General News about the Danish Royal Family Part 3: November 2015 - August 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They will not be sold or put up for display though. The busts of M&F will be presented to QMII on her birthday next year.

I would so much like to see the faces of the DRF members the first time they have a chance to have a closer look at these busts. :D
I know I'm an old spoilsport but the word kitsch somehow pops up in my head.

From Jim Lyngvild. the bust of Frederik, more finished.
"And here he is... Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark.
Joachim Jensen and I have tried to hit as good as possible for the bristles of him, and I'm actually top proud.
His medals and fixes are not finished yet, but the face is in place.
And No, there is no plan to put bristles in production. It's a gift for the birthday party for her 80th birthday next year. If it is later made for official use, the time has to show."

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=98b14bf27256bad323bde18419d7235b&oe=5DE103A8
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=f15aeb51558cff3ab24c55e71a092345&oe=5DD79802
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=a584d03c0f993975a7c4c506c93f45c1&oe=5DA4D1FE

Jim Lyngvild, who is a declared super-royalist, and who is not afraid to speak his mind, has spoken up against people trying to get a selfie with the DRF.

https://www.bt.dk/kendte/lyngvild-skaber-stor-debat-stop-saa-med-de-selfier

He says: "You must have respect for the royals, and yes, it's damned cool to own a pic with the future king, but, you are allowed to have respect for those who can't say no. Because the Crown Prince and the Queen actually can't.
Think - and further than the tip of your nose."
He ends by asking if people don't have common decorum anymore.

- There have been lots of responses. Many agree, but other don't. Pointing out that the DRF can and do say no to selfies from time to time.

Jim Lyngvild don't give a hoot about that argument though:
"I have read that people writes: may child asked and got a no. Well,then I have to ask whether your child is bad mannered/badly brought up.
Keep in mind that the royals haven't chosen their position. And they have to be in it for the rest of their lives. So they must be allowed to have that sanctuary. It's about we people being so badly mannered that you think you can allow yourself anything, that you can allow yourself to drag anything down to a low level.

He is asked whether he can understand that other don't feel as super-royalist as him.

He responds:
"I do know this will create a debate. But to me this family is sacred - like the Pope. (Lyngvild belongs to the Asa faith BTW. I.e. the old Nordic gods.) We must have someone in this world, whom we look up to and don't drag down to that low selfie-level."

The journalist point to several saying that they got a no. Do they lie?
"I won't be the judge of that. They (the DRF) are fortunately all the time surrounded by people who protects them.
Everyone remembers when Joachim did not want to be on informal you with a journalist. the same thing would happen if the Queen one day rejected a selfie, perhaps because she had a headache or thought she had a bad hair day. It would be a big story and that's not fair."

---

Well, he's passionate man, eh? ?

I agree and disagree with him.
I don't understand the craze with selfies. I prefer to see with my own eyes and take it in, whatever it is I see. And if it's an event or something spectacular I can usually obtain a much better photo, than I could take myself. And I don't see any reason to ruin a perfectly good photo by putting my face in the picture... ;)
I think you miss a lot in the hunt for a good selfie. And I also think that, depending on the circumstances, it's bad manners. If royals walk down a row of people, at least have the cutesy to face them, rather than turn your back on them. Let go of your phone for a moment.

Having said that. I don't think the problem is that big. It is my impression that the DRF are not plagued with requests for selfies, especially not on the job. Except when they mingle. - And we should also keep in mind that mostly such requests stems from genuine enthusiasm. Like when at the Royal Run.
Nor is it my impression than people try and stop members of the DRF if they encounter them on the street. The CP-couple's private tour of DK is a testament to that, I think.

QMII, who see the whole subject from a reverse point of view, has several times expressed her amusement, of seeing people being busy holding their phones. Something she finds very comical.

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #39, 2019.
Written by Dorte Quist.

This is about some of the presents the DRF members have received or presented to each other.
Like this Nautilus-goblet/trophy which a gift of love from QMII to her husband and full of symbols.
https://app.box.com/s/5frht60wg4in1ojtnkwgefsra8k4ijdc
https://app.box.com/s/zkd4au3txubbhmg2aqa12lwvdjokb5hl
It was made by the goldsmith Torben Hardenberg and presented to PH in 1992 at their silver anniversary.
The shell itself is from a nautilus-octopus that QMII bought in Rome. The rest is made from gold, silver, diamonds, sapphires, rubies, emeralds, lapis luzuli and red corals.
The goblet is standing on three legs, with wine grapes - a reference to Chateus de Cayx.
The edge of the shell is adorned with daisies - referring to QMII herself.
The hull is a replica of the hull of Dannebrog.
In front of the hull is a mermaid - a reference to the fairy tale by H. C. Andersen. The mermaid is holding a round brooch made from rubies and brilliants. - The circle symbolizing marriage.
The bow-spit of the hull is twisted - a reference to the narwhal tusk. Symbolizing Greenland.
When you press the brooch, a secret door opens at the bottom of the stairs to the rear, where two boys (Frederik and Joachim) are sitting. And inside is a drawer with a pair of cuff links.
There is even a dachshund.

What QMII did not know at the time, was the PH had approached the very same goldsmith for a present to his wife.
A chocker (I think it's called) a kind of necklace made from pearls and rubies. Seen in the second scan above.

https://app.box.com/s/9jcth1w4rc3n8we7du221bla7zqexf1c
The necklace QMII is seen wearing here is a present from the Artisan Association. It contains all the seals and crests of the guilds and QMII wear this necklace every year, when the best newly graduated artisans are honored at Copenhagen Townhall.

https://app.box.com/s/g2uvogdktfxpzhh6ocyew9pt8i11e3gc
The brooch and earrings QMII is seen wearing here, are also a present from PH. Made again by the goldsmith, Torben Hardenberg.
The turquises were bought by PH in Egypt and the brooch depicts QMII and the Goddess of Hunt putting her arm around PH in the shape of a stag.
Their sons are depicted as two deer.

Below that are a set of cutlery in three shades of gold.
They are a present to the Regent Couple from Villum Kann Rasmussen, at their silver anniversary in 1992. It's made by silversmith Claus Bjerring.
It's made in 18 carats of gold, with an M and an H stamped on them.
QMII was asked prior to receiving the gift, whether she had any special requests. She responded that the knives must be able to cut. Meaning that they were to be used.

For QMII's eighteenth birthday she got a toilet-garniture set in silver.
Made by court-jeweller A Michelsen, they were the first in a series of "daisy-jewelry."

https://app.box.com/s/rogbl5pc40hcv5iuyckpx9cer4cnr0kg
This flower tiara, was an idea the goldsmith, Nicolai Appel, came up with.
It's made from gold mined in Greenland. (I understand the gold from that mine is very yellow.)
It's name is actually Naasut which means flowers in Greenlandic
It is made from hundreds of flowers picked from sixteen sorts, with the centerpiece being an arctic poppy, which QMII had seen to the far north in Greenland. It looks very delicate, but it's an unusual tough little flower, able to grow in the extreme climate there.
When all the many flowers had been made, QMII came to the goldsmith's workshop and arranged them in the pattern we see today on the tiara.
It was presented to QMII in 2012 as a present from the Greenlanders.

- All this can be admired at a current exhibition at Christiansborg.

- The scans to the rest of the magazine can be seen in the thread with Victoria and Daniel on official visit to DK, when I have completed the summary.

Reactions: eya
"Majesty The Queen has today, at the Council of State, accepted that Her Royal Highness the Crown Princess from today to reckon can be deployed as the head of state.

Thus, during the Council of State, the Crown Princess, in the presence of the Queen, His Royal Highness, signed the Crown Prince and the Government the necessary declaration to comply with the Constitution.

As King of the Kingdom, the Crown Princess will in future be able to fulfill the Queen's obligations as head of state, when the Queen is prevented from doing so, for example when staying abroad. Today, the Queen's obligations as head of state can be fulfilled by the Crown Prince as regent or by your Royal Highnesses Prince Joachim and Princess Benedikte as the king's rulers. ."

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3HJijegTk7/

Last edited:
"Majesty The Queen has today, at the Council of State, accepted that Her Royal Highness the Crown Princess from today to reckon can be deployed as the head of state.

Thus, during the Council of State, the Crown Princess, in the presence of the Queen, His Royal Highness, signed the Crown Prince and the Government the necessary declaration to comply with the Constitution.

As King of the Kingdom, the Crown Princess will in future be able to fulfill the Queen's obligations as head of state, when the Queen is prevented from doing so, for example when staying abroad. Today, the Queen's obligations as head of state can be fulfilled by the Crown Prince as regent or by your Royal Highnesses Prince Joachim and Princess Benedikte as the king's rulers. ."

H.K.H. Kronprinsessen bliver rigsforstander | Kongehuset

Correct me if my memory is wrong, but I remember that the late Prince Henrik thought it was offensive that whereas Queen Ingrid was allowed to stand in as regent during the monarch's travels abroad, he himself never was. Being that Crown Princess Mary is hereafter allowed to stand in as regent as well, it does look as if Prince Henrik's being denied that role was unique compared to the other recent consorts. (Was it allowed to consorts prior to Queen Ingrid?) Was he considered less able than Queen Ingrid and Crown Princess Mary?

Or perhaps this step is only being taken because Prince Joachim's move to France will reduce his availability?

I think Prince Joachim's move to France may also be one of the reasons for this decision.
This is a test of great trust from the Queen to Princess Mary.

Correct me if my memory is wrong, but I remember that the late Prince Henrik thought it was offensive that whereas Queen Ingrid was allowed to stand in as regent during the monarch's travels abroad, he himself never was.

Or perhaps this step is only being taken because Prince Joachim's move to France will reduce his availability?
Traditionally only those in the line of succession could be made rigsforestander so Queen Ingrid and now Crown Princess Mary are the exceptions to the rule. I also believe it has to do with Joachim moving abroad and also, just speculating, but IMO this further shows that he'll have a small role to play during the reign of his brother.

Last edited:
Traditionally only those in the line of succession could be made rigsforestander so Queen Ingrid and now Crown Princess Mary are the exceptions to the rule. I also believe it has to do with Joachim moving abroad and also, just speculating, but IMO this further shows that he'll have a small role to play during the reign of his brother.
That's exactly what I thought when I read that. Prince Christian is 14 years old, and Princess Isabella is 12, so there is still a few years before they can made rigforestnder if CP Frederik is unable to fill the role. Prince Joachim being in France means the DRF were left with CP Frederik and Princess Benedikte.

I think you are right. This is a practical decision, perhaps accelerated by J&M moving to France.

As regards Joachim's role in Frederik's reign, it will be a small and supporting role, quite like Benedikte today.

Was there an exceptional reason why Queen Ingrid was allowed to stand in as regent? If not, surely the "new rule" is that consorts of monarchs and heirs to the throne are allowed, with Prince Henrik being the exception.

As regards Joachim's role in Frederik's reign, it will be a small and supporting role, quite like Benedikte today.

Princess Benedikte seems to have a relatively active role compared to the siblings or aunts/uncles of monarchs in many other European monarchies.

Last edited:

Correct me if my memory is wrong, but I remember that the late Prince Henrik thought it was offensive that whereas Queen Ingrid was allowed to stand in as regent during the monarch's travels abroad, he himself never was. Being that Crown Princess Mary is hereafter allowed to stand in as regent as well, it does look as if Prince Henrik's being denied that role was unique compared to the other recent consorts. (Was it allowed to consorts prior to Queen Ingrid?) Was he considered less able than Queen Ingrid and Crown Princess Mary?

And Prince Henrik was the consort of the Monarch which Crown pricness Mary is not yet.

Was there an exceptional reason why Queen Ingrid was allowed to stand in as regent? If not, surely the "new rule" is that consorts of monarchs and heirs to the throne are allowed, with Prince Henrik being the exception.

I think Queen Ingrid only became able to stand in as Regent after the accession of Queen Margrethe-.And the reaso ws that nly Princess Benedikte would have been able to stand in at that time as the others in the line of succession where minors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Queen Ingrid only became able to stand in as Regent after the accession of Queen Margrethe-.And the reaso ws that nly Princess Benedikte would have been able to stand in at that time as the others in the line of succession where minors.
Yes, Queen Ingrid became eligible to stand in as rigsforestander in 1972 after the death of her husband and to my knowledge that goes for Princess Benedikte as well although I can't find anything else than newspaper articles to support my hunch.

That looks like a really bad translation. Anyway, what it probably means is that CP Mary is now eligible to become a "rigsforstander" like Prince Joachim and Princess Benedikte, even though she is not in the line of succession.

Yes, Queen Ingrid became eligible to stand in as rigsforestander in 1972 after the death of her husband and to my knowledge that goes for Princess Benedikte as well although I can't find anything else than newspaper articles to support my hunch.

Thanks. But why was Queen Ingrid preferred to Prince Henrik in 1972? Both of them were of age, and neither of them were in the line of succession. European monarchies traditionally prefer the spouse or widow(er) of the most recent monarch over the widow(er)s of the previous monarchs to act as regent.

Last edited:
Princess Benedikte seems to have a relatively active role compared to the siblings or aunts/uncles of monarchs in many other European monarchies.

It is not unusual for siblings of a monarch to be eligible to be regent ad interim.

Massive acknowledgement to Mary and her work. Very well-deserved.

The heir apparent is the only one who's automatically allowed. Everyone else, the "rigsforstandere", have to gain special approval. Are consorts (both former, such as Ingrid, and coming, such as Mary) allowed to be appointed "rigsforstandere"? Sure, Ingrid set the precedence for that in 1972. But that's not to say that future consorts will be given the honour. It's possible but not a given.

Thanks. But why was Queen Ingrid preferred to Prince Henrik in 1972? Both of them were of age, and neither of them were in the line of succession. European monarchies traditionally prefer the spouse or widow(er) of the most recent monarch over the widow(er)s of the previous monarchs to act as regent.
From what I've heard through the years its as simple as the Danes liking and respecting Queen Ingrid enough to forego the tradition. From what I can see there's nothing that legally would have prevented Prince Henrik from becoming a rigsforstander.
§5 of Law 25 from 1871 that regulates the question states that:
"Rigsforstanderen maa være en myndig og til Thronen arveberettiget Prinds eller en fuldmyndig Mand, som har dansk Indfødsret, og høre til den evangelisk-lutherske Kirke."

"Eligible for rigsforestander may be a prince in line of succession to the throne that's come of age or a man who's come of age, is a Danish citizen and belongs to the evangelical-lutheran church" (my translation)

QMII and Henrik had been married for less than 5 years in 1972. Ingrid had been Queen Consort for almost 25 years, so she had the experience and additionally she was also very well-respected by most everyone.

That looks like a really bad translation. Anyway, what it probably means is that CP Mary is now eligible to become a "rigsforstander" like Prince Joachim and Princess Benedikte, even though she is not in the line of succession.

What happened was that QMII formally recommended Mary for approval as Rigsforstander when needed.
In order to become Rigsforstander a number of requirements have to be met - Mary fulfills those requirements.
The government approved Mary as eligible as Rigsforstander.

That means she does not have to go through a formal vetting process - that has now been done.
So in the future QMII (or Frederik when he is acting as Regent) can by signing a document appoint Mary to acting Rigsforstander. I.e. Mary will be acting head of state with all the powers bestowed to the Monarch.

Considering that it happens now, will IMO mean that Mary will act as Rigsforstander sometime within the next few months.

I simply cannot emphasize enough how big a pad on the shoulder this is for Mary!
I cannot recall ever having heard or read about a similar precedence in Danish history.
That the queen-consort to a Danish king stepped in as a kind of rigsforstander, was quite common in medieval times. But never the wife of the crown prince.

Queen Ingrid acted as Rigsforstander back in the 70's. Partly because she was tremendously respected by the politicians, and they trusted her.
One of the things the Danes had problems with in regards to PH, was that he had problems understanding/accepting that he was to walk behind his wife, not the other way around.
I think the politicians used the fact that Queen Ingrid outranked PH as a convenient excuse for not "needing his assistance" as Rigsforstander.

I cannot help thinking that this may be an indication that J&M are signing out as active members of the DRF and will be settling in France.
After all, if it was only for a period of a year, where Mary's needed to step in. Benedikte could still step in.

Last edited:
It is not unusual for siblings of a monarch to be eligible to be regent ad interim.

I think muriel and I were both referring to Princess Benedikte's role as a working royal rather than as a regent, although as others have pointed out, politicians may consider an experienced working royal to be a more trustworthy choice for regent.

This is tremendous news, and what a big sign of support for Mary and the work she has done as Crown Princess.
Im glad they shared a picture. The Queen looking proudly towards Frederik and Mary.

Government tweet

As I wrote to a friend The Queen looks as proud as a chicken that´s laid a golden egg and Frederick looks proud enough to burst. This is obviously a very big moment for all of them.

Exactly. QMII's expression is priceless. ?

From what I've heard through the years its as simple as the Danes liking and respecting Queen Ingrid enough to forego the tradition. From what I can see there's nothing that legally would have prevented Prince Henrik from becoming a rigsforstander.
§5 of Law 25 from 1871 that regulates the question states that:
"Rigsforstanderen maa være en myndig og til Thronen arveberettiget Prinds eller en fuldmyndig Mand, som har dansk Indfødsret, og høre til den evangelisk-lutherske Kirke."

"Eligible for rigsforestander may be a prince in line of succession to the throne that's come of age or a man who's come of age, is a Danish citizen and belongs to the evangelical-lutheran church" (my translation)

Do you have a link to the full text of the aforementioned law ?

Does the CP now have precedence over Prince Joachim and Princess Benedikte to serve as regent ad interim ? Or is that decided by the Queen on a case by case basis ?

Last edited:
A great honour and clear sign of trust; it seems well-deserved; and another sign that there is no intention at all to use prince Nikolai (as he is the other adult in line to the throne!) for royal work.

It is hard not to link this to Joachim's move to France; so yes, it seems that Joachim's family is sidelined (probably at their own request?) and the Crown princely family will become even more 'center stage' than they already are.

Does the CP now have precedence over Prince Joachim and Princess Benedikte to serve as regent ad interim ? Or is that decided by the Queen on a case by case basis ?

Only Frederick can be the 'regent'. Joachim, Benedikte and now Mary can only be 'rigsforstander'. I believe a regent is preferred over a rigsforstander, so only if both Margrethe and Frederick are abroad, one of the potential rigsforstanders is called upon.

It is also explained that way in the press release:
As regent [i.e. rigsforstander], The Crown Princess will, from now on, be able to attend to The Queen’s duties as head of state when The Queen and The Crown Prince are prevented from doing so, for example during a stay abroad.

Last edited by a moderator:
A great honour and clear sign of trust; it seems well-deserved; and another sign that there is no intention at all to use prince Nikolai (as he is the other adult in line to the throne!) for royal work.

It is hard not to link this to Joachim's move to France; so yes, it seems that Joachim's family is sidelined (probably at their own request?) and the Crown princely family will become even more 'center stage' than they already are.

Yes, that was my first thought too (after that this is a great honor and recognition for Mary and her work): Joachim's stay in France will not be short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom