General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 9: May - December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very typical that EB puts it that way.

But I don't think this is about distributing "unflattering" pictures. This is about intruding privacy. It seems that a certain line has been overstepped this summer (at least that's what I thought when I saw all those pictures).
Is your terrace and garden "inside" or "outside" your walls?

But I too don't think there will be a lawsuit.

For me, a line would have been overstepped if the photographers had actually entered the premesis of Chateau Caix in order to obtain the photos, but if you only need a good lens from outside the palace grounds M&F must have been aware of the possibility to be "shot".

For me, I think there is an expectation of privacy. Do we all expect private moments when we are in the confines of the home. And for some the inside definitely is a part of that but also your backyard (i.e land). When you are at home do you have a reasonable expectation of privacy? And I think you do. Just because I am in the front of my house doesn't mean I can't have private moments.

But I agree there probably won't be a lawsuit. I just think its sad that because people are public figures its automatically assumed that they are not entitled to any type of privacy at all. Even animals in a zoo aren't on display 24/7.

Even animals in a zoo aren't on display 24/7.

Neither are Royals. Actually, sometimes they arent on display for days or even a couple of weeks.

The problem is that the media wont play the game of being around only when it suits the royal purposes (at events having nice pictures taken when serving the country in order to remain popular with the public) and not being around when it doesnt.

The media has its own purposes too, and its a give and take. Therefore I dont expect there to be a lawsuit.

It's very typical that EB puts it that way.

But I don't think this is about distributing "unflattering" pictures. This is about intruding privacy. It seems that a certain line has been overstepped this summer (at least that's what I thought when I saw all those pictures).

I agree that there will probably not be any legal action. And I also think this isn't about some unflattering pictures. The paparazzi haven't broken any laws, the Danes manipulate the media as much as if not more than Diana ever did because they need to appear as if they actually do something. Unfortunately, they have allowed photographs at what should be private events and have actually sheduled the annual photoshoot at Grasten, which really isn't work or anything noteworthy...just a family getting together. By welcoming the media in on these, they kind of have a Pandora's box situation.

IMO this is just a "scare tactic" to try and get the media to back off a little, because the DRF knows any lawsuit would have no merit. If this situation is serious enough to merit legal action, they would have definitely filed lawsuits against the magazines that ran stories about Mary's greediness and taking items from clothing stores without paying, or they would threaten a lawsuit every time photographers take photographs of their children. For all the media attention Diana sought, she did actually confront photographers at least the one time and ask them not to photograph her children when they were trying to play. That situation has not occurred with the Danes.

the Danes manipulate the media as much as if not more than Diana ever did because they need to appear as if they actually do something

.lol. There's my laugh for the day :D

Last edited:
I agree that there will probably not be any legal action. And I also think this isn't about some unflattering pictures. The paparazzi haven't broken any laws, the Danes manipulate the media as much as if not more than Diana ever did because they need to appear as if they actually do something.

This is where my initial reaction is 'LOL what utter nonsense' - but of course you are entitled to your biased opinion.
Depending on whether the paparazzies have used strong tele lenses it is highly debatable whether laws were not are broken. People, royal or not, should be able to stay at their own terraces without having to look out for advanced tele photo equipment ready to capture you in situations where you rightly would presume you were in a private environment.

Unfortunately, they have allowed photographs at what should be private events and have actually sheduled the annual photoshoot at Grasten, which really isn't work or anything noteworthy...just a family getting together. By welcoming the media in on these, they kind of have a Pandora's box situation.

In your eagerness to state our negative opinion you have overlooked some basic facts: Scheduled photo ops are usual in royal families, including the DRF. If you had done some background check you would have discovered a number of recurring photo ops in other royal families like the Danish royal family's gathering at Gråsten (a tradition instituted by the late queen Ingrid). The Dutch do the same each summer (at queen Beatrix' villa in Italy, I believe); the Belgian have invited the press for photo ops with their children several times, and a number of royal families have photo ops at their recurring skiing holidays for example (not work either or anything noteworthy :whistling:).

Just because a person comments on this subject or any other for that matter in a thread about the Danish royal family (where it actually occurred) doesn't mean that person is ignorant, thinks the things they posted apply only to the DRF, or have done no research. Just because a person may not agree with anyone else doesn't mean that person's opinion is any more or less biased than any other poster. And some people get a laugh every day when they read some of these responses as well as the excessive superlatives showered on the DRF or any other royal/royal family with what appears to be a complete lack of objectivity or a complete double standard.

I actually got two laughs :D:D from these responses:

1. Because I was accused of being biased - kind of the pot calling the kettle black.

2. Because none of them dealt with any of the actual examples given - saying that other royal families do the same thing in manipulating the media doesn't negate the fact that the DRF does it.

Quit drinking the Kool-Aid!!!!

"Some people only see what they want to..." - what a load of crap.

I'm really glad on your behalf that you had a good laugh. You sounded as if you needed it :flowers:

2. Because none of them dealt with any of the actual examples given - saying that other royal families do the same thing in manipulating the media doesn't negate the fact that the DRF does it.

If you are referring to my examples of other royal photo ops you are twisting my words. I did not comment on royal families manipulating the media. I said that other royal families had recurring photo ops - just like the Danish royal family. The manipulation thing is your interpretation, not mine. Nice try though ....;)

"Some people only see what they want to" . Ain't that the truth! ;) .lol.

Privacy and media laws are different in every country as is legal recourse.
Privacy for children and intrusion of their rights also depends on local laws.

Legal action, especially in trying to protect the children, would certainly not be unheard of and may get them to back off.
Princess Caroline regularly took action regarding her minor children, however France seems to have very protective privacy laws.

Please stay respectful towards each other - everyone is entitled to share his/her opinion! Thanks!

I've noticed over the last several months there seems to be more pictures coming out of the two eldest children in situations that, for me, come close to crossing the line of what's easy to defend. Christian's recent soccer practice, the pictures taken of the family right outside his school against his parents' wishes, the pictures of Isabella alone on the terrace in France, etc. Christian and Isabella are getting older and are going to be out and about more, going to school, joining clubs, etc, so I think this would be an unsurprising time for tensions to flare between the royal house and the press.

I don't want to sound mean or rude or what not but I probably will. :lol: I can understand that Christian and Isabella are young and probably don't understand fully the press and also Mary and Frederik are bound to get angry at some intrusive shots and I have always found that the press in Denmark are more relaxed than say the UK. But, the press are always going to be there, they will always follow the family, and the kids around especially as they grow up and they'll need to learn themselves to deal with them. Those recent pictures of Christian at his football training session?, I don't think they were intrusive it was lovely to see Mary and Christian together and Christian in his RM shirt. :) I think it's all about being cooperative.

But, the press are always going to be there, they will always follow the family, and the kids around especially as they grow up and they'll need to learn themselves to deal with them. Those recent pictures of Christian at his football training session?, I don't think they were intrusive it was lovely to see Mary and Christian together and Christian in his RM shirt. :) I think it's all about being cooperative.

Completely agree with everything you said. Dealing with the media is everyday life for royals and although special rules apply for children I dont think these have been overstepped with the footie pictures, I much prefer the way the Danes deal with it = leading an everyday life with the children (football, ballet, going for a stroll etc) with media taking pictures rather than hiding their children away (by that enforcing some intrusive paparazzi shots) until at some point they become subject to full media glare and are struggling because they are not used to it and dont find it a normal part of their life what is a fact for at least the heir & spare.

By the way, the older children get, the more difficult it gets to hide them away because at some point they get bored with their restricted meetings with restricted people in restriced places, they want to be out there with their friends and do what they do, the earlier they get used to the press & accept it as a "given" the better.

they write about everything nowadays, and Mary is absolutely fine for me, and a person who has 4 kids cant look like a 20 year old. Mary will be 40 soon and shes perfect in my point of view, many women around 40 (and with 4 kids) would LOVE to be like her.

I don't think she looks exhausted...just like she's ageing gracefully and naturally, those things are called wrinkles, in case you were wondering...Most people get more (lines/wrinkles) in winter due to the drying weather...I am sure this summer Mary's skin will look plump and hydrated and gorgeous and the media (or us) will speculate about a plastic surgery junket to Australia...Did Mary get botoxed in OZ? ;)

Mary doesn't look exhausted in any of the pictures, in a few pictures taken after her return from maternity leave, she looked tired, but Duh, it was to be expected and understandable. Bunte had nothing else "shocking" to write about Mary, so they thought up the exhausted title.
I'm back after a brief time away from civilization and it's good to be here again.:flowers:

She looks a bit older...but lovely indeed!
I'am anxious to see one or two pictures of Mary picking up Christian at school, I wonder if we can get to see them onde day...:ermm:

She looks a bit older...but lovely indeed!
I'am anxious to see one or two pictures of Mary picking up Christian at school, I wonder if we can get to see them onde day...:ermm:
Hopefully not. I hope that the press will show self-restraint and respect not only Christian as a child but also the other children at his school. Unless the boundaries shift in the coming years, I think they will. They (mostly) respected the privacy of Christian and Isabella at their kindergarden in Fredensborg.

By the way - will Christian be leaving school for 3 weeks during term when travelling to Australia with his parents?

I recall that Wax from the Netherlands got under fire at home when dragging their daughters out in order to go on holiday (for M&F's children its a holiday, nothing else), is this something the Danish media will pick up on?

By the way - will Christian be leaving school for 3 weeks during term when travelling to Australia with his parents?

I haven't seen anything about that in the media yet; but either way they will be critized - either for leaving him alone for three weeks without any of the parents at home or for pulling him out of school.
I would understand it if they took him along; it's not that often he will get a chance to be with his Australian family.

They could follow the Norwegian example and declare that this trip is a "learning experience", an intensive English course for example. ;)

Wouldn't you know, it's Thursday again and another issue of Billed Bladet has hit the street.
Not that much DRF stuff this week, but some of it is pretty informative.

We have something about Mary's Free From Bullying campaign.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-september-11th-2007-a-13872.html#post1321166

Joachim was weekend-dad this weekend and a freelance reporter encountered them all on a family outing.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-part-3-january-2011-a-29788.html#post1321146

We have a Q&A about how to obtain QMII's autograph.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f178/audience-with-margrethe-4050.html#post1321149

Prince Henrik free-wheeling (idiom) at the concert at Chateau Cayx.

The Stylefinder informs us about the white dress Mary wore when she arrived at the wedding in Monaco.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...rt-13-august-30-2011-a-31800.html#post1321147

A little story about Martin Jørgensen taking the boys to school on bicycle.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...prince-henrik-part-1-a-23653.html#post1321344

Frederik attending the World Championship in bicycling in Copenhagen.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...art-5-september-2010-a-28751.html#post1321160

And this:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #39, 2011.
Christian får fri fra skole - Christian will get time off from school.
Written by Anna Johannesen.

As the attentive among you will have noticed, M&F will go on an official visit to Australia at the end of November. The twins will be with them during the official visit.
When the official part of the visit ends on the 26th November, Mary will go to Tasmania with the twins - and Christian and Isabella will join her on Tasmania.
Frederik will go to Vietnam on an official visit there.
When that visit ends on the 1st December, he will join his family on Tasmania.
They will stay on Tasmania until mid December.

Christian will therefore be away from his school for about two or three weeks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom