General News about the Danish Royal Family Part 3: November 2015 - August 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How nice that they could go to a festival like any other family, and not cause a stir. It seems that Margarethe and Henrik both need help walking. And every picture of the twins shows how fast they are growing.

The Queen, Henrik, Frederik and Mary with their 4 kids were seen at a festival today. Ziggy and two other dogs arrived with the family too.

Article and video of them arriving (2 pictures)
De kongelige ville høre historier i skoven - sn.dk - Forsiden - Nordsjælland - Gribskov

"The royal family appeared Sunday surprisingly to the festival 'Wood Stories' by Fændrikhus
in Gribskov.*It's the north coast storytellers behind this weekend's story festival on the occasion of the association's tenth anniversary.*The whole*weekend 19 storytellers from Denmark, the Faroe Islands and Sweden entertained with stories,*legends, myths, fairy tales, anecdotes and stories."

Vincent on a swing, next to Frederik
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=b3e93714efb8b7a7e666484c8f4db215&oe=57D2C4EB

in the video you can see Mary arrive holding hands with Isabella and Josephine. Next to Frederik. Christian holding the two smaller dogs on leashes, Ziggy is among the first off the boat. And Vincent found the swing.

Thanks Polyesco :flowers:

How nice. This can so easily be done in Denmark. Even we are talking about a Queen and 2 x Heirs to the thrones. No media at all appear to have been present. The video is from one of the organizers.

Here I am not seeing a Queen, Prince and Crown Prince couple... Here I just see a grandmother and grandfather on a picnic with their son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren .. and 3 dogs.. not least ;)

From the article:

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik and the Crown Prince Family, Frederik Mary and their four children and dog, Ziggy, had yesterday a nice Sunday with storytelling in the woods.

The entire royal family appeared Sunday surprisingly up to the festival 'Wood Stories' by Fændrikhus in Gribskov.
The whole weekend has 19 storytellers from Denmark, the Faroe Islands and Sweden entertained with stories, legends, myths, fairy tales, anecdotes and stories that narrators have made.

The royasl were represented in three generations, Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, along with their four children and dog, and they sailed to Fændrikhus from Fredensborg distributed in Esrum bådfarts two ferries Thor and Viking.

The festival has got great visit, and the royal family's three generations and two dogs had fun with storytelling in the shade on the terrace.

This lovely little family outting has reach the large media :flowers:

TV2:

"The DRF on picnic - you did not notice them"
Kongefamilien på skovtur: - Mange lagde slet ikke mærke til hvem de var - TV 2

- The atmosphere was very relaxed. Everyone was in good spirits, and the children played among the other visitors.

So says Chairman of the north coast storytellers, Karl Erik Frederiksen, about the royal family's private picnic for Wood Stories by Esrum the weekend.

In the weekend's splendid sunshine Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik, Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and their four children, Christian 11, Isabella 9 and the five year old twins Josephine and Vincent - and the two royal dachshunds Evita and Helike and Mary and Frederik's border collie Ziggy - met up unannounced at Traktørstedet Fændrikshus in Gribskov.
He explains that the royal family was the their during the day and spned it go with a variety of activities - among others were Prince Christian very interested in the stories from Denmark, Sweden and the Faroe Islands that was told to the event. In addition, the boys, Christian and Vincent, also played croquet with their mother, Crown Princess Mary. There was also dog Ziggy an avid participant. Crown Prince Frederik fished from the bridge and also of a boat with the kids.

TV2 article: Suddenly the DRF privately met up and surprised everyone
Pludselig dukkede det meste af kongefamilien op: Tog på privat skovtur blandt danskerne - TV 2

BT article:
Se billederne fra kongefamiliens skovtur: Pludselig dukkede Margrethe og Henrik op hånd i hånd

:previous: yes:flowers:
Here is the official announcement
Kongehuset går på de sociale medier | Kongehuset

Nice picture of the Queen and heir ;)
http://kongehuset.dk/sites/default/...public/pressefoto_lancering.jpg?itok=uR7ZHzVc

added:
an article about the launch
http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/kultur/med...-profil?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

" It's fun to see the crown prince take a picture of the queen in the video, they have put out today. He is the new generation, thus showing that the Danish royal family is definitely with, she says, adding:
- One can also see that the queen is not uncomfortable about to take the picture, now when her own son. She looks almost completely proud."

Last edited:

I remember seeing these in CP Mary's fashion thread and was wondering what event they were from, and now I know - thank you for sharing these. It looks as if the day was fun for everyone, it was cute to see the children having a nice time. I love the photo of Vincent and Ziggy!

Thanks, JessRulz. :flowers:

Nice composition. I like it!
Interesting to place the most French part of the family with PH.

The DRF Facebook and Instagram account have been up and running for a couple of weeks no, and here is an assessment from Lene Balleby:
Kongehuset om Facebook-profil: Vi sletter grænseoverskridende kommentarer - TV 2

I guess the way the DRF handle things behind the scenes is not much different from other RFs, but lets have it.

So far the DRF has some 75.000 followers. (Around two million Danes have a profile on Facebook). And so far they've had to delete some 20 posts that were deemed too offensive.
Lene Balleby: "We've had to delete some comments because they have been out of line or insulting and really verbally abused people. Not just members of the DRF but also other users. We don't want to see that kind of things on our platforms. When the language becomes so personally offensive and low that I don't even wish to repeat it, the we delete the comments".

But actually the administration has been pleased that so few comments have had to be deleted.

The DRF have looked at the BRF, NRF and SRF to learn and see how they do things. As such the content and the tone/level/language has been considered as well as the fact that the language can be very rough on Facebook.
So the guideline is that the comments must be relevant and polite.

That means that comments that are critical are tolerated, like PH's retirement. Alexandra's apanage or M&F going to Saudi Arabia.

"We don't wish to break with the freedom of speech. So even though people are critical in regards to the post and the language is perhaps a littl over the line, we leave the comments, because it's an opinion people are entitled to have. There must be room for debate.
If we for example share a picture of Dannebrog (the flag) and someone express that thy don't want to pay for the DRF. then it's not something we delete".

Among the examples of negative comments, is that the DRF is labeled the "world's most costly welfare-recipients".
Or this: Well, well, Frederik. It's never too late to show some gravitas. This has the beginning of amounting to something. (I don't know what it refers to). I'm SO tired of seeing you run an ironman and watch handball matches, skiing, play school-soccer, sailing and so on. You are going to be 50 soon. That's the last call for even the heaviest to grow up".

Ja ja, Frederik. Det er aldrig for sent at begynde at vise lidt format. Disse takter begynder at ligne noget. Jeg er SÅ træt af at se dig løbe ironman, se håndboldkampe, stå på ski, spille skolefodbold, sejle osv. Nu bliver du snart 50, det er seneste udkald for selv de tungeste for at blive voksen.

But it's not just Frederik: Sorry, but it really is only Crown Princess Mary and Crown Prince Frederik and the Queen, who contribute and work hard on behalf of the entire DRF.

Even though some of the posts consists of material (video or photos) that are made by members of the DRF, they are not involved in running the Facebook and Instagram accounts. So don't expect a "like" from Christian.

And this is not the place to engage in a debate with the DRF: "We have of course thought about how to relate to what people are writing. We have decided not to be active participants in commentating, and that is simply a question of resources. But the users are welcome to have a dialogue among themselves.
But we have only just begun and we are naturally keeping an eye on what wished the users come up with in the future. We will over time consider the way we are present and follow the general development".

Thanks for that Muhler. I have to say facebook is not really a good forum for any Royal House to use as all the nutcases, whingers and other ratbags can get on there saying all sorts of horrible things. Especially when it is not the general concensus of the majority of the people.
I just don't see it as a good idea for Royals to use, but that's just my personal opinion.

You are welcome, Tarlita. :)

I'm not quite sure where else to post this, so here we go.

This is a BT article about Joachim and Frederik's time in high school: Bortvist for druk og mobning: Så vildt var gymnasielivet, da Frederik og Joachim blev studenter for 30 år siden

They went to Øregaard Gymnasium at the same time, graduating with average marks (Frederik) and above average (Joachim), but their Danish marks were above average (Frederik) and almost top marks (Joachim). I.e. only one mark below perfect.

They were pretty much treated like everybody else. Addressed with informal you and went to parties, kissed and got drunk.
Here both Joachim and Frederik met their first known sweethearts.
Frederik met Mie Egmont, whom he went steady with for a while. And Joachim met Helene Bjerg-Pedersen, with whom he was steady for three years.

And yes, they were hunted by girls! And hearts were drawn on blackboards (remember them?) with an F in the middle.
And there was a scandal as well. Joachim and seven friends showed up at an amateur performance at the high school, half drunk. Here they ruined the performance by jeering and throwing pellets of bon-bon at the actors.
As a result Joachim (and his mates) got a note home to his parents informing them that their son had been expelled for eight days.
(I remember that clearly. It was headline news here in DK! - Joachim apparently has a distinct laughter and he was heard laughing loudly while the mischief went on. Unfortunately Frederik who was no part of it, got his share of the public attention).

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks, Muhler. What is the legal drinking age in Denmark?

The legal age for buying alcohol up to 16.5% is sixteen.

The legal age for buying alcohol over 16.5% is eighteen.

There is no legal age for drinking as such, but of course minors, i.e. under fifteen, who are found drunk alone in the streets is an issue for the social services.

The age from when you can be charged and sentenced for committing a criminal offense is fifteen and that is also BTW the age of consent.

The legal age for buying cigarettes is eighteen.

- I thought I might just as well answer similar questions in advance - while watching this absolutely dull second half between Poland and Germany. ;)

Sounds like boys will be boys to me, especially when they have a few too many drinks.

LOL. I didn't know these stories, thanks for sharing Muhler! Especially that part about Joachim's laughter being so easy to recognize made me chuckle. Typically teenagers being bored and pulling pranks... Let's remind him now that his own sons may be up to things now and then :lol:

:lol: Yes, everything considered it was pretty innocent.

You are welcome, Tarlita. :)

I'm not quite sure where else to post this, so here we go.

This is a BT article about Joachim and Frederik's time in high school: Bortvist for druk og mobning: Så vildt var gymnasielivet, da Frederik og Joachim blev studenter for 30 år siden

They went to Øregaard Gymnasium at the same time, graduating with average marks (Frederik) and above average (Joachim), but their Danish marks were above average (Frederik) and almost top marks (Joachim). I.e. only one mark below perfect.

They were pretty much treated like everybody else. Addressed with informal you and went to parties, kissed and got drunk.
Here both Joachim and Frederik met their first known sweethearts.
Frederik met Mie Egmont, whom he went steady with for a while. And Joachim met Helene Bjerg-Pedersen, with whom he was steady for three years.

And yes, they were hunted by girls! And hearts were drawn on blackboards (remember them?) with an F in the middle.
And there was a scandal as well. Joachim and seven friends showed up at an amateur performance at the high school, half drunk. Here they ruined the performance by jeering and throwing pellets of bon-bon at the actors.
As a result Joachim (and his mates) got a note home to his parents informing them that their son had been expelled for eight days.
(I remember that clearly. It was headline news here in DK! - Joachim apparently has a distinct laughter and he was heard laughing loudly while the mischief went on. Unfortunately Frederik who was no part of it, got his share of the public attention).

Never knew Joachim got expelled. Wow.
Very nice pictures of teenage Frederik and Joachim

Teenage boys are always going to get up to some sort of mischief. Just look at Prince Harry and it hasn't hurt his popularity now he has grown up. Trouble is in todays media an embarrassing photo can be reprinted decades later just to make you cringe all over again.

Well, well, well. The editor-in-chief of the gossip mag, Her & Nu, has been resigned.

Efter skandalehistorier om kongehuset: Kendt chef for dansk ugeblad stopper

You may recall that it was Her & Nu that wrote about Marie's breasts and also that Frederik had visited a prostitute, only to have to retract both these stories.
Nevertheless the editor maintained the stories were true.

And today the hammer fell.
Erling Tind Larsen has, after consultations with the management in the publishing house Her & Nu belongs to, resigned.
He says: "It's in the wake of the turbulence the magazine was caught - after that I have over the past three weeks spoken with the management about the future line and it's become clear that we are not in agreement in regards to the future of the magazine. So it's a completely natural consequence that we have agreed about ending things here".

---

And you are right, Tarlita.
Sometimes the odd mistake endears the royals to the general public and makes them more human. But is so much depends on the person!
Harry, having served his country in combat and being the people's person he is, may have been way easier to forgive than other royals.

Last edited:
Seriously, these magazines need to look for real facts. :bang:

:previous: That'll be the day... :whistling:

Tonight the German network ZDF will show a documentary about the, ahem, ripples there has been in regards to the Regent Couple recently, not least in regards to PH's antics.
In comparison the programme will also feature M&F, highlighting their popularity and how they are taking over and seen as ready to take over.
Tonight at 20.15

And since ZDF is a public service channel you should be able to watch it outside Germany.
http://www.zdf.de/zdfzeit/zdfzeit-5991614.html

The article about the programme appear more intelligent than average for such documentaries: http://www.zdf.de/zdfzeit/kurs-auf-die-krone-44085258.html
ADDED: I see you can actually watch the docu here.

Cool, perhaps I'll write a summary tonight for the German-challenged.

Last edited:
Okay, I've watched the docu and it was actually very good.

In fact I couldn't possibly have done a better job myself, if I had been tasked with telling a summary about the controversy and background for PH's retirement.
How Frederik was initially very shy and not that keen about becoming king eventually.
How Mary entered his life and the difference that made for Frederik and also how she coped with the dramatic change in her life.
How PH came to DK at the age of 33 and certainly initially was welcomed with open arms. But also his problems about his role as primary support to his wife, without having a clear defined role for himself.
PH is treated fairly without ignoring his faults.
The upbringing of Frederik and Joachim is also touched. I still remember the uproar when the documentary with a crying Frederik was shown on TV! And also how in the absence of their parents Queen Ingrid meant so very for them.
Frederik is again-again compared with his morfar, Frederik IX. Especially how both of them are "folksy". People who meet them simply like them.
How QI & FIX and as the first Regent Couple in earnest opened the doors to their life to the public and as such had a considerable "touch" with people. And that was very much Queen Ingrid's idea, she was very good at PR.
The two of them very simply a strong team with Queen Ingrid being a very important councilor for Frederik IX. - And that means M&F are compared to them.
Interestingly it is suggested in this documentary that Mary has studied Queen Ingrid and how she did her job.
The Mary Foundation is touched but also how Mary in the beginning got some heat for focusing too much on fashion. And also women's rights, while at the same time having to visit countries were women are considered inferior.
From a political point of view Mary represent the values Denmark would like to stand for, when she's representing Denmark and also in her general work.
In contrast to his father, Frederik has never felt displeasure about being in the shadow of his wife, it is noticed.

How they raise their children to be in the public eye is also touched. It's a nice move towards the end where we see Christian picking up a tiara dropped by a girl in Greenland.

Interestingly it is observed that the current Regent Couple isn't as strong a team, as the former regent couple, and the regent couple to come.

The general thought that perhaps it's getting time for a change at the top is mentioned at the end. Reinforced by PH more or less absence.

- It's done in a well-rounded, matter of fact way, leaving out any "tabloid-speculations" and by asking serious people who have a reputable and solid background knowledge about the DRF.
It was a positive coverage, without being glossy and certainly without making it "fairy-tale".
All in all I'd wish they would show this docu in Australia, it's way better than anything I've seen so far from the Australian media. Who on top have a tendency to compare the BRF and the DRF.

The three Q&A to the video are relevant as well, but I think I'll leave that to someone else, there is TV to watch.

I do have two questions for our German friends:
A) The woman from Gala. Gala is I assume a magazine? What kind of magazine is that?
B) The person behind this documentary. What do you think of her?
And please, feel free to add or correct anything I have missed.

Last edited:
The wheels of justice turn slowly, but today it has been officially announced that eight persons have been indicted by the special attorney in connection with the Se & Hør scandal.
The publishing house Aller Press has also been indicted.
http://politiken.dk/kultur/medier/ECE3287107/otte-personer-tiltales-i-se-og-hoer-sagen/

Further details will come.

The trial will start on 9. September. It is expected to last 20 days and a sentence is expected in November.
This will be at the local (and lowest) court - Byretten. There is one in each major town.

- I'm certain the sentence will be appealed to the next level, Landsretten. There are two in DK, east and west.
And it's likely some of these sentences will again be appealed to the supreme court, Højeste Ret. - I doubt very much the case itself is so special that it will be handled by the supreme court, but the sentences may. I.e. they risk a higher, lower or the same sentence as in Landsretten.

UPDATE.
Aller Press has in effect pleaded guilty.
In an official statement they acknowledge to have a responsibility as a publishing house and are willing to pay the fine they expect to be sentenced.

One of those indicted are Henrik Qvortrup, who pleads not guilty. - You may recall that he was the editor-in-chief when the whole thing started. And despite the events taking place for several years under his managements he knew absolutely nothing...

Twelve persons were initially charged, eight of those have now bee indicted: http://nyheder.tv2.dk/erhverv/2016-07-06-otte-personer-tiltalt-i-se-og-hoer-sag

Last edited:
Thank you, Muhler, for all that information on the German documentary. It would be good to see it shown here in Australia, but I doubt that commercial tv would feel there is a market.

I am pleased the magazine has gone to court for there misdeeds. The court could easily find so many more stories totally made up about celebrities, I am sure. I think it is very wrong for magazines to write complete untruths about anyone. And they should be prosecuted more often. I just hope the fine will be big enough to make them stop.

:previous: Or prison.

The paragraphs they are charged with are rarely used and there is little if any precedent. The maximum sentence for the most severe paragraph carry a prison sentence for up to six years.
And as this is so serious, I doubt very much the two most incriminated editors-in-chiefs will get off with a suspended sentence.

Anyway, Friday at least one of those indicted will plead guilty at a court hearing. Presumably hoping to get off easier and simply get on with life.

You are welcome, Alicia. :)

The first sentences have been made in the Se & Hør scandal.

The publishing house Aller is fined 10 million DKK - 1.343.000 €

And two junior editors have each been given six months suspended prison sentence and 120 hours community service.

These are all cases where Aller and the two editors have confessed and the sentences reflect that fact.

The rest who are standing trial, have pleaded not guilty.

Article on the sentences: http://www.bt.dk/politik/aller-faar-millionboede-efter-se-og-hoer-skandalen-tidligere-chefer-faar-betinget-

The comments are trickling in.

Because this is a case without precedence in press-history, both in regards to scale and how it was organized.
So the sentences of two junior editors are an indication of the sentences that will be handed out to those who are more deeply involved. - I.e. prison, and not suspended.

Aller publishing house are pretty relieved and accept the sentence of a fine of ten million.
One of thee editors accepted the sentence on the spot.
The other has asked for time to consider whether to appeal.

But that means the confessions from the two editors are now a factor in the process against the other involved. Because they can now be called in as witnesses and as such are obliged to tell the whole truth, and since they have already been given a sentence, they have nothing to lose...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom