General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 15: January 2016 - August 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few more excerpts from the interview, which goes on sale in Australia on July 11:

Mary -
"I see my role as not just being a voice of the voiceless, but also being able to be a catalyst for bringing people and relevant actors together. I believe that in order to find solutions to some of the most pressing global challenges of today we need to take a holistic approach that requires us to consider the social, environmental and economic aspects and work together in new and innovative partnerships, maybe with people and organisations we wouldn’t have thought about working with before.”

Mary -
"I would say I’m not very good at accepting praise and recognition. I have a strong perfectionist streak, which means that, for example, if I look back over a speech I tend to focus on the bit that was not quite right, instead of everything else that was good.”

Princess Mary’s stunning Vogue Australia shoot

A few more excerpts from the interview, which goes on sale in Australia on July 11:

Mary -
"I would say I’m not very good at accepting praise and recognition. I have a strong perfectionist streak, which means that, for example, if I look back over a speech I tend to focus on the bit that was not quite right, instead of everything else that was good.”
http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...t/news-story/7756e8d80fa5e7fe20b99df8f6d76115

Thanks, JessRulz :flowers:

That's pretty much the impression I have of Mary.

it is interesting - as much as i would think of other royals, for example letizia, as perfectionists, i would not have thought of mary as a perfectionist, she seems quite easy going.

The photos are charming, even though I think Mario Testino is severely overrated: always the same poses, and the photoshopping is just too much. These are healthy, well cared for, well groomed people (and children after all) and now they just look like... dolls or something. Absolutely unnecessary.

I also don't get why this whole Australian Vogue thing is needed. I would completely understand it if it were for Frederik & Mary's enthronement. (I know only F. succeeds his mother but let's face it, M.'s just as important for the media and image machine). Why does this family need such an exposure in Australian magazines (formerly also Woman's Weekly, Australian Vogue and German Vogue)?

It would be so interesting to know how this works exactly: who approaches whom and what are the advices given.

i agree with you on both points. i don't think royals need to pose for vogue and the like in the first place - they aren't celebrities. i also agree with you on the pictures: mario testino is overrated, i wish they would have chosen something else. he lives in the shadows of what he did in the past, his current work just doesn't reflect any special photographing skills in my opinion, and this shoot is just an example of that.

What is the Danish equivalent of Vogue, and does Mary do this sort of thing in Denmark or just Australia?

that's a good point. i don't recall mary posing for many danish magazines. why is it that photoshoots are always done for australian / non danish magazines and not in denmark?

that's a good point. i don't recall mary posing for many danish magazines. why is it that photoshoots are always done for australian / non danish magazines and not in denmark?

A few months ago there were 2 interviews in Danish magazines, with photos, about Mary's work leading up to WD2016. IIRC, back then you seemed to have an almost opposite opinion ;)

Sorry, but I'm not crazy about either one of the photos. The cover one is just too ''blotchy.'' The one with the whole family is marginally better, but Frederik's head looks like it's been photoshopped in. The pose with Christian and Isabella is awkward, to say the least. Mary and the twins look good, but the top of Vincent's head is cut off.:ermm:

But why does the Danish royal family need PR in Australia? (BTW Muhler, Vogue is bought for the fashion, the glamour, the new advertisements of Prada & Dior etc. not for interviews. If you want fashion & content you'd rather buy Vanity Fair.)

Why does the crown princess who has worked so hard for women's rights all over the world need to appear with a photo like this one, so badly photoshopped the woman on this pic looks like a distant cousin of Mary's?

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/27df881cd233bd503ad4e1a0c008be83

I'm not criticizing Mary as a princess. She's wonderful, I just don't understand this communications move. It feels very 1995 to me, rather than 2016.

:previous: Thanks, Hannelore for the fashion-mag info. :)

They need PR in Australia because they are a brand. A positive brand to help promoting Denmark in general (we won't mind some Australian tourists either :D) and Danish products as well.
I would be very much surprised if a Danish commerce offensive to Australia spearheaded by M&F is not being planned.
Fashion is a major export, so M&F appearing in a magazine like Vogue is perhaps not surprising. And sustainability and environmentally sound solutions are a major and growing export as well.
Australia is a nice affluent market and we Danes are damned good traders. :D

This is IMO simply an opportunity to reach out to Australia at no costs and no controversy. So why not?

:previous: I agree Muhler. The fashion industry and sustainability are big in Denmark. Frederik and Mary a fee months ago held a dinner before the fashion week with a focus on sustainability . I believe an Australian delegation took part in the dinner. Add to this women rights and how, as Mary pointed out, women make up the majority in this industry.

There is a new image of Mary, she is such a beautiful woman.
No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

thank you for the link :flowers:. I found this quote very spot on regarding the last interview she gave to vogue Australia over 12 year ago
“When you read the first interview we did with her, she said she hoped she would prove worthy and that she had to believe that she could do it, and now she does know she can do it, so there is a difference in her level of confidence and that allows her to broaden her influence and her ability to work on things that she really believes in,” Vogue Australia editor-in-chief Edwina McCann said.

In this case, Frederik and Mary are targetting Vogue Australia because of their platform - fashion sustainability. This has been a MAJOR issue in Australia due to our geographical location - we are a lot closer to South-East Asia and the Subcontinent than the US or Europe, where issues with big fashion houses using these countries because of the low wages, etc.

a very good point!

A few months ago there were 2 interviews in Danish magazines, with photos, about Mary's work leading up to WD2016. IIRC, back then you seemed to have an almost opposite opinion ;)
Another interview that was fantastic. Thanks to our Danish members for the summaries. Mary did it for the Women Deliver conference that took place in Copenhagen and that she had a major part in. She basically attended for the 4 days straight :flowers:

On another note I believe this is the room the family photo was taken
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015..._is_strikingly_minima-a-147_1422544861792.jpg

love the family photo , it looks like Isabella was trying to put bunny ears on Frederik lol. A lot of their personalities coming through in this photo imo.
http://67.media.tumblr.com/5f3302ae13b41bc691ce7b58180c9b17/tumblr_o9p7a2vBJq1r2sn0vo1_500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the sort of thing we would see here in the UK with reality TV stars posing in Hello! This is not in the least bit 'royal' to me. Just leaves a weird taste in the mouth.

I fully expect to be trashed for this opinion, I know Mary in particular is almost untouchable on this board.

:previous:
Eh, but you haven't been thrashed by anyone, so why bring that up?

You are entitled to your opinion, which I disagree with BTW.
As long as they don't do this on a monthly basis, what's the harm?

Last edited:
:previous: agree.

We already have royals posing for Hello ;)
I think these photo shoots come with strong interviews. To promote important topics.
Just last month prince William did one of the magazine Attitude, speaking on LGBT rights and bullying. A great focus and hope his work continues with these issues.
As long it's not a monthly thing, only speaking about their charm life. These interviews can send very strong messages.
But then we also have special occasions like Queen Elizabeth posing for Vogue for a very important birthday : ) and Kate on Vogue for the special centennial issue.

I see Mary's with strong messages. It's exciting following her work.
It will be nice to read the interview in full

I have just had another look at the photo of the family together, and I've changed my opinion on it a little. I still think it's sweet and like polyesco has pointed out, it captures their personalities, however as another poster pointed out; the top of Vincent's head has been chopped off (as has Isabella's hand, too). This makes the photo seem unfinished to me, as if Testino was in the middle of editing - it doesn't look like it was ready to be submitted into the magazine.

I think it has been very interesting reading this discussion regarding the CP family's feature in Vogue. :)

:previous: agree.

We already have royals posing for Hello ;)
I think these photo shoots come with strong interviews. To promote important topics.
Just last month prince William did one of the magazine Attitude, speaking on LGBT rights and bullying. A great focus and hope his work continues with these issues.
As long it's not a monthly thing, only speaking about their charm life. These interviews can send very strong messages.
But then we also have special occasions like Queen Elizabeth posing for Vogue for a very important birthday : ) and Kate on Vogue for the special centennial issue.

I see Mary's with strong messages. It's exciting following her work.
It will be nice to read the interview in full

I fully agree with you!

Last edited:

DRF Facebook page:

"August number of Vogue Australia is dedicated to Denmark as a pioneer for sustainable fashion and equality among sexes"

This is the sort of thing we would see here in the UK with reality TV stars posing in Hello! This is not in the least bit 'royal' to me. Just leaves a weird taste in the mouth.

I fully expect to be trashed for this opinion, I know Mary in particular is almost untouchable on this board.

i agree on both statements!

:previous:
Eh, but you haven't been thrashed by anyone, so why bring that up?

it is well known that anything critisizing mary in these forums will get bashed, so i don't blame PetticoatLane for commenting on it. the reason for bringing that up is simply that it was done to other members throughout this board.

not by you mulher. you are always cordial and pleasant to everyone. :flowers:

well, you seem to keep good records of what i post then! but i highly doubt my opinion on interviews and fashion photoshoots for royals was any different though.

however, i must admit we have come a long way. mary's first vogue photoshoot, back in 2004, was all about her and her princess life. at least in this photoshoot, it is about a cause (fashion sustainability). it is certainly an improvement, if what you mean is that i approved back then of royals at least covering an important topic - so that it is not all about 'me, me, me'.

don't get me wrong. i value royals trying to promote their chosen issues. i just don't think that fancy photographs, a glamour photoshoot and the like are needed to do a good job at spreading the word.

The premise of the pictures is lovely, I think, but the execution less so. Testino has a very unfortunate tendency to crop his pictures to pieces and he's also very fond of photoshopping his pictures beyond recognition (one only need to take a quick glance at Princess Charlotte's christening pictures to see other examples of this). But hey, it's always nice to see pictures of the family – then I'll just try to live with them being edited to pieces :ROFLMAO:

Regarding royals posing for magazines... I mean, this is hardly anything new? Just last month, HM was on the cover of Vanity Fair. And even more so, if it furthers their causes (which I'd definitely argue this does, as @CrownPrincessJava said, one of the causes promoted is sustainability in fashion), what's the problem?

it is well known that anything critisizing mary in these forums will get bashed, so i don't blame PetticoatLane for commenting on it. the reason for bringing that up is simply that it was done to other members throughout this board.

Come on now, we all know that the extend of some people's criticism of Mary is extreme and that is what people on here will fire back at because unlike certain other forums, TRF doesn't tolerate spewing hatred about royals just for the sake of it. To claim that all reasonable criticism result in a "bashing" is far-fetched at best. I mean, of course there will be people who disagree with your criticism – that's sort of the point of a discussion board ;)

Last edited:
I have a lot to say about Mary I am not sure what I think about Vogue covers but I think that great care has to be taken to appear smug .. lots of people are finding life rough at the moment .. but this is ok I guess she looks Princessy in here little Palace with Princess and little Princes and Princesses .. but it is all abit untouched by the world looking .IMO .
I like Mary I am Australian but I will say that this is a little much it sticks in my neck to be honest ... I think if you feel you cannot have YOUR say here then this is a serious matter carlota and needs to be taken further ... but for me.. the photos are nice it is all just too perfect. IMO

Eeh, Mary (and Frederik, he appears in the photos as well) and the admittedly not that great photos aside, let's not start a row about an argument that hasn't even taken place. ;)

But let's rather get back to the topic, shall we?

I'm most anxious to learn what M&F has to say in their spread, but I understand Vogue isn't even on the streets yet and until then I think it will be wiser to reserve our full judgement until we learn what's in the whole article and see all the photos.

As for royals in general using medias like Vogue and are featured in such photo-series. Well, it's a matter of taste I guess. Alas, we live in a world of visual impacts. So while an article with (in this case Mary) talking about sustainable fashion and a little bit about herself accompanied by a couple of photos of her sitting and looking serious may seem more dignified, it's also more boring. :sleeping:
So such a spread, for better or worse, reach a wider audience. And as I presume most readers of Vogue are actually able to read, chances are they will actually read about what she has to say. ;)

And M&F's predecessors have used similar spreads before. In magazines as well as newsreels. Just look at the clip I posted about Queen Ingrid and Frederik IX with daughters having afternoon tea. While they actually did have afternoon tea when possible, it was also very much a PR-excersize. At least Mary in this Vogue article has a message - sustainability. A topic that has the wholeheartedly support by Danish politicians and export-sector.

Last edited:
DRF Facebook page:

"August number of Vogue Australia is dedicated to Denmark as a pioneer for sustainable fashion and equality among sexes"

Great! And Denmark’s is certainly a leader in these topics.
Lovely connection for these two countries :flowers:

Delightful pictures of the Crown Prince Family :flowers: I like that the picture is full of life, sparkling in the eyes, and fun. You know, sometimes pictures can be sort of stiff, but these ones is just full of fun, life and personality. They look to have had fun while taken the pictures :D I look forward to see more and not least read more. Our Frederik and Mary never give an interview without having something on their heart and important to say.

This has get very nice press in our Danish media and the family-picture has been spread and shared all over Facebook. The Danish Royal Family themselves also posted the picture and text on their official Facebook site and it has recieved more than 12.000 likes (more than double so many as the new official pictures of the Danish Royal Family some weeks ago) So to the DRF: Feel free to give our coming King and Queen a bit more more place at your social media pages, please. Not only our Queen Margrethe.

https://www.facebook.com/detdanskek...6903853314870/309246856080569/?type=3&theater

Last edited:
I like the family photo but the single shot of Mary and the couple photo is underwhelming. Testino is overrated, really.

I like the family photo but the single shot of Mary and the couple photo is underwhelming. Testino is overrated, really.
I've thought that Testino was overrated for a while. He took lovely pictures of Diana, but for me, that was about it. The Cambridges pictures were just ok, nothing great. I've seen much better work from lesser know photographers.

Yeah, but we will have to wait until next week, as the magazine isn't even on the streets yet.

But why does the Danish royal family need PR in Australia? (BTW Muhler, Vogue is bought for the fashion, the glamour, the new advertisements of Prada & Dior etc. not for interviews. If you want fashion & content you'd rather buy Vanity Fair.)

Why does the crown princess who has worked so hard for women's rights all over the world need to appear with a photo like this one, so badly photoshopped the woman on this pic looks like a distant cousin of Mary's?

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/27df881cd233bd503ad4e1a0c008be83

I'm not criticizing Mary as a princess. She's wonderful, I just don't understand this communications move. It feels very 1995 to me, rather than 2016.
OK, firstly I read the articles in Vogue and they are quite informative. I love the fashion I also like the pretty pictures but then I like them on here too.

Secondly, I don't think Mary gets to vet the photos prior to print and, I think Mario Testino is vastly overrated. The photos we have seen so far have been way too photoshopped.

Well, if it is good enough for QEII I have no quibble about Mary. Both lovely royal ladies remain "royal" to me.

I feel concerned that you feel you would be trashed for your opinion. Should anyone trash you I reccommend you use the little red icon and notify the moderators. Bashing and trashing is not something that is acceptable on this forum. Strangely, I don't feel any royal is untouchable on this forum except perhaps QEII who gets a pass for pretty much everything. And at 90, why not!

Delightful pictures of the Crown Prince Family :flowers: I like that the picture is full of life, sparkling in the eyes, and fun. You know, sometimes pictures can be sort of stiff, but these ones is just full of fun, life and personality. They look to have had fun while taken the pictures :D I look forward to see more and not least read more. Our Frederik and Mary never give an interview without having something on their heart and important to say.

This has get very nice press in our Danish media and the family-picture has been spread and shared all over Facebook. The Danish Royal Family themselves also posted the picture and text on their official Facebook site and it has recieved more than 12.000 likes (more than double so many as the new official pictures of the Danish Royal Family some weeks ago) So to the DRF: Feel free to give our coming King and Queen a bit more more place at your social media pages, please. Not only our Queen Margrethe.

https://www.facebook.com/detdanskek...6903853314870/309246856080569/?type=3&theater

I was also very interested in this informal portrait of a family that just happens to be royal! What fascinates me (besides the strategic cropping of Princess Isabella's rabbit earing her father!) is the prominence given to what looks like a breakfast table setting. Especially interesting is the bear container for honey as I have never seen these outside Canada. For Danish members, are such honey containers readily available in Copenhagen or did the family pick this up during their trip to Toronto and Montréal?:lol:

I was also very interested in this informal portrait of a family that just happens to be royal! What fascinates me (besides the strategic cropping of Princess Isabella's rabbit earing her father!) is the prominence given to what looks like a breakfast table setting. Especially interesting is the bear container for honey as I have never seen these outside Canada. For Danish members, are such honey containers readily available in Copenhagen or did the family pick this up during their trip to Toronto and Montréal?:lol:

They must be.
Because I noticed one of the comments referred to the bottle as a honey-bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom