General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 5: September 2019 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wishing Prince Joachim a full recovery and warm thoughts to his family. Scary news.

This sounds rather serious; it could very well be a life-altering event. Is there any evidence of heart and vascular diseases being prevalent within the family?

According to a Dutch website by the Heart Foundation; surgery is typically applied if the blood-cloth is in the carotid artery (of course, France may use different guidelines); and thrombolysis (applying medicine) is only useful within 4,5 hours of the onset of symptoms.

Very recently pictures of Felix' 18th birthday were released and seemed to have been taken at Cayx, so I assume they were still spending their holiday there.

Awful news indeed ! Prince Joachim seems to be quite young for major cardiovascular disease or, in this case, a stroke even considering that he is a smoker. That might suggest a family history, but none of his parents or grandparents had early cardiovascular events as far as I know.

EDIT: Having now read other posts, it appears that it might not have been a stroke after all. In any case, I also wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Last edited:
Its a mistake some people make. Clots are one cause of strokes (ischemic strokes). But not all clots will lead to a stroke. 80% of strokes are caused by blood clots (the rest are caused by a burst artery).

Brain clots do present with symptoms similar to a stroke like weakness and loss of vision.

The fact he required surgery, and they didn't simply handle it with medication speaks to size and/or severity. Thankfully brain surgery has become less invasive over the years but it is still not an easy thing.

There has been a growing concern of COVID 19 causing blood clots in patients. I normally wouldn't jump to such a thought but he is relatively young and healthy despite smoking, and no family history.

We will just have to wait and see what happens.

There has been a growing concern of COVID 19 causing blood clots in patients.
It is causing blood clots but mostly in the lungs because of a reduced lung capacity. All the people I care for (I work in a Covid-19 unit that cares for elderly diagnosed with the virus in their homes) receive anticoagulants for at least two weeks after they've been diagnosed as a precautionary measure. Naturally a blood clot can travel around.

It is causing blood clots but mostly in the lungs because of a reduced lung capacity. All the people I care for (I work in a Covid-19 unit that cares for elderly diagnosed with the virus in their homes) receive anticoagulants for at least two weeks after they've been diagnosed as a precautionary measure. Naturally a blood clot can travel around.

Fortunately working in pediatrics I haven't had to deal with cases first hand.

Unfortunately the danger of clots is since they are in the circulatory system, they can travel to other parts of the body. And have been found in the lungs, but also the brain and even kidneys of covid patients. Right now the majority of blood clots detected have been in the legs, in patients who have been hospitalized with covid.

? For a moment I thought they kept it secret for a week but that didn't make much sense - especially not when I reread the press release... and verified that the posts about Felix' birthday and the queen at Grasten truly were taken this week.

We'll see whether Mary or Benedikte takes over as Rigsforstander and for how long - I assume until Frederik is appointed regent upon his return (assuming he will join his mother to France; alternatively, they could have decided that Frederik stays in Denmark for the time being and Benedikte joins her sister).

I think Mary will be appointed Rigsforstander. Although the circumstances are unfortunate, it will be a good opportunity for her to be tested and gain experience in this role.

New details emerging.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/i...him-maatte-flyves-til-hospital-med-helikopter

Joachim was with his family when the symptoms started, so help was called immediately.
He was first taken to the hospital in Cahor, twenty minutes from Cayx.
From there he was flown to Toulouse where he underwent surgery.

Joachim was conscious and understands what happened.

Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen is in contact with the hospital in Toulouse, also in regards to have him transported to DK.
But you cannot fly after such a procedure, so it will be a while before Joachim can be taken to DK.

This is likely to be life-altering.
Apart from the risk of temporary or permanent paralysis, there is also a risk of cognitive deficiencies or speech impediments.
And many if not most will afterwards suffer from mental exhaustion and an inability to focus on larger projects.

The Facebook page of the DRF has been flooded with well wishes.

Good to hear help was called immediately, in situations like these every second/minute can make a difference to the outcome

Let's hope his recovery will be steady and he'll be able to return home in the near future..

Yes, he would have been treated and undergoing procedure in Toulouse pretty fast.

0 - Symptoms start.

+ 10 - The family works out that something is seriously wrong and call an ambulance.

+ 25 - The ambulance arrive.

+ 35 - After assessing Joachim and strapping him in, the ambulance leaves for the nearest hospital.

+ 50 - Arrival to the hospital at Cahors.

+ 90 - Doctors assess Joachim and decide this is beyond their capabilities and call in a helicopter and alert Toulouse.

+ 105 - Helicopter arrives.

+ 110 - Helicopter takes off.

+ 135 - Helicopter arrives at Toulouse.

+ 205 - Joachim has been scanned and examined and is now being prepared for surgical procedure. (Via the vein in his thigh.)

- I can't see it possibly happening any faster than this.

thank you for all the updates. very shocking. i wish the family strength and joachim to recover as well as possible.

Shocking news indeed. Hopefully a good recovery for Joachim and much strength to his family

Couldn't believe the news when I woke up this morning. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Prince Joachim and much strength to the Danish Royal Family.

The PC-chief Lene Balleby has issued a written statement Sunday noon.

Prins Joachims situation er fortsat stabil. Prinsen kom heldigvis i professionel behandling i tide og har det efter omstændighederne godt.

- Hvor længe prinsen skal være indlagt, er det for tidligt at sige noget om på nuværende tidspunkt,

"Prince Joachim's situation is still stable. Fortunately the Prince received professional treatment in time and he is, the circumstances considered, well.
At present it is too soon to say anything about how long the Prince must remain committed to hospital."

Oy....wishing the Prince a speedy recovery

I was indeed thinking about both families.

I suddenly wondered what the cause of death of his grandfather was as he died in his early 70's and looked it up: cardiac arrest: so, also within the group of heart and vascular diseases...

There is a big difference, however, between having a family member with a cardiovascular event in his early 70's and another with an event in his 40s such as my own father, who was only 46 when he had a heart attack. The former has no significant impact on risk assessment for the children of the affected person, whereas the latter is a big red flag for people like myself.

The good thing is that cardiovascular risk is now a highly manageable condition. There is very effective medication which, combined with lifestyle choices, can guarantee life expectancy in line with or even beyond that of the average population. It is just a matter of everybody knowing their own risk for sure.

Last edited:
very scary news, but it sounds like they reacted on time and rushed him to hospital for treatment. let's hope to hear some more good news soon.

There is a big difference, however, between having a family member with a cardiovascular event in his early 70's and another with an event in his 40s such as my own father, who was only 46 when he had a heart attack. The former has no significant impact on risk assessment for the children of the affected person, whereas the latter is a big red flag for people like myself.

The good thing is that cardiovascular risk is now a highly manageable condition. There is very effective medication which, combined with lifestyle choices, can guarantee life expectancy in line with or even beyond that of the average population. It is just a matter of everybody knowing their own risk for sure.
Because cardiovascular diseases run in my family as well; I did make that connection as I've seen events at different ages among my own family members (while my grandmother's generation showed these events mostly in their 60's; for my father it happened around his 50th birthday (I am glad to say he recognized the signs in time and open heart surgery saved his life and he is still with us).

So, in Joachim's case there might be a connection to/slightly higher risk given his grandfather's heart attack.

What sad news to wake up to. Praying for recovery for the Prince and comfort for his family.

Wishing for a speedy recovery for the Prince!

The head of the ED at the local hospital in Cahors that Joachim was initially admitted to more or less described the timeline to TV2:

The hospital was notified at around 9pm.

When Joachim arrived at the emergency room, he was received by an emergency doctor, a radiologist and a neurologist.

After having been scanned and assessed, it was decided that he was to be moved to Toulouse as the hospital in Cahors is not equipped to perform the procedure he would need.

He was then driven to Toulouse by ambulance – apparently not airlifted there as previously reported (TV2 make a point out of making that correction at the end of the article). Here he was operated on shortly after his arrival.

Last edited:
It is reported QMII is still at Gråsten.

That is scary news on Prince Joachim. I wish him a quick recovery and that the DRF remains strong in these times.

I only just read this news and I am shocked. It was a few days ago that i was looking at photos of Joachim, Marie, all four of the children and even Alexandra together for the summer holidays. Now this?!

Don't take anything for granted, ever. Life is so precious and so fragile...:sad:

Very unexpected news! It sounds like he was treated quickly, at least. I hope that his recovery is smooth and he’ll be able to resume all his usual activities in good time.

It has emerged that the French publication La depeche interviewed Joachim and Marie at Chateau Cayx only two hours prior to Joachim going down.

https://www.ladepeche.fr/2020/07/26...ise-a-cayx-et-son-hospitalisation-8995285.php

My French is a little rusty so I'll translate a few excerpts from the article published in BT:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/kort-foer-blodprop-journalister-var-paa-besoeg-hos-joachim-og-marie

It was a couple in high spirit who was interviewed for 45 minutes.
"This is the most beautiful balcony in France. To be able to enjoy it is one of my greatest privileges. It's hard to be without.
My very first trip abroad was to Lot (this part of France). I was here for three months. My father was born here. I come here almost every year, especially in the summer.
It's a place that has a special place in my heart, because I have experienced wonderful moments with my family."

Marie:
"I was first here twelve years ago. I sat on this balcony that my husband is talking about and I fell in love with this extraordinary place. I fell in love at first sight.
We all love it. Both local gastronomy, the good wine and first and foremost the authenticity. We don't come to see Lot, we come to experience it."

There being no mentioning of Alexandra and the oldest sons, I assume they weren't there.

J&M planned to leave the chateau this week. (Sunday?)

---------------

The PM, Mette Frederiksen, has conveyed her well wishes to Joachim and the DRF.

-----------------

I wonder, should Joachim become unable to work or simply need a long break to recover his strength (that is one of the side-effects), that they might stay at Cayx. It's a quiet, tranquil place where Joachim and his wife will feel perfectly at home. And it's far from curious eyes.

It is good to know that Prince Joachim is doing as well as possible under these circumstances.

What is the reason that it is being taken for granted that he will be repatriated to Denmark as soon as feasible? Seeing as, as others pointed out, first-class medical treatment is accessible to him in France also, and he has established a home in that country.

It is good to know that Prince Joachim is doing as well as possible under these circumstances.

What is the reason that it is being taken for granted that he will be repatriated to Denmark as soon as feasible? Seeing as, as others pointed out, first-class medical treatment is accessible to him in France also, and he has established a home in that country.

Of course he could be treated in France and that might even be the best option, in regards to the children certainly.
I believe it would be considered odd if a member of the DRF was a burden to a hospital system in foreign country - not least in the middle of an epidemic.

It would perhaps also be seen as odd that he wasn't treated in DK, because the treatment here, especially in regards to rehabilitation is also very good. The neuro-center at Hammel, (not far from where we live BTW) is world class and specialize in rehabilitating patients with severe brain damage.

Of course he could be treated in France and that might even be the best option, in regards to the children certainly.
I believe it would be considered odd if a member of the DRF was a burden to a hospital system in foreign country - not least in the middle of an epidemic.

It would perhaps also be seen as odd that he wasn't treated in DK, because the treatment here, especially in regards to rehabilitation is also very good. The neuro-center at Hammel, (not far from where we live BTW) is world class and specialize in rehabilitating patients with severe brain damage.

Why would he be considered a burden to the French health system? Isn’t one of the points of being a EU citizen to have equal access to the healthcare system of all member countries? Although we are in the middle of a Covid pandemic, people still have other conditions too and should not be considered a burden for taking hospital beds because of their conditions.

Right now, the most important consideration should be the best interest of the patient. It is probably unadvisable if not outright impossible to remove him from France to Denmark given how recent his event and his operation were. I don’t think the medical team would agree to do that.

Furthermore,, given in this case the Covid pandemic, it may be recommended that the Queen stay in Denmark and do not go to France to visit Joachim, which might be a risk for her.

Last edited:
This is stunning news because he is so young. I hope he does not smoke and that Second-Hand Smoke is very bad for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom