General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 2: February - November 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thread about the CP couples visit to Australia and Tasmania has been reopened here.

As many of you know I do not shy away from critizing the DRF. Just look at the 1015 København K-thread! Anyway on this occasion, I think we should cut CP Mary a little slack. So what, if she did party with the Aussies, but only showed up for the flag ceremony at the Danish camp? I don't think it is such a big deal.

It's a huge deal! It goes to the heart of Mary's duties. She was paid a lot of wages to support the Danes - this was 'official duties, remember, NOT a private holiday. Boozing with the Australians was not part of the deal. Even the Australian broadsheet, mainland press has some raised eyebrows. What is even more confronting is that the Channel 7 television crew were there with permission - I know someone who works there. It was sheer PR backtracking and face-saving to say otherwise. I'm all for 'fairness to Mary' - but also keeping it real. She is on a dangerous trajectory I think - making PR errors, and not seeming to have the nous to understand that it affects Fred's position. If she can't recognise the implications of her actions, sorry, Villemann, but your hopes that Mary can do a QE the Queen Mother/George VI rescue are misplaced. I think Mary is a great girl, spirited, with a lot to offer. But she is not demonstrating strategic thinking here - and she will need it.

Well I think all this story came up because both Countries, Denmark and Australia, simply LOVE Mary. And when this kind of situations happen it's normal if some of the parts get "jealous" :)

I don't see it as a bad thing. It only means that the Danes want Mary 100% for themselves ;)
I don't expect to see Mary pretending that she doesnt like Australia anymore just because she is a Danish Princess...

Anyway, Princess Mary seemed very happy supporting the Danish athletes! She looked very proper and natural all the time. Gold medal for her! :D
I'm with you on this one Regina.

So many people seem to be blowing this "supposed" incident so far out of proportion that when you look at what really happened, you have to smile. Making much out of nothing.

It's a huge deal! It goes to the heart of Mary's duties. She was paid a lot of wages to support the Danes - this was 'official duties, remember, NOT a private holiday. Boozing with the Australians was not part of the deal.
Allegations such as these show a complete lack of balance and logic. It was confirmed that Mary was celebrating a birthday with the Australians. Whilst I am sure the was some alcohol involved, the time, place and participants involved make it a huge leap "boozing" with all the sleazy binge drinking connotations that term has in Australasia!

She is on a dangerous trajectory I think - making PR errors, and not seeming to have the nous to understand that it affects Fred's position. If she can't recognise the implications of her actions, sorry, Villemann, but your hopes that Mary can do a QE the Queen Mother/George VI rescue are misplaced. . . . .
Unfortunately "Villemann's" noxious publication is already skewing the way people view the DRF. So much so that they check their common-sense at the door.

Even the Australian broadsheet, mainland press has some raised eyebrows.

If they have, I haven't seen anything and I watch the news twice a day, as well as read what's online...

The only mention was the incident with the channel 7 team. Though that did not raise "eye brows" over Mary and Frederik's presence.

Boozing with the Australians was not part of the deal

Interesting how the only drink I saw the Crown Princess hold was a glass of water. Your definition of "boozing up" is exceptionally lax.

and not seeming to have the nous to understand that it affects Fred's position

And on the subject of 'keeping it real'...

last time I checked Frederik was an adult who's more than capable of making his own decisions, and thus, the consequences of his actions, which it might also be worth noting, would reflect his own participation I'd have thought.

But she is not demonstrating strategic thinking here

What is this? A game of chess...lol.

Let see. Danish events attended by Mary in an official capacity as HRH The Crown Princess during her week in Beijing...

Presidents Welcome Luncheon
Danish Ambassadors Reception
The Danish Royal Ballet
China in Denmark 1600-2000 Exhibition
Athletes Village
Press conference

Danish competition attended by Mary as a spectator...

Badminton
Swimming
Handball

Australian engagements attended by Mary as a guest...

Olympic Team Reception
20th Birthday

As a spectator...

Swimming

Yep! How dare she...:rolleyes:

Whilst I am sure the was some alcohol involved

I think HRH would have experienced more of a "booze up" with the President of China, than she did with the Australian athletes...lol.

I think HRH would have experienced more of a "booze up" with the President of China, than she did with the Australian athletes...lol.
Short, sweet, succinct. Madame, I like your style. :notworthy:

I'm with you on this one Regina.

Unfortunately "Villemann's" noxious publication is already skewing the way people view the DRF. So much so that they check their common-sense at the door.

I have to disagree - Trine's book was not all about Mary - the passages about the change in succession were really interesting for a public who knew nothing about it. And the explanation for Fred's sensitivity (and remember, Mary has referred to Fred's difficult childhood herself) is entirely in order. She was much tougher on Alex than Mary. It isn't a cruel account - and Trine's intentions are, as a monarchist herself - quite honorable. Longterm, the Danish monarchy would be far better off critiqued than sycophanted.

I Lena, i'm sorry too.. can we enlarge pics?

Those pics are fantastic!!! It's so nice to see the happiness on their faces!!! Great moments!!

Wow those are some wonderful pics! Thanks Lena, I really hadnt seen them!

Me too! I am melting to see a little boy who so happy to see mom home from a long trip.

Thanks Lena!!! It's really great to see Christian reaction to his mommy arrive....
Mary seems very happy too, I think she misses her child very much when she has to travel!!!

yes, i love the photos!! it must be hard to leave the kids so long1

Fantastic pictures! :wub: Nothing compares to a child's joy when mom comes back after a long time. I love to see these so genuine reactions between her and Christian. Thanks for the pics.

As this is probably off-topic in the Australian visit thread I would like to reply here:

One huge difference to all other CP families is, that it doesn´t seem difficult to photograph around the home of the family. In the past there have been many series of Christian in front of Kancellihuset...greeting his grandpa, greeting mummy, watching a tow-car, leaving for his birthday celebrations ;)...and then there have been many pics in the park....riding his bike, sitting in buggies, going for icecream, playing with an other child...

One thing to start with would have e.g. been to choose a family house, which wouldn´t be so very public. The renovations of Kancellihuset weren´t cheap, so one could actually have renovated a Villa, which would be more private.
Can you imagine the outcry that would have arisen if they had discarded Kancellihuset for another option? That would have appeared to be overdoing it in the public eye (the Danish public eye as well - and a number of posters here would remind us all of their great debts to the opinion of the Danish public :rolleyes:). Kancellihuset would have to be kept in good repair anyway; it seems prudent for them to live there, close to the place where the queen spends a lot of her time. I really cannot see that the outlay of one of the Danish castles combined with a tradition for the Danish royals not to wall themselves in can be an argument that Frederik and Mary are exposing their children excessively.
Then Blokhus was mentioned. Obviously quite a popular summer place and they had been at a public beach. Why not going to an small island instead or a protected summer place. E.g. the summer castle of the Swedish RF has a private beach at least (the pics with the ultralong lenses are really bad)
Quite popular place indeed - because it has gorgeous beaches. Denmark has lots of fine public beaches. Should it now be an argument against the CP couple and the 'over-exposure' of their children that they do not have or use a private beach??? :ohmy: They stay with friends at Blokhus, have done so before. Why on earth should they not be able to take a walk to a perfectly fine public beach!

And why do they have to go to fancy Verbier, instead of "Hintertupfing" for skiing?
Again, they stay with friends who have a house there.

Yes, I am well aware, that Denmark isn´t the NL.
Indeed they are not; or the Spanish or the Swedish or ... - nor are any of these royal houses like the Danish one. There are differences; the dwellings of the DRF may be more accessible then eg the Spanish, but it is IMO nonsensical to use that as an argument about over-exposure of Christian and Isabella. Facing the increasingly aggressive media, the DRF, or Mary and Frederik, in particular, may be forced to change a lot of things to shelter themselves more. It is sad - and I have no doubt that when they do, the royal threads will be full of sarcastic comments about them overspending on houses, acting aloof on private beaches etc. As in a lot of other things with M&F, they are damned if they do, and they are even more damned if they don't! :cool:

As in a lot of other things with M&F, they are damned if they do, and they are even more damned if they don't! :cool:
Tjaha, and why is that so :rolleyes: The eternal question ;) You have an answer, me has an answer...but both probably differ...

Someone had said, that one can´t compare the dutch&danish RFs, as the dutch would have a media code. And why does the danish RF not have a media code?
With the kindergarden of Christian, it had worked. The little fella is left alone. So I don´t say, why he can´t have the same privacy around his home.
But it needs established rules...one can´t say come-go-come-go as it is pleasing one.

Obviously the Danes so...so...so love the RF. Would they have been really upset, if their wonder CP couple would have asked several times in public to leave their kids at least alone around their home and if they would also have a media code on their homepage?
IMO the press ppl in Denmark are neither robots, nor monsters...and parents + the court have responsibilities. With the ppl on their side, it should be easy to push better protection through.

Further if they would arrange their vacation so secretly, that they wouldn´t be found, then we also wouldn´t know, what it had costed ;)
And ironically the most popular exposed vacation places are also the most expensive ones. Go and order something for lunch during the skiing season in places like Kitzbühel, Lech or Verbier---> :eek:

Well, I guess basically we are agreeing anyway...For Christian and his sister, it would be better, if they wouldn´t be in the focus of a paparazzi lense on a regular base during their childhood and years of adolescence. And that it works in other countries (Norway, Benelux and strangely even in the Paparazzi stronghold Spain) better, should make the one or an other "party" thinking...

I wouldn't accept the all-embracing unconditional love of the RF which you imply in your 'so ... so ... so ...love' comment. Most Danes do not busy themselves with the royal family - they are there, always have been - full stop.
I still do not agree with our estimation that Christian and Isabella are more exposed than the kids from the royal families you mention (by the way, were you not one of the members who complained about F&M's duty to the public when no pictures were released last year on Christian's birthday? If I remember incorrectly, I apologise in advance.)

Taking the picture 'harvest' from this week as a basis for saying that Christian and Isabella are exposed more to the media then their peers, simply does not make sense. In that case, we should have the same discussion in the week where the Spanish royals are on Mallorca, Ingrid Alexandra and her siblings are photographed in the snow around her birthday, or the three small Dutch princesses are on holiday and photographed.
If we are to make comparisons of the different royal houses, the basic conditions ought to be the same.

IMO the press ppl in Denmark are neither robots, nor monsters.....

No of course they are not. At least not the great majority employed by the serious medias which also includes some reporters and photographers who has TRF as topic.

But when it comes to thouse who feed on royalty (Billed Bladet included) I have my doubts about their ethical standards. I didn't use to, but during the last 5 - 10 years they seem to behave more and more like a pack of hyenas chasing the next "big" story or picture which can make them profit even more. This part of the danish media does not have my respect at all.

I wouldn't accept the all-embracing unconditional love of the RF which you imply in your 'so ... so ... so ...love' comment. Most Danes do not busy themselves with the royal family - they are there, always have been - full stop.
I still do not agree with our estimation that Christian and Isabella are more exposed than the kids from the royal families you mention (by the way, were you not one of the members who complained about F&M's duty to the public when no pictures were released last year on Christian's birthday? If I remember incorrectly, I apologise in advance.)

Taking the picture 'harvest' from this week as a basis for saying that Christian and Isabella are exposed more to the media then their peers, simply does not make sense. In that case, we should have the same discussion in the week where the Spanish royals are on Mallorca, Ingrid Alexandra and her siblings are photographed in the snow around her birthday, or the three small Dutch princesses are on holiday and photographed.
If we are to make comparisons of the different royal houses, the basic conditions ought to be the same.

No, I wasn´t part of "the birthday nagging" ;) As every october I was all busy with the question "Swedish CP engagement or not" ;) Well, I´ve also participated in the discussion on Trine´s book, it seems.

Don´t think, I´ve been so "stupid" and just took a "feeling" and the Australia pix as base of my statements!
Feel free to check old threads, DRW, troonopvolgers and if available the archives of mags.

Series in 2008, I can come up with:

Christian&Isabella at a christening
Verbier (paparazzi pix and official shootings)
Christian throwing stones with daddy
Miami...several series
Isabella´s birthday (official pix and pix taken of the guests arriving)
Christian & Isabella checking Isabella´s playhouse out
Mary with the kids at a horse show
Christian&Isabella waving from the balcony at Far´s birthday
Christian going with mum&Amber for icecream
Christian with grandpa in the zoo
Summer Cruise (nearly all days with pix of the kids)
Christian riding a little bike, Isabella sitting in a stroller at Marselisborg
Visit to the circus
Blokhus (several series...nearly every day got covered)
Christian hugging his mother in front of Kancellihuset.
Australia (several series...nearly every day got covered)

Can you find more series of an other Royal child in 2008?

A few series were "neccessary" (PR value) and I don´t think mini heirs should be kept from all kind of duties until their 18th birthday.
But there also are so many vacation pix and pix around Kancellihuset. The Danish public got really enough official pics...so I don´t think such pix are neccessary.
http://img14.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=48147_3_122_1008lo.jpg
But without any initiative of the Royal house, the press probably wouldn´t start to think so :rolleyes:

But still Lena, the majority of these pics are not instigated by the kids' parents. Pics from their attendance at a baptism really must be allowed! They have friends and a life after all; so must pics from dad's 40th birthday (these 40th anniversaries happen in the best of royal families as we have seen ;)), pics from attending the circus are nothing new - we have seen Felix and Nikolaj with their mum and dad doing that for years. Then the Verbier-thing was a photo-op - in exactly the same way other royals do (and the way QMII has done at Caix for years).

The 'problem' here is the paparazzies. I do not wish for my royal family to be locked up behind tall walls, to use only private facilities when they are outside etc. I would prefer that M&F be able to continue along the lines the royal family has always done; Margrethe walking freely about in Copenhagen with a bodyguard or two discreetly behind her. But times are changing and the media, also in Denmark, have become more abusive so it may be that the DRF will eventually have to take measures unseen until now to protect Christian, Isabella and any additional siblings they may have.

That is an unfortunate development - but this kind of exposure is not something which their parents have instigated or built up - so they have not in any way created a 'glass house' for their children.
They should be able to be outside in the palace garden around Marselisborg without being captured by paparazzies, but it seems they cannot now. And yes, it may be that the royal palaces are more accessible than some other royal palaces - and thanks for that! It must be the way it is preferred in Denmark then.

It is unfortunate that tabloids like Se&Hør right now seem to have fixed the new boundaries for the relationship betwen the DRF and; that is not the way it used to be.

So I still think that aside from the increasing problem with paparazzies, M&F's children are 'exposed' very reasonably to the public. Where there even any 'public' pictures of the kids from Isabella's baptism in July 2007 till the short photo-op in Verbier in February 2008? I think not.
I am pretty sure that if you peel away the paparazzi shots, the public does not see Christian and Isabella more than other royal children. And if the fact that they lead a normal life where they attend events with their children at friends', go for a walk with Isabella in a park or let Christian practise his skills on bicycle around their home are seen as exposing their children - well ... then they just cannot do anything right can they?

I am pretty sure that if you peel away the paparazzi shots, the public does not see Christian and Isabella more than other royal children.

I am pretty sure on that to!

Where there even any 'public' pictures of the kids from Isabella's baptism in July 2007 till the short photo-op in Verbier in February 2008?
Legoland, Graasten, Christian at a Xmas concert, the shooting to the interview of BT.

Further we knew days before, that Mary would watch with the kids the finals of the Rolex Farr 40 Worlds. And in the end they had posed for serious photographers as family. So very likely this was arranged.

Then the pics with the workers at Amalienborg and IMO the photographers (again certain names, certain agencies, who had them) , who did the pics of Christian with red cheeks after the hunt were also invited.

It wouldn´t be so, that I wouldn´t see the role of the "nasty" press...but this didn´t start with the birth of the kids. IMO there could have been a bit of far-sightedness before the birth of the children. Arrangements, deals could have been made. Public children also have rights and IMO it wouldn´t be that difficult to push them through...esp. not within the EU.

But as a media person, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that if there is to be a Farr 40 race in the harbour of Copenhagen and HRH CP Frederik is to participate, there is a better than average chance of his family showing up to cheer on him ! Of course they should be 'allowed' to leave the royal enclosure and watch him; and if they are friendly to a request for a picture so what? It isn't something that is scheduled - and if they had been standoffish and rejected the photo request, they would have gotten some real bad press - and some scorching remarks in these threads here as well.

Would you have seen the late queen Ingrid as exposing her grandchildren to the press during her numerous trips to Legoland? Some of the things you mention here are traditions carried on. Why look upon that as negative exposure just because M&F are involved?

Whether you like it or not, the DRF does not stay behind closed doors and high walls most of the time. That's just the way it is and has always been. If this is interpreted as deliberate exposure to the press - just too bad :cool:

I hadn´t said, that going to Legoland would be "exposure"...I was just correcting your claim of no public pix between July and February ;)
I´ve also said several times, that Royal children should do such duties. But with all those photo ops, it should be then clear, that home&most of the vacation is private.

just too bad :cool:
Well, the situation surely isn´t bad for me ;)

That's just the way it is and has always been.
And how often Paparazzi lenses were around in the 1000 years long history of the Danish Royal family? Alas...who doesn´t remember King Christian V and his "Kodak moments"...already his morning rituals were photographed through big telephotos :rolleyes:

You can turn it as you want...but in the light of other Royal families being able to avoid Paparazzi pics of their children mostly...the conclusion can only be

a ) The Danish Royal family doesn´t have great diplomatic skills and not the ability to develop smart new strategies.
The Crown Princely Couple would be weak...would lack of assertiveness.
They aren´t surrounding themselves with ppl, who could e.g. at least keep the photographers away from their home (a new thing probably...I can´t recall such pics of His Royal Higness Frederik André Henrik Christian, Crown Prince of Denmark, Count of Monpezat as small boy or of Her Majesty Queen Margrethe the second as little girl)

b ) They don´t mind the situation or would even embrace it.

Well, I tend to chalk that up to growing with the times. Media simply wasn't as pervasive in those days. There were no online publications. Pictures did not travel at the speed that they do now, and the amount of other non serious publications were negligible when Frederik was a child, never mind when Margrethe was a child. Again, two totally different situations that you can not compare. Apples and Oranges.

You can turn it as you want...but in the light of other Royal families being able to avoid Paparazzi pics of their children mostly...the conclusion can only be

a ) The Danish Royal family doesn´t have great diplomatic skills and not the ability to develop smart new strategies.
The Crown Princely Couple would be weak...would lack of assertiveness.
They aren´t surrounding themselves with ppl, who could e.g. at least keep the photographers away from their home (a new thing probably...I can´t recall such pics of His Royal Higness Frederik André Henrik Christian, Crown Prince of Denmark, Count of Monpezat as small boy or of Her Majesty Queen Margrethe the second as little girl)

b ) They don´t mind the situation or would even embrace it.

Or the conclusion is the one that reflects the reallity of the relation between TRF, the media and the danish society - the one off which neither you nor anybody else on this thread has got any knowledge about:rolleyes:.

Okay, simmer down. Things are becoming heated once again...so please chill.

GT:)
Danish Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom