General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 5: December 2009 - July 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally some pics of the two cuties watching their father
hunting last Saturday :flowers: Not to forget Ziggy and
Mary of course :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

I didn't know Mary went.
A family traditional event. :flowers:

I wrote it in my summary of the article about the hunting
event - you can find it on the previous page of this thread :flowers:

i find it rather disturbing that the kids are taken to watch a hunt :sad:

I remember the pictures of last year where Christian was standing (or maybe even running) between those dead animals... Maybe this time it was different but I was really shocked when I saw those pictures.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #20, 2010.

Se nu springer far - Look, now daddy is jumping.
Written by Casper Nielsen.

In all fairness, it was actually his horse that did the jumping. Anyway, it was pouring down and Frederik was soaking wet when he attended a hunt in Tisvilde. Actually, they were not hunting anything alive, only a front runner with a fox tail attached to his coat.

It was the first time Frederik took part in a hunt organised by the Sports Riding Club and for the occasion he had borrowed Tinky Winkie, an old experienced horse.
The route was fifteen kilomteres long and consisted of 31 obstacles.
Frederik remarked laconically while it was raining on him: "Well, you ain't gonna get a tan from this".

Mary, Bella, Ziggy and Christian were also present. Buuut, it took some persuading before Isabella followed mother and big brother out in the rain. Apparantly she couldn't see any deeper purpose in standing in the rain waiting for someone on horses to pass by. Even if daddy was among them.
Mary had her children, dog and what not placed on a horse drawn cart and they all wheeled along to watch the start. It was raining hard!
She and the children found a vantage point from where they could spot the riders, including daddy Frederik, in the distance. No big deal in the eyes of Bella. And it was still raining. A lot!
What is a mother to do in such a situation? Hmm, place your daughter on a horse and hope her mood will improve. It did, for a while. But after a couple of hours she and the children went home after having said hello to Frederik during a break in the hunt.

Frederik however was having a great time: "It has been wet - but great. It's certainly not a sport for beginners, but fortunately I'm pretty familiar with riding". He did go thorugh all the obstacles and went with a friend to a summer cottage for a change of dry clothes and perhaps a drink.

Freds fox hunt

Thanks Muhler for the wonderful commentary and thank you Iceflower for the great pics.:flowers:
It appears that little Isabella is becoming a little lady. No point in getting your nice new wellies wet and muddy. And who wants to stand in the rain anyway?:ermm:
She maybe showing her developing personality a little here.
Fred is going is to have to pull off something really good to impress his little girl I think.

I remember the pictures of last year where Christian was standing (or maybe even running) between those dead animals... Maybe this time it was different but I was really shocked when I saw those pictures.
Hunting is a way of life for many families living on ranches and farms. Not any more disgusting than going to the grocery store and buying a steak or fishing in a stream for your dinner trout.

I think it is.
To show a 4 year old child a deer with a slit down the middle of it's chest and bleeding on the ground is completely different to buying a steak or fishing.

We've done that since humans started hunting animals.

I think it is.
To show a 4 year old child a deer with a slit down the middle of it's chest and bleeding on the ground is completely different to buying a steak or fishing.

Both.

Perhaps this is more a cultural issue?
Two generations ago Denmark was still very much an agricultural society and to this day I'd say most Danes know or are related to someone who have a farm. The notion of breeding animals for food and slaughtering them is far from alien.
I'll also say that most know someone who hunt.

If you watch Danish TV you can fully expect to see someone slaughtering a couple of lambs on prime time. (I'm referring to "Bonderøven", a popular series about a couple living on a small farm). You'll hardly hear a protest.

There are popular programmes about hunting. Also on prime time TV.

Outside the largest cities you will find few who have any qualms about hunting or slaughtering animals.

My own children have watched beached whales being disected. A lion being disected in Odense Zoo while a zoologist told them about lions. And seen lions being fed in a zoo as well. (In Givskud Zoo. They are fed about once a week, usually a dead cow). That's great hit in schools and kindergartens and they pass the feeding lions by the busload.
It was the adults who were disgusted, not the children. Once they had gotten use to the smell, they were very fascinated and interested in the disections. They talked about it for days!

You just talk with them about what is going on and they'll accept it. No bad dreams.

- While at the same time, the children watch countless murders and violence on TV. Even the childrens show can be very violent. Not to mention the news. - And that, in my experience, is something that can worry a child!

I remember reading that Mary isn't fond of hunting, while Frederik grew up not only in the Danish culture but also in a family with traditions for hunting. And I guess they've reached a kind of compromise.

Also keep in mind that the vast majority of children on this planet watch animals being killed and slaughtered on a regular basis.

Different cultures, different perceptions. Most of Denmark is basically semi-rural.

Which bit the hunting or showing a 4 year old a bleeding dead animal?

I think Mary and Fred are very enlightened parents if they let Christian be exposed to that...Most kids (city kids) being to far removed and naive about food origins, not realising that the lamb chop that they bought in a plastic tray that is now on their plate is related to Mary had a little lamb, Baa baa black sheep and in fact a real, live, once living creature...I think if you give a child (yes, even a 4 year old) the facts and realities of where their food comes from, they can make up their own mind whether on not they choose to eat meat at all...

Kids these day I feel are way to sheltered and protected to their own detriment because when they find out that their food in fact comes from a bouk-bouk chicken or a moo-moo cow or a baa-baa sheep they freak out and are hysterical and can't handle it...I think Mary and Fred are just keeping it real for Christian and hopefully instilling in him a great respect, gratefulness and empathy for what sacrifices some animals make just so we can eat...

Animals have to be slaughtered before being butchered. To do it behind closed doors does not make it more acceptable. If your family is involved in hunting and/or farming then what Christian experienced was just normal way of life.

I agree with Annanotherthing, & Muhler that children are too sheltered from reality.
I grew up in a city, but Dad's family were country people and we visited often. I remember being real little and when they went roo shooting at night. Driving along we saw hundreds and hundreds of kangaroos bounding along beside us. I remember the sight vividly. My cousins didn't shoot many, but I remember the shot ones being laid out on the lawn and being in awe. It was all okay as the adults explained everything to a little kid. What Christian is exposed to, is perfectly normal for country raised kids. He clearly doesn't find it distressing. As things are explained to him.
On the other side of the coin, these forests need careful management. And culling must take place every year to keep numbers at a manageable level. Otherwise you are going to have wild animals encroaching on towns and causing mayhem like they do in many places. This management means the hunters will only be allowed to shoot ex amount of bucks - males and ex amount of does - females. Not only that they have to pay for the privilege and it isn't cheap. This money goes into the careful management of all species in the forests.
A child like Christian will grow up and see a beautiful buck with big antlers and find it a beautiful creature worth preserving for future breeding purposes. Some nitwit city kid will go into a forest with no appreciation of a beautiful animal and blast away at anything that moves.

A pity all that rain prevented them from fully enjoying the outing with Frederik.

Mary doesn't look like Mary in the pictures. Shame they didn't attend one of the evening events.

Thanks a lot for posting, ayvee!
According to the article it's been a very short vacation without
the kids who stayed in Denmark instead. Frederik' birthday was
celebrated and one of Mary's birthday presents had been new
swimming trunks, they bought together during a shopping tour
in St. Tropez ;) The boat is a very luxurious one that can be
rented for 1,5 Million Danish kroner (around 250 000 USD)
according to Her & Nu.

The yacht is wonderful! WOW, lucky Fred & Mary. That said, I have to say this, but Mary should really take Fred to the gym or running with her, no offense, but he looks like he's getting moobs and some really not good looking rolls. I know, I know, but I had to say it! Just my opinion though.

Geez, last time it was the white hats, now its the black, do they get a discount if they buy in bulk?

Geez, last time it was the white hats, now its the black, do they get a discount if they buy in bulk?

It's Parsifal III who supplies the hats so I'm sure the owners buy in bulk. The hats are given to anyone who rents out the yacht.

Frederik and Mary were in Cannes, aboard Parsifal III (the same yacht they were invited to stay in last summer by the owners):
Frederik og Mary: Fødselsdag i St. Tropez | MSN Starlounge

Thanks for the pics, Ayvee :flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #21, 2010.
Mary og Frederik festede til søs - Mary and Frederik partied at sea.
Written by our correspondent in Cannes, Ulrik Ulriksen.

M&F went away for a weekend trip to Cannes. They were invited to celebrate the Scanomat-millionaire Kim Vibe-Petersen's 60th birthday.

M&F flew, without children, to Nice along with Jeppe Handwerk and Julie Mølsgaard. Here they boarded the yacht, owned by Vibe-Petersen, Parsifal 3. They sailed to Cannes and moored in front of the exclusive Carlton Hotel, where most of the other guests stayed.
Here the rest of the guests boarded the yacht. The weather was a balmy 30 degrees C, in stark contrast to the weather back in DK. (*)

In the afternoon the party began and the yacht sailed a bit away from land and anchored up within easy distance of a telelense.
Apart from M&F there were 35 other Danish guests present, all very familiar faces from Billed Bladet. They were treated with a lunch and a few drinks on the quarterdeck. Mary and Frederik prudently stayed in the shadow.
The evening came and speeches were held and a few hurrahs were shouted. Now it was time fro a group photo. All guests were issued a dark hat, for whatever reason, but someone was missing.. Mary. - There she is. She hastily joined the group.
A four-man band played up and there was dancing on the deck until way into the night. Our observers on land could very clearly hear the music, so it must either have been very loud and/or the wind was right.
When the party ended after nightfall, most of the guest were sailed into land but not M&F, who slept onboard.

Around 10.00 it was time for breakfast, before Mary, Frederik and Jeppe Handwerk were sailed to shore, in order to drive to the airport in Nice.

(*) And fortunately for that! Because judging from the extremely detailed report from Ulrik Ulriksen and his photographer, they must have been staying for, I have no idea how many, hours observing what was going on on the yacht.

It looks fun. I wonder if its easy for them to leave their children home. I almost didn't recognize Frederik and Mary. It's nice seeing then relaxed.

It looks fun. I wonder if its easy for them to leave their children home. I almost didn't recognize Frederik and Mary. It's nice seeing then relaxed.
in the photos i saw a little girl, i thoguht what a pity for isabella not to be here! may be they were not invated? main thing it was the celebration of somebody else and not fred,

Sometimes, parents need a llittle down time together, I suppose. Wonder if Mary's father and step mother are looking after the girls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom