General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 14: September 2015 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope this Christimas news is correct :santa:

Her&Nu writes that Frederik, Mary and all four children in most of December month will be traveling home to Tasmania to Mary's family. Here they will celebrate Christmas and Mary's sister Jane's 50th birthday (she has birthday on the 26th December).

The DRF's communications chef Lene Balleby said: "We can't comment about that yet."

I hope it's correct. It could be nice, especially for the children to try an Australian Christmas. We know last year F&M had planned to hold a large Donaldson Christmas home in Copenhagen, but had to cancel because of the large royal family Christmas at Fredensbrog, so I think there could be something about it :)

If, we will soon hear more.

Billed Bladet now confirms that the Crown Prince family will travel to Tasmania and celebrate Christmas with Mary's family this year :flowers: So I think we now can count on a Donaldson family Christmas.
http://www.billedbladet.dk/billed-b...-mikkel-beha-erichsen-hjemvendt-efter-eventyr

Billed Bladet has most likely contacted the Danish Royal Court and asked since they have been waiting to bring the news until today.

I see Frederik will be Denmark's regent until the 6th December. Perhaps the family thereafter packs their suitcases and begin the long travel (26+ hours in flights) home to Tasmania.

Last edited:
:previous:Such happy news for the family. :flowers:
I'm sure it will be exciting.

When is the school holiday? I guess we dont know the actual dates.
Frederik is the patron this year for the Women's handball tournament that goes from Dec 5th to Dec. 20th.

Either way. How nice that the family gets to enjoy their first Australian Christmas

Will I be correct in thinking the family will not all be flying together,I:e CP Frederick not flying with Christian.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Will I be correct in thinking the family will not all be flying together,I:e CP Frederick not flying with Christian.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

That has indeed been the case in by far the most cases. We'll see when they land in Australia.

Billed Bladet this week has an article about M&F going to Tasmania for Christmas.
There are few concrete details though, but nevertheless a few details worth mentioning.

Mary's sister, Jane Stephens, turn 50 on 26th December and that will in all likelihood be celebrated with the Donaldson clan who will gather in Tasmania.

There will however be a few differences for the family in regards to Christmas, not only in regards to the menu, but more importantly in regards to the presents!
In DK presents are opened on the 24th, in Australia on the 25th, and while Christian and Bella are old enough to understand that I'm not so sure the twins, and perhaps in particular Josephine will find that acceptable.
I have a feeling they will find it perfectly reasonable if Australia change the whole present-thing to the 24th. - I mean, they have (chocolate)-calendars to back their claim. No more chocolates = Christmas = presents. :D

The climate is also a bit different. Christmas in Tasmania means temperatures of some 15-25 degrees C (59-77 F).

There is no mentioning of official duties, but I should be very surprised indeed if there are none, since M&F will pend several weeks in Australia. The DRF always at the very least promote Danish commerce and Danish-Australian relations are obvious choices.
And I think it's virtually a must with a major photo call with the children, perhaps to a zoo? That's a PR opportunity too good to omit.

BB does indeed mention the 125th anniversary of University of Tasmania, which host a gala event in December.

I also think M&F will rent a villa somewhere on Tasmania rather than staying with relatives. Partly because it's nice with relatives visiting, but for several weeks?!? :ohmy: But mainly because the family is now so big it's a problem to house them - no to mention nannies, perhaps additional staff, like a stylist and so on. And it will security wise be easier to secure a villa rather than a private house in the middle of a residential area.

I also think M&F will rent a villa somewhere on Tasmania rather than staying with relatives. Partly because it's nice with relatives visiting, but for several weeks?!? :ohmy: But mainly because the family is now so big it's a problem to house them - no to mention nannies, perhaps additional staff, like a stylist and so on.

Nannies yes, but why would she have the need for the stylist to stay with the family during a private visit?

Nannies yes, but why would she have the need for the stylist to stay with the family during a private visit?

Only part of their stay, for styling up Mary at at least the gala and perhaps other events. Even though they are on holiday, they are also official representatives for DK, so I expect they do more than one official show.
And perhaps Lene Balleby and an official for the court will make a brief appearance as well?
Easier and cheaper to house them all in a villa.

Only part of their stay, for styling up Mary at at least the gala and perhaps other events. Even though they are on holiday, they are also official representatives for DK, so I expect they do more than one official show.
Are you sure you mean stylist, as in Anja Aladji?
If they attend the gala dinner, the outfit is, I'm sure, already decided. And outfits for possible other more official things.
And I'm sure a hairdresser and someone to do the makeup can be found in Tasmania ;)

Are you sure you mean stylist, as in Anja Aladji?
If they attend the gala dinner, the outfit is, I'm sure, already decided. And outfits for possible other more official things.
And I'm sure a hairdresser and someone to do the makeup can be found in Tasmania ;)

I've been talking with Roskilde about that and you may be right. It's more likely Mary will use a local hairdresser.

Then what do I know about hair? :ermm:

:previous:Such happy news for the family. :flowers:
I'm sure it will be exciting.

When is the school holiday? I guess we dont know the actual dates.
Frederik is the patron this year for the Women's handball tournament that goes from Dec 5th to Dec. 20th.

Either way. How nice that the family gets to enjoy their first Australian Christmas

I can see Billed Bladet not mentions any dates. It seems like a totally private family visit to me.

But the DRF calender has today changed Frederik from being Denmark's regent from 27th November to 6th December - now he will be Denmark's regent from 27th December to 4th December.
Mary's last official event is on 1st December. Today the DRF's calender has been updated until 10th December. And F&M (who otherwise always have lots of events every week) have no official event (so far) after 4th December.

So me think they will be traveling around 4th-5th December. And stay in Australia for 3 weeks. Australia is simply too far away from Denmark to be shorter in the country than 3 weeks. The Danish school children's Christmas holiday begin later in December and that means C, I, V, J will be taken out of school and kindergarten (if they travels on the days I think). This is perfectly acceptable when it is done so rare and mother's family live on the other side of the world. C & I will most likely get homework with them which they can do during their weeks in Tasmania.

And let's so hope the very low key information results in the media let the humble Donaldson family in peace during the Christmas.

I certainly think we will see the family attend events in connection with the 125th anniversary of University of Tasmania during their weeks in Tasmania.

Last edited:
Hopefully they will be back in time for the New Year's Courts. All the jewels and uniforms - we would certainly miss Mary and Frederik!:newyear:

Billed Bladet this week has an article about M&F going to Tasmania for Christmas.
There are few concrete details though, but nevertheless a few details worth mentioning.

Mary's sister, Jane Stephens, turn 50 on 26th December and that will in all likelihood be celebrated with the Donaldson clan who will gather in Tasmania.

There will however be a few differences for the family in regards to Christmas, not only in regards to the menu, but more importantly in regards to the presents!
In DK presents are opened on the 24th, in Australia on the 25th, and while Christian and Bella are old enough to understand that I'm not so sure the twins, and perhaps in particular Josephine will find that acceptable.
I have a feeling they will find it perfectly reasonable if Australia change the whole present-thing to the 24th. - I mean, they have (chocolate)-calendars to back their claim. No more chocolates = Christmas = presents. :D

I can relate to this, we also open presents on the 24th close to midnight .
I do hope we get a photo opportunity even though they do deserve a private vacation .

I can see Billed Bladet not mentions any dates. It seems like a totally private family visit to me.

But the DRF calender has today changed Frederik from being Denmark's regent from 27th November to 6th December - now he will be Denmark's regent from 27th December to 4th December.
Mary's last official event is on 1st December. Today the DRF's calender has been updated until 10th December. And F&M (who otherwise always have lots of events every week) have no official event (so far) after 4th December.

So me think they will be traveling around 4th-5th December. And stay in Australia for 3 weeks. Australia is simply too far away from Denmark to be shorter in the country than 3 weeks. The Danish school children's Christmas holiday begin later in December and that means C, I, V, J will be taken out of school and kindergarten (if they travels on the days I think). This is perfectly acceptable when it is done so rare and mother's family live on the other side of the world. C & I will most likely get homework with them which they can do during their weeks in Tasmania.

And let's so hope the very low key information results in the media let the humble Donaldson family in peace during the Christmas.

I certainly think we will see the family attend events in connection with the 125th anniversary of University of Tasmania during their weeks in Tasmania.

The change of regency dates also confused me a bit. Frederik became the patron of the handball tournament which takes place from the 5th to the 20th. I think.

And I agree this is a big trip and too far to be less than two weeks. It's been years since the kids have gone.

Mary and the children may leave around 4 or 5 December, but as patron of the Women's Handball World Championships, I presume Frederik won't be able to leave until the championship ends on 20 December.

Hopefully they will be back in time for the New Year's Courts. All the jewels and uniforms - we would certainly miss Mary and Frederik!:newyear:

I would be very surprised if they didn't make it back for the New Year's Courts, it's a very important state event. That means that they most likely will be back in Denmark before New Year's Eve (what with the first Court being on 1 January).

[QUOTE=Muhler;1842462]Billed Bladet this week has an article about M&F going to Tasmania for Christmas.

There are hundreds of thousand Scandinavians around the world that have happily integrated local christmas customs with our Scandinavian ones. I doubt it will even be an issue for the royal children. Open your Danish family presents on the 24th and the rest on the 25th.

I also think M&F will rent a villa somewhere on Tasmania rather than staying with relatives. Partly because it's nice with relatives visiting, but for several weeks?!? :ohmy: But mainly because the family is now so big it's a problem to house them - no to mention nannies, perhaps additional staff, like a stylist and so on. And it will security wise be easier to secure a villa rather than a private house in the middle of a residential area.

The house that CP Mary and her family stayed in during their last visit to Tasmania, in 2011, was just around the corner from her sister Jane's house in Fielding Drive.

The 1915, four bedroom, two bathroom house still has photos of the interior, and the gardens, on the internet.

The rooms seem a bit old-fashioned, but the view across the Derwent River, plus the size and it's close location only a few minutes walk from family, must have made it a good choice.

I can't post a link from my tablet, but the post-Edwardian house is named "Monomeeth", and it is located at 25 Knocklofty Terrace, West Hobart.

There are twenty three photos of the inside and outside on the "Petrusma" real-estate website if you would like to see where the Crown Prince family stayed on their last visit.

Last edited:

The climate is also a bit different. Christmas in Tasmania means temperatures of some 15-25 degrees C (59-77 F).

There is no mentioning of official duties, but I should be very surprised indeed if there are none, since M&F will pend several weeks in Australia. The DRF always at the very least promote Danish commerce and Danish-Australian relations are obvious choices.
And I think it's virtually a must with a major photo call with the children, perhaps to a zoo? That's a PR opportunity too good to omit.

BB does indeed mention the 125th anniversary of University of Tasmania, which host a gala event in December.

There are all kind of Christmas traditions in Australia depending on the background of your family so I don't see any issue with the children opening presents on the 24th.

The Danish Royal Court have now confirmed the news in a press release:

"The Crown Prince Couple, Prince Christian, Princess Isabella, Princess Josephine and Prince Vincent spend Christmas with HRH the Crown Princess' family in Australia."

http://kongehuset.dk/Menu/nyheder/den-kongelige-families-jul-2015

Billedbladet write they have contacted the royal court who confirs that Frederik & Mary will be back home in Denmark for the New Year's Courts :)

I have been expecting an Australia visit for some time now as it has been a few years since the whole family where on any type of visit - and a long time since Mary was in Tasmania. So nice she gets to spend Christmas in her homeland and let her children experience a 'different' type of christmas to what they are used to in Denmark - be warm and sunny and more relaxed than the formality of the danish court.
I expect the timings of this is also good for Mary considering recent reports of family feuds that have been circulating the papers in the last number of months.

Is this "big news" in Denmark Muhler and Roskilde?

Many Australian news websites are now carrying the report of the Crown Prince family coming to Tasmania for Christmas, although there is no detail to include apart from the actual confirmation of the trip.

I won't be suprised if it is on the evening TV news here.

Will Danish journalists and photographers also be having Christmas down-under - and away from their families and friends?

Is this something they would like to capture - if they can - the Royal children's first summer/Australian Christmas.

Well there you go - Channel Ten evening TV news have just previewed they are reporting on CP Mary and family's trip to Tassie for Christmas -

- "Royalty Down-Under for Christmas".

This will be in tomorrow's - Sunday's - newspapers too I think.

Muhler just pointing out that Australia does do present giving on christmas eve its quite common to give some gifts especially if there is a family gathering with the main presents unwrapping on christmas morning. :D

Things they might do is go to Port Arthur Historic Site or unzoo probably MONA and taste of tasmania other than that just relaxing I guess. My house is just up the road from them Im looking forward to seeing them out and about. Hope the paps dont ruin it. Tassie is a very laidback not into airs and graces I think thats why Fred seems to enjoy it when he has been here.

Last edited:
Is this "big news" in Denmark Muhler and Roskilde?

Many Australian news websites are now carrying the report of the Crown Prince family coming to Tasmania for Christmas, although there is no detail to include apart from the actual confirmation of the trip.

I won't be suprised if it is on the evening TV news here.

Will Danish journalists and photographers also be having Christmas down-under - and away from their families and friends?

Is this something they would like to capture - if they can - the Royal children's first summer/Australian Christmas.

It's been mentioned in the various magazines and tabloids, but it isn't news - yet. Not until there is an event or photo opportunity, preferably with the children.
I'm very certain there will be a handful of reporters going to Australia. Not for the entire three weeks though or however long they are going to stay.
And I think they'll survive. Several of the BB journalists at least are single.
When not on the job they might join the local Danish community for the Christmas celebrations, I imagine.

Muhler just pointing out that Australia does do present giving on christmas eve its quite common to give some gifts especially if there is a family gathering with the main presents unwrapping on christmas morning. :D

Things they might do is go to Port Arthur Historic Site or unzoo probably MONA and taste of tasmania other than that just relaxing I guess. My house is just up the road from them Im looking forward to seeing them out and about. Hope the paps dont ruin it. Tassie is a very laidback not into airs and graces I think thats why Fred seems to enjoy it when he has been here.

:p Yes, I'm pretty certain at least the twins will get a present on Christmas Eve, to keep the occupied, because at age four they know exactly when it's Christmas Eve! So if their Australian cousins have a present too on Christmas Eve, that'll be a nice little compromise methinks.

I agree, Frederik seems to genuinely enjoy spending time in Australia. And why not? Apart from the laid back attitude, he has nothing but good memories from Australia.

I've been chatting with another member and after having rubbed my forehead against a wall I have a prediction to make. Mary will travel straight to Tasmania in a few days with the twins only.
The weekend before Christmas Frederik will fly in with Christian and Bella. In that case they won't miss school, or at least no more than a day or two and he can still be present at the handball-thing.

I wouldn't surprise if Mary, Frederick and children quit their holiday in Australia at some point. Australian press became very intrusive. I can't imagine their 3 weeks in Australia without very privat photos in local magazines.

The weekend before Christmas Frederik will fly in with Christian and Bella. In that case they won't miss school, or at least no more than a day or two and he can still be present at the handball-thing.

In my experience, there is not much of importance happening in schools the lasts week (or two) before Christmas (and summer) holiday. Maybe it's different in Denmark?

M&F have been patrons of some events that they have not (been able to) attended. Maybe Frederik is present at the opening (5th?) and that's that.

Two articles from Daily Mail: As Denmark's Princess Mary is returning to Tasmania for Christmas we look at the sights | Daily Mail Online

Princess Mary of Denmark and Prince Frederik will spend Christmas in Tasmania | Daily Mail Online

Nordic: Yeah I guess Bella and Christian could miss the last week before Christmas. But when they get older, no so much IMO.

Spheno: You may have a point. Not so much due to the Australian press, but because the children have to attend school and later high school. So in five years from now and perhaps ten years ahead, they may shorten their family trips to Australia.

Australian members: How is a traditional Australian/Tasmanian Christmas celebrated? And maybe the Donaldson has Scottish Christmas traditions included as well?

I can imagine no one in the family can wait to this Christmas. I think the CP-family traveling together, therefore Frederik isn't listed as regent the 4-6th December (Joachim takes over there.) Let's hope the press with this low key information and private plan let them have private time. If there will be published a few official events during the weeks some Danish journalists will of course cover them, but I think they travel back to Denmark for Christmas Eve.

But F&M are still busy here in Denmark and has several events the next days. Tomorrow, Mary will turn on the big Christmas tree on the City Hall Square in Copenhagen. I think there's a good chance for Frederik and children accompanying her.

Last edited:
Australian members: How is a traditional Australian/Tasmanian Christmas celebrated? And maybe the Donaldson has Scottish Christmas traditions included as well?

Hi Roskilde.

I'm from Tasmania, but a generation older than CP Mary.

I don't know about any Scottish traditions, but I think a lot of the "older ways" of celebrating Christmas are still in place in Tassie - based on our Anglo-Irish roots.

While mainland Australians have taken to sea-food/barbecue Christmas lunches -the Sydney fish market's busiest times are Easter and Christmas - most of Tasmania, even Hobart, is still "small-town" and officially "regional Australia".

The big meal is Christmas Day lunch - and lunch is only used by the younger generation perhaps, if at all.

While mainland Australia has breakfast, lunch and dinner, Tasmanians have breakfast, dinner and tea - and there can be confusion if you use "dinner" for the wrong meal. (Same thing with what "this week" and "next week" mean - not the same concept, at least among the older ones.)

Santa Claus comes on Christmas Eve, so children wake up Christmas Day morning to all the gifts he brings. (Actually we don't call them gifts, "presents" is the word.)

A hot dinner is still common in Tasmania - some Christmas Days can be pleasant weather, but some can be dark, cold, windy or raining. Tasmania's best summer days come in February just as the children go back to school.

I'm having Christmas in Tasmania this year and my sister is doing a hot midday meal - though some families only get to the table by 2.00pm as the mornings can be busy with the Christmas ham on toast for breakfast and all the presents, people calling in as they go to dinner with other family members and they swing by if that is the only chance they have to see you that day.

(There are no traffic problems to speak of in Tasmania really - only about half a million people in a state that is one and a half times bigger than Denmark - so getting about is pretty quick. Pubic transport if minimal, so every one has a car. Some families have three or four cars parked about their house as, as soon as a teenager turns sixteen, Mum and Dad get them an "old bomb" of a car so they can get their driver's licence and get independant. I think this is different on the mainland where living expenses are higher and parking is a problem in the cities. I've met many people who haven't learnt to drive in Sydney - that is unheard of in Tasmania.)

My sister will probably do about eleven hot vegetables - !!! - , boiled and roasted, and three or four hot meats. Again the ham, though this is cold, but lamb, beef, chicken. Turkey has become big, and to roast a duck is pretty common too. (Goose used to be about, but if no-one is raising them on the farms for some income at Christmas, they can be hard to come by.)

A lot of people still make the traditional Christmas pudding - or plum duff as it is also called.

This is usually made about September and hung in it's pudding cloth from the ceiling of the kitchen until Christmas Day when it is taken down and heated for dessert. (Before our money was changed 1967, it was safe to put sixpences and threepenny bits in the pudding which was a thrill as a child to bite into.)

Some of this may sound odd to mainland Australians, but Tassie is quite different. Through winter most people make home-made soup and the supermarkets that are across Australia, in Tasmania, carry things like chicken and lamb necks for this. Pigs trotters, tripe, lamb's liver and kidneys etc are just now slowly disappearing from Coles and Woolworths in Tasmania as the generations change, and younger people aren't learning to cook.

Other desserts are trifle and merangue. Again, on the mainland merangue would be called pavlova, but it is merangue when in Tasmania.

Tea is the cold left-overs from the hot dinner, and most people move on to another person's house for this meal so they can get around all the in-laws and extended family members.

Usually the families with the youngest children host as it is easier for them to have access to the mountains of goodies Santa has brought without having to cart everything about and the tears when it can't all go with you to some other place.

Most people seem to have artificial Christmas trees now, though the Boy Scouts raise money by selling real trees in the weeks leading up.

The Queen's Christmas broadcast is now on TV in the evenings and I think only the older ones like to make sure they see it.

In Tasmania for many years a tradition has started of sitting down after tea and watching the Australian Dancesport Championships - which are held in Melbourne - which is now broadcast Christmas Day night.

The day after Christmas Day, Boxing Day, is the day when no-one cooks - everyone is facing a week of left-overs.

If Dad has time off work, it's in the car/caravan and off for a few weeks camping and fishing on the coast.

Everywhere turns into a ghost town - especially the first week, and then each week gets more people back as parents have to go to work.

The last few years the shops have had major sales starting on Boxing Day, but this is a bigger thing on the mainland than Tassie - going to the shack or the caravan is still bigger there I think.

Because Tasmania is a cheaper place to live, a lot of families have jet-skis, fishing boats, trail motor-bikes etc. for their children.

I wonder if Prince Christian will get to do some "bush-bashing" on a cousin's trail-bike now he is older.

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you for your very details and interesting account of a Tasmanian Christmas, Sun Lion. :flowers:

When do you have your summer holidays? December to February?

Many many thanks Sun Lion for your very descriptive and detailed description of a Tasmanian Christmas :flowers:
I almost felt like I was there myself as I read your post.

It's somewhat different than a traditional Danish Christmas, so it will be fun for the children and Frederik to try it. For Mary it will without doubt be lovely and full of good memories to again hold an Australian Christmas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom