Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by tigerlilly23@Feb 12th, 2004 - 2:28 am

3 and when mary made here first press confrence last year on her engagament day the pres asked her a very easy question about what does she know about denmark? And she answered aans christen anderson......

I'm not crticizing her i just want you guys to think a little bite more deeply about the things you read about her and to question weather it true or not with what you think and belive about this girl. ;)
I think everyone has written good comments regardin the questions. And I believe someone has already said in this thread what I'm going to say....

..... but I just wanted to highlight that the question Mary was asked in the press conference was what did she know about Denmark, that is BEFORE the engagement, so Mary said the designer of the Opera House and Hans Christian Andersen. She was not asked what she had learnt about Denmark since she's been living there.

I agree that we have to think carefully about the things we read, but at the same time, I believe the questioner also asked us to comment on something which didn't really happen (i.e. that Mary was asked what she knew about Denmark after living there. This is incorrect as Mary was asked what "what did you know" not "what do you know"). So perhaps the questioner ought be more careful as well on the things we are being asked to comment on? This is not meant as an attack, but I have read some threads claiming that perhaps QM found out that mary's a spender, hence the 10% limit, but this is untrue since all the consorts get 10% only, not just Mary. And that Fred might have moved houses because Mary was distracting him or perhaps had a fight, when others have already said that Fred and mary lived in different addresses to start with.

Just a thouht that's all. It would probably save all much ado about things that didn't really happen.

Originally posted by *Elle*@Feb 13th, 2004 - 1:18 am
How can you say that all a crown princess is for is to have children? That is horrible! People used to think that having children is all that women are for. Our society has drastically changed and Mary should participate in politics just as much as CPF.
                                                      Elle
Sorry to burst your bubble but I have to agree with Sheeba on this. Why do you think they made Mary take all those fertility test? Do you think if she was infertile a marriage would proceed?

I agree it's sad in this day and age people think like this(I don't agree either) but the main purpose is for Mary to produce an heir...... ;)

Elle, ever since Divine Right ended and Monarchs were made to be constituional they are not to get involved politically unless they want their heads chopped of (figuratively speaking ofcourse), obviously various monarchs across Europe have varying degrees of power, but look at it this way look at what happened in Greece and if Mary had any common sense she would stay well clear of Politics the role of the monarchy as an institution today is that of continuity (hence the emphasis on birth) ceremony, unity and stability. They do charity work as part of noblesse oblige. You're not allowed to work or have any opinions as this might risk some sort of political backlash if not a national backlash. Its a boring job you smile, you meet dignitaries, you smile some more and make boring speeches. And once in awhile your government forces you to go out and meet dictators as part of their foreign policy and you are obliged to attend whether you like it or not. And you live in a big house with loads of spare time. It might sound ghastly but hey these girls opted to marry into it. if they wanted a job the ability to express their opinions they should have stuck with trying to net a CEO or investment banker etc you get the lifestyle with the freedom.And if you get divorced you ask for half. The only drawback you can't demand your staff call you a princess. Although you can force your friends to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lori Posted on Feb 13th, 2004 - 1:03 am
According to Sheeba, MM's and Maxima's jobs are done, now what? Live happily ever after? It does require intelligence to survive that world.

=========

Actually Lori, I went into more detail about the other Crown Princess. As I stated im my post That PART (having children--the major part) Has Been Fulfilled--Mathilde, Maxima and MM.

The world knows that Mary underwent a Fertility Test, as CD stated Do you think if she was infertile a marriage would proceed?

From what I have seen the other PART/JOB of a CP is to do Charity Work, Baptize Ships, Hosptial Wings ect.. and attend Official Functions (to be Seen not Heard)

It sounds/looks HARSH but it is TRUE

I would love to see ALL the Crown Princess and future CP take on a more "High-Level" Role

CD you did not bust my bubble. I was just shocked. Luckily my bubble is still intact. I had not the slightest idea that they made her take a fertility test. I guess all they want is an heir. How sad for Mary. Do they make all CP take fertility tests? I would never agree to such a thing. I know that monarchies do very little in the political world. Really when it comes down to it monarchies are just a social status symbol.
Elle
(I guess that I was wrong.)

My goodness! Her teachers say a couple of nice things about her and then everyone is like, "Oh, well that means she's a know-it-all and she is this and that..." Please people- her teachers said something kind about a student that any teacher would say about any good student. Their comments neither say nor imply that there were any hidden meanings or that Mary is a know-it-all or dumb as a post. You may not like her, but that doesn't mean you have to contort everything she or anyone says about her to fit your negative image of her. I vote we're all a bit more charitable in our judgments of Mary -- Just thought we could give it a shot! :p

people relax i'm not here trying to crtize mary in anyway but what do you think the main job of a jornalist or a newpaper reporter is ? Is it to sell papers or is it to make freinds with people? The way danish media at the momment is writing things on mary is put her in a good context saying things like she is intelligent etc. The
media at the momment sounds like it can't do damage to her popularity and profile at the momment and it hasn't. But when she turns into a princess and strats doing her job for the royal family will the media be so forgiving if she makes a minor mistake. The media and gossip mags are there for a reason they don't always want you to hear all the lovey dovey stuff becouse poeple would stop buying papers and mag's so they need to put in same controversal atricles to make poeple react. That what i have seen so far the papers are putting out the lovey dovey stuff on mary at this time but in six months will the paper want to keep writing about lovey dovey mary and fred or will they take a minor incedent and twist the truth to there benifit to sell a story to the poeple. It happen it diania princess of wales so how do we know it can't happen to any other princess there not in control of the media and what the media writes about them. I hear about how diana and charles were fighting well into there new marrige and the pulic didn't evan know about the arugemts that they had becouse why it would make the place look bad so they covered it up. When they divorced and dian found a new guy there were atricles being written about how diana was going to get married to a new man becouse they saw a ring on her finger and becouse she had a fat belly the media wrote about her being pregant with another man's baby and these were all lies so can you trust the media mags with everthing they write about celibraites and royal families i don't think you can and that why we need to strat questioning these articles about mary and fred becouse they sound suger coated at the momment but what happens when they suger coating starts to dissolve and we see the real deal between these two poeple. Don't always belive everything you read.

And what about the brittney and mandonna kissing thing do you think that was an acident or was it planned and janet jackson and justin timberlake ripping her top and exposing her boob do you think that was a accident or was it staged? Maybe we need to strat asking ourselves the same question with royal families was it an accident or was it planned?

enjoy your day people ;)

Dennism  Posted: Feb 12th, 2004 - 1:28 pm

I don't like that description of a crown princess. Not all Crown Princesses are there to produce an heir and a spare.
I think Fred would have had to abdicate if Mary wasn't fertile.

Abdicate? Strong word...

Besides if those tests had proven that she hadn't been fertile, the odds of us knowing about it would be nil.

As long as Joachim & Alexandra has two healthy children that are in line for the throne it doesn't matter if Mary and Frederik doesn't produce any. It would be sad for them, of course, but it wouldn't be a constitutional crisis. Just look at Belgium with King Baudoin and Queen Fabiola. They didn't have any children, and Belgium is still a monarchy, no?

norwegianne  Posted: Feb 15th, 2004 - 5:50 am

Abdicate? Strong word...

Besides if those tests had proven that she hadn't been fertile, the odds of us knowing about it would be nil.

As long as Joachim & Alexandra has two healthy children that are in line for the throne it doesn't matter if Mary and Frederik doesn't produce any. It would be sad for them, of course, but it wouldn't be a constitutional crisis. Just look at Belgium with King Baudoin and Queen Fabiola. They didn't have any children, and Belgium is still a monarchy, no?

Good points.

I wonder if attitudes have changed to take advantage of modern science?

Or, is it a case of commoners getting checked out, whereas ladies of royal lines are exempted?

I think Henry VIII set the precedent for that. There could never ever be anything wrong with a CP or King's sperm. It's always the womans fault.

Originally posted by Dennism@Feb 12th, 2004 - 1:28 pm
I don't like that description of a crown princess. Not all Crown Princesses are there to produce an heir and a spare.
Can you name one who isn't there to, among other things, produce an heir?

I agree it's sad in this day and age people think like this(I don't agree either) but the main purpose is for Mary to produce an heir...... ;) [/b]
I saw in a TV documentary last week that even Grace Kelly had to subject to fertility test before she could marry Prince Rainier of Monaco.

Last edited by a moderator:
But, it was different in Monaco. Heirs were need badly. Ranier's sister could'nt inherit the throne, because she was female. She can but her brother would of have to adopt her. But there was not a heir to the throne then Monaco would have gone back to France.

If they couldn't have children they could adopt a member of their family.
Now, that the law's changed, it makes it a bit different.

What if a crown prince/future king could not have children?

Then the throne would got to who's next on the succession list B)

Maxima haven't got a fertility test before the engagement. So why would other (future) CP's had?? If a test proves that you can get pregnant, it isn't over. I have heard of couples who were both fertil, but the wife didn't get pregnant.

Take for example Sophie Wessex. She was fertil, but needed IVF to get pregnant. Unfortunately she got a misscarriage, but the pregnancy of Louise was naturally and everything went okay. With no IVF, just the good old Mother Nature.

So a fertility test doens't say anything. It is Mother Earth who makes the final decision....

Originally posted by royal_sophietje@Feb 19th, 2004 - 3:27 pm
Maxima haven't got a fertility test before the engagement.
I don't think we know that. I would think that a lot of people, especially CPss get fertility tests now. ANyone know where Mary get fertility test news come from?

I have been told they all do. I don't know how reliable that information is. Its up to the discretion of the Royal Household to divulge the details. The Danes I guess in the case of Mary decided to be honest and release the details. Historically speaking there have been too many pretenders to the throne and wars fought on the basis of succession rights that I think in the 21st Century Royal Households would love the utilisation of technology to somehow manage a risk in the future. And yes passing a fertility test does not mean you will have children -Look whats happening in Japan. They've put so much stress on the poor CP's. How on earth are you supposed to bear children with that amount of pressure. Funnily enough if Wallis Simpson had had a fertility test she would never have been allowed to marry King Edward on grounds that 1)she was a divorcee and 2) she could not bear children. Interesting isn;t it!

And what is the Crown Prince/Princess is the one who's infertile? These make no sense.

Originally posted by norwegianne@Feb 15th, 2004 - 5:50 am
Abdicate? Strong word...

Just a note. Queen Fabiola wasn't infertile per se. She had several pregnancies, however, she was never able to carry to term. :(

Yes, as long as Joachim and Alexandra have issue (which they do), it's fine.

Originally posted by Alisa@Feb 17th, 2004 - 10:52 pm
What if a crown prince/future king could not have children?

Then the throne would got to who's next on the succession list B)
Right now, Fred is next in line to the throne, then Joachim and his two sons.
If Fred and Mary have no heirs, either Joachim or Nicolai could inherit the throne.

Because I know everybody wants to know...Mary Donaldson was picked as the 87th Sexiest Woman in the world according to FHM Australia New Zealand. I could not find the complete list for this year in my "research". However, I looked at last year`s list and they did not even have Catriona Rowntree on it so it is hardly a great list to begin with...

She is a Australian TV Personality. Quite cute if I may say so. Great personality too. I`ve seen her on a Travel show called Getaway. Really cool show. There are several people on it. Not just Catriona, I mean.

Hmm, I've never heard of her. Is she on the travel channel? I've never seen her or the show. And I watch the Travel Channel alot. Weird obsession I know and I probably should'nt admit that.

Getaway was on the Style Network until about September. I don`t know where else you can see it around here.

April 9, 2004 - TV2 Denmark

Mary: Future Danish Fashion Icon

With her reserved, streamlined and classic style, princess-to-be Mary Donaldson will become what her predecessor Queen Ingrid was for Denmark in the 1930's: a fashion icon.

"Mary Donaldson is an elegant woman. Her perfect posture and her dignified attitude parallels a young Queen Ingrid," according to 83-year-old Celli Freifeldt, dressmaker and purveyor to Her Majesty the late Queen Ingrid. Freifeldt adds there are even similarities between Ms Donaldson and American first lady Jackie Kennedy. Dressmaker Kenth Fredin agrees: "There is no doubt about it: Mary will become a trendsetter. It's practically in her job description. If she doesn't become a style icon she will be hailed as the quirky princess or something," he says with reference to Princess Alexandra's confident though slightly more classic style.

Fredin is a former student of dressmaker Joergen Bender who designed and created both Queen Margrethe and Princess Alexandra's wedding gowns. When it comes to Mary Donaldson's bridal outfit, however, Fredin's lips are sealed. Mary also has a good sense for Danish fashion, Susanne Rützou notes. The Danish designer is an avid observer when it comes to Mary's wardrobe and describes her style as a blend of classic and casual with an eye for detail and femininity.

"She has already shown interest in temporary Danish fashion, and because of her status as a public personality, she could very easily become an ambassador for Danish fashion," Susanne Rützou predicts.

April 13, 2004 - TV2 Denmark

Mary Takes The Queen To The Movies

On Easter Monday, the fiancée of the Danish Crown Prince, Ms. Mary Donaldson, went to the movies with her future mother-in-law HRH Queen Margrethe II. Mary and Margrethe had tickets for Mel Gibson's controversial epic "The Passion of the Christ" - an appropriate choice in light of the Christian holiday. With its fair share of blood and violence, Mel Gibson's latest creation has spurred equally violent reactions among critics and audiences. Even the clergy has been highly critical of the film which portrays the life and not least the death of Jesus Christ. The royal family gathered for Easter celebrations at Marselisborg palace in Jutland and attended an Easter service at a church in Aarhus on Easter Sunday. Just before Easter, the royal family and Australian-born Mary Donaldson were invited to the opening of a new art museum in Aarhus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom