, however, there can be great differences in public versus private feelings. QM seems to genuinely care for and respect Alexandra. I just wonder if it is the same with regards to Mary? Thank you for any information. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom