General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 7: October 2010 - March 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe cute applies to the socks and not the bike. Stylish for the bike then ;)

Nope. An easychair can be stylish. A bike is "Cool" "rough" "bas-ass" etc.
And putting rhine-stones on a bike only sends one message: "I'm fabulous".

If you are to put precious metals in a bike, or diamonds, it can only be in the form of spark plugs (platinum/gold/palladium) and bearings. Never - NEVER! - as ornaments.

Does anyone know when Mary's maternity leave ends? I hope we don't have to wait till April 14th.

I don't think we'll see the Crown Princess undertake any official obligations until after the Christening of her children.

It would be a real surprise if we did.

I have a question....why isn't Fred working? He has done nothing for more than a month now....And it's not because of the twins because frankly he didn't do much work even before then. And they do have nannies. Mary is still on maternity leave and she does a lot of work even when she isn't. I know he took some paternity leave but I am pretty sure that it's done now.

But this is an honest question...why does the Crown Prince of Denmark barely do any work and his wife works more often than him?

In my honest opinion I get the impression that he is just very lazy. I'm sure not everyone will agree with me but it is my opinion.

I am not going to defend the royals and their workload and even if what they do can be classed as 'work'....but people are going to say there is a difference between 'public appearances' and working...Frederik may not be seen much in the public eye doing boat christenings and ribbon cuttings...but I am sure there IS a lot of background, paperwork, organisation that goes on behind the scenes that we just don't see...And maybe it speaks to the success of Mary and Frederik's partnership, maybe that is the unspoken compromise...'Darling, I am not very good with the public or public speaking or just generally being around people, so can you do that and I will do all the other stuff' ;)

But this is an honest question...why does the Crown Prince of Denmark barely do any work and his wife works more often than him?

In my honest opinion I get the impression that he is just very lazy. I'm sure not everyone will agree with me but it is my opinion.

Mary is on maternity leave and expected to be back after the christening. Frederik in general only does very little what would be branded in other countries as lazy etc but the Danes dont seem to mind.

Maybe in case the next activity will be vacation people start to notice.

I know that Mary is on maternity leave and honestly she usually does a lot of work anyways so I never asked about why we haven't seen her.

I was asking about Frederik because I am sorry but he seems lazy to me lol. He hasn't done much at all lately. And I am sure most royals do behind the scenes work so I don't think that is why we don't see Fred.

It's possible Frederik is regent at the moment. I'm sure some of our Danish Members will know for sure or not. But Fred does do a lot of behind the scenes work and is therefore not out and about in the public eye as much as Mary.

But Fred does do a lot of behind the scenes work and is therefore not out and about in the public eye as much as Mary.

Does he? How do you know?
And does that mean that Mary or Frederiks peers dont work a lot behind the scenes because they are out in public attending events much more frequently?

If Frederik does indeed do a lot of behind the scenes work than it must be so exhausting that he needs another holiday.

I know that Mary is on maternity leave and honestly she usually does a lot of work anyways so I never asked about why we haven't seen her.

I was asking about Frederik because I am sorry but he seems lazy to me lol. He hasn't done much at all lately. And I am sure most royals do behind the scenes work so I don't think that is why we don't see Fred.
If you have a look at the DRF calendar and compare his official entries with those of the Regent Couple or his brother and sister-in-law you will find that Frederik's workload is totally in line with the Danish ordinary.
He was Regent from 27 Feb to 10 March (with a governmental change during that period). But I guess since there are no pictures of those 12 days you don't consider it to be work?
And while I think that Mary had more events in her calendar a few years ago I am not so sure for the past ~2 years. He has definitely stepped it up.

In my opinion, being regent for 12 days in a row or sth like that counts definitely for working. But I reckon you are right in suggesting that he is having a sort of unofficial paternity leave. Queen Margrethe herself, in the interview you translated for us, said that the nre family of four are very busy, that the twins schedule is quite hard on Mary and therefore Frederik has to look after the two oldest ones.

Keeping in mind that they still have live-in nannies and other staff to their availability looking after children shouldnt keep Frederik from working unless he decides to take official paternity leave what would be ok with twins.
I bet after skiing there is some sailing on the cards.
Its the old topic - his role doesnt come natural to Frederik and he is lucky that the Danes dont mind his timeouts, at least as CP. It is likely to become a different story once he is King with everybody looking expecant to him and not to his mother anymore.

It's funny how some insist Frederik didn't work when it has been stated several times now that he was Regent for 12 days while his mother had her timeout.
During this time there was a governmental change and nowhere was it mentioned that Frederik wasn't up to the task.

It's funny how some insist Frederik didn't work when it has been stated several times now that he was Regent for 12 days while his mother had her timeout.
During this time there was a governmental change and nowhere was it mentioned that Frederik wasn't up to the task.

Lol. I am sorry but considering the fact that being a monarch is in this day and age is more a ceremonial role...what do you think he actually did? For one day he had to "fire" (say goodbye) to the ministers leaving and then say hello to the new ones. As well as sign a piece of paper. Is that what we now consider hard work? I am quite sure that the other 11 days life went on as normal. It's simply tradition that when a monarch is out of the country there is a regent. And I would think it quite troublesome if after all his years as a CP he hasn't carved out a bigger role for himself and isn't doing more work. Like his wife and like other Crown Prince's who have a bigger workload that doesn't just involve sports....What about this IOC thing that he wanted so much? How come it was reported that he barely shows up to the meetings? Other royals are part of the IOC also and they seem to manage.

But I suppose if the Danes see no issue with his workload than there isn't one. So maybe I should be quiet. Don't get me wrong I like Frederik and think he is a wonderful person but he seems a bit lazy and I think it's gone on long enough. He's turning 43 this year.

Last edited:
But I suppose if the Danes see no issue with his workload than there isn't one. So maybe I should be quiet. Don't get me wrong I like Frederik and think he is a wonderful person but he seems a bit lazy and I think it's gone on long enough. He's turning 43 this year.

At the moment, he is being a father to his new born twins. Men are entitled to paternity leave, those two children need their father right now. Frederik IMO, is a wonderful Prince and has done his country proud for the man that he was once portrayed as.
As for the IOC, where was it reported that he is 'slacking off'? The IOC presumably at the moment is concentrating on 2012, I doubt Frederik has a lot to do with things going on in IOC and is more concerned with the Danish athletes going to the games. If you look at the Olympic News on the IOC website official meetings haven't been taking place.

Last edited:
Posts & discussion on the Crown Prince family on vacation have been moved to the
Annual Holiday to Verbier, Switzerland: 2002-2011
thread

What "work" is it he's supposed to be doing? Just because there isn't a pictoral of him at all times, it doesn't mean he isn't working. For all we know, he's busy preparing for the summer season, planning events, reading up on subjects concerning the coming events etc. etc. I have no doubt Mary is smarter than Frederik and can certainly cope with more than him (publicity-wise). But this means Frederik has to work all the harder on the things he do attend, in order to not look so stupid, whereas Mary is able to attend more because she doesn't have to work as hard - or prepare herself as thoroughly.

Then I apologise. Obviously all of you are right and Frederik is very, very hardworking.

And btw...I don't judge something as "work" just because there is a picture(s).

:previous:

SBS have bought the series, it will be shown later in the year.
This also means that once it has been seen, we should be able to buy the seriesfrom Dymocks.
I am looking forward to seeing this on TV and I certainly will be buying the DVD.

I think it is actually on tonight...on SBS TWO (at 8pm), which I don't have because I don't have digital TV or set top box, so I miss out anyway!!! Grr...It's called 'The Kingdom: Behind the Scenes' Is that the translation of 'Kongehuset indefra'? I will go to Dymocks website and see if I can order it (the DVD) online...Damn you digital TV ;)

I guess we'll have to put this under general news: Billed-Bladet - Tvillingedåb: Afbud fra det svenske kongehus

The Swedish court has announced that none from SRF can attend the christening. They all have other engagements.

That's too bad. I doubt very much we should put anything into this as the DRF and the SRF are very close.
And although slightly different, the baptism of Elvis and Shirley cannot be compared to the baptism of a future heir.

Last edited:
I guess we'll have to put this under general news: Billed-Bladet - Tvillingedåb: Afbud fra det svenske kongehus

The Swedish court has announced that none from SRF can attend the christening. They all have other engagements.

That's too bad. I doubt very much we should put anything into this as the DRF and the SRF are very close.
And although slightly different, the baptism of Elvis and Shirley cannot be compared to the baptism of a future heir.

Is it possible though that Daniel could still be godfather, even if he doesn't attend? Much like Frederik is godfather to Ingrid Alexandra of Norway but couldn't attend the christening in 2004?

I think I just read that William Alexander & Maxima also will not be able to attend

Is it possible though that Daniel could still be godfather, even if he doesn't attend? Much like Frederik is godfather to Ingrid Alexandra of Norway but couldn't attend the christening in 2004?
Yes, Prince Daniel could still be fadder. As long as two of fadderne (the godparents) are present then the rest can be "godparent in absentia".

I think it is actually on tonight...on SBS TWO (at 8pm), which I don't have because I don't have digital TV or set top box, so I miss out anyway!!! Grr...It's called 'The Kingdom: Behind the Scenes' Is that the translation of 'Kongehuset indefra'? I will go to Dymocks website and see if I can order it (the DVD) online...Damn you digital TV ;)

I did have a quick look for this DVD at Dymocks and found nothing. I did watch the show last night on SBS though, it was really good, but quick. I would have liked more. I believe there are two more parts on the next two Fridays.
Also maybe they will release it to DVD after all three parts have been shown. And yes, thank god for the subtitles. :flowers:Thanks for the heads up.

That video -with subtitles - was so much better...I actually understood what they were saying ;)

I did have a quick look for this DVD at Dymocks and found nothing. I did watch the show last night on SBS though, it was really good, but quick. I would have liked more. I believe there are two more parts on the next two Fridays.
Also maybe they will release it to DVD after all three parts have been shown. And yes, thank god for the subtitles. :flowers:Thanks for the heads up.

The original had 7 episodes, so unless SBS edited them together, there are more to come :)

The SBS store has the series available complete with English subtitles from June 1st. So after they broadcast the series you can buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom