General News about Joachim, Marie and Family 3: January 2011 - July 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Added to some of the facts Muhler mentioned,will it not be a drain on expenses security wise with the Royal Family split all over Denmark? Just asking.

Added to some of the facts Muhler mentioned,will it not be a drain on expenses security wise with the Royal Family split all over Denmark? Just asking.

Hardly. The Prince and Princess walks freely around the local area. I doubt they have guards with them on a daily basis as it is.

I know for a fact that he attended local gatherings where one of the locals in Møgeltønder would have raised a barn or whatever and the prince would attend the topping out (rejsegilde in Danish) without further notice.

I find that to be one of the most charming things about the couple - that they are royal but on occation walk the walk of the subjects, and one of the reasons why Joachim was so respected and indeed loved in south Jutland, whereas his popularity is lacking in the rest of the country.
They simply saw him as he really is, not what the tabloids made him to be.

Boy, I wish they'd stay and even fan out more, the royals.

P.S. The story is headling the newspaper Jyske Vestkysten, a Jutish newspaper. It seems that the locals understands the couple's situation, but regret it nevertheless.

The story of the Prince ending his activities at Shackenborg estate because he was "too busy with his royal role" leads me a bit in disbelief. Has the Prince never heard about a steward? That is a person who speaks, makes arrangements or takes charge for the owner.

For an example, Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands owns an estate, in the family since 1845, which is partly divided in 22 agricultural enterprises (tenants) paying lease to the owner (Princess Beatrix). Princess Beatrix really never was/is too occupied with the management. She leaves that to a steward of the domain who, with his staff, is responsible for the management of her estate.

The solution by Prince Joachim to hand it all over into a Foundation, okay, but the explanation "too busy with his royal role" is laughable. The Prince could have chosen to appoint a steward for the management of Shackenborg, accountible to him, the owner. In this scenario he would have enjoyed an income from his estate (when the management is properly done, of course). I have the idea there is more behind the screens than the explanation "too busy".

Last edited:
Article on Joachim and Marie's move.
It agrees with most of the opinions that the royals should be spread out
Lektor: Prins Joachim bryder med ældgammel tradition - sn.dk - sn.dk

part of the article
"- Travel and movements throughout the kingdom to secure the support of the people has been a field for Real for centuries, and it still holds true today."

(that's why I love the cruises that the Queen and Henrik and also Frederik and Mary do ... I also like that Frederik and Mary have decided to live during the summer elsewhere in DK and that the queen also changes residence several times during the year)

Last edited:
The solution by Prince Joachim to hand it all over into a Foundation, okay, but the explanation "too busy with his royal role" is laughable. The Prince could have chosen to appoint a steward for the management of Shackenborg, accountible to him, the owner. In this scenario he would have enjoyed an income from his estate (when the management is properly done, of course). I have the idea there is more behind the screens than the explanation "too busy".

Perhaps they simply got bored with living way out in the country?

Many people prefer city life where there is much more to do; it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of the couple craved more excitement.

Well, I have heard for years that the Schackenborg business isn't doing so well and that Joachim actually depends on the money he gets from the state for his royal duties. So I can't say I'm surprised by his decision.

At the moment (considering J+M's rather few engagements) the official explanation seems indeed a bit laughable. (Joachim's quote in BB seems more plausible to me: It's the best way to ensure the future of Schackenborg.)
But Benedikte has turned 70 this year, Henrik 80 and the Queen will be 75 next year. And the CP' couples children presumably won't be doing many (if any) royal duties for the next 20 years.
So my guess is that both J+M will overtake more duties in the next years. And then it might be handy to stay near the court in Cph for planning meetings and so on.

I personally don't see a problem with J+M living in Copenhagen permanently (they spent a lot of time there anyhow). It's not as if the Regent couple and CP couple are only doing engagements in Cph. They are spreading out and J+M will too. And for the children (and J+M) it will be nicer to live near the rest of the family.

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with this. As Joachim and Marie will be there for the summer and mingling with the locals as they always did before. Everyone has to make changes for the better for logistics and financial reasons. I expect this couple will take on more royal duties from his ageing parents. I wish them well with their new abode and hope it all works out well for the children as well.

Perhaps they simply got bored with living way out in the country?

Many people prefer city life where there is much more to do; it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of the couple craved more excitement.

And while that may be well and true, I personally find it as a royal obligation to represent the whole country, and be close not only to the copenhageners but to other parts of the realm as well.

That's "tough noogies" IMO, and one of the reasons the danes happily pay for the upkeep of the royal family.
It hasn't reduced my support for the royal family, but I must expess my deep disappointment and hope that they somehow rectify this.

I personally don't see a problem with J+M living in Copenhagen permanently (they spent a lot of time there anyhow). It's not as if the Regent couple and CP couple are only doing engagements in Cph. They are spreading out and J+M will too. And for the children (and J+M) it will be nicer to live near the rest of the family.

But there's a huge difference between living in a community and occationally visiting a community - the community here being the entire Jutland peninsula.

TRF spends a couple of weeks at Gråsten every year, the same with Marselisborg and Trend is almost never used.
I don't suspect Schackenborg to be used any more than Gråsten and then "only" by J&M.

Remember, there's a bigger picture here than the convenience of not having to travel. Fair enough to turn it over to a foundation - but keep living there, for goodness sake.
It's not a random family - it's the ROYAL family and the ONLY part of the royal family that has anyting resembling an abode in Denmark outside greater Copenhagen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't this one of the problems Joachim had with alexandr? She wanted to live In the city?

Wasn't this one of the problems Joachim had with alexandr? She wanted to live In the city?

Yes that has been rumored. Something else was wrong, I'm sure.

However, if that was the only problem there would be ways of accomodating that particular need. Let Marie (then Alexandra) keep an apartment in Copenhagen, hell they can even spend most of the year there.
But keep up appearances and insist on getting your mail in Møgeltønder.
Danes can be very accomodating and understanding in that regard - but this move effectively severs the ties that had been forged with the jutes regarding locality, respect and familarity. And that, to danes in general and jutes in particular, is an invaluable currency and was a boon to the Royal Family as a whole.
It made us "cope" (sorry if I sound like a spoiled child) with the fact that the copenhageners got the head of the royal family and even the crown prince couple, leaving us the junior branch of the family.
Now we have nothing but the occational visit at christmas and the odd spotting of a court car near Trend.

It made us "cope" (sorry if I sound like a spoiled child) with the fact that the copenhageners got the head of the royal family and even the crown prince couple, leaving us the junior branch of the family.
Now we have nothing but the occational visit at christmas and the odd spotting of a court car near Trend.

I've gotten the impression, could be wrong of course, that the CP couple are the ones spending most time at the cabin in Trend. For all we know, they could be there at the moment. It seems to be a very private place and we never get to see photos from their stay.

A couple of days ago, I read an article in a Danish paper. Some expert (or something) thought, that now that Joachim and Marie move to Copenhagen, Frederik and Mary "should" start to spend a couple of months at Gråsten every summer, to make up for J&M moving from Jylland.

Frederik and Mary sure have their holidays planned for the rest of their lives...;)

Last edited:
I've gotten the impression, could be wrong of course, that the CP couple are the ones spending most time at the cabin in Trend. For all we know, they could be there at the moment.

The cabin was abandoned for a long time in the 90's and after Mary entered the stage, a few new years parties etc. has been held there.

However, it is not a place where the RF spend weeks and weeks, let alone live.
Schackenborg was a home, a place of residence, on a permanent basis.

Only Amalienborg, Gråsten and at times Fredensborg has had a similar status (and Sorgenfri, I suppose).

With the passing of Queen Ingrid, Gråsten is left to it's own devices with the exception of a fortnight in the summer, and Fredensborg is a summer residence also (although for much longer and much more systematically).

Marselisborg is housing the Christmas tree (and the CP couple has abandoned even that tradition) and little else.

The CP couple especially seems evermore committed to Copenhagen and other nations entirely, and only visits other places in Denmark for a few hours and rarely engages with the locals the way Joachim did in Møgeltønder.

The tradition of having Ingrid in Gråsten was sort of kept up by Joachim in Møgeltønder, even emphasized it as he was young, active and had small children and a charming princess - now it's Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Copenhagen.

And the major part of Danes actually know their neighbours. Only in Copenhagen (an exaggeration, I know) can you remain anonymous and that is not the "Danish way" - the RF having a representative engaging in that "Danish way" made up for a lot throughout the small cities and towns.

The cabin was abandoned for a long time in the 90's and after Mary entered the stage, a few new years parties etc. has been held there.

It looks to me that Frederik and Mary do spend more time in Trend. The past birthdays of Christian and Isabella come to mind. :flowers: (or maybe im confsuing the locations). Dont they spend their summers in Denmark somewhere (sorry im forgetting the names)

But back to Joachim and Marie. Would they be living in the city in a "normal" house like Alexandra or Sorgenfri (where Elizabeth moved into)?

sorry if im confusing the locations

It looks to me that Frederik and Mary do spend more time in Trend. The past birthdays of Christian and Isabella come to mind. :flowers: (or maybe im confsuing the locations). Dont they spend their summers in Denmark somewhere (sorry im forgetting the names)

But back to Joachim and Marie. Would they be living in the city in a "normal" house like Alexandra or Sorgenfri (where Elizabeth moved into)?

sorry if im confusing the locations

It seems they are looking for a large villa like Alexandra and Martin.

Personally I'd prefer it if they chose Sorgenfri or another of the palaces as their residence since they can't bear to stay at Schackenborg, but I suppose one of the reasons of moving is getting away from the castle-lifestyle.

Joachim and Marie could buy Princess Elizabeths house.

She is lacking money and therefor had to put it up for sale some month ago.

Joachim and Marie could buy Princess Elizabeths house.

She is lacking money and therefor had to put it up for sale some month ago.

The Prince has placed 13 million DKK (some 1,75 million Euro) in the foundation. I wonder if he has money left to buy Sorgenfri, which has quite a prize tag.

I think beside the big price tag to keep their place in Jutland it's the education later on for the kids n to remain closer to the older kids, honest I'm acuity g URL I would prefer to live in Copenhagen or very close to it so I can understand them wanted to move there!!!! But as royal family support by the tax payers they should to do the effort to visit the rest of the cities more often n spend time with the locals

The only thing that has changed in this aspect, is The eldest going to bording school.

Iirc, they have always spent a lot of time at Kopenhagen, and the little ones switched between kindergarten there and in Mogeltonder. But as soon as Henrik goes to school, that won't work anymore. They must decide for one school anyway.

And then the up-keep for Schackenborg must be enormous. Those old houses constantly need repair in one place or another. And the heating costs are usually gigantic. The farm probably isn't profitable enough to provide for all that. But I don't know enough about finance to understand how a foundation would solve that problem, as the castle would still have to be up-kept.

The Prince has placed 13 million DKK (some 1,75 million Euro) in the foundation. I wonder if he has money left to buy Sorgenfri, which has quite a prize tag.

Experts estimate that he has assets left round Schackenborg worth at least 110mio DKK (12 mio. euro).

I would like it if more palaces were kept within the family. It adds something to a place that someone - the owner - lives there.

I think beside the big price tag to keep their place in Jutland it's the education later on for the kids n to remain closer to the older kids, honest I'm acuity g URL I would prefer to live in Copenhagen or very close to it so I can understand them wanted to move there!!!! But as royal family support by the tax payers they should to do the effort to visit the rest of the cities more often n spend time with the locals

Not visit. LIVE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Iirc, they have always spent a lot of time at Kopenhagen, and the little ones switched between kindergarten there and in Mogeltonder. But as soon as Henrik goes to school, that won't work anymore. They must decide for one school anyway.

And then the up-keep for Schackenborg must be enormous. Those old houses constantly need repair in one place or another. And the heating costs are usually gigantic. The farm probably isn't profitable enough to provide for all that. But I don't know enough about finance to understand how a foundation would solve that problem, as the castle would still have to be up-kept.

There is big challenges for the danish nobility about repairs and maintanence.

I can mention Egeskov that has chosen to open up for guests.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A7x9...skov.dk//RK=0/RS=1BwQ6PDslx4jT_upxMG19LpJuro-

That is truly an amazing place.

While par example Constantinsborg, Frijsenborg, Gyllingnæs, and Wedellsborg,are succesfully run as estates.

There is big challenges for the danish nobility about repairs and maintanence.

I can mention Egeskov that has chosen to open up for guests.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A7x9...skov.dk//RK=0/RS=1BwQ6PDslx4jT_upxMG19LpJuro-

That is truly an amazing place.

While par example Constantinsborg, Frijsenborg, Gyllingnæs, and Wedellsborg,are succesfully run as estates.
I have seen a couple of TV interviews and documentaries of German nobles explaining how difficult it is to keep these old buildings in good repair. The costs are immense and a lot of dedication, resourcefulness and creativity is needed to keep them going. So I guess it's the same in Denmark and everywhere else.

Since Schackenborg is a private estate, the maintenance must be paid from the proceeds from the estate. On the other hand some solutions like opening for visitors or frequent cultural events are impossible due to Prince Joachim's royal status.

And I do understand completely that it is a loss for the region of Jutland to have them move out. It must have been a difficult decision for J & M.

Afaik, Schackenborg is a listed building. Some of the upkeep is paid for by the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom