The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #06, 2017.
Written by Juliane Olsen.

Sunday forenoon our Marie and her father, Alain Cavalier, arrived at a cinema in Copenhagen for the premiere of the Lego Batman movie.
In front went morfar Cavalier, holding his grandson's hand, followed by Marie and mademoiselle Athena, who as usual wasn't the least bit disturbed by adults jumping around with cameras.

Joachim was in Jutland, renaming an airport.

At the cinema Marie met and was hugged by Camilla of Rosenborg, who was accompanying Josephine of Rosenborg and her husband, Kenneth Schmidt and their six month old son. - Who IMO is probably a liiitle bit too small to appreciate the film.
- J&M have a very good relationship with Count Ingolf and as such seemingly also with the rest of the Rosenborgs.

Present was also Ellen Hillingsøe, with daughter and her friend.

Scans will be uploaded in a few hours in the Amalienborg thread.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:03 AM
Administrator

The latest skiing pics of the family have been moved to our extra thread:

** Winter Holidays in Switzerland: 2010-2011, 2013-2015, 2017 **

Old 03-23-2017, 06:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #12, 2017.
Here a Lis Solvang would like to know whether Joachim's children also suffer from allergy.

Jon Bloch Skipper confirms that Joachim has indeed said that some of his children suffer from allergy, but he has not said who or what kind of allergy.
Joachim very much suffer from birch-pollen-allergy. Which is actually worsened by him moving to Copenhagen, because the area where he now live if full of birch-trees and the wind blow birch-pollen from Germany and Sweden.
At Schackenborg in Southern Jutland, there are less fewer trees, let alone birch trees and with wind mostly coming from west, across the sea, there is much less pollen in the air.

- My guess is that bette Henrik certainly is suffering from not only allergy but also asthma. A little guess would be Nikolai as well, but not as bad.
I think mademoiselle Athena is perfectly healthy. Don't know about Felix.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Joachim has talked about the sale of Schackenborg in an interview to the serious newspaper Jyllands Posten.

I'll see if I can get hold of a paper copy when we return to DK in a couple of days.

Prins Joachim taler ud om personligt nederlag: 'Der har været sagt og skrevet utrolig meget, som jeg ikke kan genkende' | BT Royale - www.bt.dk

He says: "It's crucial for me to tell my perception of the events, (*) because incredibly much has been said and written which I cannot recognize".

The family had not grown tired of Schackenborg and Southern Jutland, in fact it was a tough decision that took him ten years to make.
Economically speaking Schackenborg was sinking and not being able to change that was for Joachim a personal defeat. but it was "impossible" (quote) to reduce the debt in the manor.
A debt that was already there when he took over the manor in 1993.
Seen in hindsight he was too long about reaching that conclusion.
"It was a cold shower".

He adds that he sold the manor for the sake of his children. He does not believe he could allow himself to leave a manor to his children with such a debt.
Joachim emphasize that the decision had nothing to do with Southern Jutland and that Southern Jutland is still in their DNA.

The mayor of the town of Tønder, (located 3 Km from Schackenborg) Henning Frandsen says: "We still have a Prince and Princess who is very often in Southern Jutland. I do not see in any way that they have let us down in Southern Jutland".

(*) Joachim's Danish is extremely correct and I'll try convey that in my translation.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Now, I'm not saying that Joachim is straight up lying here, I just want to point out that what "has been said and written" (I'm gonna assume he's referring to the extensive tabloid coverage of the sale of Schackenborg) that he (eloquently) writes off as fabrications has merely been derived from the press release the DRF put out. He refuse that they sold Schackenborg because they wanted to move to Copenhagen (which is what the tabloids claimed – i.e. "what has been said and written") and excuse my but that's in direct conflict with what the actual press release about the sale said:

(rough translation) "The background for the establishment of the foundation is that operation of the castle with its accompanying agriculture is difficult to reconcile with T.R.H. Prince Joachim and Princess Marie's other activities as well as involvement in official duties and patronages. Furthermore, the couple wishes to move to the Copenhagen area due to family reasons."

So excuse my French but if he disagrees with the what people derive from the statement his own department of communications put out, perhaps next time he should match his expectations of the statements he put out with those of Lene Balleby before he then publicly goes out and indirectly berates the Danish media and public for making a perfectly logical conclusion to a pretty straightforward press release. I'm not arguing against the move – I can perfectly understand why they would want to come to Copenhagen – I'm arguing against the fact that he implies that the collective Danish press has treated him unfairly when in reality they have just based their articles on a statement I have to assume he must have approved before it was sent out.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Marie is on the cover of Point de Vue Magazine this month Interview at Amalienborg Palace : "My Husband is a real Viking"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBzzTrmW0AA-CTI.jpg

The interview translated

https://princessmariescloset.blogspo...-to-point.html

This week, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie are on the cover of Graensen Magazine! The interview was made on May 5th, during the family's stay at Schakenborg Castle to celebrate Prince Henrik's eighth birthday.

Prince Joachim and Princess Marie give interview to Graensen Magazine
Old 06-09-2017, 05:10 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Joachim has the image of being a pompous a**/snob in Denmark anyway so people probably dont really listen to what he says because they know he has his own truth.

Marie is very effective in playing the Sweet Marie card, I am always having a laugh when they are raving about how normal they are (but of course Joachim is known for insisting on his children being addressed with their correct titles )

I am glad to read that Marie gives priority to her kids, what else is she supposed to do? They hardly work and have servants to do the usual work at home what gives them the opportunity to live the easy life in Copenhagen, the arrangement of selling Schackenborg was a clever move in that respect.

They are lucky to be left alone by the media, I wonder how Joachim would deal with REAL scrutiny as we see with royals in other countries.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Thank, Eya.

That's great interview. - And a brilliant translation.

Well, I'm not so sure a deep scrutiny will come out the way you described.
While Joachim personally is widely seen as aloof and arrogant, and by many also lazy, there is also a considerable understanding for him selling Schackenborg. - Judging from comments here and there.

Also keep in mind that the pendulum has shifted, Alexandra is no longer getting all the good press.

I think an unbiased in-depth portrait of Joachim may provide the public with a much more nuanced picture of him, except for those who choose not to listen, and he might actually come out with a better public image.
That he had connections helping him out when he sold (a modernized and renovated) Schackenborg and that he is now vert affluent is, IMO at least, no worse than the deals top-executives get when they are "replaced". Some of those deals are downright grotesque! At least Joachim worked to build up Schackenborg, while still doing a number of royal duties.

Frederik is often compared to Frederik IX. I think it's appropriate to compare Joachim to Christian X, who was a stiff, formal, aloof, proud and certainly not an easy man to like. Yet he ended up as a very respected and popular national symbol.
Joachim has many faults, but he is also a very interesting character. I should look very much forward to a portrait of him.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Last Sunday, June 4, Joachim, Marie, Henrik and Athena attended the Heartland Festival at Egeskov Castle and Gardens:

** rex gallery ** tv2fyn.dk: Kongehuset igen på Heartland **
Old 06-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

You're a godsend, Iceflower.
I would very much like to have written about this event, based on the photos in BB this week, but my scanner is still down.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #23, 2017.
Written by the omnipresent Ulrik Ulriksen.

This is from the Heartland Festival at Egeskov Castle, which is owned by the Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille family. (I'll write more about the place in the residence thread at some point).
At lot of events takes place at Egeskov, the Heartland Festival is very much aimed at families, with live music and activities for children, including baking bread over a fire. (*) The whole thing is spiced up with good cuisine. Mostly for the adults though.
J&M went there on the last day of the festival, accompanied by their friend Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille. With them was also Joachim old classmate from Krebs School, Peter Steenstrup with his wife Henriette. Peter Steenstrup is one of Athena's godfathers. And he was indeed photographed playing backgammon with a very focused Athena. While our Marie played with her son.

While there they bumped into some of the Berleburgs. Alexandra and her Jefferson and their two children now aged 17 and 13. Neither parties knew the other was there.
Joachim explained: "It wasn't co-ordinated that we should be here with the Princess, but it's been a good day".
Marie: "We knew they were in Denmark. It's lovely to be together".
Joachim added: "It's a fantastic festival and an incredible good concept which offers much more than music. That's very well spotted. Really unique".
Marie: "It's a good idea and it's also a nice place to be with your children".

(*) I understand that in USA it's marshmallows you roast over the fire. Not sure about other countries. In DK, it's "snobrød = winding-bread". So called because it's basically white-bread dough which you wind around a stick and hold over the fire until it's done.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZfTvKKLZ-d...0/DSC_3242.JPG
It taste and not least smells like freshly baked white bread. - And if you add butter, or garlic butter or cheese on the bread, it's not only the children who will be gnawing the stick!
Here is how you apply the dough: http://sofies-verden.dk/wp-content/u...0212856143.jpg
Every kindergarten with a minimum of self-respect has a place for a fire.
Great on a cold day: http://brobaekhus.weebly.com/uploads...42784_orig.jpg
And a recipe: Snobrød (Campfire Bread) - The Family Cooks & The Family Dinner by Laurie David
Old 06-11-2017, 10:37 AM
Serene Highness

I couldn't resist... Was Joachim...not sober?

video
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVMlNTvh...ged=kongehuset
Old 06-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Serene Highness

That's awesome and now I want Joachim and Britain's Prince William to go on a lad's jolly!
Old 06-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I couldn't resist... Was Joachim...not sober?

video
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVMlNTvh...ged=kongehuset
I think so, considering the company.
But if he wasn't... Well, as long as he enjoyed himself.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Marie unveils a new portrait by Mikael Melbye. Lovely!!!

https://da-dk.facebook.com/detdanske...8706089467977/
Old 06-28-2017, 02:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Agree. Not bad. I think it captures her bubbling personality.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:18 AM
Administrator

It's the interview already mentioned above, see eya's post from June 8. She had shared link to a translation provided by a fan site.

By now the magazine's website also has an article about it:

** pointdevue.fr: Princesse Marie de Danemark: "Mon mari est un vrai Viking" ** translation **
Old 07-12-2017, 07:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

You are right, Iceflower.

I must be getting old. But then you'd be forgiven for thinking it's a different interview with the things the BT article focus on....
The Point de Vue interview is pretty comprehensive in regards to letting us get to know who our Marie and the most important people around her is.
The BT summary is pretty shallow.

So I've deleted my post and instead reread and enjoyed the translation of the interview.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Majesty

Caroline Fleming has shared this photo of her and Marie, celebrating 17 years of friendship
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXn4YE4g...lemingofficial
did not know they had been friends that long. nice pic!
Old 09-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #35, 2017.
Written by Henrik Salling.

Joachim has given an interview to the magazine [Et Cetera] where he talks a little about his life and the day to day life he has now.
The article provides a few samples.

The first time he (and Frederik) was on the job was on 2nd July 1980, where they were to baptize two ferries, Kronprins Frederik and Prins Joachim. (I've sailed on both of them). - "My parents had tried it a lot of times and said: Don't be afraid, you just swing it real hard. It's supposed to shatter, otherwise you just stand there and have to try again and again. It worked - and everything was beautiful. But the others were just around me, it was three seconds you had to stand alone in focus and say: I name you. And then you were back in the flock".

"I'm a history-nerd and love to suck in historical knowledge and love to spread it, not least to my children". So when the drive down through Germany to Switzerland or France, the children are presented with facts about the places they drive through and give them little historical tasks for them to put together.

The day to day starts like this: "Up early, warm oat-porridge for the kids, prepare the lunch box, off to school, and from there the day starts. An it can be so different. It can be in ordinary casual clothes like today, it can be in uniform and down to Kastellet (military HQ), it can be a speech or all dressed down at the office with paper work - but from we get up to the children have been send to school, we run a standard day which is comparable to 95% of the Danish population.
One difference is that our working week can be very long - and often during weekends, because many of our events are placed there. We don't have a guarantee for a weekend. (*) And we try and compensate for that - both in regards to our children and ourselves. The thing about un-plugging for 48 hours is important - and we don't necessarily have that luxury. So when we finally have a weekend where we can see that there are two free days the question is: Are we going somewhere with the kids - or do we rather need a home-weekend on the couch with a laptop more or less all the time. We literally pull the plug - and don't even want to be social with our friends - because we need to know what a weekend is".

(*) Well, hallelujah, nor have we!
Old 09-01-2017, 08:34 PM
Serene Highness

mange tak Muhler! I like the detail that HRH Prince Joachim is a history 'nerd'; I would think most of us readers of Royal Forums are!

Closed Thread

Tags
prince joachim, prince joachim and princess marie, prince joachim general news, princess marie, princess marie general news