General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 8: March - May 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't buy the argument about there being a considerable difference in age between Harry & William and the similar royals on the Continent. They are not kids anymore and when you are in your late twenties it is actually possible to be friends with someone who are older than you and who have married and settled down.

Yes, the Swedish royals are very close in age to William and Harry, with Carl-Philip being born in '79 and Madeleine in '82. Also the Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg is born in '82 as well.

muhler, thanks for your very interesting posts re frederik's attitude, depression and newly found stability in mary.
if i'm not mistaken, you said that once you thought that joachim would have been the better heir then changed your mind, like many other danes, given that f is the nost loved one of the two brothers by the public right now.
well, i have to say that frederik must have done an amazing job in growing up, becoming more secure, accepting his role etc and also showing his insecurities and being accepted and loved his insecurities notwithstanding.
perhaps it is the first time that a royal, and a future king nonetheless, opens up so much about his personal issues, and i reckon it paid off, both for frederik, who doesn't have to pretend to be different from what he really is, and for Danish people, who should get the feeling to know frederik and his inner battles well

agree.

i think frederik is brave on making public his personal issues. lots of people has the idea that being royalty is synonimous of being healthy, phisically and emotionally, and their lives are perfect. i think that humanizes him and made him closer to his fellow citizens. i also believe that mary is frederik's rock and her support makes him more mature and a better person.

muhler, how wonderful are your posts, i coudn't say it better. i totally agree with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, looking from this side of the North Sea, that's basically what I and many other Danes feel as well.

I've followed the debate about the guestlist in the BRF thread. :hiding:
And I can't quite figure out the way the invitations have been decided on.

Okay, okay, I've seen the many arguments for this being a BRF tradition, family relations, William being the next heir after current one, there being an economic crisis going on... All of it valid points and probably true as well.
I just wish the (added: the younger members of the) BRF would start to look beyond the Channel and interact more with the other European royals.
If for no other reason than out of consideration to Kate and whoever will be Harry's wife. Kate certainly is in a unique position and there aren't that many crown princesses around, so perhaps she would like some advise? I mean, who else can she ask? William? He doesn't look much like a woman/princess to me, however supportive he may be as a husband. QEII? With all due respect, she was a princess in the early 50's.
She can't ask William's mother, she would be an obvious councellor.
Camilla? I dunno. She is, to put it mildly, in a pretty unique positions as well. A position which is very different from Kate's. Not to mention the very considerable age gap.
Then there are William's aunts? Well, Fergie is probably out of the picture, so there is only one left.

I don't buy the argument about there being a considerable difference in age between Harry & William and the similar royals on the Continent. They are not kids anymore and when you are in your late twenties it is actually possible to be friends with someone who are older than you and who have married and settled down.

The counter argument would be that if the continental monarchs wanted their children to get to know the future King & Queen of the UK they could have decided to have some of them attend in their place like the King of Sweden and the Queen of The Netherlands did. Harold and Sonja, Margarethe, Henri & Marie Therese could have stayed at home and sent the heirs or the spares to London.

:previous: I wouldn't particularly agree with that. The continental royals (regent, heir and minor alike) have always embarked upon London when invited to do so. The British royals have always seemed somewhat reluctant to return the favour.

Most gathered at Buckingham Palace for Charles' 60th Birthday, as an example.

Charles and Camilla have made one royal visit in Europe amongst their foreign 'relations' since their wedding. Spain. Be it that that was at the request of the government.

Certainly I'm not talking of frivilous trips abroad, but if you expect people to attend a christening or a wedding or anniversary, perhaps try attending an occasion they may have once in a while.

To me it looks as though Charles was happy to undertake the mission to Spain being that it's the second most popular European monarchy in the world.

His presence elsewhere, and certainly the presence of the Duchess, has been minimal to non existant at best.

Don't get me wrong, Edward and Sophie do a fine job but enough already.

I'd much rather start seeing the second or third child of Europe's monarchs attending on their British counterparts. Justified I think and long overdue.

Last edited:
Posts discussing monograms have been moved to the
The Danish Orders and Monograms
Thread

We have some general info on Mary from Billed Bladet: Billed-Bladet - Kronprinsesse Mary på job igen

Mary will return to work for a few days in the beginning of May, before continuing her maternity leave.

On 5. May she will attend the Cancer Association's awareness campaign regarding skin cancer. That will take place on Copenhagen.

On the 8. May she will be at the Royal theatre where the yearly Reumert award will be handed out.

A couple of days later, she will be present when the President of South Korea arrive for his official visit.

Then she will continue her maternity leave until the summer cruise with Dannebrog in August.

- As I thought. That indicates strongly that M&F will not go to Monaco for the wedding there.

Thanks Muhler.

As you say Prince Frederik and Princess Mary may not attend the wedding in Monaco, however I think they will certainly receive an invitation. I read somewhere that Prince Albert said that members of the IOC (maybe not all) will be invited. Perhaps we may see Princess Anne attend.
I will try and locate the article.

Thanks Muhler.

As you say Prince Frederik and Princess Mary may not attend the wedding in Monaco, however I think they will certainly receive an invitation. I read somewhere that Prince Albert said that members of the IOC (maybe not all) will be invited. Perhaps we may see Princess Anne attend.
I will try and locate the article.

I think so too. I have the impression that they are sending out general invitations for the royal families.
My guess is that the Regent Couple and J&M will go. Frederik will remain in DK as Regent.

Last edited:
Hasn't it also been said, they changed the wedding date because of a schedule conflict with the IOC?

The twins are darling, don't get me wrong, but children really can get in the way of some spectacular royal or princely occasions.

Normally now is when I'd say I'm joking, but to say that would be at least half a lie!

;)

Maybe they attend the Monaco wedding but not confirmed yet, I think it is a bit too early to judge.
So this isn't a full maternity break, you can say that she is back to work but then will take another break as I think once you start working you are out of the maternity leave.

ashelen said:
What a pity they were not inviatied to the Wedding! and I am surprise they would not recongnize KaterinaWitt, she is so ffamous!

That's unusual considering The Danes invited everybody to theirs!

What a pity they were not inviatied to the Wedding! and I am surprise they would not recongnize KaterinaWitt, she is so ffamous!
Perhaps royal houses that does not have any close relationships with the Brittish royal family only got invitations for the King and Queen. They could in turn send someone else if they choose to not attend. The Queen obviousluy wanted to attend to hence no option for Frederik and Mary.

Hmmm so we will not be seeing Mary officially again after she does her 2 royal duties in May and the official visit of South Korea? Is this for sure?

I have to say I am a bit disappointed but that is for my own selfish reasons. I simply miss seeing Mary and am having major withdrawals haha.

But I understand the need for this, since she does have 4 children to take care of of 2 of which are newborns.

No, it's not for sure. It's from a BB article, not from the official calendar.
My personal guess is there will be only a few events in May and June (wasn't Mary supposed to attend Sculpture by the Sea in June?).
July is always the holiday month. But having in mind how things are handled by the Norwegian RF (and still under shock that the Queen herself will attend the British wedding :)) I now find it likely that Mary&Frederik will attend the Monaco wedding.
And from August on Mary will have more and more events (and a summercruise).

Perhaps royal houses that does not have any close relationships with the Brittish royal family only got invitations for the King and Queen. They could in turn send someone else if they choose to not attend. The Queen obviousluy wanted to attend to hence no option for Frederik and Mary.

As has been said before invitations were sent to the reigning monarchs who got to decide if they attended themselves or were represented by other members of their family.

Hasn't it also been said, they changed the wedding date because of a schedule conflict with the IOC?

yes it's true. the wedding was supposed to be on july 8 and 9, but they changed it because of that. i read it in the spanish version of hello magazine that at that date the ioc has a reunion.

i didn't knew that albert invited the ioc members. if it's true, then wa of the netherlands is invited too. he is a member of the ioc like frederik and albert...

Hmmm so we will not be seeing Mary officially again after she does her 2 royal duties in May and the official visit of South Korea? Is this for sure?

I have to say I am a bit disappointed but that is for my own selfish reasons. I simply miss seeing Mary and am having major withdrawals haha.

But I understand the need for this, since she does have 4 children to take care of of 2 of which are newborns.

i have the same selfish reasons too.

No, it's not for sure. It's from a BB article, not from the official calendar.
My personal guess is there will be only a few events in May and June (wasn't Mary supposed to attend Sculpture by the Sea in June?).
July is always the holiday month. But having in mind how things are handled by the Norwegian RF (and still under shock that the Queen herself will attend the British wedding :)) I now find it likely that Mary&Frederik will attend the Monaco wedding.
And from August on Mary will have more and more events (and a summercruise).

i understand that she has 4 kids and 2 of them are a few months old. but i really want her back to work soon, and i really think(and hope) that m&f will attend the monaco wedding.

Last edited by a moderator:
If she is going back on maternity leave after these 3 duties then...I don't know I guess I don't see the point? Why go back to work for a few days only to go back on maternity leave? I am hoping BB has their info wrong...again for my own selfish reasons and I am sure many others feel the same way.

Maybe just easing back into it? That was my initial reaction too, it kind of seems pointless to me do to a few things, but it makes a bit of sense.

If she is going back on maternity leave after these 3 duties then...I don't know I guess I don't see the point? Why go back to work for a few days only to go back on maternity leave? I am hoping BB has their info wrong...again for my own selfish reasons and I am sure many others feel the same way.

I think that is the point/idea of the state of being 'royal'...what we see externally as work/duties/public appearances are just part of everyday life and their purpose and role...and the distinction between maternity leave and active duty/social responsibilities can be blurred because they have the means with which to be working parents as such...So I'm thinking attendance to a wedding is a more a social responsibility rather than a 'duty' and they will attend with their entourage in tow to pick up the slack...

And I think with regards to royals the term 'maternity leave' is used loosely and perhaps refers to a mental break rather than a physical one, because they have the means to return to duties straight away (with nannies, assistants, etc) but choose to spend that precious time with their kids, gradually increasing their public load as the months pass...And that's what these 3 events seem to me, just slowly easing back into it...baby steps!

I think that is the point/idea of the state of being 'royal'...what we see externally as work/duties/public appearances are just part of everyday life and their purpose and role...and the distinction between maternity leave and active duty/social responsibilities can be blurred because they have the means with which to be working parents as such...So I'm thinking attendance to a wedding is a more a social responsibility rather than a 'duty' and they will attend with their entourage in tow to pick up the slack...

And I think with regards to royals the term 'maternity leave' is used loosely and perhaps refers to a mental break rather than a physical one, because they have the means to return to duties straight away (with nannies, assistants, etc) but choose to spend that precious time with their kids, gradually increasing their public load as the months pass...And that's what these 3 events seem to me, just slowly easing back into it...baby steps!
I agree with you 100%!

The public events are just a small portion of the work. The major part of it is going on behind the scenes. (As we have seen in Kongehuset Indefra)

Will they attend the Royal wedding tomorow? I get the impressiont hat only the Queen will go...:flowers:

Another week has passed and a new issue of BB has hit the streets.

A fairly quiet week. BB writes a line or three about a wedding in England.

We have something about Mary interupting her maternity leave in early May for a few events. - That has already been covered.

Then we have an article about Fredensborg being readied for the summer. The Regent Couple have already moved in there and M&F are expected to at least stay for a number of weekends at Fredensborg. - Nothing new here.

Then we have something about QMII, who is to be honored in USA. - More on that later.

A bit about the Regent Couple staying at Marselisborg during easter. - A few lines about that later.

A well illustrated article about the hats at the christening, which will likely be available on the BB site in a few days.

A note about our Marie and her Joachim racing. - Later.

And article about la belle Marie and Joachim at a live TV-show. - Will write a summary about that, but I'll require additional assistance from other DK members.

And this:

Summary of article in Billed Bledet #17, 2011.
Fødselsdag med små veninder - Birthday with little girlfriends. (*)
Written Anna Johannesen.

M&F + children did not go to Marselisborg this Easter.
Bella's birthday was celebrated at Tisvildeleje (**) in a summer cottage owned by Juliane Meulengracht and Peter Bang.
They have two children, a son age one and a girl, Isabella, age four.
Also present among the guests were Peter and Caroline Heering and their two children.
All in all a birthday with friends and small children.

(*) Little female friends of course. Now do you English speakers realise you shouldn't stop using "sweethearts"? :p

(**) Tisvildeleje is located at the northern coast of Zealand. A summer cottage area. - Some of the cottages there are in the higher price range!
The Heerings also have a summer cottage there, and it was at their cottage that M&F spend a part of their summer holiday last year.

Me too!! I am already eager for the annual family summer photo session so that we can see M with all 4 kids. We might not get to see the kids again, especially the twins, until then.

Many people are speculating about F&M going to the royal weddings etc and the way the invitations went out, from what I saw at the christening I believe Mary wasnt keen to go to London anyway and wont be keen to go to Monaco, the twins and 4 kids in total seem to really take a toll on her, Mary looked very tired behind the make-up and will need time to adjust, I am not surprised at all by the very limited activity so far and for weeks to come. The first year or so must be really draining but it will get better quickly once the twins are up and running.

And CP Mary usually took 3 months maternity leave after the births of Christian and Isabella. I would think that she would take double that time with twins! So that her going back to a full time schedule in August sounds just about right to me!
As much as I would have liked to see M&F at the British Royal Wedding and the royal wedding in Monaco, I would prefer that the CP family is given as much time as possible to adjust in the huge change in their family circumstances. M&H and J&M are available to pick up the slack.

Last edited:
The Monacan wedding is in July so I don't see a reason for Mary not to be there.

If Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik (who is French by birth) attends the wedding in Monaco, then that's reason enough for Frederik and Mary not to attend! Invitations are extended to the Head of State and then there is a determination by the Royal Houses as to who will attend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom