General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 16: August 2016 - December 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is about 2017 Verbier photo?

Congratulations on your first post? :flowers:

Do you mean: Are we going to see Photos of M&F in Verbier this year? (Next week actually, that's the school winter holiday). - That remains to be seen. :)

Ah .... the school holidays. Yes, the first post and my bad English :)

Summary of note in Billed Bladet #06, 2017.
Written by Henrik Salling.

Mary was at home at Amalienborg on her birthday.
Early Sunday afternoon QMII was observed arriving at M&F's mansion. She left a couple of hours later.

John Donaldson was in the navy at the time and from time to time he and the family would live in this house when in Sydney.
John Donaldson was in the navy at some point? Never heard of it before.

Tonight at primetime (8pm) on DR1 contributes Crown Prince Frederik and Queen Margrethe in a new TV documentary about one of Denmark's great heroes, the polar explorer Knud Rasmussen.

Crown Prince Frederik is very familiar with the problems that Knud Rasmussen had along the way on his expeditions. The Crown Prince has participated in the Sirius Patrol in Greenland himself.

Maybe you can watch the programme here later:
https://www.dr.dk/tv/live/dr1?app_mode=true

ADDED:

Here you can enjoy a clip from the tv-programme from Crown Prince Frederik's participating in the 4 months Sirius Patrol in Greenland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KANJpRy2RRg

You can really see the real Frederik. He was totally part of the group and totally himself, just Frederik. In the clip here it is Frederik's 32th birthday. Frederik has not told anything and the group does first find it out when the radio transmitter Crown Prince Frederik a birthday greeting. The group teases Frederik that he will soon be 40 years and that he looks a little half thick already. There was NO discrimination treatment, no title, and Frederik LOVED it. They lived of cheap canned food for 4 months and lived and slept in tents. And they all participated in the hard Sirius Patrol equally.

Last edited:
I recently posted this in the ''Royal Library'' sub-forum, but I'm not sure that anyone actually saw it, so I'll try re-posting it here. Note to moderators: if this is the wrong thread, move it to wherever you feel it's appropriate.

The ''Mary'' movie is back on YouTube and available for free viewing. Before, you had to go to a special subscription service to get it. The quality is not the best, faces are often cut out, and some of the dialogue is so fast you really have to strain to catch it. You may lose a few brain cells, but what the heck - it's a fun way to spend some time. Just type ''Mary the Making of a Princess 2015 - full movie'' into the search bar. Enjoy! :flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #11, 2017.
Written by the Ulrik Ulriksen.

The very close friend of the DRF, the actress Ellen Hillingsøe, turned 50 on the 9th March. The next day she was celebrated by a little more than 100 guests.
Among the guests were Mary. Frederik could not attend as he was in South Korea for the IOC.
The party took place in Hellerup, a posh suburb north of Copenhagen.

There was dancing.
Apart from that, there are no further details, so I guess BB had no reporter outside.

:eek:

Uh oh...say it ain't so. :cool: :p

Let me guess. You are referring to William's "dad-dancing" that Daily Mail is so eager to write about these days? ;)
Alas, I haven't read past the headlines of this, no doubt, momentous scandal. :lol:

Nice pictures of the two of the future Kings, thank you for sharing. It's nice to see them at such events as it's rare, we see them more at official events. They seem to enjoy the sport.
I also noticed their numbers were one number apart, thought that was nice.

And an article from Jyllands Posten, Kongelig langrendsdyst: Den danske kronprins duellerede mod den norske - Indland

Basically telling us that Frederik came in on a glorious second place. - Of the two CP's. :denmarkstandard:
After all Haakon was on home turf, and it would be un-sportsman like for Frederik to trash Haakon, right? :p

Thank you Muhler for your defence of the Danish crown prince's second place: I imagine this has to do with the Scandinavian humour we were talking about last week (rivalry between nations etc.) but I could not help noticing that the Norwegian prince's legs are somewhat longer than his Danish counterpart so wonder if height has anything to do with ski success? BTW, does the race name mean 'legs of birch'? BTWx2: did you follow the Dutch election and the consequent DR2 newsbroadcast in Dutch? :flowers: I think we are in for some Dutch Danish rivalry in the times to come!:bang:

Thank you Muhler for your defence of the Danish crown prince's second place: I imagine this has to do with the Scandinavian humour we were talking about last week (rivalry between nations etc.) but I could not help noticing that the Norwegian prince's legs are somewhat longer than his Danish counterpart so wonder if height has anything to do with ski success?

Longer legs....;)
I would think that the opportunities for a Dane to ski and practice on snow compared to a Norwegian has slightly more to do with the end result...:p

Thank you Muhler for your defence of the Danish crown prince's second place: I imagine this has to do with the Scandinavian humour we were talking about last week (rivalry between nations etc.) but I could not help noticing that the Norwegian prince's legs are somewhat longer than his Danish counterpart so wonder if height has anything to do with ski success? BTW, does the race name mean 'legs of birch'? BTWx2: did you follow the Dutch election and the consequent DR2 newsbroadcast in Dutch? :flowers: I think we are in for some Dutch Danish rivalry in the times to come!:bang:

I fear Nordic is pretty close to the real explanation. ;)

Norwegians have a natural advantage when it comes to skiing. It's the equivalent to cycling in DK - i.e. something everyone do as a matter of course.
But once the Norwegians venture down from their mountains and descend in droves on the West coast of Jutland, the endless sky overwhelm them! :eek:
So you will often see German tourists and locals sidestepping Norwegians who are covering in a fetus position. - That's just part of the scenery and they snap out of it when it gets dark. :D

And yes, I did follow the Dutch general election with interest. The nationalists everywhere are on the move. - And in two or three years in Canada as well.

Thank you for the pictures of the two princes, Roskilde. Especially liked the one with Haakon's disheveled hair - it's usually the other way around, Frederik's hair is a mess and Haakon is impeccably groomed. :lol:

I fear Nordic is pretty close to the real explanation. ;)

Norwegians have a natural advantage when it comes to skiing. It's the equivalent to cycling in DK - i.e. something everyone do as a matter of course.
But once the Norwegians venture down from their mountains and descend in droves on the West coast of Jutland, the endless sky overwhelm them! :eek:
So you will often see German tourists and locals sidestepping Norwegians who are covering in a fetus position. - That's just part of the scenery and they snap out of it when it gets dark. :D

And yes, I did follow the Dutch general election with interest. The nationalists everywhere are on the move. - And in two or three years in Canada as well.
Of course this is the answer, Norwegians are the European kings and queens of snow....! I asked about the Dutch elections because I was curious why DR would decide to broadcast a news clip in Dutch and because I was entertained by the Dutch response, both of which you can view below:lol: my first language is Dutch so that I was entertained by the Danish version, which sounds very German to me, unsurprisingly of course! I was however anxious to know about the Dutch newsreader's Danish, so send out this challenge to the Danish speaking members of TRF:flowers:How is the Dutch version of Danish you hear in this clip?
http://nos.nl/artikel/2163490-deens-nieuws-in-het-nederlands-jullie-taal-klinkt-zo-leuk.html

Of course this is the answer, Norwegians are the European kings and queens of snow....! I asked about the Dutch elections because I was curious why DR would decide to broadcast a news clip in Dutch and because I was entertained by the Dutch response, both of which you can view below:lol: my first language is Dutch so that I was entertained by the Danish version, which sounds very German to me, unsurprisingly of course! I was however anxious to know about the Dutch newsreader's Danish, so send out this challenge to the Danish speaking members of TRF:flowers:How is the Dutch version of Danish you hear in this clip?
Deens nieuws in het Nederlands: jullie taal klinkt zo leuk | NOS

Well, I tried my best to ignore the subtitles and as such only understood one word in ten - at best.
Without the subtitles to lead me in the general direction I would have had no idea whatsoever what she was talking about. :ermm:

I have a feeling it was about the same with the DK host...

Quite a few Dutch have settled in DK, particularly as farmers. There is much more land available in DK than in the Netherlands.

Apart from that we Danes have a lot to thank the Dutch for historically speaking. It was a Dutch relief force that came to the aid of Copenhagen in 1659, when DK was basically reduced to Copenhagen and under siege by the Swedes. The Swedish king having promised his men three days of free plunder when Copenhagen fell. - And free killing of Danes! After which he would have presented the other European powers with a fait accompli. I.e Sweden being in total control of the Baltic Sea.
That however was not in anyone's interest, so the Swedes had to vacate most of Denmark. But the provinces and ancient Danish lands of Halland, Blekinge and Skåne were to be seeded to Sweden.
Before that Dutch settlers had been encouraged to settle on the island of Amager, just east of Copenhagen. Bringing with them much needed know how in regards to craftsmanship and farming, including the iconic mills that are now considered typical Danish.
Dybbøl Mølle for example being a national symbol. http://newsbreak.dk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Dybb%C3%B8l_M%C3%B8lle_02_foto_Elo_Christoffersen.jpg
Quite a few prominent descendants of Dutch settlers now officers, fought and died in a battle around that mill in 1864. - 200 years later.

But back to your question or challenge. I can read and understand the gist of a Dutch text, because it's close to German, but I can only understand very little spoken Dutch.
I firmly believe that if you can learn to pronounce Danish and Dutch correctly, all other languages on the globe is a piece of cake. :p

Last edited:
Fantastic event. Great to see the two crown princes together. It always looks like they have a great friendship
I recently saw a movie about the escape to safety of the Norwegian baby royal, the event of which this race is based on.

Article
Kronprins Haakon slår endnu engang kronprins Frederik i skiløb | BILLED-BLADET

video interview of Frederik after the race
https://youtu.be/c7JC4KN_Vf8

and a few more pictures
http://www.birkebeiner.no/Global/Bi...val/Birkebeinerrennet/2017-03-18 09.39.59.jpg
http://www.birkebeiner.no/Global/Bi...rins Frederik - Terje Lund Olsen 760x570.jpeg
https://scontent.fmex2-1.fna.fbcdn....=50990ce3fbd394fc930191b9c48eb35f&oe=5925D14B
https://scontent.fmex2-1.fna.fbcdn....=3aec7039ee9cb6cf930c076a7fa027bf&oe=596C1314

Those are great photos, thank you to all those who shared them along with the articles. I always like seeing "mixed royals" together; and have admired how close Frederik and Haakon are. I remember reading about Haakon referring to Frederik as "the brother he never had", or something along those lines.

Well, I tried my best to ignore the subtitles and as such only understood one word in ten - at best.
Without the subtitles to lead me in the general direction I would have had no idea whatsoever what she was talking about. :ermm:

I have a feeling it was about the same with the DK host...

Quite a few Dutch have settled in DK, particularly as farmers. There is much more land available in DK than in the Netherlands.

Apart from that we Danes have a lot to thank the Dutch for historically speaking. It was a Dutch relief force that came to the aid of Copenhagen in 1659, when DK was basically reduced to Copenhagen and under siege by the Swedes. The Swedish king having promised his men three days of free plunder when Copenhagen fell. - And free killing of Danes! After which he would have presented the other European powers with a fait accompli. I.e Sweden being in total control of the Baltic Sea.
That however was not in anyone's interest, so the Swedes had to vacate most of Denmark. But the provinces and ancient Danish lands of Halland, Blekinge and Skåne were to be seeded to Sweden.
Before that Dutch settlers had been encouraged to settle on the island of Amager, just east of Copenhagen. Bringing with them much needed know how in regards to craftsmanship and farming, including the iconic mills that are now considered typical Danish.
Dybbøl Mølle for example being a national symbol. http://newsbreak.dk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Dybb%C3%B8l_M%C3%B8lle_02_foto_Elo_Christoffersen.jpg
Quite a few prominent descendants of Dutch settlers now officers, fought and died in a battle around that mill in 1864. - 200 years later.

But back to your question or challenge. I can read and understand the gist of a Dutch text, because it's close to German, but I can only understand very little spoken Dutch.
I firmly believe that if you can learn to pronounce Danish and Dutch correctly, all other languages on the globe is a piece of cake. :p

Mange tak for your overview of Dutch contributions to Danish culture. I also found it difficult to understand the Dutch of your Danish broadcasters and impossible to understand the Danish of the Dutch broadcaster so, at the risk of aggravating the mods, I will conclude by agreeing with you that our languages are mutually incomprehensible which is probably why English was used as lingua franca during the Dutch state visit to Denmark. I could not possibly comment on pieces of cake and Dutch/danish fluency but can say that many people (not Danes or Dutch, obviously!) confuse our two national identities!:flowers:I can read Danish but doubt if I will ever be able to understand its spoken versions:bang::bang:

:previous:

It is so nice that Mary posts and shares her lovely private pictures with us all - both pictures of Ziggy, her husband, children and her thoughts about life. A modern living Crown Princess.

The photo was taken yesterday (where we had a very nice Spring day in Denmark) in the middle of Copenhagen and show that Mary (and Frederik) with Ziggy and children openly move freely around the streets of Copenhagen.

Great photo of Ziggy among storm lillies we call them here. I am not sure of their proper name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom