General News about the Danish Royal Family Part 2: January 2013 - November 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #12, 2015.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

The 80 year old Peter Heering died recently after a prolonged period of illness and he was buried from Garnisonskirken. The church is located next to the kindergarten, Josephine, Vincent, bette Henrik and Athena. In fact the kindergarten is a parish-kindergarten.

Anyway, Joachim was the frist from the DRF to arrive, followed later by QMII and Benedikte. There is no mention of the whereabouts of PH and our Marie.
M&F strolled from Amalienborg hand in hand. (*) The distance is short and M&F and gone that way countless times with their children.

The DRF comforted Peter Heerring's wife, Susanne Heering, who is a very close friend of QMII. Also Mary was seen comforting Susanne Heeing, as well and Caroline Heering who used to be her LiW.
A number of the Regent Couple's close friends were also there.

After the funeral a number strolled to the posh hotel D'Angleterre to have "gravøl" = literally "grave-beer". (**) There is no mentioning that the DRF went though.

(*) It may not be so common in the cities anymore, but certainly beforehand here in DK, if you were to attend a funeral at a church, you usually walked to the church when possible rather than drove. That is still the case many places in DK not least in rural areas.

(**) Gravøl = grave-beer, a very old custom here in DK. Actually it predates the time when coffee became common, so we are talking at least 300 years.
Basically friends and relatives (and "professional" burial-goers as well. More on them later) who were served beer while remembering the deceased and showing respect for the relatives. Back in the old days that could evolve into a shall we say somewhat rowdy affair!
Nowadays, it's coffee and cookies that are served and the mood is more subdued, but the purpose is still the same: to show respect for the relatives in a more informal way and to share stories and remember the one who was buried. Depending on the wishes and personality of the deceased it can actually be a very merry event! With merry music and jokes - and indeed beer as well.
Grave-beer is very common, because it is not appropriate just to say goodbye to those who showed respect at the funeral without offering them a cup of coffee.
Now, there is an expression here in DK: "at gå til globryllup" = going to a gawking-wedding = something like attending a wedding out of curiosity. That was, and to some degree still is, especially very common for not least elderly ladies and/or widows, who showed up at the church whenever there was a christening, a wedding or a funeral. Because they knew that they would be offered coffee and cookies afterwards and as everyone knew everyone else in the countryside that was a way to pass the time and they could compare funerals or weddings among themselves.
Nowadays the expression "globryllup" is still very common but used whenever there is a big royal wedding on TV. Then it's common to say: "no can do, I'm going to a globryllup next Saturday". So when Carl-Philling and Sofia Hellqvist will get married there will be a lot here in DK who will go to "globryllup" that day.

Last edited:
For 165 years, the Danish Royal Family have enjoyed exclusive hunting rights in 214 of Denmark’s best forests. Environmental agency Naturstyrelsen wants to see some of those forests opened up for rental to other hunters, thus bringing millions into the state treasury.

The royals' five to six hunts per year use less than a third of the area they hold exclusive rights to – an area larger than the island of Bornholm – according to research conducted by state broadcaster DR.

“It is unfair that the Royal Family hold exclusive rights to hunt in state forests,” MP Lisbeth Bech Poulsen told DR Nyheder. “It is high time those rights were taken away.”
More: Royal Family could lose ancient hunting privileges - News - The Copenhagen Post

Dronning Margrethe til højmesse i Aarhus Domkirke | Billed Bladet

The Regent Couple are living at Marselisborg in Aarhus, during Easter. and as always QMII attends service several times at Aarhus Cathedral.
PH and their old friend the reverend Peter Parkov was also there.
If the rest of the family haven't joined them as this is written it will only be a matter of hours now.

Im not sure where to put this...

"Military appointments to D.K.H. Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim

D.K.H. Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim was yesterday Wednesday, April 8, 2015 announced at a ceremony at Marselisborg Castle.

H. M. The Queen has appointed Crown Prince to Rear Admiral in the Navy and Major General in the Army and Air Force. The Queen has also appointed Prince Joachim to reserve colonel in the army.
By appointment at Marselisborg Castle handed Defence General Peter Bartram new distinctions to the Crown Prince and Prince Joachim."
Militære udnævnelser til D.K.H. Kronprinsen og Prins Joachim - Kongehuset

more on their military careers
To særlige udnævnelser i Forsvaret

Thanks, Polyesco :flowers:

Oho, so Frederik skipped brigadier (one star general) and went straight to two stars. Major general = generalmajor in DK. I.e. commander of a division (*).
The equivalent to that in the navy is of course rear admiral = kontreadmiral in DK.

- About time! Two stars more and Frederik will be full general. And eh, Polyesco. That means a brand new gala uniform for Frederik to wear at the New Year Courts... ;):p

Joachim has finally become full colonel, albeit of the reserves. And that is probably as far as he will rise in the ranks.

(*) Lets have a look at the general-ranks and what they meant operationally beforehand at least.
one-star general = brigadier = brigadegeneral = commander of a brigade. (about 3.000-5.000 men).
Two-star general = major general = generalmajor = commander of a division. (about 10-15.000 men).
Three-star general = lieutenant general = generalløjtnant = commander of an army-corps (About 30-50.000 men).
Four-star general = general = general = commander of an army. (Two to four army-corps).
Five-star general = ? = generaloberst = commander of an army-group. (Two-five armies).

In the navy it's
Commodore/junior admiral = flotillieadmiral = equivalent to brigadier.
Rear admiral = kontreadmiral = equivalent to major general.
Vice admiral = viceadmiral = equivalent to lieutenant general.
Admiral = admiral = equivalent to general.
Grand admiral = storadmiral = equivalent to generaloberst. (Not used in DK though, but is was used in Germany).

ADDED: The text from the court is actually incomplete. Joachim was previously lieutenant colonel. You don't go from a low rank like captain directly to full colonel. That only happens in the Donald Duck magazine!

Last edited:
Thanks, Polyesco :flowers:

Oho, so Frederik skipped brigadier (one star general) and went straight to two stars. Major general = generalmajor in DK. I.e. commander of a division (*).
The equivalent to that in the navy is of course rear admiral = kontreadmiral in DK.

- About time! Two stars more and Frederik will be full general. And eh, Polyesco. That means a brand new gala uniform for Frederik to wear at the New Year Courts... ;):p

so no new uniform just yet? ;)
"Rear Admiral in the Navy and Major General in the Army and Air Force."

how about in the Army and Airforce?

Joachim's uniform would remain the same?

so no new uniform just yet? ;)
"Rear Admiral in the Navy and Major General in the Army and Air Force."

how about in the Army and Airforce?

Joachim's uniform would remain the same?

Well, it needs to be tailored first, so it will be at least a few weeks before he can wear his new uniform.

Sorry, don't understand what you mean by army and air force? He will also be major general in the air force, if that's what you are getting at?

Joachim's gala uniform will remain the same, only his rank will change.

But take a look at PH's uniforms at the New Year Courts, because that's what Frederik will be wearing from now on. And perhaps he, being younger and slimmer, will look better in the air force uniform?

Well, it needs to be tailored first, so it will be at least a few weeks before he can wear his new uniform.

Sorry, don't understand what you mean by army and air force? He will also be major general in the air force, if that's what you are getting at?

Joachim's gala uniform will remain the same, only his rank will change.

But take a look at PH's uniforms at the New Year Courts, because that's what Frederik will be wearing from now on. And perhaps he, being younger and slimmer, will look better in the air force uniform?

thank you! muhler.
My interest in uniforms goes beyond just Frederik so I appreciate your answers. :)

Looking forward to the next uniform event for Frederik, perhaps at the Queen's gala?

:previous: You are welcome. :)

Well, if it won't happen sooner, we can certainly expect to see Frederik in his new full dress uniform on the Annual Flagday.

BB informs that last weekend CP Mary, prince Joachim, princess Marie were to a 2x50 years birthday party on Tranekjær Castle. Our Frederik had to cancel because he had become sick.

A pity he couldn't join and enjoy the sight of his wife because Mary looked very lovely.

BB has published a little video of the guests arriving:

Kronprinsesse Mary festede på Langeland | billedbladet.dk

Last edited:
:previous:

Joachim clearly gets his fashion sense from his father! :D

I liked Maries dress, nice and cool for a summer evening.

Tranekær Castle is arguably located in the most scenic parts of Denmark, as you can tell from these two photos:
http://tranekaergods.dk/CustomerData/Files/Images/Gallery/test_62/45-001-7593-6_188.jpg
http://tranekaergods.dk/CustomerData/Files/Images/Gallery/luftfoto_374/45-001-7593-18_1445.jpg

And here is an updated map of where the castle is located: https://app.box.com/s/5pc2zsdggt19264bqvfd
(Large file!)

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #33, 2015.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

This weekend the lords of Tranekær Castle located on the idyllic island of Langeland, celebrated their 50th birthdays.
Christian and Mette Ahlefeldt Laurvig are nobility and close to the DRF. (They also have a multitude of children!) So M&F and J&M were among those invited.
Alas Frederik had to excuse himself, he's gone down with pneumonia. But Mary as well and Joachim and Marie arrived pretty early. Here they were shown to their rooms.
In the afternoon before the party Mary drove for a sightseeing tour of the island. Presumably with someone, but the article doesn't say.
Shortly before 18.00 the 197 guests had either arrived or dressed for the party in their rooms and started to stroll towards the nearby restaurant that is owned by the Ahlefeldts as well, where the hosts received them with champagne.
Mary walked with Anna von Lowzow and her husband Klavs, whom she insisted on being photographed with.
Joachim and our Marie followed close behind in the company of Christian and Amalie Lerche, also nobility.

Mary wore in her ears a present from Frederik made from diamonds and five Aquamarines.
Marie wore a clutch by Bottega Veneta and shoes by Jimmy Choo.

Mary, Joachim and Marie stayed at the castle overnight and had brunch with the hosts in the morning before returning home.

The guest list is also very much a list of the noble friends of the younger members of the DRF.
The Ahelefeldt-Laurvigs had shown up in force naturally.
But also the new Matsre of Ceremonies, Kim Kristensen, with wife was there.
The singer Lis Sørensen, with husband.
Jørgen and Malou Skeel, who own Birkelse Estate where M&F often come visiting.
Christiane Wedell. - Nobility.
Louise Iuel-Brockdorff. - Also old nobility.
Christoffer Knuth and his Stephanie, from Knuthenborg Manor.
Merete Wedell-Wedellsborg, with husband. - Nobility.
Sofie Glahn and her Christian Levin.
(Somewhat surprising to me) The very respected Middle East correspondent, Steffen Jensen and wife.
Kim Magnussen and his Rebecca.
Bengt and Mette Sundstrøm, manager of the high quality auction house, Lauritz.com
Henriette Honore and her Henrik Feldborg-Zethner.
Bendt Tido Wedell with his Pernille. - Nobility.
Christian Scherfig and his Agnete Arnø.
Marina of Rosenborg.
Erik and Susanne Wind, with children. For LiW to Alexandra.
Nina Wedell-Wedellsborg and her Peter Aandahl.

You can see for yourselves here: https://app.box.com/s/cjsr72hq7s3sd6epji1cpm0ue0bvr1a2

Now, I should like a little help. There is an interesting article about royal friends in this weeks issue. Is there are a thread somewhere about royal friends?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alas Frederik had to excuse himself, he's gone down with pneumonia.
Thanks Muhler :flowers:

If Frederik is down with pneumonia, he might have to cancel his events this week. Most of the people I know who've had it were sick for a week or even two.

Oh dear, I can see the headlines now: ''Princess Mary parties, leaves sick husband at home.'' They no doubt worked it out between themselves, and kept in close touch.

Pneumonia can sneak up on you, and even when the lungs clear, you can tire easily for some time. Get well soon, Frederik :flowers:

:previous:

Joachim clearly gets his fashion sense from his father! :D

LOL Joachim!, he wins most interesting dressed.
Between these Asian inspired coats (he also has one in black), his red velvet "playboy" coat and his army camouflage coat ...i cant pick my favorite :p:ROFLMAO:

If Frederik is down with pneumonia, he might have to cancel his events this week. Most of the people I know who've had it were sick for a week or even two.

Speedy Recovery to Frederik.
When was the party last weekend? He might have gotten sick awhile now...
hopefully he is feeling better now, he is currently regent and his next public event is this Sunday, August 16 at the DM finals in wheelchair tennis .

another event was recently added to his calendar for the 18,
Crown Prince receives US defense chief in private audience...so hopefully he is feeling better :flowers:

Thanks for the summary, Muhler :flowers:

Mary and Marie looked great, as for Joachim... well, that's certainly also a way to dress :whistling: :p

It was a nice touch that Mary went with Anna von Lowzow and Joachim and Marie with Christian Lerche-Lerchenborg – Anna and Christian are Mette Ahlefeldt-Laurvig's older siblings. I also have a personal penchant for Anna von Lowzow, she's one of my favourite documentarists and royal commentators.

Isn't it a little concerning that Frederik has pneumonia? As far as I am aware it is Summer in Denmark, the prince is healthy and fit as a buck rat and, as such, fits into none of the obvious risk categories associated with pneumonia except flu, which we probably wouldn't know about.

Over the last few years we have seen an increase in cases of pneumonia in people such as Fred, middle-aged, fit and healthy, often with fatal or near-fatal but life-changing results. It seems the family doesn't see any problem and mostly it's just like flu and gone in a week. Here's hoping for a speedy and total recovery.

Isn't it a little concerning that Frederik has pneumonia? As far as I am aware it is Summer in Denmark, the prince is healthy and fit as a buck rat and, as such, fits into none of the obvious risk categories associated with pneumonia except flu, which we probably wouldn't know about.

Over the last few years we have seen an increase in cases of pneumonia in people such as Fred, middle-aged, fit and healthy, often with fatal or near-fatal but life-changing results. It seems the family doesn't see any problem and mostly it's just like flu and gone in a week. Here's hoping for a speedy and total recovery.

I actually googled this. It's one of the top myths of pneumonia that it only happens during the cold season, to the old and unhealthy
Debunked: 5 Myths About Pneumonia | Dr. Orin Levine :flowers:

Maybe his traveling recently was the cause, in airplanes you are basically sitting ducks;)

hopefully its a speedy recovery

Oh, I hope Frederik gets well soon. I was hospitalised for two months when I was little due to pneumonia, so I know how harmful it can be. I hope Frederik's pneumonia is just mild.

Wouldn't he be in hospital if it was pneumonia.???

He might. But let us hope Frederik is already back on his feet again and fresh as we know him.

There are many types of pneumonia. Many have a so-called 'mild pneumonia'. I had one last year. And that's most probably what a healthy man like Frederik has got as well. It reminds of a bad case of ordinary flu - which lasts just a little longer. Usually about a week, or perhaps two.

And these long flights home with air conditioning can make any sick. They are some bastards those air-conditionings :lol: Wasn't it also Mary who a few years ago had to cancel to a birthday party after her and Frederik's long flight home from Chile due to a little too much air-conditioning on the way home.

Anyway, I wish for a speedy recovery for Frederik. His official events this weekend are not changed in the royal calendar.

Thanks for the information and link polyesco, I was a little concerned because my 45-year-old friend ended up in hospital having none of the supposed "risk factors" and being fit as a buck rat.

Her general health worked against her, meaning that she wasn't initially diagnosed as having pneumonia and by the time she was it was a 10 days in hospital and months before she had her zap back.

Not a fun time for anyone, but it seems that pneumonia is staging quite the comeback and becoming almost common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom