General News about Joachim, Marie and Family 2: August 2009 - January 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Danish Constitution states that if the Monarch is away from the country, the Crown Prince will have to act as a regent.
If the Crown Prince is also away or incapable of performing his task, a Rigsforstander will step in his place. (A rigsforstander is basically the same a a regent, just different name).
Now, in theory every Danish citizen of legal age and sound mind and so on can be appointed to rigsforstander. (Of course no criminals or insane can be rigsforstander. Nor members of the government because they already have a constitutional position).
In reality the Rigsforstander has been appointed from people who are in line for the throne and who are closely related to the monarch. - With the odd exception.

There is nothing constitutional to hinder Prince Henrik, Mary or la Marie becoming rigsforstander. In fact the late Queen Ingrid sometimes acted as a rigsforstander for her daughter QMII. Presumably because there were so few closely related adults around at the time. - And few would doubt Queen Ingrid's abillities to act as a rigsforstander.

It is certainly not impossible to imagine Mary being a rigsforstander sometimes in the future, if say Frederik die before her, like what happened to Queen Ingrid.
Or Frederik become gravely ill and their children are not of legal age and QMII is dead. In which case Joachim would step in, and if he is abroad, the natural rigsforstander would be Mary.

If, by some horrific tragedy, all the members of the DRF would die, with the exception of the children of Joachim and Frederik. And Mary and Marie would still be alive. Then it would be almost a certainty that Mary would be regent (not rigsforstander if she has become a queen and thus a majesty, things are a bit funny in that respect*) for her son Christian, the crown prince. Until he turns eighteen. - Perhaps even with Marie as the occasional rigsforstander.
But there are many what if's in that scenario.

Rigsforstander is an old world and can be translated litterally as the headmaster of the realm, or manager/principal of the realm.

(*) The current Queen Margrethe II is actually Queen Margrethe I. The first Queen Margrethe (who was a very capable and formidable lady) lived in the 1400's was a regent for her son, the crown prince and when he suddenly died, she quickly found a stepson and informed everyone: "This is my stepson Erik, the new crown prince, and I'm a regent for him as well. Okay??!! And we are all happy with that, right!!??!!". -
In fact not everyone was happy with that and oddly enough a young man was at some point produced, who claimed to be the dead son (on behalf of who knows?) and he claimed his right as a crown prince. Queen Margrethe seized and "questioned" him. Verdict: Imposter! Can't even speak the lingo, ha! - She torched him. He was burned at the stake - aaand a number of people understood the message, because there was no uprising as would have been expected in such a situation. No more laid claim to the throne.
That was a brief summary of one of the more interesting parts of QMI's life, which indeed was very interesting! And also why she deservedly has been labelled Queen Margrethe I since then.

The Danish Royals will be staying on the Yacht Dannebrog (which would be considered Danish soil)
Due to what happened and the deaths of all the government officials in Poland, the Danish government would want Joachim to remain in Denmark...............................

Even William & Harry now have to fly in seperate planes when they go to Africa next month.......it is logical !

Christian will attend the wedding as he has some part in it............I assume they Isabella won't be left behind with the nanny but will be with them on the yacht

Solidarity with her husband?
And the fact that she hardly knows Joachim's Swedish relatives or certainly don't know them well.
Come to think of it, for all we know Marie may not even want to go. ;)

Come to think of it, for all we know Marie may not even want to go. ;)

:lol: Yeah. However, I'm willing to bet you three bananas and a rocking chair, she would very much like to go.

Princess Marie has been interviewed by the magazine Femina (issue #20) and she said among other things:

http://www.femina.dk/Dig%20og%20dit%20liv/...esse-Marie.aspx

Q: Your Royal Higness, how is it to lose your anonymity?
M: "It's not easy suddenly seeing yourself exposed and be someone a lot has an opinion about. Previously I could do what I wanted without being watched when I was in a public space. Still I feel fortunate to have settled in Denmark... In other countries you are more exposed when you are famous or a royal".

Q: How much of your time are you able to schedule yourself?
M: "Time is a luxury... But we are also busy with Schackenborg, it's not just our home, it's an agricultural business, which must be run.... fortunately my husband and I work together on that".

Q: "What with Prince Joachim did you fell for?
M: (Laughing) "Take it easy, I wont say: All of it! But almost ... His kindness.... and his great patience. I took pretty long about deciding whether I would move to Denmark and he was just so patient. And then he is very stubborn...".

Q: So it was because of his stubborness that you were persuaded to move to Denmark and marry?
M: "Yes, he isn't a man to give up. Just the kind of man I wanted"!

Q: What rolemodels did you grow up with?
M: "The first I think of is my father's mother. She is besides being my grandmother (farmor), my best friend".

Q: What did she say when you told her you had met a Danish Prince?
M: "Now, that's a good question (laughing). My family always put my happiness first. And my grandmother (bedstemor, the general word for grandmother) do not look at what people are, she just wish for me to be happy. When she had been with Joachim for an hour, she was convinced that I had made a good choice. My husband was pretty clever too. Because when he was going to propose to me, he asked my grandmother (bedstemor) for my hand in marriage, before he asked my parents. That he did so made me love him even more".

Q: When you said yes to Joachim, you said to an entirely different life... did that make you nervous?
M: "Yes, I was afraid not being able to live up to the expectations of my husband and other people.
But I've learned something important from my sister-in-law (svigerinde) Crown Princess Mary: Don't worry, things will come into place (said in English)! And they do. Even though Crown Princess Mary is busy, she has always been a support to me, when I needed it".

Q: When do you most feel like a princess and when do you most feel like Marie?
M: "Honestly? I always feel like Marie. My life has changed but inside I'm still the same".

Interviewer: Camilla Lindemann.

If you want more from this interview, you'll have to buy this weeks issue of Femina.

- Now, wasn't that sweet? :lol:

I wonder if Mary in some way regard la Marie as the younger sister she hasn't got?
Petite Marie on the other hand has no sister, so she mat regard Mary as an older sister.
They appear to speaking English together when really talking ind depth about something. That makes sense as the Marie spend years in USA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much Muhler! I was finally able to understand an interview:flowers:.

Thank you so much Muhler, your posts are always appreciated!
The interview was very sweet from Marie. Even though I'm French myself I never figured out what kind of person she is. I'm not saying that because of few words written on a magazine you could draw something from her personality :) but still I think she is a very sweet and warm person.
I'm also glad that by her kind words for Mary, she might have ended some suspiscious minds about her relationship with her sister-in-law. I've always personally thought that the two of them were closer than they seemed in public. Don't forget, Mary is godmother to Marie's beloved first son! But there are really few pics of them bonding that it's easy to think otherwise. What I really feared was that if they didn't get along it's fine, it's only up to them, God knows how bad relationships between sister-in-laws can go sour. What I feared most is that if it was the case, then it would have put a distance between the two brothers Frederik and Joachim, and given the fact that there are only the two of them to support each other on their jobs in the future it would have been very sad for them as siblings and as royals to Denmark.

You are welcome Katelle & Crownprincess5. :)

In Billed Bladet #20, 2010, they have more on the interview.

The interviewer, Camilla Lindemann, asked the questions in Danish and Princess Marie replied in English, as she feels she can better express herself in English.

She would like to have more children.

Apart from stating that Joachim is a stubborn man she also said: ".. His good manners, he is a gentleman. He always thing about how he can make me happy. And then he is very stubborn... We can discuss for hours". (*)

About becoming a bonus-mother (i.e. a woman who is married to your father, but who has not adopted you), an expression she did not know:
- "That's a good expression. I have myself been in the situation where I aquired a bonus-mother. My father remarried after my parent's divorce, so I sensed how I wished tp meet Nikolia and Felix. Of course I didn't exactly how they felt, but I was able to put myself in their position. And I immediately felt welcomed by them. I reallt think they wished for their father to by happy/glad again, that was important for them. And I could not have had tow more loving step-sons. They are the best. They are funny and very charming. I love being with them. And then they are so fond of their littlebrother, even though the age difference is big".
She talks about how she was a tomboy as a child and only started to become more feminine when she was a teen. She has always liked to dress neatly but she has never had any dreams about becoming a princess.

About Mary, she also said: "... She has afterall been through the same (as me), so she understands me".

(*) I remember Joachim saying about la Marie, that she is also stubborn.

Thanks for the translation I really appreciate it

It's a shame they will not be attending the wedding. I understand someone has to stay but this is the wedding of someone Joachim is close to.
She will be upset that she can't wear a nighty or a hollywood dress.

Good interview! It's nice that Princess Mary supports Marie.

thanks for the translations! it's really appreciated for those of us who can't speak french. i loved reading it - we haven't really heard much about marie and her adjusting to her new life.

The interview was very sweet from Marie. Even though I'm French myself I never figured out what kind of person she is. I'm not saying that because of few words written on a magazine you could draw something from her personality :) but still I think she is a very sweet and warm person.

In that case you may be interested in this from my archive:

Excerpts from an interview in Point de Vue. PART ONE.
Written by Etienne de Monpezat.
Translated to Danish by Henrik Salling.
Printed in an appendix in Billede Bladet, January 2010.

Q: We are in the middle of the Danish winter. Here on Schackenborg you stay during the short dark winter days on a remote mansion in the outskirts of a small provincial town. Wasn’t it difficult to adjust from Geneva, New York and Paris to this dark Danish forest?
- “Firstly you exaggerate about the length of the Danish nights. The sun goes down around 16.30 and rise around 08.00. Apart from that I neither feel confined nor imprisoned here. Half the time we spend in Copenhagen, which I love – it’s a happy and lively city. Of course mostly during spring and summer with its pedestrian streets, canals and small colourful houses and cafes. But at the moment when it’s so lit up (Christmas decorations), it’s really festive and at least as lovely as during the summer. When you walk beneath a starry clear night sky, the dark nights are not as sinister as you might imagine”.

Q: A survey has recently shown that the Danes are the happiest people in the world. What do you think about that?
- “It’s true that the Danes love to laugh – they are obliging and open towards others. Isn’t that the definition of happiness? I’m proud of being part of that spirit”.

Q: What other qualities will you attribute the Danes?
- “One of the things that have struck me, besides their spontaneity, is their…. how shall I explain it, humbleness. Let me explain. They never show superiority or pretence – no matter what social background they have; the term hierarchy is alien to the Danes. There is no snobbery. In USA where I lived, social classes arise because of money. Even in France, they (*) have maintained a strong sense of social distance. You don’t find that at all in Denmark”. (**)

Q: Says you who now belongs to the royal family?
- “The DRF is obviously well liked and respected. But I feel that the adoration who among others the Queen is exposed to is a sign of genuine love”.

Q: How do people address you?
- “As Princess Marie. But when I meet people out (on the job or on the street?) they also just call me Marie. It’s the same with Joachim”.

Q: How do people distinguish between yours and Crown Princess Mary’s names?
- “Simply by the spelling of each name or by the pronunciation. Mary is English and Marie is French”.

Q: We spoke earlier about the harsh Danish winter. (***) So to continue the about the difficulties, let’s talk about the Danish language, which appears to be a difficult language to master.
- “I feel pretty fortunate, because I love to learn something new. But I have to admit that Danish is a difficult language. The pronunciation and the dialects. (****) I’ve worked hard to get where I am right now. But I am so fortunate that I understand most the first time I hear it. I’ve been told that I progress very swiftly and they tease me in Copenhagen because I apparently have a Jutlandic dialect”. (*****)

Q: Do you feel you have overcome the difficulties?
- “Fortunately I don’t see things that way. I like to learn something new and I love Joachim. So where are the difficulties? To commit to love is never a burden but always a pleasure”.

Q: Let me ask in another way. Do you ever feel that your royal position is a limitation?
- “No one in this world get anything for free. On one hand I have all the advantages of being a member of a loved and respected family. Regardless of the glorification, the honour/integrity and the maintaining of a tradition the Danes are fond of. And me? My only mission is to be worthy. What better challenge can you get? Sometimes hard but never a limitation. An opportunity and an honour”.

Q: Do you get help from the Queen during this learning process?
- “I have the greatest respect for Her Majesty Queen Margrethe, but I’m not directly being taught by her. My best teacher is Joachim. He is extremely knowledgeable about his country’s history and very passionate (about it). He is genuinely very cultured. He loves to share his knowledge and he does so with passion and patience. I learn from the Queen by watching her. But there are sometimes at family meetings and official ceremonies, where she explains special traditions and their significance. But it’s never a formal matter. I try to learn as much as possible by just observing and if there is something I don’t understand I ask”.

Q: What official duties do you have?
- “If I am to be honest they are pretty limited for the moment, but there is a simple reason for that. I got pregnant two months after our wedding. Since the birth of Henrik there hasn’t been time for more than taking care of him. I breastfed for the first three months and the only help I got was from a young girl who wasn’t a trained nanny. (******) So I’ve had to learn everything.
When that is said, then Joachim and I have just returned from an official visit to China. We travelled for almost two weeks between Hong Kong and Beijing in order to give our support to the Danes who live and work in China. During our visit there were also several commercial offensives on behalf of Danish businesses. In Hong Kong Joachim and I lit two large Christmas trees which come from Schackenborg and which have been decorated by Danes. This year we have sold more than 19.000 Christmas trees to China.
But as soon as I get more time I will obviously become much more involved in issues I feel/care for”.

Q: What could that be for example?
- “There are a lot of things that haven’t been coordinated yet. I will not say yes to something superficial. For the moment I’m involved in UNESCO in Copenhagen and in Southern Danish University. I would also very much like to do something for the Southern Jutlandic region”.

Q: Let’s talk about the history; can you give us some history?
Joachim: “When I was nine in 1978 I inherited the manor and the land – around 1.000 hectares.
When I got married for the first time Alexandra and I decided to move here. The manor was in a very poor condition – the heating system only worked in the two wings, which are located opposite each other. So in order to take a bath we had to walk through a whole section of ice-cold living rooms. It was minus 20 degrees C outside that winter. But thanks to an extraordinary donation (from the Danish people as a wedding present), it was possible to renovate the mansion so that it became habitable”.

Q: Can you tell a little about the history of the manor?
Joachim: “The history goes back a long time, so I’ll make it brief.
Originally it was a fief under the church, where the bishop of Ribe built a sort of fortress. During the Reformation (1530’s) Christian III seized the area. And during the 1600’s King Frederik III handed over the castle to (general) Hans Schack for service during the war against the Swedes. In 1661 field marshal Schack build the manor you see today. Ten years later he received a royal title and the Schack family became the second most influential family in the country. At some point they were the owners of one of the buildings of Amalienborg Slot – that building my parents live in today. As Count Schack didn’t have children himself the manor was handed back to the crown”.

PART TWO OF THE INTERVIEW.

Q: Let’s return to little Henrik. Why did you choose that name?
Marie: “Firstly I’ve always loved that name. Secondly it’s the name of his grandfather (farfar) and the name of his great great grandfather (tip oldefar), who was an important person. In that way we also recreated a tradition on the French side of the family”.

Q: Henrik or Henri?
- “Joachim speaks to him in Danish and I speak to him in French. So to me he is Henri. I often think how fortunate he is. That he will learn two of the most difficult languages at the same time”.

Q: Can you already spot some of his personal character?
- “He is a very easy baby, but with a strong will – like his parents. He is born in the sign of the Taurus, a star sign that in my opinion is good. He could have become a Gemini like his father, grandfather (farfar) and my father. But despite his strong character he is so mild and then he has kind/friendly eyes. I’m certain that he besides that will be full of kindness/good and that to me is a fundamental character in a human being”.

Q: I have a feeling that you don’t call him Henri that often?
- “You are right. For the moment we mostly call him “skat”. (*******)

Q: How is your life in the nearest future?
- “There are several plans. In a short while, a couple of days in Paris, a city I’m endlessly fond of. If possible a couple of weeks in Villars in Switzerland in February. I love skiing and I have a lot of friends down there. Then there is the manor in Møgeltønder. So far I haven’t really had time to genuinely make it my nest. You only discover the soul of a house when you have lived there for a while – you shouldn’t just rush ahead. Like we say in France, you stumble if you walk too fast”.

Q: Do you regret anything?
- “When you start a new life, there is per definition both people and things that you love, that you have to leave behind. I love my life in Denmark and there are still so many things I have to learn.
In relation to what I’ve left behind? There are of course my friends, which I now don’t see so often. Fortunately modern technique helps you maintain contact. My mother has just visited us for some days. So has my father. He was pleased to visit us. Henrik is his first grandchild”.

Q: Do you regret having lost a degree of freedom?
- “I won’t put it that way. The Danes are fortunately not obsessed with the royal family as is the case in England. But that doesn’t mean that photographers sometimes cannot be a bit insisting.
I’d rather consider it a pressure. I will not let the Danes down but I will represent them with honour. That I consider one of my duties. I learn that thanks to Joachim’s big experience”.

Q: Have you discovered something here in Denmark that you are particularly fond of?
- “There are obviously a lot of things. I will however one thing – roast pork. Crispy roast pork. The eight wonder of the world”. (********)

Q: What is your greatest pleasure?
- “Official duties are often funny events. Opera and theatre premiers, new ballets, exhibitions…
We are invited a lot. We are often having dinners with friends. But to be honest we actually don’t have that much spare time. There is one thing I miss – that I no longer have time to go to the cinema”.

Q: Do you often see Crown Prince Frederik and Crown princess Mary?
- “Unfortunately not often enough. I think we swing well together. But their calendars are even more full than ours”.

Q: How do you spend your spare time, when you are here at Schackenborg?
- “The manor is with four floors around 3.000 square meters. So keeping an eye on that takes a good deal of the day, besides taking care of a baby, which a 24/7 job.
There is however still time for a walk in the woods. Another thing I’m very fond of is, despite the weather, to grab a basket with bread, lemons a bottle of white wine and a hat for all sorts of weather and go picking up oysters. They are wild and in all shapes and sizes. We eat them on the spot and they taste fantastic. When that happens I feel like in seventh heaven”.

Q: Previously I noticed that you said we Danes and not the Danes. So specifically: What has happened since you now feel like a full blooded Dane?
- (Thinking) “To this day I ride my bike no matter the weather. Whether it rains, is windy, snow or storms – then I drive around without hesitation. And I enjoy it”. (*********)

Q: Has your new life changed you as a person?
- “No, not at all. It’s not a question about changing but about being open to other emotions and other costumes. I’d like to remain myself, but my heart is open to understanding. That could also be the definition of love”.

Q: What film did you last see in the cinema?
- “It’s probably about three years since I was last in the cinema. Lately there hasn’t been so much time. Due to all the changes in my life”.

Q: Which book was the last you read?
- “Except for a history book about my new country and my Danish-French dictionary I’ve read Les Rois Maudits by Maurice Druon. I loved it”.

Q: What is your favourite colour?
- “There are way too many colours for me to pick one”.

Q: What is the philosophy of your life?
- “To be faithful to yourself and to avoid comparisons”.

Q: What do you regret the most?
- “Nothing – you always learn from your mistakes”.

Q: How will you today define happiness?
- “If I may quote Spinoza: - To be happy is to continue living/being/behaving as we do. I hardly have to emphasize that the important word is: continue”.

(**) I don’t agree that much. There is of course a sort of class system here as well. I believe it’s more based on what you are. People who have or have had an honest job or who study consider themselves in more or less the same category. A business manager will not look down on a cleaner or renovation worker, because that’s honest work.
People who have ended up on social welfare for a long time are frowned upon. I.e. people who are seen to be taking advantage of the social welfare system.
The same goes for some categories of immigrants. Those who are seen to assimilate, getting a job and conforming to society are accepted. Those who cannot or will not or just appear too alien in their behaviour are not.
In short: You earn respect, you don’t get it. And people who have a job and contribute to society get the most respect.

(***) Which, with the exception of the odd ice winter, is usually pretty mild.

(****) Genuine Southern Jutlandic dialect can be difficult to understand, even for Eastern Jutlanders like myself and Mrs. Muhler. I was born in the opposite part of Eastern Jutland, where Mrs. Muhler grew up and even though the distance is less than 100 kilometres, her dialect (when she choose to speak it), is very different from mine.

(*****) They are going to love her in Southern Jutland! That sort of things really means a lot!

(******) It’s no secret that Joachim employ au pairs.

(*******) The most common word of endearment in Danish. Used about adults as well as children and incidentally what I call my daughter.

(********) A perfect answer! One of the absolute most popular Danish dishes.

(*********) Is that how we Danes are perceived? Undaunted bicycle riders?

PART TWO OF THE INTERVIEW.

(**) I don’t agree that much. There is of course a sort of class system here as well. I believe it’s more based on what you are. People who have or have had an honest job or who study consider themselves in more or less the same category. A business manager will not look down on a cleaner or renovation worker, because that’s honest work.
People who have ended up on social welfare for a long time are frowned upon. I.e. people who are seen to be taking advantage of the social welfare system.
The same goes for some categories of immigrants. Those who are seen to assimilate, getting a job and conforming to society are accepted. Those who cannot or will not or just appear too alien in their behaviour are not.
In short: You earn respect, you don’t get it. And people who have a job and contribute to society get the most respect.

But what country isn't like that? She is right about the US, social classes do arise because of money. The rich usually hang with the rich, live with rich, etc. And the poor usually hang with the poor, live where the poor lives, etc. It's not 100% like that, because some people do mingle with the rich and poor. But what country doesn't have this social hierarchy? When she said the Danes weren't like that, I was surprised. Very surprised. But I'm glad you cleared that up Muhler.

Much thanks for the translation:flowers::flowers:.

Thank you - another wonderful translation. The more of these interviews I read the more I am starting to like Marie.

It is not easy to come in as the 2nd wife (particularly when the first was so popular) but she is really starting to settle into her role now and find her confidence.

Well, Se & Hør has done it again.

Prinsesse Marie: Vil ikke tale dansk - Royalt - SE og HØR
(You can put it through a Google, if you really wish to read this and bang your head against the nearest wall).

A Christian Bækholm has written an article about Princess Marie, based on the interview in Femina.

This is a very nasty article and it serves no purpose other than being downright mean.
At best it's a very alternative interpretation of facts.

Normally I will not have anything to do with articles in Se & Hør, because of such articles.

But let's break it down:

Claim: Marie put Danish at the very bottom of the languages she will use.
- Anyone who has heard her, will know that she understands and speak Danish very well. You don't reach that level without having stuidied and practising Danish.

Claim: The interview was conducted in English, despite her being here for two years.
- Marie explained herself that she was far better at expressing herself in a more nuanced way in English. She may also have thought that she should need to be a little careful with what she is saying. S&H, in particular, would love to jump on anything she says.
And I'd like to hear the author of this article give an in-depth interview in a language he has only known for two years.

Claim: Marie says that while she would like to pratise Danish, everybody speaks English. The author finds that odd and claim that this is the case only among the jet-set.
- What Marie is saying is something I've heard both Mary and Alexandra say. Not to mention a number of foreigners living in Denmark as well. We do have a tendency to automatically switch to English when we talk to a foreigner. Also outside the jet-set.

Claim: No help from Joachim as the couple prefer to speak French among themselves. As heard on a restaurant recently.
- They are not allowed to speak French? Joachim is not allowed to practise his French? It's well known that Joachim is a francophile. And perhaps by speaking French they avoided the waiter overhearing what they said?

Claim: While all Danes she has encountered abroad are very friendly, she needs to let her hair down and being herself.
- That is not allowed? You cannot be casual when abroad, in case you happen to bump into a Dane?

Claim: The author corrects Marie in the end by stating that the national sports of Denmark is soccer and not handball.
- Oh dear. Now that's a major mistake! She should be deported at once! Out with her. Roll her in tar and feathers! Burn her, burn her at the stake!
What kind of immature bull is that? The female national handball team has done very well indeed over the past many years. In contrast to the national soccer team, who has only done well. The coverage of the handball team has been massive, rivalling the soccer team. (Eventhough I personally don't watch handball, finding it only marginally more interesting than counting needles on a cactus). I'd say she's got a point.

So the author of this article, Christian Bækholm, has only managed to blow big holes in his credibility with this nonsense.

Thank you Muhler, i like the way you talk about Marie, i hope you're not the only one in Denmark.
The S & H journalists are not the only ones who criticize her as soon as they can. Since the beginning where she talked (clumsily) to journalists who followed her, many people hate her.
She is always compared to Mary or Alexandra in a negative way.

Thank you Muhler, i like the way you talk about Marie, i hope you're not the only one in Denmark.
The S & H journalists are not the only ones who criticize her as soon as they can. Since the beginning where she talked (clumsily) to journalists who followed her, many people hate her.
She is always compared to Mary or Alexandra in a negative way.

I don't think that anyone hates Marie; she comes across as a very sweet person.
She does not have the same high profile which Mary has due to her being a CPss or which Alexandra had - because she was the first young princess for decades.
I do think that people generally sees Marie as a very sweet and approachable person - and I believe that she is well liked for being a great stepmom as well.

I don't think that anyone hates Marie; she comes across as a very sweet person.
She does not have the same high profile which Mary has due to her being a CPss or which Alexandra had - because she was the first young princess for decades.
I do think that people generally sees Marie as a very sweet and approachable person - and I believe that she is well liked for being a great stepmom as well.

I appreciate your comment, but i often felt that many people don't like her here anyway

We all have our opinions and you certainly entitled to yours but based on what I have read...Compared to other girlfriends and 2nd wives, Marie is treated very well here.

I think the problem is that a lot of people dont' feel that they know much about her. And as previously stated, Mary is very popular and hardworking as was Alexandra before her divorce.

I appreciate your comment, but i often felt that many people don't like her here anyway

In Denmark?

She's not unpopular, not at all, if that's what you mean.
Pretty and sweet are probably the keywords, when most people think about her.
And she's now entered the stage where people are interested in genuinely getting to know her

She's still the new girl and she goofed a little in regards to the press initially, but she has clearly learned her lesson.
She is of course still finding her own position as a Princess and wife/mother and she has some pretty formidable women to be compared against, i.e. Alexandra, who did really well as a princess and now Mary.

But then she can take things easier and be more relaxed and informal than both Mary can and Alexandra could. (Because she had all the attention focused on her).

Yay you made my day again Muhler. Thank you! I've been away for awhile because of french holidays, and what a pleasure to be back and to have something like this to read. :flowers:
Anyway for Isabelle's concern, I also think that Princess Marie is not that hated ;) in Denmark. It's just that people don't know that much about her, at least for the two first years of her marriage to Joachim. Because now I have the feeling that they are even more than open to the press than the crown prince couple, aren't they?
I think that it was not easy for Marie to walk in Alexandra's shoes, no matter what, as a second wife to Joachim, comparisons are inevitable. Even the Crownprincess had to bear with that. But she found her way. And Marie will.
I think that Marie could have done some things differently. For example: learning danish as soon as she knew that she would marry Joachim. I am not criticising, but I think that if you want to win over the Danes and to be accepted as their own, you should really try to speak danish. I am wrong Muhler? Alexandra did master the language on her engagement day. Mary didn't but the first words out of her mouth were in danish, and people must have appreciated her efforts.
But now I think everything is fine Princess Marie, she sounds so sweet.

Yay you made my day again Muhler. Thank you! Because now I have the feeling that they are even more than open to the press than the crown prince couple, aren't they?

but I think that if you want to win over the Danes and to be accepted as their own, you should really try to speak danish. I am wrong Muhler?

You are welcome, Katelle. :)

And I think you are absolutely right. The key to understand the Danes and Danish mentality is to realise that we are basically a tribe or a large village. Certainly outside the two or three largest cities.
It's important to be accepted by the tribe and to do that you will have to conform even more, than you would in say Paris and also to learn the language and not to be too different from the other tribal members.
That's not always easy! But once you are considered a member of the tribe, you get "protection" to some extent. The tribe will keep quiet is say La Marie should be staggering home to Schackenborg, deaddrunk. I'm exaggerating of course, but you get my meaning, right? :p

Mary has been accepted as a member of the tribe and so was Alexandra.
But some are never accepted. Prince Henrik has never really been accepted as "one of us", despite his work and all that. And one of the reasons is very much his poor mastery of spoken Danish.
He clearly understands Danish extremely well but when he speaks Danish, it's toecurlingly bad. - And that's a major irritant among many Danes.

I believe it's wise that Frederik and Mary maintain some distance to the press. Maintain some aloofness or mystique, because of their position.

Joachim and Marie in particular, have different roles, they can alow themselves to be more open. They've got more freedom, more room to goof, if you will.

I think that they are allowed to be more open than the CP. They live different lives, and have different roles.
I understand that Marie is still "easing" into her royal, the language is an issue for me, I think she should have learnt it before marriage. They had dated for sometime.
For me inparticular, I quite often compare Marie and Mary and I don't see it as a bad think, because they are both danish princess' and yes they have different roles but the job description is similar.
And on matters of fashion, Mary always wins.

Here are some more pics of the interview Marie has given:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 **

Please let me know in case I've overseen that one of the
links already included them, I can only remember one of the pics..

Marie is .... adorable! I can't think of any other single word to describe her :flowers: Thank you for the pictures Iceflower.

The pictures are lovely. Marie looks quite happy & very confident in them. I like how she is not overdone/overdressed in the pictures.

Do we know what was asked or what they talked about? Did they focus on a specific topic?

CP Mary will always be my favourite, but Marie will always be a close second. I think she is charming and these photos are lovely.

CP Mary will always be my favourite, but Marie will always be a close second. I think she is charming and these photos are lovely.

Couldn't agree more.
These are exactly my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom