The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 03-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 14,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post


Uh oh...say it ain't so.
Let me guess. You are referring to William's "dad-dancing" that Daily Mail is so eager to write about these days?
Alas, I haven't read past the headlines of this, no doubt, momentous scandal.
__________________

  #162  
Old 03-17-2017, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 4,974
Who me?
__________________

  #163  
Old 03-18-2017, 01:39 PM
Roskilde's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Roskilde, Denmark
Posts: 4,352
Here comes the nicest pictures of Denmark's and Normay's future Kings

Today Frederik is in Norway, and he and Haakon skiing the 54 km 'Birkebeinerennet'.

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...bf&oe=596791F0
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7NTu76XwAEITd5.jpg

8.30 this morning before the race began:
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...9a&oe=59592E91

Love this picture - look at Haakon's hair
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRx3PvGjdKu/

More pictures:
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...55&oe=597026DA
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...28&oe=5967BB40
  #164  
Old 03-18-2017, 01:46 PM
dazzling's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 22,976
Nice pictures of the two of the future Kings, thank you for sharing. It's nice to see them at such events as it's rare, we see them more at official events. They seem to enjoy the sport.
I also noticed their numbers were one number apart, thought that was nice.
__________________
  #165  
Old 03-18-2017, 02:12 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 14,089
And an article from Jyllands Posten, Kongelig langrendsdyst: Den danske kronprins duellerede mod den norske - Indland

Basically telling us that Frederik came in on a glorious second place. - Of the two CP's.
After all Haakon was on home turf, and it would be un-sportsman like for Frederik to trash Haakon, right?
  #166  
Old 03-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
And an article from Jyllands Posten, Kongelig langrendsdyst: Den danske kronprins duellerede mod den norske - Indland

Basically telling us that Frederik came in on a glorious second place. - Of the two CP's.
After all Haakon was on home turf, and it would be un-sportsman like for Frederik to trash Haakon, right?
Thank you Muhler for your defence of the Danish crown prince's second place: I imagine this has to do with the Scandinavian humour we were talking about last week (rivalry between nations etc.) but I could not help noticing that the Norwegian prince's legs are somewhat longer than his Danish counterpart so wonder if height has anything to do with ski success? BTW, does the race name mean 'legs of birch'? BTWx2: did you follow the Dutch election and the consequent DR2 newsbroadcast in Dutch? I think we are in for some Dutch Danish rivalry in the times to come!
  #167  
Old 03-18-2017, 03:24 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: xxx, Finland
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
Thank you Muhler for your defence of the Danish crown prince's second place: I imagine this has to do with the Scandinavian humour we were talking about last week (rivalry between nations etc.) but I could not help noticing that the Norwegian prince's legs are somewhat longer than his Danish counterpart so wonder if height has anything to do with ski success?
Longer legs....
I would think that the opportunities for a Dane to ski and practice on snow compared to a Norwegian has slightly more to do with the end result...
  #168  
Old 03-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 14,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
Thank you Muhler for your defence of the Danish crown prince's second place: I imagine this has to do with the Scandinavian humour we were talking about last week (rivalry between nations etc.) but I could not help noticing that the Norwegian prince's legs are somewhat longer than his Danish counterpart so wonder if height has anything to do with ski success? BTW, does the race name mean 'legs of birch'? BTWx2: did you follow the Dutch election and the consequent DR2 newsbroadcast in Dutch? I think we are in for some Dutch Danish rivalry in the times to come!
I fear Nordic is pretty close to the real explanation.

Norwegians have a natural advantage when it comes to skiing. It's the equivalent to cycling in DK - i.e. something everyone do as a matter of course.
But once the Norwegians venture down from their mountains and descend in droves on the West coast of Jutland, the endless sky overwhelm them!
So you will often see German tourists and locals sidestepping Norwegians who are covering in a fetus position. - That's just part of the scenery and they snap out of it when it gets dark.

And yes, I did follow the Dutch general election with interest. The nationalists everywhere are on the move. - And in two or three years in Canada as well.
  #169  
Old 03-18-2017, 04:12 PM
royal_sophietje's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: On the border..., Belgium
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
John Donaldson was in the navy at some point? Never heard of it before.
Neither did I, is it really true? All I knew/know is that he was a Professor.
  #170  
Old 03-18-2017, 08:08 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Small Town, United States
Posts: 400
Thank you for the pictures of the two princes, Roskilde. Especially liked the one with Haakon's disheveled hair - it's usually the other way around, Frederik's hair is a mess and Haakon is impeccably groomed.
  #171  
Old 03-18-2017, 08:17 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I fear Nordic is pretty close to the real explanation.

Norwegians have a natural advantage when it comes to skiing. It's the equivalent to cycling in DK - i.e. something everyone do as a matter of course.
But once the Norwegians venture down from their mountains and descend in droves on the West coast of Jutland, the endless sky overwhelm them!
So you will often see German tourists and locals sidestepping Norwegians who are covering in a fetus position. - That's just part of the scenery and they snap out of it when it gets dark.

And yes, I did follow the Dutch general election with interest. The nationalists everywhere are on the move. - And in two or three years in Canada as well.
Of course this is the answer, Norwegians are the European kings and queens of snow....! I asked about the Dutch elections because I was curious why DR would decide to broadcast a news clip in Dutch and because I was entertained by the Dutch response, both of which you can view below my first language is Dutch so that I was entertained by the Danish version, which sounds very German to me, unsurprisingly of course! I was however anxious to know about the Dutch newsreader's Danish, so send out this challenge to the Danish speaking members of TRFHow is the Dutch version of Danish you hear in this clip?
http://nos.nl/artikel/2163490-deens-...t-zo-leuk.html
  #172  
Old 03-18-2017, 09:01 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 14,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
Of course this is the answer, Norwegians are the European kings and queens of snow....! I asked about the Dutch elections because I was curious why DR would decide to broadcast a news clip in Dutch and because I was entertained by the Dutch response, both of which you can view below my first language is Dutch so that I was entertained by the Danish version, which sounds very German to me, unsurprisingly of course! I was however anxious to know about the Dutch newsreader's Danish, so send out this challenge to the Danish speaking members of TRFHow is the Dutch version of Danish you hear in this clip?
Deens nieuws in het Nederlands: jullie taal klinkt zo leuk | NOS
Well, I tried my best to ignore the subtitles and as such only understood one word in ten - at best.
Without the subtitles to lead me in the general direction I would have had no idea whatsoever what she was talking about.

I have a feeling it was about the same with the DK host...

Quite a few Dutch have settled in DK, particularly as farmers. There is much more land available in DK than in the Netherlands.

Apart from that we Danes have a lot to thank the Dutch for historically speaking. It was a Dutch relief force that came to the aid of Copenhagen in 1659, when DK was basically reduced to Copenhagen and under siege by the Swedes. The Swedish king having promised his men three days of free plunder when Copenhagen fell. - And free killing of Danes! After which he would have presented the other European powers with a fait accompli. I.e Sweden being in total control of the Baltic Sea.
That however was not in anyone's interest, so the Swedes had to vacate most of Denmark. But the provinces and ancient Danish lands of Halland, Blekinge and Skåne were to be seeded to Sweden.
Before that Dutch settlers had been encouraged to settle on the island of Amager, just east of Copenhagen. Bringing with them much needed know how in regards to craftsmanship and farming, including the iconic mills that are now considered typical Danish.
Dybbøl Mølle for example being a national symbol. http://newsbreak.dk/wp-content/uploa...stoffersen.jpg
Quite a few prominent descendants of Dutch settlers now officers, fought and died in a battle around that mill in 1864. - 200 years later.

But back to your question or challenge. I can read and understand the gist of a Dutch text, because it's close to German, but I can only understand very little spoken Dutch.
I firmly believe that if you can learn to pronounce Danish and Dutch correctly, all other languages on the globe is a piece of cake.
  #173  
Old 03-19-2017, 03:19 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san diego, United States
Posts: 9,146
Fantastic event. Great to see the two crown princes together. It always looks like they have a great friendship
I recently saw a movie about the escape to safety of the Norwegian baby royal, the event of which this race is based on.

Article
Kronprins Haakon slår endnu engang kronprins Frederik i skiløb | BILLED-BLADET

video interview of Frederik after the race
https://youtu.be/c7JC4KN_Vf8

and a few more pictures
http://www.birkebeiner.no/Global/Bil...2009.39.59.jpg
http://www.birkebeiner.no/Global/Bil...20760x570.jpeg
https://scontent.fmex2-1.fna.fbcdn.n...5f&oe=5925D14B
https://scontent.fmex2-1.fna.fbcdn.n...bf&oe=596C1314
  #174  
Old 03-19-2017, 07:01 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,876
Those are great photos, thank you to all those who shared them along with the articles. I always like seeing "mixed royals" together; and have admired how close Frederik and Haakon are. I remember reading about Haakon referring to Frederik as "the brother he never had", or something along those lines.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
  #175  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Well, I tried my best to ignore the subtitles and as such only understood one word in ten - at best.
Without the subtitles to lead me in the general direction I would have had no idea whatsoever what she was talking about.

I have a feeling it was about the same with the DK host...

Quite a few Dutch have settled in DK, particularly as farmers. There is much more land available in DK than in the Netherlands.

Apart from that we Danes have a lot to thank the Dutch for historically speaking. It was a Dutch relief force that came to the aid of Copenhagen in 1659, when DK was basically reduced to Copenhagen and under siege by the Swedes. The Swedish king having promised his men three days of free plunder when Copenhagen fell. - And free killing of Danes! After which he would have presented the other European powers with a fait accompli. I.e Sweden being in total control of the Baltic Sea.
That however was not in anyone's interest, so the Swedes had to vacate most of Denmark. But the provinces and ancient Danish lands of Halland, Blekinge and Skåne were to be seeded to Sweden.
Before that Dutch settlers had been encouraged to settle on the island of Amager, just east of Copenhagen. Bringing with them much needed know how in regards to craftsmanship and farming, including the iconic mills that are now considered typical Danish.
Dybbøl Mølle for example being a national symbol. http://newsbreak.dk/wp-content/uploa...stoffersen.jpg
Quite a few prominent descendants of Dutch settlers now officers, fought and died in a battle around that mill in 1864. - 200 years later.

But back to your question or challenge. I can read and understand the gist of a Dutch text, because it's close to German, but I can only understand very little spoken Dutch.
I firmly believe that if you can learn to pronounce Danish and Dutch correctly, all other languages on the globe is a piece of cake.
Mange tak for your overview of Dutch contributions to Danish culture. I also found it difficult to understand the Dutch of your Danish broadcasters and impossible to understand the Danish of the Dutch broadcaster so, at the risk of aggravating the mods, I will conclude by agreeing with you that our languages are mutually incomprehensible which is probably why English was used as lingua franca during the Dutch state visit to Denmark. I could not possibly comment on pieces of cake and Dutch/danish fluency but can say that many people (not Danes or Dutch, obviously!) confuse our two national identities!I can read Danish but doubt if I will ever be able to understand its spoken versions
  #176  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:08 PM
eya eya is offline
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 18,958
"Crown Princess Mary and the Duchess of Cambridge could be mistaken for sisters because they look so alike.Here is a look at the Royals compare in pictures"

Princess Mary of Denmark vs Kate Middleton in pictures | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
  #177  
Old 04-03-2017, 02:07 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 14,089
Spring is coming to DK and Mary has posted a photo of Ziggy https://www.instagram.com/p/BSbMUTCDyUA/

Can't say what park it is, but unless I'm very mistaken that's the Royal Theater in the background.
  #178  
Old 04-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Roskilde's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Roskilde, Denmark
Posts: 4,352


It is so nice that Mary posts and shares her lovely private pictures with us all - both pictures of Ziggy, her husband, children and her thoughts about life. A modern living Crown Princess.

The photo was taken yesterday (where we had a very nice Spring day in Denmark) in the middle of Copenhagen and show that Mary (and Frederik) with Ziggy and children openly move freely around the streets of Copenhagen.
  #179  
Old 04-05-2017, 10:36 PM
Tarlita's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Near Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,207
Great photo of Ziggy among storm lillies we call them here. I am not sure of their proper name.
  #180  
Old 04-05-2017, 10:57 PM
Princess Larisa's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: ., Croatia
Posts: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Great photo of Ziggy among storm lillies we call them here. I am not sure of their proper name.
They’re crocuses, not storm lilies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zephyranthes
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 15: January 2016 - August 2016 iceflower Current Events Archive 401 08-29-2016 02:42 AM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abdication america anastasia 2020 baby names biography bridal gown britain britannia british royal family buckingham palace canada china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing cpr daisy dna doge of venice dubai duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex earl of snowdon edward vii elizabeth ii emperor family life fantasy movie fashion and style george vi hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hypothetical monarchs interesting introduction jewellery jewelry king willem-alexander list of rulers mary: crown princess of denmark mountbatten names nepalese royal family plantinum jubilee pless prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien queen louise queen mathilde resusci anne royal court royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding royal wedding gown russian court dress solomon j solomon stuart thailand united states united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×