General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 14: September 2015 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Thanks, Mitchell. :flowers:

That's one delighted owner! And free PR too. ;)

Wonder if Mary preferred the dark chocolate because it's healthier to eat than light?
- Which is of course nonsense! Everyone knows that all chocolate is healthy and good for you and prevents scurvy. :graduate: - Them scientists don't know what they are talking about!

Nice to see the family have arrived safely and our out and about.
The article states that they were left alone for the most part
"It was all very civilised apparently. People kept their distance, with just a few cheeky photos"

have they visited Perth before in their official visits?
Surely when they dated.

I'm wondering that too polyesco.

I've just re-read a very extensive article posted on the old "Danish Royal Watchers" website where a Billet Bladet article about Frederik and Mary's stay at the El Questro station is covered. (And translated into English by you Muhler by the look of it. :flowers: Thank you for that.)

Even if they didn't sight-see - and they may well have done so as the El Questro visit was before anyone knew about their relationship - I think they must have gone via Perth to get there and to leave.

(And a great article it is too - and still with photos of the station. CP Frederik helping out with a garden hose when a bushfire came too close to the homestead, CP Mary being persuaded to jump into a rock pool, helicoter flights and outdoor bathtubs. Must have been a wonderful trip for them.)

And if we don't see anything of the family for the next couple of days, maybe they've taken the children off there now they're older.

Last edited:
:previous:thanks Sun Lion. I briefly remember that article from when they first dated. Let me see if I can find it again. From what i remember it was a nice read. :flowers:

Last edited:
It is really different from anywhere Muhler except maybe the Northern Territory nothing like Sydney at all it is camping luxury probably for them which I hated when I went there and the area can be depending where they go be quite remote.
You are very right when you say it is different from Tasmania totally in alll ways, high end tourism though
Personally I didn't like it but then I am not an outdoorsy girl cabins and tents of all price ranges and I forget whether there is a public camp site.
Doubt they will be cooking for themselves but it is Australia at it's best and that region is IMO unexplored.

The lovely three-masted yacht "Silver Cloud" just sailed passed on Sydney Harbour. (Just after 7.00pm Thursday here. Balmy evening after a lovely day.)

We had photos in 2013 of CP Mary and her Australian family members on this - posted by Roskilde in the thread of that visit.

I'm thinking - is it possible the CP Family are here in Sydney and doing this again?

I'm thinking that because - tied to the side was one of those large military rubber duckies that went with Mary and Frederik when they did the filming on the little yatch "Xpress" that was played during their prize-giving at the Opera House. (And also when Prince Harry was here on the harbour.)

I haven't seen one of these attached to "Silver Cloud" before. (It spends summer here and is I believe owned by the Ole Lynggaard jewellery family - that's what some-one told me anyway.)

So are they now here and preparing to fly to Tasmania tomorrow in time for the big University 125th Anniversary Dinner celebrations for which CP Mary is the patron?

I'll have a laugh if photos come out and all this becomes true.

(I took photos of course, but my little camera gets too blurry when I zoom in too far, so I can't pick out individual people.)

Last edited:

No, sorry Muhler that's not it.

I'll see if I can find Roskilde's post with the photos from 2013...

...Post number 184 in the Australian visit 2013 thread has the photos that Roskilde posted of the family trip on "Silver Cloud".

My post number 221 in the same thread has a photo I took of "Silver Cloud" sitting in Farm Cove along the eastern side of the Opera House the morning CP Mary and CP Frederik made their first appearance of that visit.

Last edited:
:previous: Ah, this one: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=290743&d=1386670370

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #50, 2015.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

Who phoned the (very enthusiastic) manager of River Chocolate Company, Andrew Thomas to hear his version of the tale we by now know pretty well.
So this is what he told our reporter: "I experienced it as Crown Princess Mar and her family simply behaved like any other Australian family. Mary simply went like a normal Aussie.
Well, she stood in line like any other costumer and (she) had found a couple of our good products. Among other the Rocky Road chocolate that are pretty popular.
Crown Princess Mary sat outside and relaxed with her children and the family. The little ones enjoyed their Ricky Road ice and everyone in the part made a good impression on us. They smiled and were friendly. There were also 20-30 other costumers in our shop at the time and everything was quiet and calm".

The Ulrik Ulriksen appears to have read every single Australian media outlet on the episode because he adds the detail that an Australian radio station informed that the youngest children (read Josephine) were challenged by the ice they were eating was melting faster than they could eat it.

The paper WAtoday reports that a local asked Mary what on earth she was doing in Perth. Mary replied that she was there to visit her brother.

:previous: thank you for sharing.
It's nice that people recognize them but dont make a fuss.
Its seems the family is getting a good taste of Australia :flowers:

and checking out google maps to see where this was, I noticed a place named Denmark in Australia ;)

Why do you go to Esperance?

I had a look at Google map. Looks like a agricultural area and considering the distance from Perth, it's not a day trip, certainly not with two four year olds in the car!

So, if a UFO picked me up and dropped me in Esperance and issued me with a black American Express, what could I spend the next few days doing?

It doesn't look like a days trip but there seems quite a bit to do, beach, itzgerald River National Park and Le Grand National Park. I guess it's a nice place far away to spend with the family/children and different things to do.

Do we know how long the family have been there, was it a holiday or any private events took place?

Well, according to my travel guide there are Western Australia's most beautiful white-sand-beaches, the "Pink Lake" and 5 National Parks nearby.
And I guess something a Black American Express can't get them - anonymity!

Last edited:
Sound like they are having a lovely time with Mary's brother and family in WA, acting just like any other ordinary family. So glad they get privateness!! It seems they have been spotted around Esperance during this week but the locals have not taken pictures. The first reported sighting was Monday evening local time. After a week they have probably moved on now.

A post from Facebook earlier this week:

"When we saw them, there was nobody around. They were sitting on the grass in the sun. Mary called out 'be careful Christian and Bella' when they were on the climbing frame and Frederik took one of the children to the toilet. It was a very normal outing and so lovely to see."

A road trip? It would be a great way of showing the children their mother's homeland.
I wish them a true Donaldson family Christmas.
I'm envious of the warm sunny weather :)

Last edited:
Maybe this trip is Frederik's Christmas gift to Mary: a nice, quiet, and private vacation in her homeland. And a family reunion of more than just a few days. Hope they continue to be left alone.

A really family-friendly area then? Good. And no doubt a good way to recover from jet-lag.
By now I'm pretty sure others will have noticed them as well, but kept quiet about.

How "touristed" is that part of Australia?
Is it an area visited much by people from the east coast? Or foreign tourists?
Or will you stick out if you suddenly switch to "foreign" at the local gas station?
Also, are there local peculiarities? The Tasmanians are singled out (mostly by other Australians :p) for being somewhat singular. Akin to the Cornish in England. Is that also the case here?

Supposing they will continue along the south coast to Adelaide. How long will that take by car with four children in tow?
Or would a train ride be a good alternative?

Once in Adelaide what are must-see there if you are a little family?

Are there ferries from Adelaide to Tasmania? That would be one way to sneak into Hobart under the radar.

A really family-friendly area then? Good. And no doubt a good way to recover from jet-lag.
By now I'm pretty sure others will have noticed them as well, but kept quiet about.

Or will you stick out if you suddenly switch to "foreign" at the local gas station?
Also, are there local peculiarities? The Tasmanians are singled out (mostly by other Australians :p) for being somewhat singular. Akin to the Cornish in England. Is that also the case here?

Supposing they will continue along the south coast to Adelaide. How long will that take by car with four children in tow?

Are there ferries from Adelaide to Tasmania? That would be one way to sneak into Hobart under the radar.

There are no ferries or direct flights from Adelaide to Hobart. If they are driving to Adelaide, they could stop in Pt Lincoln, and drive via the coast into Adelaide.

We have beautiful coastlines, beaches and of course, wine regions in South Australia. They will also enjoy a burst of hot summer weather this week too!

The two "Spirit of Tasmania" ships sail between Devonport and Melbourne daily Muhler.

The day crossing is cheaper as you act as you would on a cruise ship and just mooch the day away, while the overnight journey means either getting a cabin, or what is like an airline chair in a secured area to sleep in.

There are cafes, shops, info burea where you can get your fishing licence sorted, a higher-end resturant, bars, games areas and a cinema onboard.

The fares for both people and vehicles are subsidised by the Federal Government as the crossing of Bass Strait is considered to be part of the national highway system they are responsible for.

(I'm sailing on tomorrow night's crossing, so if I spot CP Mary getting into Tassie that way I'll be straight on "The Royal Forums"! :lol:)

Here are some things the young Royal children may be exposed to in outback/country Australia, whether they are still in Esperance or indeed travelling about.

Wherever you drive you will come across road signs with a kangaroo or wombat or koala on it. I went through kangaroo and wombat country today driving down towards Melbourne. Tomorrow I will pass through koala territory when I go through Victoria.

These are meant to help save animal's lives, but there is always a lot of roadkill on the roads - dead wallabies, goannas and sometimes snakes also.

A lot of people drive through the night and it is unavoidable hitting some poor creature - plus a danger to youself and damage to your car.

Mum and Dad may have had to explain what all the dead animals are doing lying on the roads. (But maybe you get that with deer in Denmark?)

Our highway system is very civilised now with rest stops and most times with toilets along the track.

The toilets sometimes have a water tank along side to collect rainwater so the toilet can flush - but in drier areas there isn't enough rainfall to bother with this, so these are composting toilets. I think you can imagine. And I'm thinking they are not common in Denmark.

No use saying you'll go behind a bush - some place don't have that much vegetation - so hold your breath, be quick and put the lid back down to help not draw the blow-flys.

As we get closer to Christmas more cars are being decorated. People put "reindeer antlers" on the back windows either side and a red nose on the grill and go about their business looking like that.

We have a lot of native birds everywhere - both city and country. They squawk and screech, not sing, but they are full of character and are very colourful.

Today I saw sulphur-crested cockatoos, grey and hot pink galahs and green and blue parrots.

There are many types of parrots everywhere and they can put on a show - especially the cockatoos and lorikeets.

In some places the kookaburras will dive down on your picnic sandwich.

I don't think most Aussies would go to Esperance - they already have the same thing in their own area.

Sadly three German backpackers were killed there in a bushfire just a couple of weeks before CP Mary and family arrived.

Last edited:

How 'touristed' is that part of Australia? Australia is a modern vibrant country, no-one sticks out at a petrol station!

As for Adelaide, where do I start? It's a beautiful cultured city that has some of the finest dining in the country and heavenly cafes and beaches. It's also one of the most beautiful and well planned cities in Australia.

Google Womad, Adelaide Festival of Arts, Adelaide Fringe for some of the world class arts events; Barossa Valley, McLaren Vale for the better known wine growing areas (but our local hills abound with boutique wineries).

We are spoilt for choice so they will find plenty to do....... although the temperature has been 37C here today.....

Thank you, CrownPrincessJava, Sun Lion & Soula. :flowers:

So plenty of experiences for the family.
I think the twins are still too young to really appreciate Australia, even though I'm sure they thoroughly enjoy the family-time together. But for Christian and Bella it must be a fantastic experience. For Frederik as well, but certainly also for Mary. Australia is big enough for her to not have seen more than a fraction of the country.
It's also a good way to acclimatize the family, especially the children. And I bet the children have by now picked up various Australian phrases. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the twins greet the press (because i'm sure there will be a photo-op) with a g'day. (That g'dag is a semi-formal greeting in DK is another matter).

Yes, Sun Lion. If you live in the countryside here in DK, you are bound to hit something at some point. I crashed our car last year, trying to avoid hitting a fox, I think. And hitting deer is common, but they are rarely lying about, because no matter how injured they are, they almost always manage to drag themselves away from the road.
But the crows consider the highways and busier roads a buffet designed for their pleasure.
And we do have dry-toilets, mostly in connection with camping but also in many allotment gardens. I remember from my childhood how an uncle of mine always emptied the toilet over the potatoes, carrots and strawberries, when it was time to go home. - That we returned the next weekend to eat the very same strawberries wasn't given a second thought. :D

37 C, Soula? That's hot!
And yes, I'm aware southern Australia isn't so far out that the crows need to bring their own lunch-bags. I merely meant whether it's still fairly unspoiled by tourists.
Living here in Europe, you'd be forgiven for thinking Australia only consists of the East Coast, the northern outback and Ayers Rock. The west and south coast is virtually unknown, hence my stupid questions. ;)

Last edited:

I think the twins are still too young to really appreciate Australia, even though I'm sure they thoroughly enjoy the family-time together. But for Christian and Bella it must be a fantastic experience. For Frederik as well, but certainly also for Mary. Australia is big enough for her to not have seen more than a fraction of the country.
It's also a good way to acclimatize the family, especially the children. And I bet the children have by now picked up various Australian phrases. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the twins greet the press (because i'm sure there will be a photo-op) with a g'day. (That g'dag is a semi-formal greeting in DK is another matter).

Yes, Sun Lion. If you live in the countryside here in DK, you are bound to hit something at some point. I crashed our car last year, trying to avoid hitting a fox, I think. And hitting deer is common, but they are rarely lying about, because no matter how injured they are, they almost always manage to drag themselves away from the road.
But the crows consider the highways and busier roads a buffet designed for their pleasure.
And we do have dry-toilets, mostly in connection with camping but also in many allotment gardens. I remember from my childhood how an uncle of mine always emptied the toilet over the potatoes, carrots and strawberries, when it was time to go home. - That we returned the next weekend to eat the very same strawberries wasn't given a second thought. :D

37 C, Soula? That's hot!
And yes, I'm aware southern Australia isn't so far out that the crows need to bring their own lunch-bags. I merely meant whether it's still fairly unspoiled by tourists.
Living here in Europe, you'd be forgiven for thinking Australia only consists of the East Coast, the northern outback and Ayers Rock. The west and south coast is virtually unknown, hence my stupid questions. ;)
Muhler, your questions are not stupid; you are not the only one who does not know Australian geography. As a Canadian and fellow member of the Commonwealth, I am ashamed to write that I had to look up on a map where Perth and Adelaide are located! I am following this road trip (because I share your suspicion about the whereabouts of the Crown Princely family) with great interest; I will go to Australia in a few years time and am already planning my itinerary, based on what I am reading here! Many thanks to the Australian forum members, or, do I write 'Fair Dinkum"!?:flowers::lol:

37 C, Soula? That's hot!

You're questions aren't stupid Muhler, I was just taken aback a bit.

I suppose the fact that so little is known about us by the rest of the world adds to the charm of living here.
I don't think that any part of Australia is spoilt by tourists, although, like any country, we do have places like the Gold Coast which are holiday spots.
Most overseas visitors comment on the distances that you have to travel to get from one place to another.
There is also the rugged beauty of the Australian countryside that has to be experienced to be appreciated and it's great that CP Mary is giving this experience to her children.
37C is bearable but it's going to be 42C on the weekend:sad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom