General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 17: January 2018 - June 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Lovely photo from Mary! It'd be great to see some more of Mary's photography, I hope Kongehuset post some other nature photos she's taken on Instagram too.

Sunday trip for the Crown Prince Couple:

“Sunday picture from the Crown Prince and my trip to the Kastellet. New swans on the lake. ”

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwy2oK_AhGH/

Picture by CP Mary

Hope Frederik and Mary had a lovely trip to Kastellet. Twosomeness is important with four young children ?

Beautiful picture by Mary.
Being able to see the big things in small things is a life art.

Always a joy to see Mary's little everyday moments. Among other things it is these small glimpses of their everyday life that make us feel we know the Crown Prince Couple.

It's a beautiful pic. Nice run/walk out for the two and enjoying nature

Thanks, Polyesco. :flowers:

In the article Mary informs us that 78 % or all clothes manufactured today ends up on the garbage dump.
Less than 15 % is recycled and of that less than 1 % become new clothes.

- So manufacturing clothes is a terrible waste.

In that context there is this quote from Mary:
"I freely admit that my consumption of clothes is big, which is connected to the life, the role and the work I have. But I can do better - and that I work on."

Crown Princess Mary as Patron of the Global Fashion Agenda will attend the Copenhagen Fashion Summit on May 15 & 16, on thos occasion she has given an interview to the magazine IN that is published today.

"Together with the generations to inherit the earth after us, we must decide how to create a sustainable future for the planet and the people living on it"

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** instagram gallery **

Last edited:
Thank you Polyesco. :flowers:
A very informative interview by the Crown Princess.
She has given it as patron for the Copenhagen fashion Summit which will be held in two weeks.

- The green dress is Crown Princess Mary's 16 years old engagement dress.
- The black suit she wears is a Christmas gift from Frederik. He gave it to her last Christmas Eve.

Here is a very little resume of the 17 pages long informative and facts full interview:

(Translated with Google Translate, sorry)

HRH The Crown Princess has numbers and speech papers ready in a white paper cover, but not once does she open the folder during the interview to check the facts. They 'sit on her backbone', and if engagement was a martial arts Crown Princess Mary would have the black belt in infecting her surroundings with lively gestures, genuine smiles, energy in the voice and life in the eyes.

HRH Crown Princess Mary is wearing a 16-year-old green dress, which most people may remember from the engagement with the Crown Prince in 2003.

Part of Crown Princess Mary's wardrobe, for example her wedding dress and the green engagement dress she wears on the pictures in the interview, has such great historical significance for Denmark that they must be included in the royal collection for posterity.

- I save clothes that I think my daughters will inherit. Other clothing goes on to others who can benefit from it, and to organizations that mediate recycling. The same thing I do with my children's clothes.
I admit that my consumption of clothes is big, which is related to the life, role and work I have. But I can do better - and I work on that. Of course I recycle my clothes privately, but just as much for official events. I buy vintage clothes. I get my clothes stitched and there are many variations. Some dresses have gone from long to short and from having long sleeves to being without sleeves. Long dresses have become a skirt, and I mix and match, so I use my clothes in new ways, she explains.

The Crown Princess is often seen in dresses that are more than a decade old, and she believes that more women proudly will say that the clothes they wear are 10 years old, rather than expecting ourselves, and perhaps each other, that we meet up in a new dress for each festive occasion.
- It will happen automatically, I think. Because when you have a dress that you are happy for, you are just as happy to have it on next time and next time again.

Finding out what is right and wrong when it comes to leaving so few harmful impressions on the climate as possible is a jungle that we all and also Crown Princess Mary can get lost in. Not least when the children come home school with new information. In many ways, it is her teachers. For example, it was Prince Christian who told her about the thousands of liters of water used to make a t-shirt. When the Crown Princess goes for a walk on the beach, Prince Vincent comes with the whole embrace full of garbage that he has collected, she says.

- They're doing it without me saying anything. So I became so touched and thinks "for heck, it's well done", and how lovely it is that he is aware of it. I am very happy to notice our children how interested they are in the global environment and how they can help. And in the family we are good at helping each other remember to turn off the light, close the refrigerator, turn off the water. One of my 'kæpheste' (Kæphest = a danish term denotes something you love to deal with, or is very concerned about) is to remove jeans from the wash baskets and ask the children if they really need to be washed so quickly again, and then they get an explanation why I ask. To save on water, reduce the emission of microplastic, and so the clothes last longer, says Crown Princess Mary

Recently, H.K.H. Crown Princess Mary have been in the process of phasing out plastic bottles from the Crown Prince Couple's household, which in a large as well as small household requires a new consciousness and new habits. One day, the Crown Princess read that one should not use milk cartons with small screw caps because they are more harmful to the environment than others. So she announced that there should be alternatives now, but she didn't get far.

- My son Christian came home and said "mom, the new one you bought ..." - which I thought was a good alternative - "also has a plastic surface". What! Then I went online and tried to find out which cardboard was the right one to use. It was not easy to get an overview or find an answer. It is also a problem that clothing consumers face. There are so many conflicting information that make it difficult for consumers and clothing manufacturers to take a stand and make choices about where to make the most sense.

It may be part of the reason why, the Crown Princess guesses, that 50% of medium and small clothing companies have not started with sustainable measures or will not tell what they are doing because there is a risk that they will be criticized - whatever they do.

- Maybe it's not good enough, maybe it does not go far enough - what we as consumers and companies are doing. But it is part of the learning process behind any new development. There must be room to make mistakes, we learn, become wiser and get on. And it will always be "a work in progress" because there is no final goal line that individuals or companies can run over and say to ourselves that we have done enough.

Last edited:
Thanks, Roskilde, Iceflower & Polyesco. :flowers:

As with most things in this life, this is very much about money.

It is as you know high fashion these days to care about the environment and while some of the initiatives can seem comical (and in a number of cases IMO indeed are comical!) it's better to do something, however little, than nothing.
And it is here Mary comes in, she is riding along with/encouraging the current trend of sustainability and recycling - in this context in relation to the fashion industry.
And this is where money and jobs come in.
The fashion industry were previously and with very good reason vilified for the horrible conditions workers in not least developing countries slaved under. Public pressure has more or less changed that to some extent. And any fashion house with a hope of maintaining a solid share in the market has tried to improve on that front.
And now it's how polluting the fashion industry is and how many resources it uses. (As indeed it always has.)
And here the fashion industry really wish to improve their image!
To be among the first major fashion brands who can say and prove: We pollute a lot less then everybody else. We recycle a lot more than everybody else. Our products and methods are much less ecological damaging than everybody else. And so on... - Means lots of money! We are talking trainloads of money here!
And Danish fashion, which is among our major export sectors, wish to be in the front. Certainly when it's about the products themselves and but just as much in regards to know how.
Those fashion houses who don't jump on the ecological train now, will be left hopelessly behind tomorrow.

And that''s why Mary appears in trend magazines like In, still being fashionable (of course that's the product they wish to sell) with a nice and cozy message about sustainability and recycling and personal awareness and doing something on a personal level - while still being stylish...
She is helping the Danish fashion industry in rebranding themselves and improve their image, while at the same time promoting the message of "do something personal for the environment" something she as a sensible, intelligent person believe in herself. - While helping the export...

Mary is also cleverly rebranding herself.
One of the favorite points of criticism against Mary is how much money she must be spending on her wardrobe. A somewhat mistaken criticism I think, because as a Dane I expect one of the most prominent representatives of my country to be presentable at all times when on the job. And the money spend on her wardrobe has been paid back many times over. There is no question about that.
She is also rebranding herself as working on being much more conscious of the environment in regards to what she is wearing. That doesn't mean we will see her in cheaper or less flattering outfits - on the contrary IMO!
We will see Mary recycle and modify her clothes much more and we will see her use much more ecological-sound materials, as well as more environmentally friendly products - something certainly the Danish fashion houses will be more than happy to help her with.

- There is a purpose behind what she is doing. Just as it's no coincidence that Frederik is focusing so much about entrepreneurship these days. But that's another story.

Last edited:
Many thanks Roskilde and Muhler for your time and effort. Interesting article. I have been aware of recycling items for some time now as my dear mother started to recycle long before it was fashionable.

Very thoughtful post Muhler. I agree. Would love to her your thoughts on Frederik and entrepreneurship, he indeed has focused alot on this area.

and thank you Roskilde for the translation

You are welcome Tarlita & Polyesco. ?

This may be a little dry, so some of you may fall asleep...?

Well, Frederik's attention/involvement with entrepreneurship and innovation is very much in line with especially the current government's policy. So in a sense you can say Frederik acts more on behalf of the government than Mary does.
While the fashion industry is a major export area (actually competing with our export of pork (and that's serious money!) I do not have the impression that it's an area that has the particular attention of the government.

Innovation and helping people creating small businesses based on ideas is however very high on the list for the government. That's after all one of the specialties of Danish commerce: Finding a small niche (often very small) somewhere and exploit and develop it.
After the principle: Many little brooks a big river maketh.

Joachim is also very much involved in the technical and practical development of ideas and concepts. And even though that's more a continuation of what Frederik is involved in, I think Joachim's involvement stems just as much from a genuine passion from him in science and technology. (And BTW our Marie is a self-confessed gadget-freak.)

From concept, idea and budding entrepreneurs Frederik takes the step to directly promoting finished Danish products and concepts much more directly than what the DRF did only ten years ago, when he is abroad.
QMII mentioned that after the latest state visit to Argentina. I.e. that the role of the DRF now is very much in directly helping Danish export and commerce. She also mentioned that it wasn't her field of expertise - but it's something Frederik over the past certainly 10-15 has been very groomed and cultivated in doing. And we see it each and every time a member of the DRF is abroad in some official capacity.
No matter what they do, they will also help Danish companies locally. They have done that for many years, but now it's much more openly.

Those of you who have stayed awake thus far, will know what I mean. ;)

Last edited:
https://politiken.dk/indland/art7175790/Kronprinsparret-deltog-i-begravelse-af-danske-Sri-Lanka-ofre

Yes, and the PM, Lars Løkke, as well as two other ministers were also present.

The funeral service started around 14.00 and ended an hour later. The CP family arrived as the last shortly before 14.00.
At 14.45 the doors to the cathedral were opened and caskets with the three children were carried out to the hearses. The caskets were decorated with flowers, photos of the children and balloons. The congregation gathers outside the cathedral and the surviving daughter cut the strings to the balloons which went up in the air.
Then the hearses drown away to Ormslev Church at the outskirt of Aarhus where the children were buried.

Incredibly sad seeing those 3 coffins. Cannot imagine the pain their family is experiencing.

What a nightmare for a family. May the surviving part of the family have the strength to cope with this terrible loss. And may the dead children rest in peace.

I cannot imagine the deep distress felt by the family and friends. May they be in Our Lord’s arms and May they now watch over their family.

:previous:

Indeed. But it's the surviving daughter, aged ten, who has most of my sympathy.
How do you cope with having all your siblings taken from you at that age? The feeling of guilt, of loneliness, the rage and all the other feelings. And with your parents grieving who do you feel you can go to with your own grief?
And it wasn't even an accident. Accidents happen. You can process an accident, but this?

The three children laid to rest were 5, 12 and 15 years old.

May I never be able to truly comprehend how the parents feel.

ADDED: I have a request: Please do not post photos of Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine in the Teenage fashion thread.
I personally do not like to see photos of grieving children and I feel it is poor taste to post photos of M&F's children in such a thread. These were children, M&F's children knew and played with.

Last edited:
Muhler, you are so right.

One day your whole life is simply perfect, maybe you had some struggles with your siblings but on the other day you loose them all. Your best friends have left you. Who in your age is now with you to talk about your problems, your joy, your life.

It is also cruel that the press is here when you have to do the worst way in your life. Why is it not possible to mourn in peace? Why does the press report about the funeral? Why does the press show the grieving children (not only the remaining sibling, but also friends of the dead children)? This is totally tasteless and impious.

Well, at least the Danish press seems to have agreed on not showing close-ups of children. And the only closer shot of M&F and their children was from behind so that we can't see their faces.
https://www.aoh.dk/artikel/20190504...i-begravelse-af-danske-sri-lanka-ofre?tdmv=C4

The names of the children were Alfred, Alma and Agnes. The surviving child is named Astrid.

The cathedral was full, some 1.000 present. In addition to that some 2.000 had gathered outside the cathedral to show their respect.

Last edited:
It is also cruel that the press is here when you have to do the worst way in your life. Why is it not possible to mourn in peace? Why does the press report about the funeral?

From one of the articles:

"But since they knew there was tremendous public interest, the press has been allowed to be present under special conditions because the Holch Povlsen family also knows that a terrorist attack is of national interest."

And that is only outside the cathedral.

The photos of the children seem so intrusive, they are all clearly upset. I wish I hadn’t clicked the article.

My apologies.

Had I known Daily Mail would add these photos of M&F's children, I would never have posted the link.

As such I have deleted my post. If you wish to see the DM article, you will have to go to Daily Mail's webpage and look there.

So dreadful and very upsetting. I guess the whole family will need some counselling especially the surviving child. Moving on from here will be so very difficult for the family. I tear up just looking at the procession.

Although the press was allowed to cover the funeral those pics of the children made me think of the very intrusive pictures taken of Crown Princess Mary during the funeral of Tine Jørgensen a few years ago. While, I guess, it's not illegal for the press to take photos it's very disrespectful.

My heart broke seeing the coffins and the rest of the family standing in front. How does one simply go on after such an incomprehensibly devastating tragedy?!
My hearts go out to them. I pray our Heavenly father- comforts them through this incredibly grievous time.

I have a friend she passed together with her brother in Finland when the police chase a drunk driver and he went upcoming , killing both, 21 and 22 years old,their mother lost both of them at the same time and she did not have other kids, and after 17 years I have such a difficult time to get over this. So I can not even imagine the pain that this family is going through the same for the little girl that has to go on. It is heart braking to see the photo of the daily mail, And see Mary's kids crying is so touching! May this family and all their friends find some strength in this difficult time. I hope God bless them with more children, it will never replace anyone but would bring them some joy.

Although the press was allowed to cover the funeral those pics of the children made me think of the very intrusive pictures taken of Crown Princess Mary during the funeral of Tine Jørgensen a few years ago. While, I guess, it's not illegal for the press to take photos it's very disrespectful.
Sometimes I believe it would be a good idea for royal women to wear a short veil at the funerals of loved family members.

The photo of the QM, the Queen and princess Margaret at the railway station all wearing veils is an unforgettable image where the QM was arranging things and Elizabeth and Margaret seemed almost in shock.

The press was nowhere near as intrusive as it is now and everyone has a camera phone to boot. Photos of loved Royals are shown on all their haggard, tear-stained grief and will be shown around the world front page. Ugh.

I too wish I hadn't clicked on the photos... they were heartbreaking to see and it would've been best if the press hadn't been there considering that this was a private funeral, and not a "normal" one at that since the deceased were very young and died due to a terrorist attack. Just a general notification that the family were there would've been better, as some newspaper outlets did, IMO.
My sincere condolences to the family and the DRF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom