General News about Joachim, Marie and Family 3: January 2011 - July 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Marie of Denmark attending the Designers Remix show at The Blue Planet in Copenhagen as part of Copenhagen Fashion Week on August 8, 2013.

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6

I love princess Marie new haircut. It suit's her very well. And i wont that dress for me. It´s very sexy.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #33, 2013.
Nyt look - New look.
Written by the Ulrik Ulriksen.

Wearing a patterned dress from Designers Remix and sporting a new haircut on this windy day Marie showed up for the Designers Remix show at the CIFF at 20.45.
She was actually supposed to have been there at 20.00 but the show was late and the organisers called the driver and asked him to bring Marie later, but unfortunately they were almost there, so our Marie and her LiW Britt Siesbye had to circle around the block for half an hour.
At the entrance Marie was met by an organiser wh apologized for the trouble, which didn't seem to bother Marie.

A few days prior to that Marie attended a fashion show by David Andersen and afterwards she went to a reception backstage, with her good friends Christian and Agnethe Scherfig. Here they stayed for an hour. Marie had a good and long chat with among other her very good friend and hairdresser, Dennis Knudsen. There is a funny pic of her in the article winking at him but as Dennis Knudsen is very much gay I don't think Joachim needs to worry.
Dennis Knudsen incidentally took a bad fall from a bicylcle a couple of days later and he is now suffering from a severe case of asphalt-rash to the face.

Marie wore a long necklace from Georg Jensen.

At the show Marie also talked about Joachim car crash the weekend before: "It looked pretty bad and one must know that it can after all be dangerous.
Generally I think he is very skilled and very careful. But everything can happen. Fortunately nothing happened and he is really well. But car isn't so well". - So Joachim hasn't been banned from driving.
Marie, and the Scherfigs I presume, walked back to Amalienborg from the show.

Last edited:

That's from the tabloid Ekstra Bladet.

It's hardly worth commenting on, because it's an insult to the readers.

Schackenborg is a business, a farm.

Sometimes you borrow in order to invest in machinery, buildings, land whatever. That's normal for any business and it's not the first time Joachim has done that.
That (hopefully) should not have anything to do with his private economy.

It's basically something every homeowner is familiar with, albeit on a smaller scale. We got a new roof last year, so we borrowed the money with security in our house. That just means that we have increased our debt, but the house is worth more and our personal economy is still fine.

And I seriously doubt there is any reason to worry about Alexandra's finances!
She is merely utillising the debt for tax deductions. There was an article about that a couple of years after the divorce. Her expenditure matched almost exactly the amount she recieved in apanage down to the last DKK. And expenditures covered by the apanage (that was before she married Martin Jørgensen) were vat refundable. That was de facto a 25% discount she got on top of that. - Oh yes, Alexandra is no fool when it comes to money!

Last edited:
If they got their numbers right, I actually think that Joachims economy is on the rocks. I totally agree with Muhler - borrowing money to invest in your property is just fine. Nothing to worry about. But Joachim has borrowed a lot the last couple of years (if Svensk Damtidning are correct).

2007: 6 million DK
2008: 7 million DK
2012: 9 million DK
2013: 20 million DK

The total amount of loans on Schackenborg is 42 million DK, all of those taken the last couple of years. The property is estimated to be worth around 40 million DK. To me, that sounds like problems.

If they got their numbers right, I actually think that Joachims economy is on the rocks. I totally agree with Muhler - borrowing money to invest in your property is just fine. Nothing to worry about. But Joachim has borrowed a lot the last couple of years (if Svensk Damtidning are correct).

2007: 6 million DK
2008: 7 million DK
2012: 9 million DK
2013: 20 million DK

The total amount of loans on Schackenborg is 42 million DK, all of those taken the last couple of years. The property is estimated to be worth around 40 million DK. To me, that sounds like problems.

Yes, but how much is the business Schackenborg worth? We are not just talking about the manor but machinery, land and other assets. The business produce something as well, which is sold. The grain harvest alone is expected to be very good this year and that is worth quite a few millions as well.
And the assumption is apparantly that Joachim should not have paid on his debt since 2007.

As a private homeowner there is a limit to how big a loan you can have in your house, I don't know the rules for businesses but Joachim has recently invested in France and he would not be able to do that if his financial situation was that bad. It's difficult enough to borrow money for investments for healthy businesses!

One of the first signs that a business has problems is that they sack people. There has been nothing of that to my knowledge. The info I have from the last couple of years is that the farm is doing well, not exceptionally well, but well. Joachim hasn't sold off land, which would be a natural thing to do in a crisis.

So if I should choose between believing that:
A) Joachim's economy is disastrous
or
B) Ekstra Bladet's angling of the story is not objective.
I'll choose B.

The same thing for Alexandra. If her economy is so bad, she would sell her house in Turkey.

So a good deal of sceptisism is advised.
Debt is after all tax deductable.

ADDED: I checked my archive. In 2010 the Stewarts building at Schackenborg was renovated and converted into a small hotel/congress building. That would have required a loan. But that part of the estate must be assumed to generate some kind of income by now.

And here is an excerpt from the serious Landbrugsavisen = a paper for farming businesses about an investments and a loan Joachim made in 2007:
Landbrugsavisen.

Prins Joachim låner 6,1 million i gods – Prince Joachim borrow 6.100.000 DKK in (his) estate.

Prince Joachim has loaned 6.100.000 DKK in Danske Banks Realkredit Danmark. (*) The money will among other things be used for a garage for tractors.
His Royal Highness Prince Joachim has borrowed 6.100.000 DKK in his estate Schackenborg at Møgeltønder. He has borrowed the money free of amortization through Danske Banks Realkredit Danmark and they will among other things be used to buy new machines and to build a repair shop and a garage for tractors, informs Ekstra Bladet.

The paper speculates whether some of the money will also go to a wedding with the Prince’s French sweetheart Marie Cavallier. But the manager of the estate Søren Frederiksen denies that:

“I don’t know whether the Prince is going to marry or when it may (**) be. But I do know that the 6.000.000 DKK are to be invested in the manor”, he says.

(*) A finance institute.

(**) Maybe as in: I have no idea if they are going to marry at all.

(Comment from 2007). Ekstra Bladet hasn’t written much about Joachim’s supposedly financial troubles. So wonder if he has any?
- Or could it be that the reporters at Her & Nu cannot comprehend that an investment of 27.000.000 DKK really isn’t that much in a company as large as Schackenborg? Or could it be that they are sensationalist? – No, perish the thought.

Last edited:
Follow up:

I've done some homework on the economy at Schackenborg based mainly on Landbrugsavisen - the paper for farming businesses, but also Politiken.

I won't go into details but rather summarize it briefly here.

Joachim borrowed money in 2008 to invest in garages.
In 2009 the export of Christmas trees to not least China, went very well, thank you!

In 2010 the financial crisis hurt and Joachim laid off people and when the stewart retired the position was not replaced with someone else. Instead the house was converted into a hotel/conference centre.

The grain harvest in 2012 was very good and the prices were high generating a comfortable surplus.

The business co-orporation The Five Farms of which Schackenborg is one, which export grain, oils, honey, meat and so on is doing well. They have for the past few years invested heavily in Eastern Europe. - We must presume Joachim has borrowed money for that as well.
They are also expanding these years with the weight on export.

The latest loan was made with security not only in Schackenborg - but also in around ten farms and houses around Møgeltønder also owned by Joachim.

One loan, in 2008, was according to the serious Weekly Søndagsavisen also speculation in the interests going down. It was a loan with flexible interests.

The impression I get is of a business that at least for one year was hit by the financial crisis, but is otherwise expanding.

The mortgage deeds, which the public including Ekstra Bladet, have access to, do not tell us how much Joachim has paid off on his debt.

The farms and houses mentioned above are registered as Joachim being the sole owner, as well as Schackenborg. Which means that Marie is not involved in any potential financial problems that may arise.

Last edited:
Thanks for your extensive research, Muhler! I'm glad to say that I think you're right (and not Svensk damtidning) :)

Very thorough information you've provided and explains everything. The paper should have checked your posts before publishing an article with inaccurate information. Of course, this is just a rarity for the media. ;-) Thank you so much, I appreciate your time and patience in providing an answer. :)

I thought castles and palaces were originally state property therefore they don't pay for it.

Schackenborg belongs to Joachim personally, just as Marselisborg belongs to the Regent Couple.
Unfortunately the manor Joachim inherited from the Schack family was very neglected. It has cost a heap of money to renovate it over the years.
Joachim said a couple of years ago that the next big project would be to renovate the main stairs inside the manor - when he had the surplus to do it, so little by little...

At least they now have more bathrooms and decent heating in the corridors in the wings of the manor. In Alexandra's time you really had to think twice before getting out of bed, rush down the corridors to the other wing to get a shower during the winter! (I wrote a summary about that somewhere).
It's perhaps not so strange that Alexandra preferred to stay in Copenhagen.

I believe Joachim's economy is fine, however, if he was really sensible he would say: screw the obligations, and convert Schackenborg into a hotel. Then he wouldn't have that burden to deal with. - But of course he wont.
He could buy a house in Southern Jutland the size of Alexandra's for max two-thirds of the prize.

No word about his 5,6 million debts ?

Nothing.

Nothing on the news on both main networks.

Nothing in the serious papers, not even in the tabloid BT.

Nothing in the papers dealing with financial stuff.

- Surprising isn't it? Considering how sensational this is, if indeed it was true that Joachim is on the brinck of financial ruin.
Even the source of the story, the tabloid Ekstra Bladet, hasn't followed up on their sensational discovery. You should think such a juicy story would be worth gold, wouldn't you?

So perhaps he isn't in such huge financial trouble after all...

But the damage is done, too many people (and webmasters) who don't take the time to stop and think for a moment, have jumped in with both legs and now believe it.

Last edited:
BB this week writes about our Marie's hairdresser, Dennis Knudsen, who is now writing his autobiography. (*)

Here he tells an anecdote from his 50th birthday earlier this year. As you may recall Marie and Joachim went to the party after having returned from Madeleine's wedding in Stockholm and by the time they arrived Dennis Knudsen was standing in his unmentionables on a stage about to being weighed in order to determine his body-fat-mass. (Or whatever it's called in English).
"That was by the way in the same moment Princess Marie and Prince Joachim arrived and was shown to their seats on the front row. Immediatly I lept down from the stage in order to properly welcome both of them with a big huggie. If I'd been thinking I would out of respect never have hugged the royals wearing underpants. Had they only arrived five minuttes before and seen me dressed appropriatly in my fine suit? Now the Princess saw her stylist in the deep end and fortunately Marie and Joachim are not squeamish".

- No, but patient... Remind me not to put this autobiography on my wish list for Christmas.
And thus ends this weeks BB summaries.

(*) Everybody seems to be writing their autobiography these days, which is fine, if they only had a story to tell... But most people (fortunately) live a boring life.

Last edited:
:previous:cool. is it about the castle or special anniversary/project?

were can we read the interview? Thye look soo happy and natural? Love the dog on his lap....:flowers:

According to the article in the serious newspaper Politiken, Schackenborg denies any association with the businessman who claims to have sold banned fertillizer to amongst other Schackenborg.
So unless something turns up, Joachim has not done anything wrong, and Svensk Damtidning has, not for the first time, been a little quick with the headlines.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #6, 2014.
Written by Trine Larsen.

Who met Joachim at an umentioned occasion. There is incidentally a charming picture of Joachim and Athena in the article, where he is looking absolutely smitten at his daughter.
Athena has a more cool look as she gaze at the photographer.

Anyway, a very delighted Joachim talked with our reporter how it was to be alone with the children, while our Marie was in Ethiopia. (*)
He smiles: "They did survive. - They are after all well-behaved children - and if you keep them in a leash tight enough it's manageble". He smiles broadlyand goes on: "No, its true that it can be a challenge when their mother is suddenly away, also at night. Athena is just at that age where she is old enough to understand that mother is gone, and too young to understand when she will be coming back.
But I think it went really well. While Henrik is fully aware of the fact that mother will come back, Athena is still too young to understand when, even though she has a positive outlook on life. So there have been a couple of mornings after a few days, where she was a bit sad and wanted her mother but then it's about quickly coming up with something that can distract.
But then the joy of reunion was great, that was utterly fantastic to see. But that joy was shared by all of us".

(*) The Danish expression for a man whose wife is away for a period is græsenkemand = grass-widower.
For a woman it's græsenke = grass-widow.
Don't ask me why.

Our Marie has given an interview to a women's weekly, Alt For Damerne.
Prinsesse Marie: "Derfor faldt jeg for Joachim" - Alt for damerne

Do you like sweet stories that are a little bit sentimental? If so, read on.
If this is not your style, don't read on. Or you might find yourself blowing the big tuba in the bathroom...

The interview took place at Amalienborg on Marie's birthday.

She talks about her husband, bette Henrik and her travels.

She is in Denmark now and a Princess, because she gave love a chance, as she puts it. You must seize the opportunity when it presents itself:
"I think of my husband, when I say that about seizing the opportunity/chance. The love for him has given me the chance to help make a difference for other people through my work".

Marie becomes a little shy when she's asked what she fell for in Joachim (apart from him being a perfect gentleman of course):
"Well, he's utterly fantastic. He has that certain Danish way of behaving, very discreet and a little humble. That's charming. Really".

After returning from Ethiopia she felt an urge to share her experience, also with her children:
When you have seen so many children - children at the same age as Athena and Henrik - who had to cope on their own, it does set in motion some thoughts. That's why it was very important to tell about the journey and the experiences.
It is of course very surreal for Henrik to listen to, but I think he understands some of it. He asks many questions: Mother, what do you mean that they are not being fed? And why are they not fed?
He is only four years old, but if I already now begin to tell him the stories about what I experience on my travels as patron, the he knows that this IS reality. And then perhaps he can better understand that he shouldn't complain when he is served pasta twice in one week (laughing). I tell him that he should be pleased with what's on his plate. And then he looks at me and says: Mother, relax/cool it".
But I can tell in his eyes, that he is concerned for other people. And by the way, he said something that was just so sweet. He said: Mother, the next I'd like to come with you, because I can play with these children. And I answered: Oh, honey, I would so much like you to come with me, but you are perhaps still a little too young".

- Aww, wasn't that sweet?

It so happens that my mother-in-law buy that magazine, so I expect to get my hands on it eventually.

BB has a little more from the interview: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/lille-prins-henrik-til-prinsesse-marie-mor-slap-af

It's important for Marie that her children also learn French:
"I try to speak French with our children, but they ONLY respond in Danish".
She laughs and goes on: "They understand it, when I speak French to them, but they only say something in French when they want to. When I'm visiting my mother and Henrik would like to play, he says - with Danish accent: Jour, jour. I have no accent when I speak French with my children, but my boy has. That's so sweet, and I think he'll be there eventually. He's just reached the age where he's a bit stubborn".

- I love these sorts of articles. Partly because Marie is such a delight and easy to translate, but also because I revel in sugary stories. The more sugary the better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom