General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 5: September 2019 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
poor Henrik, hope he makes a speedy recovery.

I guess Joachim's course has been cancelled? I do hope they stay in Denmark and don't try to fly back to Paris anytime soon, It would give a wrong message.

It has been cancelled and the school where Athena and Henrik is going has been closed.
I think they will stay for at least some time in DK. At least past QMII's birthday.

I hope little Henrik gets well soon and that he keeps safe and warm inside. Good to hear that they have returned to Denmark; it's for the best, especially now that Henrik is in a fragile condition.

According to the court, the family is now in (self-imposed presumably) quarantine for two weeks at their apartment at Amalienborg.

Poor little fella. Hope he gets well soon.

That's a wise choice from Joachim and Marie. It's still beyond me that a 14-day quarantine isn't a requirement for everyone returning from abroad.

Interesting tidbit from this article on their quarantine: "The court does not wish to disclose how Prince Joachim and his family returned to Denmark – whether they took a commercial flight or were brought home by one of the defence's aircrafts." The DRF's press department is ridiculous. A comment like that does nothing but confirm that they definitely didn't fly commercially :rolleyes:

That's a wise choice from Joachim and Marie. It's still beyond me that a 14-day quarantine isn't a requirement for everyone returning from abroad.

Interesting tidbit from this article on their quarantine: "The court does not wish to disclose how Prince Joachim and his family returned to Denmark – whether they took a commercial flight or were brought home by one of the defence's aircrafts." The DRF's press department is ridiculous. A comment like that does nothing but confirm that they definitely didn't fly commercially :rolleyes:

If that's a full quote of what the court had to say... it indeed leaves little to the imagination. Otherwise, we could at least have speculated on whether they drove back to Denmark. It's 13-14 hours, so doable in a day - although probably not the right thing to do if Henrik needs to go to a hospital.

:previous: It's not a direct quote from the court but from Ekstra Bladet's article. From the article, it seems EB inquired about J&M's method of transportation home (and whether they were "helped home" so to speak) when they also asked the court about the quarantine. I imagine they were told "no comments". I have journalist acquaintances who joke that that's the court's standard answer to everything :cool:

They could have been flown back in an air force Challenger or they could have hitched a ride with a private plane owned by Danfoss (my personal guess) or Mærsk or Grundfos or Lego - all these companies being closely linked to the DRF - not least Joachim.
And the various members of the DRF have from time to time gotten a ride in such a company jet.

Can't blame them. If I had a sick child who could be infected with Corona on top of that, I would have no qualms, nor would I hesitate in accepting an offer for a fast ride back, be that in a military plane or company plane.
I would also pull strings if I could, to get a plane.
I wouldn't risk my child if I could possibly avoid it. In fact I would be willing to push old ladies out in front of trucks if they were in the way of my sick child getting to a doctor.

Last edited:
:previous: Surely if it was pushing-old-ladies-out-in-front-of-trucks levels of urgent, they would've taken him to an emergency room in Paris instead of shipping him to Denmark first ;) But I don't blame them either. It's a choice they have, why not make use of it? I just think the DRF's communications department's general approach to questions like that is laughable.

Really if any parent had the option to take a private airplane and get home sooner and more comfortable for their sick child they would take it. Plain and simple. You always do your best for your children.

Flying is hard enough when you are healthy. But it is horrible when you are sick. Being on a longer flight with a respiratory issue would not be easy. At least on a private flight Henrik could be more comfortable.

A good decision to bring the kids home, and have Henrik with doctors who know him and have taken care of him. Glad he doesn't have the virus, and hopefully he recovers soon from this issue.

:previous: Surely if it was pushing-old-ladies-out-in-front-of-trucks levels of urgent, they would've taken him to an emergency room in Paris instead of shipping him to Denmark first ;) But I don't blame them either. It's a choice they have, why not make use of it? I just think the DRF's communications department's general approach to questions like that is laughable.

Contessmeout is right.

We have a ten year old with chronic asthma who is having a severe attack due to a cold. And who can have been infected with Corona.
That puts him on the critical list according to Ministry of Health.

Okay, J&M can choose to go to the local ER, where there are lots of Corona cases coming in.
Where they need to have his medical records send from Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen, to Paris. Translated and read by a no doubt already stressed French doctor who has plenty of other cases to attend to.
Or they can arrange a flight home to Rigshospitalet, where the doctors know the boy, and he and his parents know the staff and procedures.

I doubt J&M, in the circumstances, would have been the least bit concerned about what the public might think. That's the job of the DRF press office. And I guess they decided that silence is the best and easiest alternative.

Last edited:
:previous: I think it's very naïve to think that if a child – especially, as you say, a child with a preexisting condition that would make him even more vulnerable to the virus – is in a critical condition, you wouldn't seek out an emergency room in your close proximity. Frankly, it would be irresponsible not to. That's beyond my point anyway because as I've said before, I completely understand why J&M would make use of the options they have, and it's only good that it wasn't critical with Henrik.

My issue is with the communications department and their continued chaotic way of handling the press alone. It's the rule more than the exception these days and it just never fails to flabbergast me. I don't know how you read criticism of J&M into any of my posts. I actually very much doubt they were even consulted on how the questions would be answered.

I wrote "it puts him on the critical list according to the Ministry of Health."

See here, in English:
Who is at special risk of infection and severe illness?

You can be at special risk of infection and developing severe illness with COVID-19 if you belong to one of the following groups:

Older people over 65 years of age
People with the following chronic diseases:
- Cardiovascular disease (not including well-treated high blood pressure)
- Lung disease (not included well-treated asthma)
- Chronic kidney disease with reduced kidney function
- Chronic liver disease
- Diabetes type 1 and 2, particularly if you have other effects from the disease
- A muscular and neuromuscular disease where there is weakened cough or difficulty clearing mucous from the airways
- Severe obesity with a BMI over 35-40, depending on other risk factors
- Special blood diseases, where there could be an increased risk of complications
People with reduced immune capacity as a result of:
- Blood diseases
- Organ transplantation
- Immunosuppressive treatment, including chemotherapy and radiation as a part of cancer treatment
- HIV infection with severe impairment of the immune system
Children with chronic disease (as listed above) or with effects from premature birth
Pregnant women and women up to 2 weeks after giving birth (based on a principle of caution)

And the direct link, just for reference: https://politi.dk/en/coronavirus-in-denmark/frequently-asked-questions

I did not write he was in a critical condition.
But having a severe asthma-attack and being infected with Corona is potentially life-threatening. (Fortunately it was only a cold. Bad enough though for someone with asthma!)

You are sure making a point in not making a point, so I copy-paste my previous reply:
J&M can choose to go to the local ER, where there are lots of Corona cases coming in.
Where they need to have his medical records send from Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen, to Paris. Translated and read by a no doubt already stressed French doctor who has plenty of other cases to attend to.
Or they can arrange a flight home to Rigshospitalet, where the doctors know the boy, and he and his parents know the staff and procedures.

As for the communications department handling things:
Personally, I don't care.

I will however refer to the public reaction to the Prince of Wales.
So not elaborating might be a sound strategy.

Last edited:
According to Billed Bladet (They have edited their site, so if you have bookmarked the royal section, you may wish to edit that bookmark.)
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...prins-felix-kan-ikke-vaere-sammen-med-joachim

J&M and their two children are still in the two week quarantine at Amalienborg.

Felix, who attends high school receive online schooling from 08.10 every day.
Nikolai too, who attends, Copenhagen Business School, is taught online.

Athena and Henrik are taught online from their school in Paris.

Joachim attends his class at the military academy online as well.

- There were mixed reports as to whether the military academy and Athena and Henrik's school was closed, but according to BB they are not.

Also, since BB is modernizing their site, perhaps you foreigners could mail them and encourage them to set up a section at least devoted to the DRF in English... Nudge, nudge...

Last edited:
I wrote "it puts him on the critical list according to the Ministry of Health."

See here, in English (...) I did not write he was in a critical condition.
But having a severe asthma-attack and being infected with Corona is potentially life-threatening. (Fortunately it was only a cold. Bad enough though for someone with asthma!)

You are sure making a point in not making a point, so I copy-paste my previous reply:
J&M can choose to go to the local ER, where there are lots of Corona cases coming in.

As for the communications department handling things:
Personally, I don't care.

I will however refer to the public reaction to the Prince of Wales.
So not elaborating might be a sound strategy.

Right, and I wasn't referring to your comment about the list (which is a list of risk groups – a condition being critical implies that the person in question is unconscious) but your comment earlier that very nearly insinuated that Henrik's was a matter of life or death. My point is, again: If it had been pushing-old-ladies-in-front-of-trucks levels of urgent, they would definitely have sought out the nearest hospital. Anything else would've been irresponsible. Requesting medical records can be tedious indeed but with a parent who's a French native and another who's fluent in French, I doubt it would be too big a problem to get across that the kid's got asthma.

That's not to downplay Henrik's condition – as you say, a cold is bad enough for someone with asthma – just to nuance the discussion (which generally speaking tends to be pushed to the extremes when it comes to royals and their decision-making) a bit.

But by refusing to elaborate, the court pretty much establishes that it wasn't a commercial flight and thus leaves room for a much more loaded speculation that they were brought home by the state (when they most likely were just helped home by friends), so isn't it better to just be open about it? This particular statement (or lack thereof) isn't bad in isolation, I just think it's so symptomatic of the court's own goal-like media strategy.

Yeah, sure...

Now try argue that with the concerned parents of a sick child.

Just don't stand in their way while doing so, or you risk being pushed out in front of a truck. ;)

https://www.seoghoer.dk/kendte/caroline-fleming-koeber-nyt-hus-flytter-fra-joachim

Caroline Fleming who has rented J&M's house while they are in France, has found a new, permanent, home in another part of Copenhagen.
She expects to move in in two-three months.

It is confirmed by Caroline Fleming herself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: eya
I don't get this rather recent trend for people to demand private information about royal families such as did they charter a plane, who, precisely, paid for it and the detailed medical condition of a child. Lastly, in this particular case, was PJ recalled by the government.

None of this is anyone's darned business but theirs and their family. Even more so if the government was involved. What is it about 'mind your own damned business' that people don't get? This is real like not a TV drama or Internet game where you can pick over of they made the right or wrong decision, slag them off for conspicuous consumption in chartering a plane and not being "green" enough to pass muster with these unknown trolls who have overthrown International laws and declared themselves Judge, jury and executioner. Why can't people just accept "no" and get a life.

I believe they drop poison pills on the forum threads as secret anti-Monarchists and, it's one spend son gone and Joachim is next.

:previous: Joachim wasn't recalled by the government? They came home because little Henrik was ill.

On the subject of their means of transportation, I don't think it's unreasonable that EB asked. We're in the middle of a global crisis where thousands of Danes are stuck abroad. It would ring hollow if J&M were brought home on an airforce plane (after declining to come home when people were implored to make their way back) when average Danes abroad in countries with well-functioning health sectors (such as France) are the lowest priority in terms receiving help to come back.

I simply cannot see how transparency is a bad thing. The very problem with the argument against transparency (and "privacy") regarding royal families is that it is people's business how money is spend around the royal family. The people in question are their benefactors. That's also why it's an unfortunate look when undisclosed properties like Mary and Frederik's Swiss chalet show up all of a sudden.

Lastly, I don't believe anyone's demanded to see little Henrik's full medical record? The court established the reason for the family's return in the press release. No one's been digging for further information regarding his illness.

:previous: A minor correction:
Danes living and working or studying abroad were advised to stay put and follow the guidelines issued by the country they live in - in this case France.

It was Danes who were tourists and people who did not have a permanent residence abroad who were pretty much ordered to return as soon as possible.
(There are still some 800 out there who didn't make it back in time.)

I will also quietly point out the chartered plane to South America evacuating around 130 Danes on a non-stop flight.
FYI: Challengers and Hercules transports can't make it to South America. They can hardly make it south of the Alps without refueling.

Why no pictures with the whole family ? Is seems that little Henrik is still ill.

Why no pictures with the whole family ? Is seems that little Henrik is still ill.

What kind of pictures do you imagine? I assume it would go against the regulations (or at least the general spirit of the regulations) to gather three generations from 5 different households (queen/CP-family/Prince Joachim-family/Nikolai/Felix) to take some pictures.

J&M will move in at Schackenborg and stay there for at least a period.
That is confirmed by the DRF press office.

Hmm, a number of things springs to mind.
The first thing is that it means Athena and perhaps especially Henrik can get some fresh air and move around. Because there is AFAIK no garden behind the mansion they live in at Amalienborg. It's mainly workshops and garages

The second thing is that they will live there temporarily before moving back to France. Because they intend to sell their house in Copenhagen, so no need to move back in there.
Or that they will live there until their home in Copenhagen has been renovated after Caroline Fleming moves out. That means they won't move back there until well into the summer at best.

The third thing is that Joachim after having graduated from the school in France, which I understand he is attending online at present, will take up a position that is connected with advanced staff work. A logic idea would be the NATO HQ in Brussels or in France. In the case of NATO it will make sense for his family to live at Schackenborg while he settles in there and they can find a place to live. Schackenborg is half a days drive from Brussels. (NATO personnel can still cross the borders, because the military still has to function. (*) Flying is another matter, and it may actually be safer to drive.)

Fourth - well, what do you think?

(*) In fact it was only last week that I heard fighters going up low and fast when going for a walk. A country that shall remain unnamed here, still test our readiness Corona or not.
All other not strictly necessary excersizes have otherwise been put on hold, to prevent inventions

How nice of an arrangement, selling but still being able to use it. ��
I think they wanted more space to move around, especially for the kids and dog. Makes sense.
This makes sense since I dont think France will be open for a while for them to go back.
When he first got this course I didnt think a move back to Denmark was in the cards, especially seeing that they really haven't done anything with their patronages (before covid of course).
What job Joachim will get after his course is to be seen but I can see a role in the military or NATO but def. outside of Denmark.

Personally i take the first and the second.

First for the kids is better to be more free, and second they want to prepare their house in Copenhagen before moved again.

Back to Paris for the Prince Joachim and his family:

"Over the weekend, Your Royal Highnesses Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and the children Prince Henrik and Princess Athena traveled back to Paris.

In the French capital, Prince Joachim today resumes his military training course, which the Prince has followed from Denmark for the past eight weeks through, among other things, distance education and online conferences. In addition, Prince Henrik and Princess Athena are also gradually starting their French school today, after the children have attended school education from home since March."

D.K.H. Prins Joachim og Prinsesse Marie er tilbage i Frankrig | Kongehuset

Last edited:
Billed Bladet writes they traveled via Amsterdam.

Presumably BB has some kind of knowledge for claiming that. It can hardly be a mistake made while posting, because in the very same post they bring the complete statement from the DRF press office.

Via Amsterdam?!?
Because there are no direct flights from DK to France during weekends? But if there are otherwise, why not just wait, or let Joachim go on his own?

Are there regular flights from Amsterdam to Paris?
The only way to get from Amsterdam to Paris is by air, or train or car through Belgium.
There are no ferries, that would be meaningless, just as there are no ferries from say New York to Boston.

If they hitched a ride on an air force Challenger it can easily reach Paris without refueling.
The same thing if they hitched a ride on a private corporate plane, say the one owned by Danfos.
But a short range and small propeller driven plane, like a Cessna variant, will hardly be able to make it to Paris without having to refuel at least once - and only from an airfield near Schackenborg that is!

- Forgive me for my thought-pattern but logistics is something I do in professionally, so it interests me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom